The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by Sḿtuval »

(Looks at Argenzu's computer screen.)

"Is that supposed to be a town? Seems like a boring game to me, like 'playing life'. That's certainly an interesting device you've got there. If it's not already obvious, I've never seen anything like it."

(Tangsu looks up at Kikada after what sounded like a giant bird startled him.)

(thinking) "What the hell is that?"

(After Kikada stops singing, Tangsu senses something affecting his mind. He focuses his thoughts and blocks out the "signal".)

"What are you doing? Get out of my head!"
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

Sḿtuval wrote:(Looks at Argenzu's computer screen.)

"Is that supposed to be a town? Seems like a boring game to me, like 'playing life'. That's certainly an interesting device you've got there. If it's not already obvious, I've never seen anything like it."

(Tangsu looks up at Kikada after what sounded like a giant bird startled him.)

(thinking) "What the hell is that?"

(After Kikada stops singing, Tangsu senses something affecting his mind. He focuses his thoughts and blocks out the "signal".)

"What are you doing? Get out of my head!"
Kikāda tilts her head, frowning slightly.

«I have not yet entered anyone's mind…»
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

((Guess whose computer started making scary noises at less than a year old, and then guess whose mobile is really wonky when typing forum posts? Sorry for the delays.

Also yes that kind of book is pretty cool ehehe))
elemtilas wrote:Enca's eyes immediately focus on Risatri's own, trying to read what is passing over her face. She is quick to notice the subtle change in Risatri's face, though she's not entirely certain what it means or what she's said to bring about this ... odd defensiveness? "Umm. I wonder if I have made you unnecessarily unsettled about something? Only, your face has changed, and I hope I haven't upset you!"
"It's nothing." That was a very deliberate downplay, and hopefully Enca would fall for it. "Just political nonsense slightly weighing on me."
elemtilas wrote:"Of course, I am not suggesting a councilor be removed for no good reason. But is not this one incompetent to the task? Does he not know this about himself? That is why I asked about seeking for another. If one of our queen's councilors thought herself unable to fulfill the task, she would surely step aside and urge folks to consider another! Or if not, then our queen must see to it that a competent councilor is chosen!"
"As far as I am aware, Councilor Taradremi is the sort that believes himself infalliable, and that if anything does go wrong then it is the fault of others. He is more than happy to take the credit that truly belongs to his assistant, in any case. He will not be resigning voluntarily." Risatri doesn't seem too concerned about this, interestingly enough. She's pretty confident in her government's ability to make up for the weaknesses of one of its parts. She's just not nearly as loudspoken about her beliefs as her apprentice is.
elemtilas wrote:"It sounds to me like the queens of Niish are useless and their whole system of government incompetent. How can people be satisfied to live in such a way?"
"Well, that's easy. It is the people who decide who becomes the ruler of Nitch, so it is the people who enforce that system of government. As it happens, they would rather have someone good with words than good at ruling." Risatri says this firmly and as if it were a simple statement of fact, instead of the opinion of someone who has never actually been there. She may not be as obviously dismissive as Netza, but she still does hold some of the more xenophobic mores common to Naqil.
elemtilas wrote:"Actually, Risatri," she says, peering with interest as the healer scribbles and screeves in her sketch book; "the spikes are often, but not always, made in the shape of a bear's fangs... ....and the frame is attached to the thick leather of the armour."
This information is corrected for, in yet another sketch. She hasn't ever seen a bear herself to know what the fangs look like, but House Tlahis' emblem is that of a bear. Admittedly, the emblem emphasizes the bear's striking facial mask instead of its fangs, but they might still have some accuracy to them.
elemtilas wrote:[Cool stuff about wing strength]

"Umm, yeah, you can touch them! I am sorry they haven't been properly preened in some days. Unlike Nico, I don't much like going about with my wings in such disarray as you see them. I assure you, I'm not suffering from any kind of feather related malady apart from the lack of a good sit-down for some comb work!" She shifts her position in her chair and extends her wing over towards Risatri so she can examine the feathers and how her wing moves.

[More really cool stuff]
Risatri wastes no time leaning down to gently and professionally run her hands along the offered wing, noting the feel of the feathers before shifting slightly to focus on the joints. Hopefully she'll be able to get a good feel of how they work, the range of motion, and whatnot without bothering Enca in the process. They don't seem muscular enough to carry something terribly large, no, and going by Enca's story they're definitely not strong enough to be functional for flying.

The bit about Winglessness and the wickedness of man is chalked up to religious stuff, but some of it does sound interesting despite that. "I wish it were not so, but it is the nature of the living to be ill-intentioned from time to time." she says, smoothing down a patch of feathers she'd ruffled. "Whether you are man, animal, or other. There are some, like elves, which are always ill-intentioned, but that is to be expected, them being under the eyes of the Missing Face. I would like to think I will always be able to avoid that side of the Three-Faced God, but there is no way to tell what the future will bring."
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

(After his outburst, Tangsu pays attention to what he's sensing and realizes it's just a message. He lets himself receive the message.)

"Can you not talk, or do you just not want to? I might be a little paranoid, but I don't like hearing things without lips moving, if you know what I mean. And what did you mean by "yet"?"

(Pauses for a second.)

