Cultures of Dinyoran

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Cultures of Dinyoran

Post by Micamo »

Ossicone wrote:
Micamo wrote: What is the biggest sexual taboo?

A Lady doesn't think about such things.
Apparently it's thinking about sex. :)
Not really thinking about sex, but thinking about things that could be "taboo." What kind of Lady daydreams about coprophagy, for example, even if she thinks of it in a negative light? Of course no one is going to know if you have these thoughts but they are not to be discussed or acknowledged. Ever.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Questions of Manners

Who speaks first at a formal gathering?

The host.

What kinds of gifts are considered in extremely bad taste?

Pretty much the only acceptable gifts are extravagant clothes and jewelry. Giving someone something more practical implies you don't think they're capable of taking care of themselves. The only exception is if the practical item is also something extravagantly made, like an artfully-crafted clock.

How do younger adults address their elders?

The same as they would address someone of their own age and position.

What colors are associated with power? With virtue? With death?

Black is associated with love and feeling; White with power and strength.

If two men get into a fight, how is this supposed to be resolved?

A female steps in to break them up.

If two women get into a fight, how should that be resolved?

Ladies don't do such things. If it does happen then everyone else around tries to break them up. To resort to brute force to solve your problems makes you no better than an animal.

When is it rude to laugh at something funny?

Whenever the speaker wasn't trying to be funny. The Agyon love a good joke so sometimes this can be really hard to tell. If everyone else laughs though it is okay.

What kinds of questions cannot be asked in public? In private? At all?

Personal questions are frowned upon in all cases, but sometimes it is understood that the person asking just needs to know for whatever reason. In public it is considered rude to discuss business matters.

How do people demonstrate grief?

They all react in different ways. Agyon have an average lifespan of about 3000 years, and can potentially live much longer. For an Agyon to die at all is an incredibly rare event. So when it happens nobody really knows what to do. Some go into a deep sadness and refuse to leave their home for months. Others are overcome with anger. And others still just deny it happened at all.

What does this society do with their corpses?

Cremation.

What kinds of jewelry do people wear? And when?

Gold and silver rings and earrings are an everyday thing. For a more formal occasion pendants and other pieces of jewelry made of Zande and gemstones may be worn. A Lady never wearing any jewelry is a sign of not being able to take care of herself; A Lady wearing too much is desperate for attention.

Who inherits property? Titles? Position?

Agyon do not normally plan to die. The previous holder may choose to designate a person to leave their things with, but most of the time when it happens it is unexpected and no such plans were made.

What happens to those suffering from extreme mental illness?

So long as they aren't a burden on anyone else they're left alone. Those who cause trouble are treated no differently from any other.

What are the most popular games? How important are they?

Anything involving logic. Arathen (similar to Go) is the most popular. A skilled Arathen player is highly respected.

What parts of the body are routinely covered?

In females, all of them except the face. Even gloves are a requirement.

How private are bodily functions like bathing or defecating?

Extremely private. Only a mate can join a person bathing and no one else can be around during trips to the bathroom.

How do people react to physical deformity?

They most often treat them as diseased.

When and how does someone go from child to adult?

Children leave their mother's care at a very young age compared to humans, at around the age of 40 to 60. (Remember, Agyon live for thousands of years. At this age they're practically still infants)

My shitty twitter
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

Do the Agyon have an equivelent of testosterone. If so do the females posses it.
One just isn't enough.

I am praying for you all, with sincerity and on occasion gritted teeth.

Mathew 5:43-44

I seldom think before I speak.
That requires patience, an art I have little practice in.

-Pe King, I hope.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Pe King wrote:Do the Agyon have an equivelent of testosterone. If so do the females posses it.
Yes, but it's in the males. Females grow to be bigger and stronger than the males, and this is a common pattern in many species. Female Agyon are not generally aggressive.

My shitty twitter
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

Ok thank you. I think your conpeople are intrestingt the reason I asked about the testosterone is their sex drive, and size.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Their sex drive is actually very muted: Once every 6 months is considered a lot.

My shitty twitter
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Are clothing and jewelry limited only to the human form?

What happens to their clothing/jewelry when they transform?

What about male attire? Do they get jewelry?

Do they like sudoku? (I used to have an addiction.)

What if an Agyon is getting up there, like say 3001, do they then start considering death?

So, if they're cremated, does that mean dragons aren't fire proof? Can they die in either form? Or are the reverted to a certain form upon death?
Micamo wrote: Not really thinking about sex, but thinking about things that could be "taboo." What kind of Lady daydreams about coprophagy, for example, even if she thinks of it in a negative light? Of course no one is going to know if you have these thoughts but they are not to be discussed or acknowledged. Ever.
Guilt guilt guilt. It's amazing how it affects people to think about something even if they know they can't be caught.

I guess there's no Dragon-Orgyland. :P
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Ossicone wrote:Are clothing and jewelry limited only to the human form?
Generally, yes. Women can go around naked in dragon-form no problem.

Don't ask.
What happens to their clothing/jewelry when they transform?
It vanishes, then returns when they transform back. Having whatever they're wearing get destroyed when they transform would be a pain in the ass, just running around naked in the snow in human-form wouldn't work, and I tried to come up with a biological explanation of their clothes fusing with them inside their body when they change forms or something but I couldn't get it to be any more believable than just saying "magic."
What about male attire? Do they get jewelry?
Yes, even earrings. Actually, males with mates are supposed to wear even more jewelry than females.
Do they like sudoku? (I used to have an addiction.)
They don't have sudoku, but I'm sure they would if they did. I like it too :3
What if an Agyon is getting up there, like say 3001, do they then start considering death?
If they hadn't done so before then they wouldn't after hitting the big 3. Age doesn't really affect their mindset as Agyon technically don't age. Once they reach adulthood they stay that way forever. The only way an Agyon can die is from starvation, accidents, etc. 3000 is just an average. Most assume that it just won't ever happen.
So, if they're cremated, does that mean dragons aren't fire proof? Can they die in either form? Or are the reverted to a certain form upon death?
They aren't fire proof. Why would they be? They can't breathe fire if that's what you were thinking. Silly Vozon :3

They can die in either form.
Guilt guilt guilt. It's amazing how it affects people to think about something even if they know they can't be caught.

There is. Just nobody wants to admit there is.

My shitty twitter
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Silly Vozon :3
:O
There is. Just nobody wants to admit there is.[/quote]

lol. But it's only open once every six years!
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

Is Dinyoran by any chance related to the word dinosaur?
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Pe King wrote:Is Dinyoran by any chance related to the word dinosaur?
It's the Agyonnar word for the planet, pronounced [diˈɲɔˌɹan]. The different cultures call it different things, like S'eqkvat [sʼəqˈkʘɐt], Hhaõno [ˈɦaõno], Verkt [βɚqt], and Gheondyyl [ɣønˈdyːɫ].

My shitty twitter
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

A few Agyon-revisions;

Changed sizes to be a bit less ridiculous. Males in Agyonor are now between 15-20 ft., Females 25-35 ft. Still a wide range in sizes but not nearly as much as before. Now males aren't completely useless in a fight compared to females.

Given the proximity and number of volcanoes in my new geography, I've done something a little crazy. Agyon now build their cities DIRECTLY in the lava flows, rather than avoiding them. They draw heat from it and use it as a plentiful source of energy.

Due to their now-close proximity to heat, I've also done away with their "need to be cold all the time" condition.

My shitty twitter