My Conpeople

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Re: My Conpeople

Post by Ossicone »

Micamo wrote:
(m) What secret vice actually is practiced?
~ *************
What? If you're worried about offending someone then don't be. We're (mostly) adults here.
What if we're a childish adult?
(p) How do the genders dress?
~ However you'd like.

(r) What professions or activities are considered masculine?
~ N/A

(s) What professions or activities are viewed as feminine?
~ N/A
I know it might violate your sacred ideal of perfect gender equality but this is neither realistic nor desirable.
Indeed. Even the Inyauk dress differently. (I still haven't gotten around to drawing the pictures.)
(u) What is the biggest sexual taboo?
~ Ear sex.
And you were afraid to say this before? :/

Also, how does it fit?
Hahahahahahahahahaha. lol.
I hope, because they're elves, this can go both ways.
:P
(e) If two men get into a fight, how is this supposed to be resolved?
~ It is not. Duels are until one gives in. You are banished to a different town, until you return to the one you began at. You are then considered a weak fighter and offered free and special training.
...I don't even know how to respond to this.
Weak. Death or nothing. :D
(i) How do people demonstrate grief?
~ If a person loses a Soulmate, they usually sail away from the island and never return. No one knows where they go. They simply do not answer, and do not speak.
Why? Where do they actually go?
I'm going to assume they die.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Ainuke wrote:No. They're just very frickin' comfy. They havn't faced any real threats at all.
If there are no 'real' threats that these people have had to face, why is there dueling? Why is someone given free training if he is a weak fighter if there is no actual reason to learn to defend one's self?
Ainuke
sinic
sinic

Post by Ainuke »

It's a sport. ;]

I forgot to mention that these people do indeed come from a society that's basically the same as medieval ones, so they did have to fight, thus why they know how to.
Vasak Kseni du Lamisa Sensen sen.
Native: :eng:
Learning: :deu: :con: Daljetz
Interest: :esp:
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Ossicone wrote:What if we're a childish adult?
Oh ha ha.
Hahahahahahahahahaha. lol.
I hope, because they're elves, this can go both ways.
:P
No matter how this goes one body part is going to have unfortunately ridiculous proportions.
I'm going to assume they die.
Yeah but why do they mysteriously leave?
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Ainuke wrote:It's a sport. ;]

I forgot to mention that these people do indeed come from a society that's basically the same as medieval ones, so they did have to fight, thus why they know how to.
There is a monumental difference between sport fighting and actual fighting. But why do they have to fight if there is no threat to them?
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Micamo wrote: Yeah but why do they mysteriously leave?
It's fun for them?
Ainuke
sinic
sinic

Post by Ainuke »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:

There is a monumental difference between sport fighting and actual fighting. But why do they have to fight if there is no threat to them?
They conquer different islands. They gotta do something to convince them to give up some land, right?

Edit: Seriously, the Ear Sex was just a place filler. I just remembered Family Guy and that was it. I don't think Ear Sex really works tbh.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Micamo wrote: Yeah but why do they mysteriously leave?
It's fun for them?
Maybe they all wanted to go sailing before they die?
lol.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Ainuke wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:

They conquer different islands. They gotta do something to convince them to give up some land, right?
So there's no disease, and they have no threats to their superior combat awesomeness and everything is hunky-dory, so they conquer other islands, presumably with other peoples to... spread their cultural superiority and lack of orphans?
Ainuke
sinic
sinic

Post by Ainuke »

Yeah whatever, Mod lock thread pl0x.

Everyone's just ranting or taking the piss out of it all the time. Not that I have a problem with piss taking, just not exactly helping me atm. ;P I'll just wait 'til I post my Conlang to even bother sharing anything.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Ainuke wrote:Yeah whatever, Mod lock thread pl0x.

Everyone's just ranting or taking the piss out of it all the time. Not that I have a problem with piss taking, just not exactly helping me atm. ;P I'll just wait 'til I post my Conlang to even bother sharing anything.
Let it help you. These questions aren't being posed to make you feel bad. At the very least, mine aren't. They are to ask you to critically examine the culture you are making. If you don't want it questioned and critiqued, you probably shouldn't post it or ask anyone anything about trying to give you a hand with it. Don't ask for help if you don't actually want it.
Ainuke
sinic
sinic

Post by Ainuke »

I don't feel like it's help, and I don't feel bad :P Just don't feel I'm getting anywhere. So I'll either make a different Culture, work on this one more, or just totally give up the idea of a Culture all together, who knows. Please do delete this or whatever.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Ainuke wrote:I don't feel like it's help, and I don't feel bad :P Just don't feel I'm getting anywhere. So I'll either make a different Culture, work on this one more, or just totally give up the idea of a Culture all together, who knows. Please do delete this or whatever.
I have read most of the thread, but skipped your questionaire, so please don't hit me for that.