"You know what, I don't want to know. I guess I'll just find out. Where is this 'Safirian Empire'? It sounds like an Ariman name, but you're clearly not Ariman."
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

Egerius wrote:It's probably best to accept the other species' limitations. You go vegetarian, they have their meat. That's how we avoided tension over food, mostly – and blowing guts.
"Why would I go vegetarian for? I like a good steak just as much as the next guy. More even, if you guys are herbivores. Ain't nothing better than a nice, thick-cut piece of ribeye, pan-seared, just smothered in blue cheese sauce." He gets a wistful expression on his face for just a moment before it fades. "They're welcome to have what they can buy, and I'm welcome to have what I can buy. There's no need to reserve the good stuff for them."
Uh, yeah, that's too much graphic info. Neither Argenzu nor Jácove show a very positive expression on their faces, to say the least.
Vince lets out a harsh bark of laughter at the sight of the two's faces. "By the three hells, they're just scars, you wimps! Everyone has 'em! I have 'em, Sanis has 'em, even my good old Uncle Eisuil has 'em. You'll probably get them too once you get past the innocent student stage of life."
Jácove is slightly upset: What's so bad about LARPing? That guy's clothing doesn't smell like the typical LARP gear, either, so I think that's authentic. I mean, I smell blood, real blood.
If you want a LARPer's grab, this is one!
Jácove is pointing at his uniform. Argenzu just nods, then he says: Yup, it's plastic and cotton. But it's comfortable and this place just fits it.
"You've clearly never gone in a walk in the park with a lady friend, only to be swarmed by a pack of drunk college students swinging plastic swords at each other," Vince says with a snort. Clement pats his shoulder consolingly, but utterly fails to keep the amused expression off his face. This is apparently not a new complaint. "They all swarm down from the local college town in the summer like midges. Bored, drunk midges."

"If that gear of his is real, then that's pretty cool I guess. As long as he doesn't throw a wad of paper at me and call it an arrow, then I'm okay."

Egerius wrote:Argenzu also vents his displeasure over the term ‘ratmen’: It's *Verromanu! Chinchillas and rats, though both rodents, have about as much in common as a bonobo and a human — and for us, this goes fourfold!
Jácove nods now. He's right. With some things, you have to be exact.
He gets up, turns around slowly and explains: Rats have a different tail, one of the fleshy, naked kind. We have one covered with fur, rather stiff, then he sits down again.
((Uh, this seems to be in response to a statement that was never said out loud. Part of the reason I started color-coding speech was to help distinguish this stuff.))
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Sorry for the late reply, I was out yesterday and I have stuff to do...
Carl Miller wrote:
Spoiler:
A four-armed, blue-skinned, and notably voluptuous female elvenoid enters the inn. She scans the room with vibrant amethyst eyes, absentmindedly running a hand through her intricately braided ankle-length dark teal hair. She removes a curved longsword, and a knife with similar furniture, from the ribbonlike sash of her purple and white wildflower-patterned robes, and places them on the floor near the entrance. She bows her head to those present, pressing her upper left fist to her chest at the same time. After that, she begins to sing at length — like an alien bird of paradise — but stops a few moments later after realizing that she is the only one of her kind here present. The strange elf then chooses to introduce herself telepathically.

«Good afternoon. It is a great pleasure to be able to be here with, and eventually meet you all. My name is Isarmei Kikāda.» One receiving her telepathic missive would get the sense that she has given her surname first. «I am from the town of Isarme, near Eňasa in the Queendom of Syvreiš, the homeland of my people and the premiere member of the Safirian Empire.» She bows again, then takes a seat near the other patrons.
Argenzu hears a voice from inside his head. He turns around, looks at the ceiling and finally realises that it's the newcomer speaking telepathically.
Jácove is equally irritated, but also amazed: This new guest must be from a far-away future.

Madame, I have a translator, Argenzu says, hesitating whether he should use Wínlandisch or Buonavallese — or even Gniezdanian, over there in... that box, outside. He points at his TARDIS, in beige, with his left index finer that prominently protrudes from his wide clothing.
Jácove just sits there, fiddles around with Argenzu's camera and films the blue-skinned newcomer.

Firebird766 wrote:There's no need to reserve the good stuff for them."
Argenzu tilts his head slightly to the left and lets a short “huh” escape.
Vince lets out a harsh bark of laughter at the sight of the two's faces. "By the three hells, they're just scars, you wimps! Everyone has 'em! I have 'em, Sanis has 'em, even my good old Uncle Eisuil has 'em. You'll probably get them too once you get past the innocent student stage of life."
Well, then, Argenzu says, rolls up the sleeves of his clothing and presents his hands. Small punctures are noticeable if looked at carefully.
And yeah, there is practically no fur on Argenzu's forearms. The skin is white.

Scars from my earliest days. Not nearly as violently acquired as yours, but I have some and I absolutely see no point in presenting something like that with pride unasked.
Beside, we as a species are a bit more prone to show our emotions subconsciously.
"You've clearly never gone in a walk in the park with a lady friend, only to be swarmed by a pack of drunk college students swinging plastic swords at each other," Vince says with a snort. Clement pats his shoulder consolingly, but utterly fails to keep the amused expression off his face. This is apparently not a new complaint. "They all swarm down from the local college town in the summer like midges. Bored, drunk midges."

The Verromans look at each other and laugh. Both of them had more than one walk with a nice girl each, but in their university, there's no LARP group. And speaking of getting drunk, one of them never did.
That's a good one!, Argenzu says after he stopped giggling.
Spoiler:
Egerius wrote:Argenzu also vents his displeasure over the term ‘ratmen’: It's *Verromanu! Chinchillas and rats, though both rodents, have about as much in common as a bonobo and a human — and for us, this goes fourfold!
Jácove nods now. He's right. With some things, you have to be exact.
He gets up, turns around slowly and explains: Rats have a different tail, one of the fleshy, naked kind. We have one covered with fur, rather stiff, then he sits down again.

Mischief managed. I got confused by too much text at once without checking the formatting before the message was sent. Copy and paste wherever appropriate.
Sḿtuval wrote:(Looks at Argenzu's computer screen.)

Actually, Argenzu says, this game isn't that boring – sometimes a catastrophe randomly pops up and you have to deal with a fire or a riot. I've managed to attract 64,000 citizens, so far.
Argenzu saves the game and quits it, only to reveal a(n almost) blank screen. He bends the screen over to have a slightly tilted surface to draw on, takes a special pen out of his backpack. It is painted in the same beige as the laptop, save for the white tip. Argenzu takes a small black book out of his backpack, thumbs through some of the pages and stops. Then he begins drawing a picture of... well, the screen is a bit dark, so the others can't see what is being drawn.

