Symbols of Concultures

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: Symbols of Concultures

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I really like the simplicity of design there, GBR. By the way, does that stand for something?

I think this is my favorite version so far, Ahzoh:

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

XXXVII wrote:I really like the simplicity of design there, GBR. By the way, does that stand for something?

I think this is my favorite version so far, Ahzoh:

But the symbol is supposed to be red, that is the one limitation...
Red is the colour of an important character of which the symbol belongs to.
I kept asking a question in regards to colour swapping gold with torqoise, and is ignored...
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Ahzoh wrote:But the symbol is supposed to be red, that is the one limitation...
I know, but the overall effect was weird with so much yellow...
I kept asking a question in regards to colour swapping gold with torqoise, and is ignored...
It wasn't. Go back a page.

Also:

Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 08 Aug 2014 00:33, edited 2 times in total.
GBR
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by GBR »

XXXVII wrote:I really like the simplicity of design there, GBR. By the way, does that stand for something?
Thanks! And yes, they're my initials. I've had this account since before I used my real full name on the net.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

XXXVII wrote:
It wasn't. Go back a page.

Also:

Ah, see, I definitely like this one the best, and it doesn't remind me of a German (I just don't like the combination of colours) or fascist flag everytime I look at it!
I think we're good here, I'm gonna have a mini flag icon done of it.

EDIT: funny, while we are speaking of crow symbolism, I just found this picture on my facebook page:
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Theocratic republic, GBR?
GBR
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by GBR »

XXXVII wrote:Theocratic republic, GBR?
That would imply no Monarchs though, right? Which isn't the case. The nearest, horribly unwieldy term I can think of is Theocratic Union of Kingdoms and City States. Or Theocratic Union, for short. But that still doesn't really capture the nuance I'm after.
I'm actually prepping some diagrams for a dedicated thread, so keep an eye out, I guess ;)
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

GBR wrote:A family crest I just made. Three links in a chain. I'm sure it has a meaning, but haven't quite hit on it yet.
Inspired by old Japanese yukata patterns.

I've got another in the making, but not quite there yet.
Reminds me of the seal of the Safirian state of Umaront.

Speaking of Safiria, its flag and greater seal.
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
GBR
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by GBR »

Nice stuff Carl! What did you use to make the greater seal and it's constituent parts?
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

GBR wrote:
That would imply no Monarchs though, right? Which isn't the case. The nearest, horribly unwieldy term I can think of is Theocratic Union of Kingdoms and City States. Or Theocratic Union, for short. But that still doesn't really capture the nuance I'm after.
I'm actually prepping some diagrams for a dedicated thread, so keep an eye out, I guess ;)
Theocratic confederation? Supranational theocracy?
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Dormouse559 wrote:
GBR wrote:
I was thinking the same thing with "theocratic confederation". From what GBR has said, it's there's a centralised theocratic power covering a range of independent, usually monarchical, states falling under the power of said "Super-Pope". In that sense, though, is this not more of a federation:
Wikipedia wrote: By definition, the difference between a confederation and a federation is that the membership of the member states in a confederation is voluntary, while the membership in a federation is not. A confederation is most likely to feature these differences over a federation: (1) No real direct powers: many confederal decisions are externalised by member-state legislation. (2) Decisions on day-to-day-matters are not taken by simple majority but by special majorities or even by consensus or unanimity (veto for every member). (3) Changes of the constitution, usually a treaty, require unanimity.
It might be some borderline case depending on the power of the Super-Pope and the autonomy of the individual states.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Ahzoh wrote:I think we're good here, I'm gonna have a mini flag icon done of it.
Putting this here, since the Wanted Flag thread is for adding flag icons of real countries/language to the forum like :esp:.

Image & Image

The second icon there, is for Carl Miller, since the one in his sig doesn't appear to have the 3D "beveled" edge to it. I added one since his flag is just the three colors and only took a few seconds to do.

(Please re-host the image, folks, if you use it... in case I move/delete it from my Photobucket at some juncture.)
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 08 Aug 2014 00:33, edited 2 times in total.
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

Following XXXVII, here's an icon for Saltha.

GBR
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by GBR »

sangi39 wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:
GBR wrote:
I was thinking the same thing with "theocratic confederation". From what GBR has said, it's there's a centralised theocratic power covering a range of independent, usually monarchical, states falling under the power of said "Super-Pope". In that sense, though, is this not more of a federation:
Wikipedia wrote: By definition, the difference between a confederation and a federation is that the membership of the member states in a confederation is voluntary, while the membership in a federation is not. A confederation is most likely to feature these differences over a federation: (1) No real direct powers: many confederal decisions are externalised by member-state legislation. (2) Decisions on day-to-day-matters are not taken by simple majority but by special majorities or even by consensus or unanimity (veto for every member). (3) Changes of the constitution, usually a treaty, require unanimity.
It might be some borderline case depending on the power of the Super-Pope and the autonomy of the individual states.
Certainly Theocratic Federation seems to be the best fit thus far. It's a nice succinct way to explain things.

Anyway, I feel we are derailing this thread somewhat. I started work in earnest today on a document called 'Governance in Pontau: The Clergy and Polity of the Theocratic Federation of Sutzian Kingdoms'. I'll be posting when I'm done :)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

GBR wrote: Anyway, I feel we are derailing this thread somewhat. I started work in earnest today on a document called 'Governance in Pontau: The Clergy and Polity of the Theocratic Federation of Sutzian Kingdoms'. I'll be posting when I'm done :)
Haha, we may have done, yes [:P] I guess you might at least be able to take that as a good sign, though [:)] Seems the impatient few will just have to wait.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Foolster41 wrote:Following XXXVII, here's an icon for Saltha. Image
Did the same for this one, adding the bevel: Image
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 08 Aug 2014 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

XXXVII wrote:
Foolster41 wrote:Following XXXVII, here's an icon for Saltha. Image
Did the same for this one, adding the bevel: Image
Oh, that's great, thanks. I'm definitely using that one. :)
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

No problem!

I just ask that you rehost it somewhere. My photo bucket stuff is overdue for some sort of re-organization and purging of stuff, I'd hate to break your links everywhere when I do.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

XXXVII wrote:No problem!

I just ask that you rehost it somewhere. My photo bucket stuff is overdue for some sort of re-organization and purging of stuff, I'd hate to break your links everywhere when I do.
I hope you don't purge the (big) flag...
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Ahzoh wrote:
XXXVII wrote:No problem!

I hope you don't purge the (big) flag...
Nah, but lots o' stuff will move. Purging will be for super old avies and sigs from like circa '02!