The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by elemtilas »

Micamo wrote: Looking a stranger directly in the eye, where I come from, is a sign of aggression. The eyes partially hidden is a sign that you aren't looking for a fight.
I see! Then I must apologise for perhaps making you so uncomfortable! For us, looking another in the eyes directly shows respect for what she is saying, as well as interest. If I wished to engage you in an enjoyable bout of honour combat, I would simply ask you! For us hiding the eyes is like hiding the soul, it is a sad thing when see other beings do this, because we wonder what can cause them such pain!
Average temperatures in the Everwhite range between -35C in winter up to a nice, balmy 5C in summer. But wind chill is is significant; In summer frostbite can set in within 30 minutes of exposure, and in winter that time can be as short as 5 minutes. You don't go around unprotected, and that's that!
I am quite cold hardy, but those colds sound dreadful to me! Here the temperature rarely falls lower than about six degrees below zero -- in our scales, zero is the point of freezing of water and one hundred forty four is the point of boiling. I have the feeling, your thermoscopions are a little bit longer than ours!
"Xhw'sh Hask'ihthtex" is my clan name, and "P'xwth" is my personal name. All clans are either "Xhw'sh" <shadow> or "Thkw'" <breath> clans. The name "Hask'ihthtex" means "Where all of us were betrayed."

"P'xwth" is an old name, but it once meant "She awakens at midnight."
The closest I can easily manage is Pecweshte -- Cweshte actually means swift one. She Awakens at Midnight is a very canny name indeed! For those who awaken at midnight are those fortunate enough to cast their eyes upwards and gaze in awe at the works of Vanayallen, the Maker of Stars!
I am a Xhwish'aan. My job is to remember what others have long forgotten.
Oh! You are a sawyer! Here in Narutanea, the lands of the East, it is the Sawyers who remember what other folk have long since forgotten. They are very lorewise indeed, and I bow deeply in respect for the wisdom you you keep in mind and heart!

Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Egerius wrote:"Dragons!", he responds slowly, turning around to the feline clothed in rags.
Dragons are, at least where I come from, no more than mythical animals, giant lizards with enormous wings.
The closest things to dragons we had lived a long time ago at the foot of the Monte Palato, or "Mount Palatu". These animals are long extinct, but their vestiges still can be seen: It's the birds.

By the way, I haven't heared your name.
I'm Argenzu. Argenzu Montèis from Grezognja.

He stretches out his right hand, with an unsure smile on his face, hoping that the Lion-Man wouldn't chop it off.
It looks unsurely at the outstretched hand, not familiar with the gesture. “I... have forgotten my name. Most call me 'demon', in complete disregard for my feelings" it feigns hurt pride for a moment before continuing in a loud stage whisper, "You could call me Zedata" it smiles conspiratorially. "So, the demons would ride dragons because they breathe fire? Magic like that is pure legend... but it can't be for the scales or the wings; even I have scales, and wings aren't as hard as some would pretend..."
elemtilas wrote:Here in Gea, they live in the mountains. They don't often come down from the high country, but when they do, you'd better take cover! Did your dragons turn into birds? I can see how they might be akin, after all, they both have fangs and talons and bright feathers! But dragons seem to be scalier and have four legs.
"Bright feathers?” Zedata raises a bladed fist and lets the sleeve of its 'robe' fall down to the elbow, revealing rows of bone-coloured scutes protruding from tough, black flesh... and letting another gust of his rotting odour free in the process. "How ostentatious!" it cackles, capering heavily in a tight circle. “I shall grow some."
Spoiler:
I get the impression that I've done a poor job of showing Zed's true size; he's 11 feet long, eight to the shoulder, and his talons are 14 inches, which is why he must walk on his knuckles.
zedata
[ze.ˈda.ta]
zeda-ta
soul.self-NOM.PR.M
Last edited by Ànradh on 03 Apr 2015 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