Jácove slowly draws his sight away from the blue being back to Argenzu and the other two. Then he asks:
Well, do you have magic in your world?
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Enca's eyes immediately focus on Risatri's own, trying to read what is passing over her face. She is quick to notice the subtle change in Risatri's face, though she's not entirely certain what it means or what she's said to bring about this ... odd defensiveness? "Umm. I wonder if I have made you unnecessarily unsettled about something? Only, your face has changed, and I hope I haven't upset you!"
"It's nothing." That was a very deliberate downplay, and hopefully Enca would fall for it. "Just political nonsense slightly weighing on me."
Enca shrugs and offers a smile --- she knows it's nowhere close to "nothing", but this is clearly some human thing beyond her understanding! "It is okay if you do not wish to speak of those things! There are things in our history, too, we are not comfortable speaking of. Indeed, even ashamed to speak of. Umm..."
elemtilas wrote:"Of course, I am not suggesting a councilor be removed for no good reason. But is not this one incompetent to the task? Does he not know this about himself? That is why I asked about seeking for another. If one of our queen's councilors thought herself unable to fulfill the task, she would surely step aside and urge folks to consider another! Or if not, then our queen must see to it that a competent councilor is chosen!"
"As far as I am aware, Councilor Taradremi is the sort that believes himself infalliable, and that if anything does go wrong then it is the fault of others. He is more than happy to take the credit that truly belongs to his assistant, in any case. He will not be resigning voluntarily." Risatri doesn't seem too concerned about this, interestingly enough. She's pretty confident in her government's ability to make up for the weaknesses of one of its parts. She's just not nearly as loudspoken about her beliefs as her apprentice is.
"Insufferable pride! That will surely be a great weakness in any leader. How can he provide valuable counsel if he is both incompetent and unwilling to recognise his own weakness? Surely your people don't rely on the mere hope that others can tighten the slack!"
elemtilas wrote:"It sounds to me like the queens of Niish are useless and their whole system of government incompetent. How can people be satisfied to live in such a way?"
"Well, that's easy. It is the people who decide who becomes the ruler of Nitch, so it is the people who enforce that system of government. As it happens, they would rather have someone good with words than good at ruling." Risatri says this firmly and as if it were a simple statement of fact, instead of the opinion of someone who has never actually been there. She may not be as obviously dismissive as Netza, but she still does hold some of the more xenophobic mores common to Naqil.
"Mm. Men seem no less confused and erratic in your world than in mine! The people of Niish seem to be deliberately seeking their own downfall. I will never understand this contradiction within the hearts of Men!"
elemtilas wrote:"Actually, Risatri," she says, peering with interest as the healer scribbles and screeves in her sketch book; "the spikes are often, but not always, made in the shape of a bear's fangs... ....and the frame is attached to the thick leather of the armour."
This information is corrected for, in yet another sketch. She hasn't ever seen a bear herself to know what the fangs look like, but House Tlahis' emblem is that of a bear. Admittedly, the emblem emphasizes the bear's striking facial mask instead of its fangs, but they might still have some accuracy to them.[/quote]

"Yeah, that's better. Here, look at mine!" Enca leans foreward and shows Risatri her own canines. They look something like this. "A bear's are much longer, of course. About as long as my fingers, and nearly as thick as two of them together! A fearsome beast indeed!"
Risatri wastes no time leaning down to gently and professionally run her hands along the offered wing, noting the feel of the feathers before shifting slightly to focus on the joints. Hopefully she'll be able to get a good feel of how they work, the range of motion, and whatnot without bothering Enca in the process. They don't seem muscular enough to carry something terribly large, no, and going by Enca's story they're definitely not strong enough to be functional for flying.
"I could feel you pressing on my bones. I don't know if healers have special names for different bones or not, but the bones of our wings are a lot like those in our arms and hands. They kind of move the same way, too. Only, there's only three wing-fingers in stead of five!* And see, we can spread our wing-hands and flex them, like our hands and feet!" She spreads her fingers and toes first, then shows Risatri how the end of her wing can move similarly.

((NB: since you're interested in all things anatomical, there are actually the same number of digits in a wing; but the index and middle fingers are fused and enlarged, making them much stronger than the bones of the third and fourth wing-fingers. In Daine, the wing-thumb is usually suppressed or missing altogether. In Turghun, however, it is not only present, but slightly mobile and sports a thick talon about two inches long!))
The bit about Winglessness and the wickedness of man is chalked up to religious stuff, but some of it does sound interesting despite that. "I wish it were not so, but it is the nature of the living to be ill-intentioned from time to time." she says, smoothing down a patch of feathers she'd ruffled. "Whether you are man, animal, or other. There are some, like elves, which are always ill-intentioned, but that is to be expected, them being under the eyes of the Missing Face. I would like to think I will always be able to avoid that side of the Three-Faced God, but there is no way to tell what the future will bring."
Enca is nowhere near as upset as Nico was about the mention of Elves. "We do not often speak of Elves, but you are wise to recognise their ill-willed natures! Daine and Teyor are by nature folk of good-will; Hotai and Elves are by nature folk of ill-will. Men and Dhargh and Yttuun are bafflingly volatile to us: sometimes they seek the highest of good, and often times manage to find the worst of evils!"

"What is a god with a missing face? I must say I don't really know anything about the gods or religions of Men, and we have none of our own to compare with. Nico knows more about that, but sometimes I think he's just making up stuff to tell me!"
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Carl Miller wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Nico turns towards the newest of the newcomers as she begins some kind of distressingly high-pitched warbling --- people's voices shouldn't be that high in pitch! His eyes widen as steps forward into the room. Then she bows and places her hand, well, one of her left hands! on her chest. That must be a greeting. And then she just stands there in silence before sitting across from him. She hasn't said anything...

"Umm..." Nico stands and bows towards the curious blue girl, turning up the tips of his wings most gracefully. He places his own left hand on his chest. "I hope that's a greeting among your folk! I am Nico. This is Enca, my dearest sister. We're from the Queendom of Westmarche. Um. What's your name and what kind of person are you? You certainly don't look like any kind of Daine or Man or Ogre or Fairy or anything else I've ever seen before!"
The safir's song wasn't necessarily high-pitched, merely similar to that of a bird of paradise.