I think that people on this board are rather thoughtful and detail-loving folks (me included). So what we want is a detailed work. That does not mean that it has to be in any way complete right from the beginning. Maybe it's a good way to start smaller. Do not hurry through all of the questions but take your time to think about them. You need a vivid picture of the culture in your head. That does not come from popping up things as fast as possible, but from playing with different thoughts over a longer period of time.
This pissed and angry tone that rings in many of the posts here probaly is due to the fact that your work just seems somehow random. It seems like your aim was to have a conculture as fast as possible. But a conculture lives by it's details and the dedication that ran into it.

I hope that I was of some help. And keep the blue tigers - felines rock.
Ainuke
sinic
sinic

Post by Ainuke »

Thanks for that. You're definitely right. I did rush it too much. I think I'll leave this Conculture stuff alone til I get a good Conlang; I can't really concentrate on anything but. Seen as I've a very simple view of the World, it'll take more than a questionnaire to make a Conculture...well an interesting one anyway :3
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

xijlwya wrote:I think that people on this board are rather thoughtful and detail-loving folks (me included). So what we want is a detailed work. That does not mean that it has to be in any way complete right from the beginning. Maybe it's a good way to start smaller. Do not hurry through all of the questions but take your time to think about them. You need a vivid picture of the culture in your head. That does not come from popping up things as fast as possible, but from playing with different thoughts over a longer period of time.
This pissed and angry tone that rings in many of the posts here probaly is due to the fact that your work just seems somehow random. It seems like your aim was to have a conculture as fast as possible. But a conculture lives by it's details and the dedication that ran into it.
Took the words right out of my mouth <3

Zahar isn't something you use to start designing a conculture. You use it to get your various ideas organized after you've already been thinking about it for a long time. Keep thinking about it and refining the details, let's say for two weeks, and try Zahar again. Your answers should make a lot more sense.

Also, don't leave things unnamed. If you really don't want to come up with conlang names until the culture is developed, then just give everything english names, then translate those names into your conlang later. Keep in mind that names may take different paths from the words that make up its etymology, so most native speakers of the "modern" tongue probably won't be able to figure out where the name came from. Consider the English name Roger, which derives from Old English Hrothgar, meaning "Famous King."

My shitty twitter
Ainuke
sinic
sinic

Post by Ainuke »

Wait, what the crap?! I know that name Hrothgar from somewhere! BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERRRE.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Ainuke wrote:Wait, what the crap?! I know that name Hrothgar from somewhere! BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERRRE.
Beowulf.

My shitty twitter
reizoukin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by reizoukin »

Micamo wrote:
Ainuke wrote:Wait, what the crap?! I know that name Hrothgar from somewhere! BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERRRE.
Beowulf.
I believe it was also the dwarven king's name in Eragon.
:eng: Native | :esp: Almost Fluent | :zho: Intermediate | :ara: :fra: Interested | :kat: :cym: Very interested.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

And where did he get that from?

My shitty twitter
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Ainuke wrote:Thanks for that. You're definitely right. I did rush it too much. I think I'll leave this Conculture stuff alone til I get a good Conlang; I can't really concentrate on anything but. Seen as I've a very simple view of the World, it'll take more than a questionnaire to make a Conculture...well an interesting one anyway :3
I guess you will face the same problem vice versa: I also started out with the conlang with my conworld saza. And after a few basic decisions like phonology, morphology and the first basic translations on thing occured to me: A language needs a culture to derive it's constructions, phrases, idioms, proverbs and contexts from it. In my opinion, both go hand in hand. But never mind, start with the conlang. Maybe the problems you will face with it will inspire the conculture!

Let's hope the best. And we want to see some nice ideas popping out of your head soon!
Micamo wrote:Took the words right out of my mouth <3
Yay! 8-)