Fun solutions to conworlding problems

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
cntrational
greek
greek

Fun solutions to conworlding problems

Post by cntrational »

This thread is for sharing clever, elegant, fun, or interesting solutions to problems you've faced while conworlding -- things you wanted to include, but where you did something clever to make it so. If it made you chuffed to have created such a thing, put it here. I'll use my own conculture as an example.

I wanted a dense, high population center with a lot of people, but I wasn't satisfied with generic large cities -- I wanted something that would be very interesting.

So, I created Kolrand Orbital, a combined Banksian Orbital and ecumenopolis. If you take an Orbital with the equivalent of 20 Earth surface areas, which works out to roughly a few million km of diameter and a thousandish km of width, and populate it with about the same density as Manhattan, you get 120 trillion people.

I reduced this figure to 115 trillion for Kolrand, but I find it rather pleasing to figure out a way to make ridiculous populations possible rather than just handwaving it away or over/underestimating the figures.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: Fun solutions to conworlding problems

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Isn't positing an Orbital and then populating the equivalent of 20 Earths a là Corruscant (and its ALL the population density of Manhattan!?) hand-wavey in and of itself?

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, but not very probable.

(As an aside, there is no way I'd ever want to live in a place like that. You could go your whole life never seeing trees, or a place to play like a woods. Nothing but continuous city? Blech!)
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

XXXVII wrote:Isn't positing an Orbital and then populating the equivalent of 20 Earths a là Corruscant (and its ALL the population density of Manhattan!?) hand-wavey in and of itself?

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, but not very probable.

(As an aside, there is no way I'd ever want to live in a place like that. You could go your whole life never seeing trees, or a place to play like a woods. Nothing but continuous city? Blech!)
Sure, but it's better than not doing the math and just bullshitting things out.

You'd have parks and stuff too. But I'm just really fond of cities and not very fond of natural stuff.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

cntrational wrote:Sure, but it's better than not doing the math and just bullshitting things out.
Oh, for sure! No argument there!