A moderately armoured figure approaches, hooded, wearing a black mask with a glowing eye-like symbol on it.
He began to speak in a low, hollow, and resonant voice, like that of sound travelling through metal pipes:

"I am Iqhamek Arash-Hijunu, of Tom-Uzer. I was the first emperor of Vrkhazh, but left that post for a duty I cannot detail. There are strange things I have seen.
elemtilas wrote:
Micamo wrote:
I am a Xhwish'aan. My job is to remember what others have long forgotten.
Oh! You are a sawyer! Here in Narutanea, the lands of the East, it is the Sawyers who remember what other folk have long since forgotten. They are very lorewise indeed, and I bow deeply in respect for the wisdom you you keep in mind and heart!

In Yat-Vrkhazh, we have Archivists. Many magi of the Triad of Magi are Archivists.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

This place has filled quickly!
elemtilas wrote:
Spoiler:
This thing is as huge as an ox! And it doesn’t look like any animal I know. Maybe it is a little similar to the dark hunter, although you say it is not vicious, and the dark hunters are demonic spawn... Does it lay eggs like the hunters?
Ànradh wrote:“I... have forgotten my name. Most call me 'demon', in complete disregard for my feelings" it feigns hurt pride for a moment before continuing in a loud stage whisper, "You could call me Zedata" it smiles conspiratorially. "So, the demons would ride dragons because they breathe fire? Magic like that is pure legend... but it can't be for the scales or the wings; even I have scales, and wings aren't as hard as some would pretend...“
You do look like a demon but you don’t speak like one. What are you?

I don’t think dragons breathe fire. That is silly talk.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote: This thing is as huge as an ox! And it doesn’t look like any animal I know. Maybe it is a little similar to the dark hunter, although you say it is not vicious, and the dark hunters are demonic spawn... Does it lay eggs like the hunters?
Eggs? No, harkan don't lay eggs! They usually make four pups in a litter. Wild harkan are surely more vicious than our domestic ones. Of course, that's not to say they won't fight to protect their masters. And anyway, our Firedog is not that huge! Certainly not as big as an ox!
That is true. Everyone knows they breathe noxious air and venom!

opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

A 20-something years old girl enters:
Hello, I an Kan Un-min, in which Kan is the surname, if you are curious.
I live in a country called Kun-jan.
Currently, I am in the state of choosing a job. I have no children yet.
She looks at Argenzu and screams: Eek, a mouse!
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

Gifuga sees the feline person. "Ah, for a short while I thought you were Sylvane-nan, cat-folk from where I'm from."
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

opipik wrote:She looks at Argenzu and screams: Eek, a mouse!
Argenzu, in turn, looks at the woman, raising his left eyebrow, saying:
Oh, a human! Mice don't come clothed! I'm a Verrománu, a Roman. Are you a Terrana (from Earth) or from somewhere else?
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Foolster41 wrote:Gifuga sees the feline person. "Ah, for a short while I thought you were Sylvane-nan, cat-folk from where I'm from."
"My people revere lions. I no longer do personally, but it's a habit with me to take their shapes."
gestaltist wrote:You do look like a demon but you don’t speak like one. What are you?

elemtilas wrote:That is true. Everyone knows they breathe noxious air and venom!
Zedata sighs, "A demon is what I am, if you must use the word." All theatrics dropped, it ceases fidgeting and wraps its arms around itself as though cold. "Some men die and disappear, others die and drift about aimlessly, and the strongest come back." It pauses. "I came back. Several times actually. Dying has a certain... liberating effect on the human mind, and our magic becomes strong enough to manipulate our bodies." It pauses again, eyes going unfocussed as it stares into space. "I tried to take a living body once, but could only manage to share it with the owner; souls are hard to tear from their natural roots, you see. I was going to wait until he died and devour it to take his strength, and take his body after, but the things I saw him do to survive... Will of a demon indeed. I do not think I would have won that contest, and that's a death I wouldn't have come back from." A shiver, and the grin returns, "A shame about those dragons though, I would suit breathing fire. Noxious air and venom doesn't quite suit my image as well, does it?" it asks preening. "This still doesn't answer the question of why a demon would deign to ride them." Zed stops, something just occurring to it, "How do your demons speak?"
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Anradh wrote:
gestaltist wrote:You do look like a demon but you don’t speak like one. What are you?

