Perfection Obsession

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
zelos
greek
greek

Perfection Obsession

Post by zelos »

Am I among few or many who are obsessed about perfection in their conworld?

I can sit for hours work on details, calculations, estimations, measuring and whatnot to achive it all to perfect scale and more. are anyone equally obsessed?
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Perfection Obsession

Post by Micamo »

I guess I have the same feelings, but my perfectionism is frequently overpowered by sloth.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Hah, as an example I am using other poles than magnetic ones and I am working on finding a formula to see what the compasses will show when they are at any place on the planet
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

zelos wrote:Am I among few or many who are obsessed about perfection in their conworld?

I can sit for hours work on details, calculations, estimations, measuring and whatnot to achive it all to perfect scale and more. are anyone equally obsessed?
Yes, I sat once a few days calculating parameters of my conplanet Aore (aka. Lunateraz) and its solar system, Fdain (Zeusoles).
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Milya0 wrote:
zelos wrote:Am I among few or many who are obsessed about perfection in their conworld?

Yes, I sat once a few days calculating parameters of my conplanet Aore (aka. Lunateraz) and its solar system, Fdain (Zeusoles).
"Zeusoles" is remarkibly similar ot my name XD

Care to elaborate what you were calculating?
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

zelos wrote:"Zeusoles" is remarkibly similar ot my name XD
Lunateraz is from "Luna" and "Terra". Zeusoles is from "Zeus" and "Sol".
zelos wrote:Care to elaborate what you were calculating?
- Image - photo of Lunateraz
- some parameters of orbit: semi-major axis is 141 500 000 km, peryhelium is 138 670 000 km, aphelium is 144 330 000 km
- dates of moons transfers: Mati fdefei on 26 March 2517, Athun/Aftun on 5 August 2518
- that Lunateran day (lika) is 25 h 11 min 15 s long and Lunateran year (ramu) is 331,719 d (316 lika)
- parametres of planets of Fdain and these pictures: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... f2/Zeu.png (orbits comparison) http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... 4/Zeu5.png (size comparison)
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
dwnielsen
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by dwnielsen »

Right now, my obsession tends more toward the "perfect" language and script, numerology, and governmental structures. In other words, I'm one of those sticks in the mud who might spend my entire life on the paperwork of one conworld. But this is mostly so that the systems could be simulated on the simplest and most elegant of machines.
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

Sometimes I get on "perfection benders" where I try making things as naturalistic as possible, for example, my latest conlang's noun declension paradigms.

I haven't made a conworld yet, as I have no experience with realistic solar systems, etc, but I can imagine that once my conlangs are fleshed out enough, I will start working on the setting for them.

I like perfecting an idea when it is interesting for others too. I don't do conlangs and concultures solely for my amusement.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Bristel wrote:Sometimes I get on "perfection benders" where I try making things as naturalistic as possible, for example, my latest conlang's noun declension paradigms.

I haven't made a conworld yet, as I have no experience with realistic solar systems, etc, but I can imagine that once my conlangs are fleshed out enough, I will start working on the setting for them.

I like perfecting an idea when it is interesting for others too. I don't do conlangs and concultures solely for my amusement.
then what eslse?
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Bristel wrote:I haven't made a conworld yet, as I have no experience with realistic solar systems, etc, but I can imagine that once my conlangs are fleshed out enough, I will start working on the setting for them.
Does a conworld needs to be realistic?
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Tanni wrote:
Bristel wrote:I haven't made a conworld yet, as I have no experience with realistic solar systems, etc, but I can imagine that once my conlangs are fleshed out enough, I will start working on the setting for them.
depends on what kind but to a certain extent the answer is "yes" but in many ways depending on how its done the answer is "no"
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

zelos wrote:
Bristel wrote:Sometimes I get on "perfection benders" where I try making things as naturalistic as possible, for example, my latest conlang's noun declension paradigms.

then what eslse?
For people with any sort of interest in that sort of thing.
Tanni wrote:
No not really, if the conworld was unrealistic, I'd still try to make an effort to flesh out as many important details as possible.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

If its too unrealistic people have a hard time connecting with it
Tanni
greek
greek

Post by Tanni »

Bristel wrote:
Tanni wrote:
No not really, if the conworld was unrealistic, I'd still try to make an effort to flesh out as many important details as possible.
Do you mean the conworld or the conlang?

It's more important that the conworld is consistent in itself then that it is realistic. People nowadays are used to extremly unrealistic settings, if they are open to fictional settings at all.
zelos wrote:If its too unrealistic people have a hard time connecting with it
Look at some children's films e.g. Mouse on Mars, where they have a totally unrealistic setting concerning Mars. But it is easy connecting to it because the many things there known form Earth and maybe because it's made form stories written by children, IIRC.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.
Malloriel
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Malloriel »

One reason my conworld isn't finished is due to my attention to detail bordering on what I would like to call a casual obsession, meaning that it's not constantly on my mind, but when I do sit down and work on it, it's with a dedication to ensuring that the details are as believable as possible. The internal integrity comes above all else, but there is as strict an adherence to what I know of this world and its physics, social interactions, the lessons of history and evolution (human and otherwise), etc., that help me determine the growth of my world and its peoples in as organic a way as I can manage.

I don't think that any conworld need be "realistic" per se, as long as it is consistent with itself, so that the rules you make are the rules it follows. What I'm looking for is the willing suspension of disbelief, and I think the more one takes reality into account while building, the more someone else might be willing to play along.
Atharron
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Atharron »

I don't think perfection or realism is what I'd be looking for. Detail is what I like. I spent an hour or so the other day just naming spacecraft. Most of which would barely be featured in the book. Then I went further to name individual bombers or fighters in a fleet which would certainly never get a mention.

What I would like to do re: realism is design an area of the galaxy which would include where certain stars are, the distance they are from different planets, what they would look like in the night sky and what constellations they would make up. I don't really know how to go about it though because of the 3D aspect of it. I've considered hanging ball bearings from my ceiling and working it out like that.
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Veris »

zelos: Are you a total perfectionist when it comes to your con-efforts?
Veris: Not. Even. A little.

My ideas come outta me like flu-induced vomit; an involuntary, messy splatter that makes other people shirk away and feel sorry for me. Plus, I'm lazy as pie, so...you know.
á (0225); í (0237); ú (0250); é (0233); ó (0243)
Á (0193); Í (0205); Ú (0218); É (0201); Ó (0211)
dh3537
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by dh3537 »

I sit in front of the computer screen for a long time not because I'm a perfectionist but because I work on obscure consubjects (for example conmath)
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Veris »

How does con math work?
á (0225); í (0237); ú (0250); é (0233); ó (0243)
Á (0193); Í (0205); Ú (0218); É (0201); Ó (0211)
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Veris wrote:zelos: Are you a total perfectionist when it comes to your con-efforts?
Veris: Not. Even. A little.

My ideas come outta me like flu-induced vomit; an involuntary, messy splatter that makes other people shirk away and feel sorry for me. Plus, I'm lazy as pie, so...you know.
Im a perfectionist to my goal no matter what it is but only to the degree which I think its possible to achive it
Veris wrote:How does con math work?
you usually start with different initial assumptions/usages and see how it goes from there