(OOC: Sorry, was just hazarding the guess that she might have a highish voice, maybe soprano or thereabouts? Daine voices come in basically tenor and alto. They find the high and low voices of Men "distressingly" high or low. Also, one reason Nico can't hear Kikāda well is local interference from Enca. Such telepathic channels as a Daine twin has are generally, er, clogged by the thoughts and feelings of their own twin. Would take more concentration for a twin to communicate telepathically.)

«I am a safir, from the world known as Daia. Again, my name is Isarmei Kikāda.» Again, that's surname first, one would sense.
Nico's wingtips flutter in amazement: "Wait! Are you talking inside my head!? I can always hear Enca, but I've never heard another that way before!"

He pauses for a moment --- maybe I was just imagining that she said things in my head! But I thought I heard her say her name is Qicâtha? He asks her: "Can you hear me if I just say my words without talking? That's pretty nifty!" Now he smiles broadly at Kikāda.

"Anyway, Gem there taught me about "surnames". So, Yisarmey is your clan name? And, what are Safir? We are Daine --- and it looks like we at least have in common being folk with six limbs! Only two of ours are wings, and you have four arms. Um. Do they all work? It's not confusing to you?"
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

Sḿtuval wrote:(After his outburst, Tangsu pays attention to what he's sensing and realizes it's just a message. He lets himself receive the message.)

"Can you not talk, or do you just not want to? I might be a little paranoid, but I don't like hearing things without lips moving, if you know what I mean. And what did you mean by "yet"?"

(Pauses for a second.)

"You know what, I don't want to know. I guess I'll just find out. Where is this 'Safirian Empire'? It sounds like an Ariman name, but you're clearly not Ariman."
«I can speak, but you would almost certainly not understand my language.» :/
Egerius wrote:Sorry for the late reply, I was out yesterday and I have stuff to do...
Carl Miller wrote:
Spoiler:
A four-armed, blue-skinned, and notably voluptuous female elvenoid enters the inn. She scans the room with vibrant amethyst eyes, absentmindedly running a hand through her intricately braided ankle-length dark teal hair. She removes a curved longsword, and a knife with similar furniture, from the ribbonlike sash of her purple and white wildflower-patterned robes, and places them on the floor near the entrance. She bows her head to those present, pressing her upper left fist to her chest at the same time. After that, she begins to sing at length — like an alien bird of paradise — but stops a few moments later after realizing that she is the only one of her kind here present. The strange elf then chooses to introduce herself telepathically.

«Good afternoon. It is a great pleasure to be able to be here with, and eventually meet you all. My name is Isarmei Kikāda.» One receiving her telepathic missive would get the sense that she has given her surname first. «I am from the town of Isarme, near Eňasa in the Queendom of Syvreiš, the homeland of my people and the premiere member of the Safirian Empire.» She bows again, then takes a seat near the other patrons.
Argenzu hears a voice from inside his head. He turns around, looks at the ceiling and finally realises that it's the newcomer speaking telepathically.
Jácove is equally irritated, but also amazed: This new guest must be from a far-away future.

Madame, I have a translator, Argenzu says, hesitating whether he should use Wínlandisch or Buonavallese — or even Gniezdanian, over there in... that box, outside. He points at his TARDIS, in beige, with his left index finer that prominently protrudes from his wide clothing.
Jácove just sits there, fiddles around with Argenzu's camera and films the blue-skinned newcomer.
Kikāda nods, seeming to be OK with being filmed, and glancing in the direction in which Argenzu points. «That is good to hear… but does it work for everyone or just for you?»
elemtilas wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Nico turns towards the newest of the newcomers as she begins some kind of distressingly high-pitched warbling --- people's voices shouldn't be that high in pitch! His eyes widen as steps forward into the room. Then she bows and places her hand, well, one of her left hands! on her chest. That must be a greeting. And then she just stands there in silence before sitting across from him. She hasn't said anything...

"Umm..." Nico stands and bows towards the curious blue girl, turning up the tips of his wings most gracefully. He places his own left hand on his chest. "I hope that's a greeting among your folk! I am Nico. This is Enca, my dearest sister. We're from the Queendom of Westmarche. Um. What's your name and what kind of person are you? You certainly don't look like any kind of Daine or Man or Ogre or Fairy or anything else I've ever seen before!"
The safir's song wasn't necessarily high-pitched, merely similar to that of a bird of paradise.

(OOC: Sorry, was just hazarding the guess that she might have a highish voice, maybe soprano or thereabouts? Daine voices come in basically tenor and alto. They find the high and low voices of Men "distressingly" high or low. Also, one reason Nico can't hear Kikāda well is local interference from Enca. Such telepathic channels as a Daine twin has are generally, er, clogged by the thoughts and feelings of their own twin. Would take more concentration for a twin to communicate telepathically.)

«I am a safir, from the world known as Daia. Again, my name is Isarmei Kikāda.» Again, that's surname first, one would sense.
Nico's wingtips flutter in amazement: "Wait! Are you talking inside my head!? I can always hear Enca, but I've never heard another that way before!"

He pauses for a moment --- maybe I was just imagining that she said things in my head! But I thought I heard her say her name is Qicâtha? He asks her: "Can you hear me if I just say my words without talking? That's pretty nifty!" Now he smiles broadly at Kikāda.

"Anyway, Gem there taught me about "surnames". So, Yisarmey is your clan name? And, what are Safir? We are Daine --- and it looks like we at least have in common being folk with six limbs! Only two of ours are wings, and you have four arms. Um. Do they all work? It's not confusing to you?"
(Either soprano or contralto, yeah.)

Kikāda nods, smiling a little at Nico's telepathic response. «My kind, again known as the safir, are naturally telepathic. I can receive you well, yes, and Isarmei is indeed the name of my clan.» She turns once, showing herself off to Nico (and to everyone else, but mainly Nico). «My kind are native to the planet Daia, and to a moon known as Lessa in the closest system thereto, but have spread to several gross other worlds.» She then stretches all four of her arms and wiggles all twenty of her fingers, smirking playfully. «As you can see, all four of my arms are functional. It is as natural to my kind, Nico, as I imagine flight is to yours.»
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

"Sounds like a couple of the places I've worked at, except one of the drunks usually died and they were far from well educated. I always thought university students were stuck up and 'proper', but maybe it's different where you live."

