Little Twelvetoes

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Little Twelvetoes

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I watched this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiUi0Bm_THY

Are any of you inspired to create a conpeople with a duodecimal system?

Incidentally, I've just reached 900 posts. Goes well with my 90-page Kankonian grammar.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Dormouse559

Re: Little Twelvetoes

Post by Dormouse559 »

Can I talk about the video instead? [:P] I wasn't terribly fond of "Little Twelvetoes" as a child. I guess it was just a bit too unusual for me. But I really love that they're explaining numerical bases in a children's song.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I never saw anything Schoolhouse Rock on TV as a child except for one time I found my little sister watching, "My Hero, Zero". When we watched Schoolhouse Multiplication Rock and Schoolhouse Grammar Rock in elementary school, we weren't shown the videos for eleven or twelve. So I was spared nightmares about sexdactylous aliens as a child.

Interestingly, 5% of Kankonians are sexdactylous.

As are Sally Caves' Teonim . . .
♂♥♂♀

Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Khemehekis wrote:I never saw anything Schoolhouse Rock on TV as a child except for one time I found my little sister watching, "My Hero, Zero". When we watched Schoolhouse Multiplication Rock and Schoolhouse Grammar Rock in elementary school, we weren't shown the videos for eleven or twelve. So I was spared nightmares about sexdactylous aliens as a child.
My parents had all the videos on VHS, so I saw all of them, which apparently is unusual for people my age. To this day, I can sing the Preamble of the Constitution better than I can say it. [xD]
Khemehekis wrote:Interestingly, 5% of Kankonians are sexdactylous.
Are they human … humanoid … not human at all?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Dormouse559 wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Interest-ngly, 5% of Kankonians are sexdactylous.
Are they human … humanoid … not human at all?
Kankonians are 100% genetically human. The sexdactyly mutation is just more prevalent than it is on Earth . . . so much that Kankonians have sexdactylous shops (similar to leftoria on Earth).
♂♥♂♀

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

The Vrkhazhi have a base-12 counting system. It also means there are 50 seconds in a minute, 50 minutes in an hour and 20 hours in a day, and perhaps 10 months in a year
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Ahzoh wrote:The Vrkhazhi have a base-12 counting system. It also means there are 50 seconds in a minute, 50 minutes in an hour and 20 hours in a day, and perhaps 10 months in a year
How exactly does a base 12 inspire division by 10, 20 and 50 instead of for example 12, 30 or 60?

Also, the length of a month will almost certainly be based on the apparent (synodic) lunar orbital period. If you are basing your culture on earth, that'll mean a month with a length somewhere in the vicinity of 29.5 days and you'll be able to fit 12 and a bit of those in a solar year.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

gach wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:The Vrkhazhi have a base-12 counting system. It also means there are 50 seconds in a minute, 50 minutes in an hour and 20 hours in a day, and perhaps 10 months in a year
How exactly does a base 12 inspire division by 10, 20 and 50 instead of for example 12, 30 or 60?

Also, the length of a month will almost certainly be based on the apparent (synodic) lunar orbital period. If you are basing your culture on earth, that'll mean a month with a length somewhere in the vicinity of 29.5 days and you'll be able to fit 12 and a bit of those in a solar year.
I was speaking in terms of base-12, I though you would get that.

1210 is equivalent to 1012, where the subscript refers to the base.
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Ahzoh wrote:
gach wrote:

Terribly sorry about that. I do live in a base 10 culture after all. Maybe it's better to just use the base subscripts at all times when there's a chance of confusion.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

gach wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
gach wrote:

Terribly sorry about that. I do live in a base 10 culture after all. Maybe it's better to just use the base subscripts at all times when there's a chance of confusion.
Except it's a lot of work typing all that on a tablet.
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

Ahzoh wrote:Except it's a lot of work typing all that on a tablet.
Well, I could say that never assume the knowledge of your reader and that tablets are anyway terrible for producing content, but maybe it's better just to leave it [:P]

A more serious request would be to include verbal clarification if formatting is difficult on the platform you happen to use.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

In my conculture, the day has 20 hours and the year has 10 months.
But the hour has 60 minutes. If the minute pointer is in 1, it means 6 minutes; in 2 it means 10; in 3 it means 16...
And 2π is 200 instead of 260.
Last edited by Squall on 21 Aug 2014 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

My family had the school house rock dvd, and we watched it in the car. Whenever we would drive anywhere. At all. Even to down the street. I can still sing a lot of it. [:x]
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

thaen wrote:My family had the school house rock dvd, and we watched it in the car. Whenever we would drive anywhere. At all. Even to down the street. I can still sing a lot of it. [:x]
Imagine my whiplash-inducing surprise Stateside last decade when I, who thought Schoolhouse Rock was a Saturday morning zeitgeist thing that went the way of Martha Raye and the Bugaloos, heard millennium tweens crooning away the old standards. [O.O] I, too, can still sing the preamble, conjunction junction, and my 3x table. Brainwashing complete across the generations. Rather terrifying, really.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

This thread is too much to handle.

First: You guys bring up the only one of Schoolhouse Rock that used to give me nightmares as a little kid (I read this as I'm typing and laugh, but anyway...). My older brother was into ZZTop, and I always used to confuse/mashup Twelve Twinkletoes with the song Cheap Sunglasses.

Second: Schoolhouse Rock. The one. The only. Lolly lolly, mon. Get those adverbs. Right here. Father, son and Lolly. [+1]

Third: Of course The Kou had to go for the Saturday morning HAIDUKEN combo-breaker dropping the Sid & Marty Krofft reference. That blew out what ever grey matter I had left from my first brain-splosion.
All ye of Tranquility Forest: Beware Benita Bizarre! Technically, I was more of a Sigmund the Sea Monster + Land of the Lost tot myself.

Wow. Just wow. Mind. Blown. Everywhere.
[O.O]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Someone who's more familiar with I am with Tolkien's work should create a parody called "Little Elftoes".

It would start:

Now, if Man had hair on his toes,
He'd be a hobbit, or so the story goes

And end:

If I help you with your English
You could help me with my Quenya
We'd play "May It Be" by Enya
Little Elftoes
♂♥♂♀

Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Let me just say that that video is nightmare inducing and should not be inflicted upon children... of any generation. It's just plain weird, and in the end, doesn't really teach much about multiplying, but makes one think of mutant aliens.

I didn't know there were any other Schoolhouse Rock songs besides for conjunctions and the constitution. Thank goodness, because I hated those when I saw them.

However, I do love Base 12! Duodecimal, FTW!
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

XXXVII wrote:Let me just say that that video is nightmare inducing and should not be inflicted upon children... of any generation.
Oh come now...

ImageImageImage

Man up! [}:D]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

It was primarily exaggeration for somewhat comedic effect, but you raise a good point...

People have been traumatizing their children with bizarre stories of dismemberment and such for centuries.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

XXXVII wrote:People have been traumatizing their children with bizarre stories of dismemberment and such for centuries.
Daumenschneider for Base 8, anyone? [}:D]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名