elemtilas wrote:That is true. Everyone knows they breathe noxious air and venom!
Zedata sighs, "A demon is what I am, if you must use the word." All theatrics dropped, it ceases fidgeting and wraps its arms around itself as though cold. "Some men die and disappear, others die and drift about aimlessly, and the strongest come back." It pauses. "I came back. Several times actually. Dying has a certain... liberating effect on the human mind, and our magic becomes strong enough to manipulate our bodies." It pauses again, eyes going unfocussed as it stares into space. "I tried to take a living body once, but could only manage to share it with the owner; souls are hard to tear from their natural roots, you see. I was going to wait until he died and devour it to take his strength, and take his body after, but the things I saw him do to survive... Will of a demon indeed. I do not think I would have won that contest, and that's a death I wouldn't have come back from." A shiver, and the grin returns, "A shame about those dragons though, I would suit breathing fire. Noxious air and venom doesn't quite suit my image as well, does it?" it asks preening. "This still doesn't answer the question of why a demon would deign to ride them." Zed stops, something just occurring to it, "How do your demons speak?"
[/quote]

I don't think you're a demon... If you're dead, and are still upright, then you must be a deadfella. Even if you are, like twice as tall as I am! There's a social agency for them in the City, you know, the Society for the Rights of the Unliving. I've seen their broadsheets -- they've got slogans like "The Dead Are People Too" and "Respect For the Walking Dead -- It Is Simply the Right Thing to Do!" and "We Deserve a Dying Wage -- Equal Pay for Zombies and Deadfellas!" For us, demons are very ancient beings that came into the World early on and took shape when Gea was new yet. Some people think they're evil; but honestly, I think they don't know what is good or evil. They simply simply seek to accomplish their own ends without regard to thoughts of good or evil in their actions. Perhaps they are some kind of spirit being, akin to the Powers, for they too came into the World and took shape... But they came working either good or evil according to their natures. I think if you were really a demon, you probably wouldn't bother talking to us at all!

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote:You do look like a demon but you don’t speak like one. What are you? I don’t think dragons breathe fire. That is silly talk.
Anradh wrote:Zedata sighs, "A demon is what I am, if you must use the word." All theatrics dropped, it ceases fidgeting and wraps its arms around itself as though cold. "Some men die and disappear, others die and drift about aimlessly, and the strongest come back." It pauses. "I came back. Several times actually. Dying has a certain... liberating effect on the human mind, and our magic becomes strong enough to manipulate our bodies." It pauses again, eyes going unfocussed as it stares into space. "I tried to take a living body once, but could only manage to share it with the owner; souls are hard to tear from their natural roots, you see. I was going to wait until he died and devour it to take his strength, and take his body after, but the things I saw him do to survive... Will of a demon indeed. I do not think I would have won that contest, and that's a death I wouldn't have come back from." A shiver, and the grin returns, "A shame about those dragons though, I would suit breathing fire. Noxious air and venom doesn't quite suit my image as well, does it?" it asks preening. "This still doesn't answer the question of why a demon would deign to ride them." Zed stops, something just occurring to it, "How do your demons speak?"
I don't think you're a demon... If you're dead, and are still upright, then you must be a deadfella. Even if you are, like twice as tall as I am! There's a social agency for them in the City, you know, the Society for the Rights of the Unliving. I've seen their broadsheets -- they've got slogans like "The Dead Are People Too" and "Respect For the Walking Dead -- It Is Simply the Right Thing to Do!" and "We Deserve a Dying Wage -- Equal Pay for Zombies and Deadfellas!" For us, demons are very ancient beings that came into the World early on and took shape when Gea was new yet. Some people think they're evil; but honestly, I think they don't know what is good or evil. They simply simply seek to accomplish their own ends without regard to thoughts of good or evil in their actions. Perhaps they are some kind of spirit being, akin to the Powers, for they too came into the World and took shape... But they came working either good or evil according to their natures. I think if you were really a demon, you probably wouldn't bother talking to us at all!