(Chuckles.)

"It's always fun watching people fight until they get in your way."
Egerius wrote:Jácove slowly draws his sight away from the blue being back to Argenzu and the other two. Then he asks: Well, do you have magic in your world?
"Yeah. There are some supernatural beings, and there are also a few people that have a much better talent for magic than most. I once met some mage or wizard who said he saw some innate power in me, but I didn't believe him (and still don't). I wouldn't have cared even if I did since I've never had any interest in magic..." (thinking) "...but a certain magic-user..."

"So as I was saying, it's kind of an elusive thing but at the same time it's everywhere. It's hard to explain and I don't fully understand it 'cause I never bothered to find out. And not everything people say about magic is actually true."
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

Egerius wrote:Well, then, Argenzu says, rolls up the sleeves of his clothing and presents his hands. Small punctures are noticeable if looked at carefully.
And yeah, there is practically no fur on Argenzu's forearms. The skin is white.

Scars from my earliest days. Not nearly as violently acquired as yours, but I have some and I absolutely see no point in presenting something like that with pride unasked.
Beside, we as a species are a bit more prone to show our emotions subconsciously.
"Why not show them off? In the words of Artafarnah the Younger, "what is the purpose of scars, but to map a man's life?"" He doesn't wait one second for a response before continuing on, in a lecturing tone. "Now admittedly that's a translation, and the word his used literally means something more like "marks" so a lot of people have been claiming he's talking about a common method of the time for divining the future by looking for birthmarks and whatnot, but if you take a look at his future works, and especially his talks with his students, you- ow ow augh stoppit!"

Clement had grabbed his ear and twisted.

"You little-" Vince yanks his ear free and rubs it, frowning. "Fine, fine, philosophy later."
The Verromans look at each other and laugh. Both of them had more than one walk with a nice girl each, but in their university, there's no LARP group. And speaking of getting drunk, one of them never did.
That's a good one!, Argenzu says after he stopped giggling.
"Sounds like a couple of the places I've worked at, except one of the drunks usually died and they were far from well educated. I always thought university students were stuck up and 'proper', but maybe it's different where you live."

(Chuckles.)

"It's always fun watching people fight until they get in your way."
"Nah, no one's dead yet, thank Uil and all his bastard children. Do you know how much trouble that would be?" Vince twists around in his seat to face his brother. "How many cops do you think we'd get, if even one of those kids had a bad fall and died?"

Clement holds up a hand with all of the fingers outstretched. He considers the question some more, and tucks in his thumb.

"Only four cars? Really?"

The shorter man shrugs, then takes his other hand and holds up one finger.

"Well, yeah they'd call an ambulance too, but I think you're underestimating the cops. They'd swarm all over, trying to find out if it was really a stupid rich kid accident or if it was something to do with all of us nasty wicked city folk."

Clement shakes his head.

"They so would." He turns back to face Argenzu and Tangsu, though getting the both of them in the same view means adjusting his seat a bit. "It's no joke. The college town's started sprawling out awful close, and now folks in charge are concerned the influx of students coming down for a good time. You'd think it'd keep them out of our personal business, but no. When they get pissy about the students, they get pissy about anyone who might be near the students."
Jácove slowly draws his sight away from the blue being back to Argenzu and the other two. Then he asks:[/i] Well, do you have magic in your world?
That comment was clearly not meant for either of the duo, but they see fit to answer anyway. Clement rolls his eyes and chortles, while Vince says, "Sure, in fairy tales and con artist's stories. There's always someone out there claiming they have some piece of flash which magic powers that Uil came down from the heavens to give him. It's all garbage."
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

elemtilas wrote:"Insufferable pride! That will surely be a great weakness in any leader. How can he provide valuable counsel if he is both incompetent and unwilling to recognise his own weakness? Surely your people don't rely on the mere hope that others can tighten the slack!"
"Of course it is not mere hope. It is certainty. Does your own government have no redundancy?" Risatri seems quite surprised that any country might not have contingency plans for life's little problems. To her, one incompetant leader out of several just wasn't that big of a deal. "Our Councilors each have assistants and advisors to help them, and of course the counsel of each other. Senior Assistant Iunaremi has a support network to help her work in Councilor Teradaremi's stead. If Councilor Toqalremi Ulsa of War takes ill, or Councilor Ixesremi Ixhua of Culture becomes pregnant and needs a month off to bear the babe, then their own assistants will be able to rule in their stead until they recover."
elemtilas wrote:"Yeah, that's better. Here, look at mine!" Enca leans foreward and shows Risatri her own canines. They look something like this. "A bear's are much longer, of course. About as long as my fingers, and nearly as thick as two of them together! A fearsome beast indeed!"
"I have a question." She actually has several, but most are tangents and can be safely ignored. "With such fangs, can I assume you are meat-eaters yourself?"
"I could feel you pressing on my bones. I don't know if healers have special names for different bones or not, but the bones of our wings are a lot like those in our arms and hands. They kind of move the same way, too. Only, there's only three wing-fingers in stead of five!* And see, we can spread our wing-hands and flex them, like our hands and feet!" She spreads her fingers and toes first, then shows Risatri how the end of her wing can move similarly.
Risatri makes interested noises as she feels the joints moving beneath her fingers. This is quite different from a bird's wing, which is what she, on first glance, had expected them to most resemble. Very interesting! She's itching to sketch in her codex again, in fact. "We do have special names for them, but I doubt you would like to hear them all right here and now. When you punch out with your bracers, do these wing fingers help adjust the angle of the spike, like how wrist bones help adjust the pitch and rotation of a thrown ball?"
elemtilas wrote:Enca is nowhere near as upset as Nico was about the mention of Elves. "We do not often speak of Elves, but you are wise to recognise their ill-willed natures! Daine and Teyor are by nature folk of good-will; Hotai and Elves are by nature folk of ill-will. Men and Dhargh and Yttuun are bafflingly volatile to us: sometimes they seek the highest of good, and often times manage to find the worst of evils!"

"What is a god with a missing face? I must say I don't really know anything about the gods or religions of Men, and we have none of our own to compare with. Nico knows more about that, but sometimes I think he's just making up stuff to tell me!"
"I'm no priest, so I can't go too terribly in-depth, but the Three-Faced God is the ruler of all of the province, city, and House gods in Naqil and in all the countries of the world. As per his name, he has three faces, and each of those faces has a different personality. As such, the Three-Faced God does different things depending on which of his faces is in control."

"The Day Face is the original, what all of the faces used to be like. He gives life to the world, commands the sun's movements through the sky, makes maize grow, and on very rare occasions speaks with the priesthood. He is benevolent when the people are good to him, but his rage is terrible to behold if one turns against him."

"The Night Face was once identical to the Day, until she tore her skin and flesh off to create the first rains. She is the weather and animals and all who call the moon their patron. She is hard to anger, but equally hard to appease. She remembers events that happened long ago, or that have not happened yet, and it her the sailors hope to meet when the Three-Faced God approaches."

"The Missing Face is wretched and feared, driven mad with hatred when the first of mankind turned their back on the Three-Faced Sun. It is this face that created the elves, and it is this face that neglected them such that they broke free of its control and ran rampant. It occasionally deigns to command them, but that is a rare event indeed. It is called "missing" because there is nothing there. No eyes, no mouth, no nose. Just an empty hole."
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Carl Miller wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Nico's wingtips flutter in amazement: "Wait! Are you talking inside my head!? I can always hear Enca, but I've never heard another that way before!"

Kikāda nods, smiling a little at Nico's telepathic response. «My kind, again known as the safir, are naturally telepathic. I can receive you well, yes, and Isarmei is indeed the name of my clan.» She turns once, showing herself off to Nico (and to everyone else, but mainly Nico). «My kind are native to the planet Daia, and to a moon known as Lessa in the closest system thereto, but have spread to several gross other worlds.» She then stretches all four of her arms and wiggles all twenty of her fingers, smirking playfully. «As you can see, all four of my arms are functional. It is as natural to my kind, Nico, as I imagine flight is to yours.»
Nico's eyes widen appreciably and stares openly at Kikāda, mouth slightly open as she makes her turn before him. He smiles as she shows him her arms and hands, clearly enthralled with the idea that there other people out there with more four limbs; but finds his eyes wandering back towards hers thinking she is so beautiful! And her eyes are.... Instantly his eyes widen and he blanches, then his face & chest blush deeply, his mouth snaps shut with a clack! could she have heard me? can she really know what i'm thinking?

"Uhmm..." is all he can manage to say just then.

Enca turns slightly from Risatri's brush and ink work, see's the strangely beautiful newcomer. She nods her head to the right and smiles slightly, as if to say 'Nico! What is it with you and the first lovely girl you see!?' i know you're there! i hear you better than my Nico can, heh! though it would appear he can hear you very clearly! take care, dear kikāda of isarmei in daya, of my nico!

Nico clears his throat, trying to recover from his embarrassment. He stands up to show Kikāda his wings. "Um, sorry miss, but we Daine can't actually fly with our wings. I think I'm just a little taller than you; it would take wings much bigger and stronger than mine to hurl meself into the air! But we can glide, and if we leap from a high place, we can spread our wings and come to ground without hurt! Well, us boys can. Girls' wings are too short for that, it's very dangerous for them to go leaping the way we can!" Leaning slightly to the left, he lifts up his right wing and gives it a bit of a flap, extending his wing-fingers and drawing them back in. The breeze scatters the papers with drawings on them on the table before Kikāda. He flashes her a smile, bows deeply and sits again.

"We do use them to talk, though, just like we do with our hands and arms! And even our eyes!" He puts his finger up behind his long canine tooth for a moment, deep in thought. "Oh yeah! And I guess sometimes our hearts, too!" He paused a moment, then continued rather more quietly, looking her in the eyes: "You heard me when I talked with my heart; and I heard you, just like how I can always hear Enca!"

"Tell me more about your folk, Qicâtha!"
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Firebird766 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:"Insufferable pride! That will surely be a great weakness in any leader. How can he provide valuable counsel if he is both incompetent and unwilling to recognise his own weakness? Surely your people don't rely on the mere hope that others can tighten the slack!"
"Of course it is not mere hope. It is certainty. Does your own government have no redundancy?" Risatri seems quite surprised that any country might not have contingency plans for life's little problems. To her, one incompetant leader out of several just wasn't that big of a deal. "Our Councilors each have assistants and advisors to help them, and of course the counsel of each other. Senior Assistant Iunaremi has a support network to help her work in Councilor Teradaremi's stead. If Councilor Toqalremi Ulsa of War takes ill, or Councilor Ixesremi Ixhua of Culture becomes pregnant and needs a month off to bear the babe, then their own assistants will be able to rule in their stead until they recover."
"What is it to take a month away? I suppose if by 'redundancy' you mean if a councilor is unable to fulfill her duties someone will take her place, then yes. If a councilor should die or become incapacitated, then another will be chosen. Why would she not be able to fulfill her duties with a little one at her breast? That is no weakness of spirit or mind! I believe that a mother might, in most circumstances, be more ideal to offer counsel and govern wisely a whole queendom. After all, such a girl must also govern her own children and her own household!"
elemtilas wrote:"Yeah, that's better. Here, look at mine!" Enca leans foreward and shows Risatri her own canines. They look something like this. "A bear's are much longer, of course. About as long as my fingers, and nearly as thick as two of them together! A fearsome beast indeed!"
"I have a question." She actually has several, but most are tangents and can be safely ignored. "With such fangs, can I assume you are meat-eaters yourself?"
"Yes, we eat meat. We also like many kinds of vegetables and fruits, though. When I think on it, I believe we eat mostly meat, and then foods made from milk. If you mean do we rip our food from the bone, dripping in blood, the way a wolf or wildcat will before gorging ourselves, then no! We cook our food first, and if I may say so, we do a fine job of it! Even Men in far away cities appreciate our humble Westmarche cookery!"
Risatri makes interested noises as she feels the joints moving beneath her fingers. This is quite different from a bird's wing, which is what she, on first glance, had expected them to most resemble. Very interesting! She's itching to sketch in her codex again, in fact. "We do have special names for them, but I doubt you would like to hear them all right here and now. When you punch out with your bracers, do these wing fingers help adjust the angle of the spike, like how wrist bones help adjust the pitch and rotation of a thrown ball?"
Enca takes some time to think about that one, and Risatri can clearly see some fine motions in Enca's left wing as she sorts out what the healer is getting at. "Um, yes, I believe so! Our wing-hands can pivot the way our arm-hands and feet do, though perhaps not quite so freely as our arm-hands. See, curling the wing-hand forward a bit would make the big knob in my wing-wrist kind of like a knobby wooden club." She draws her wing back a bit, lowering the wing-wrist somewhat then gently thunks her head with it! "Wouldn't want to be whacked with that! Put a thick leather bracer with a bronze fang or two on there, and I've got a pretty formidable weapon that most folk can hardly train adequately to counter! Plus, I can always pivot my wing-hand back the other way and spread the fingers to form a screen that can block a foe from seeing me well!"
"I'm no priest, so I can't go too terribly in-depth, but the Three-Faced God is the ruler of all of the province, city, and House gods in Naqil and in all the countries of the world. As per his name, he has three faces, and each of those faces has a different personality. As such, the Three-Faced God does different things depending on which of his faces is in control."