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

elemtilas wrote:
"How do your demons speak?"
Most of what you said of demons I believe to be true. In our world, demons are a byproduct of the creative power of the Twin Suns - they created without regard for order or good. Which is why the Old God had to create the Earthly Gods to protect the world from such things.

Also: I don’t know how demons speak - I have never seen a living demon. Our legends say they spoke from mind to mind, without words.
Last edited by gestaltist on 03 Apr 2015 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

Oh, a human! Mice don't come clothed! I'm a Verrománu, a Roman. Are you a Terrana (from Earth) or from somewhere else?
Some of my ancestors were from Earth, but I live on a planet, that's called Tan-Kun-Jan by our people.
And what is the name of your planet, Argenzu?
Tan-Kun-Jan means simply The World in our language.
Meta-level wrote:Yes, this is the world of Project Tectite speakers.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

opipik wrote:And what is the name of your planet, Argenzu?
Tan-Kun-Jan means simply The World in our language.
Some of my ancestors were from Earth, but I live on a planet, that's called Tan-Kun-Jan by our people.
We call our planet simply 'Earth' in the various languages spoken on it, but the probes that brought us there call it Rodentèrra - The Planet of Rodents.

Argenzu notices that his laptop's battery is running low, says "I'll be back soon" and leaves the inn.
Outside, he opens the door of the red telephone box, enters it and closes the door - but he wouldn't leave, not yet.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

elemtilas wrote:I don't think you're a demon... If you're dead, and are still upright, then you must be a deadfella. Even if you are, like twice as tall as I am! There's a social agency for them in the City, you know, the Society for the Rights of the Unliving. I've seen their broadsheets -- they've got slogans like "The Dead Are People Too" and "Respect For the Walking Dead -- It Is Simply the Right Thing to Do!" and "We Deserve a Dying Wage -- Equal Pay for Zombies and Deadfellas!" For us, demons are very ancient beings that came into the World early on and took shape when Gea was new yet. Some people think they're evil; but honestly, I think they don't know what is good or evil. They simply simply seek to accomplish their own ends without regard to thoughts of good or evil in their actions. Perhaps they are some kind of spirit being, akin to the Powers, for they too came into the World and took shape... But they came working either good or evil according to their natures. I think if you were really a demon, you probably wouldn't bother talking to us at all!
"Some of us are very old, and we are considered evil... I think it's the soul stealing. Doesn't make us popular. Or it could be wearing the skins of their recent dead... Mortals are touchy like that."
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

"Some of us are very old..."
How old?
The oldest people on the planet, where I live, are about 125 years old.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

opipik wrote:How old?
The oldest people on the planet, where I live, are about 125 years old.
"Humans usually don't make it much past 50, most die in their late thirties or early forties. Some demons are older than three centuries, though most of us have to work that out. It's difficult to remember, especially for those of us who have died a lot." Zedata cringes, "I have had a run of bad luck in that regard. The 'deadfellas' of my homeland aren't treated at all well... On a related note, you would not believe how much impalement hurts."
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

Zedata wrote:Humans usually don't make it much past 50, most die in their late thirties or early forties.
Here, humans usually live some 70 years.
Your society isn't very advanced, is it?
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

opipik wrote:Here, humans usually live some 70 years.
Your society isn't very advanced, is it?
Zedata nods sadly. "Indeed... Did I not mention the impalement? I suppose it's better than what those damned Southerners do, but what can you expect from a bunch of seal-hunting tent dwellers?"
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

but what can you expect from a bunch of seal-hunting tent dwellers?
Ooh!
I thought that only these on a camp reside temporarly in tents, but residing permanently in them?