"The Day Face is the original, what all of the faces used to be like. He gives life to the world, commands the sun's movements through the sky, makes maize grow, and on very rare occasions speaks with the priesthood. He is benevolent when the people are good to him, but his rage is terrible to behold if one turns against him."

"The Night Face was once identical to the Day, until she tore her skin and flesh off to create the first rains. She is the weather and animals and all who call the moon their patron. She is hard to anger, but equally hard to appease. She remembers events that happened long ago, or that have not happened yet, and it her the sailors hope to meet when the Three-Faced God approaches."

"The Missing Face is wretched and feared, driven mad with hatred when the first of mankind turned their back on the Three-Faced Sun. It is this face that created the elves, and it is this face that neglected them such that they broke free of its control and ran rampant. It occasionally deigns to command them, but that is a rare event indeed. It is called "missing" because there is nothing there. No eyes, no mouth, no nose. Just an empty hole."
Enca quietly moves her lips as she tries out some of those strange names... "I'm afraid I am as baffled now as ever before! Men devise such strange and wonderous gods for themselves! Ever seeking, rarely finding, always in possession of that which they seek! The story of how Men in your world turned their backs on the Three-Faced Sun does sound reminiscent of how they lost their wings in our world --- their first fathers, too, turned their backs on our Heavenly Father. An unwise choice when tested. It is a thing about Men we have only learned about recently, and do not well understand." She sighs very deeply, clearly moved by some long memory. "I fear our own mothers and fathers of old did the ancestors of Men little good service by our teachings! It might perhaps have been best to leave them be until they were truly ready to learn..."
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

A place to rest at last. I can't remember the last time I visited one of those fancy places with actual tables and chairs. I can't even remember the last time I visited an inn at all.

Without a word, Náiri sat in a corner. She glanced at the people in the room, staring at their faces one by one, as to memorise them. She did not trust anyone, and especially not in such a crowded place. She sighed.

I miss my homeland, sometimes. Why did I have to be so inconsiderate? Everyone wants me dead, including my own people. When I'm not chased by these lawless Elves, it's the Hafnjans that hunt me down. If you're not with them, you are against them. Look at me now! Pitiful fool! I shouldn't have come in. My hair's a mess, my face is covered in mud and blood, my damn clothes are tattered... And I can feel eyes scrutinising me. She shook her head. I need to relax. I must not get submerged by my emotions. I've got to keep a cool head... in case something happens. You can never be too cautious.

She ran her hand through her mid-length hair, snow-white had it not been stained with dirt and blood. K'anena, I wonder when this will end. I'm tired of being on the run all the time. I do not want to get involved in this war I am not concerned with. I should have listened, I should have stayed. Kherána sp'iká. Come on, Náiri. You can do this.

She stood up and walked swiftly to the counter against which she leaned.

"Hi, I'm Náiri."
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

(OOC: By the way, welcome to the CBB, Evynova!)
Evynova wrote:A place to rest at last. I can't remember the last time I visited one of those fancy places with actual tables and chairs. I can't even remember the last time I visited an inn at all.

Without a word, Náiri sat in a corner. She glanced at the people in the room, staring at their faces one by one, as to memorise them. She did not trust anyone, and especially not in such a crowded place. She sighed.

I miss my homeland, sometimes. Why did I have to be so inconsiderate? Everyone wants me dead, including my own people. When I'm not chased by these lawless Elves, it's the Hafnjans that hunt me down. If you're not with them, you are against them. Look at me now! Pitiful fool! I shouldn't have come in. My hair's a mess, my face is covered in mud and blood, my damn clothes are tattered... And I can feel eyes scrutinising me. She shook her head. I need to relax. I must not get submerged by my emotions. I've got to keep a cool head... in case something happens. You can never be too cautious.

She ran her hand through her mid-length hair, snow-white had it not been stained with dirt and blood. K'anena, I wonder when this will end. I'm tired of being on the run all the time. I do not want to get involved in this war I am not concerned with. I should have listened, I should have stayed. Kherána sp'iká. Come on, Náiri. You can do this.

She stood up and walked swiftly to the counter against which she leaned.

"Hi, I'm Náiri."
Nico's attention is drawn towards the doorway. He watches the strange figure take a seat over in the corner. As she looks around the room, he offers her a smile, which seems to go unnoticed as she stares intently at each person in turn. When she at last offers her name, Nico stands up and bows towards the newcomer, his left wing cirled forward and his right tipped back.

"I am Nico. You look like you've been in quite a fight! Are you hurt? Anyway, you're safe in this place!"
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

Náiri displayed an embarrassed smile that quickly disappeared as she looked down at her feet.

"I'm.. It's not my blood. I hunt, this is reindeer blood. Is there.. by any chance, anywhere I could clean this mess up? I feel like I am dishonouring this place by being present in such a.. deplorable condition." She did not look at him as she spoke, as if ashamed. "But many thanks, for allowing me here. I am not welcome everywhere, you see? My kind tends to be somewhat rejected nowadays. Look at me, white hair and grey skin tends to get noticed fairly easily, and with the war that's raging in my country... Any unsuspecting target is a good practice target for a bow and arrows. My people is not even involved, but I am out of my borders, and when one strays too far away from the herd..." She did not finish her sentence, but rather took a deep breath.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Argenzu and Jácove turn around and see someone entering the inn, covered in blood.
Evynova wrote:Náiri displayed an embarrassed smile that quickly disappeared as she looked down at her feet.

"I'm.. It's not my blood. I hunt, this is reindeer blood. Is there.. by any chance, anywhere I could clean this mess up?

The bathroom is over there, Náiri, Argenzu says, covering his nose with one hand and pointing at the wooden door with the other.
Flowing water, hot, cold, coming from sinks, a water closet. Wait, you need soap, but I think there is some.
... Oh, excuse my manners, I'm just not used to smelling this amount of blood.
I'm Argenzu Montéis, from Buonavalle. And at my side is my friend Jácove Giurízon, also from Buonavalle.
Jácove waves his hand at Náiri.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Evynova wrote:Náiri displayed an embarrassed smile that quickly disappeared as she looked down at her feet.

"I'm.. It's not my blood. I hunt, this is reindeer blood. Is there.. by any chance, anywhere I could clean this mess up? I feel like I am dishonouring this place by being present in such a.. deplorable condition." She did not look at him as she spoke, as if ashamed. "But many thanks, for allowing me here. I am not welcome everywhere, you see? My kind tends to be somewhat rejected nowadays. Look at me, white hair and grey skin tends to get noticed fairly easily, and with the war that's raging in my country... Any unsuspecting target is a good practice target for a bow and arrows. My people is not even involved, but I am out of my borders, and when one strays too far away from the herd..." She did not finish her sentence, but rather took a deep breath.
"Oh, you're a hunter! I understand now. But, really Neyiri, there's no need to feel embarrassed! You were bringing home food for you folk, right? Sometimes hunters come home pretty well knocked around and in worse shape than you're in now! Um, what's a rain deer --- the creature you were hunting? Do they run only when it's raining? Or is it just their clan name?"

He straightens up as he listens to Náiri's story, his body tensing slightly. "Why would you be rejected, and especially your whole folk! That's so wrong! Anyway," he pauses, relaxing somewhat. Clearly, injustices of this sort are not tolerated too well Nico! "It seems that everyone is welcome in this weird place. And what's wrong with grey skin anyway? Many Turghun have grey skins; one of my closest friends is a Turghun. Me and my sister Enca, there;" his left wing tips back towards where Enca is sitting with Risatri the healer: "We're Tana. Tana and Turghun are two kindreds that are Daine."

He looks down at his arms & body, then back up at Náiri: "Our skins are white, as you can see. But other Tana have more reddish or earth colored skins. I've heard some are blue and nearly black. Our hair and feather colors also differ. Most Daine of our country have dark earth colored or black hair, like ours; some have red; some blue. I've heard that in the Lands of Sunset, there are still folk with yellow hair. White is certainly unusual! Even among Daine it's a rare color. It's a sign of great power. Are you a seer or story-enchanter or magic-shaper? Or --- wait! You're a hunter, right? Are you a beast-singer? That's a rare gift!"

"And how did you get here, anyway? Enca and me had just crashed our airship and we were looking about to see if anyone was around. We came up an old stone-ring and saw a merry light there. It was getting dark and I wondered if there wasn't a caravansary there and perhaps we crashed closer to home than we thought. Anyway, we got up to the middle of the ring and the light surrounded us and we found ourselves just outside the door there!"
Egerius wrote:The bathroom is over there, Náiri, Argenzu says, covering his nose with one hand and pointing at the wooden door with the other.
Flowing water, hot, cold, coming from sinks, a water closet.
Nico can't help but chuckle at Argenzu's reaction --- it's just a little blood, after all, and she's unhurt! "It's not like our bathing houses back home --- nowhere near as spacious and comfortable as it could be --- but it'll do!"
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

K'anena, I can't recall the last time I used a proper bathroom.

After quickly cleaning the dirt off of her face and hair, Náiri came back to Nico, Argenzu and Jácove.

"It's complicated." She took another deep breath and sighed loudly. "Where I come from, it is not permitted to leave. If you leave, don't ever dare come back, you will be killed.

I had everything I needed to be happy: unlike most, my family wasn't poor. I was able to get a proper education and I was destined to a good, careless life. But it wasn't enough, I wanted to explore that world I wasn't allowed to see. I wanted to discover what was beyond the mountains in which we confined ourselves.. I thought I had made the right decision, I thought everything would be fine. I guess I was wrong, right?"
She laughed nervously. "When I arrived in the South, there was a war I wasn't aware of. The natives rebelled against the colons, can you imagine? They used to be so pacific, impossible to make them kill a damn bird, and now... The colons, the Hafnjan as they call themselves, think I support the natives because I am not like them, and the natives think I support the Hafnjan because my people severed the ties they had with them. Whoever I turn to, they want me dead, and I definitely can't go back to my own people. But it's my own damn fault. I shouldn't have acted so.. irrationally. It is very important for us not to let our emotions overwhelm us. That's why I am a shame to my family now. I let my pulsions dictate my behaviour and now here I am, hunting deers and rabbits, drinking in rivers and puddles, and running away from everyone because I might get stabbed in the back."

Náiri looked at Nico's peculiar appearance.

"You.. you remind me of Hafnjan's stories about bird people descending from.. what do they call them again? Gods? I've gotta say, I've never seen folks like you! You're so weird! Oh.. I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend you. I'm not used to being around people anymore. Anyway, pleased to meet you all."