The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by elemtilas »

Egerius wrote:Argenzu steps out of the bathroom, no longer shivering, with his laptop under his arm.
He looks around, avoiding to look Zedata. He quickly returns to his seat, stuffing the large ring back under his cloak.
He continues working, swiping through hexadecimal numbers, typing lines.

"Ugh, I need something. Bartender, what's on the menu?"
Are you okay? Thanks for showing us your, um -- lap top? -- Here's what my Box looks like:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Meta wrote:…. the artificer Stephanos Laboriosoi …. Steve Wozniak? Actually, the person was spot on -- Steve Jobs -- just figure out what Ringomongers Row refers to...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

gestaltist wrote:The Barkeep smiles smugly: - There is no menu - he says. This place is where the minds of gods and demiurges cross. Your drink can turn out to be poison or ambrosia. It depends on the fate the Lord of your universe has prepared for you. - he hands out drinks with a shrug. He has seen it all through the eons.
Spacecabdriver takes the drink with an "Oh, I see! Thank you." (The humans in my home culture think everyone's LORD wants good things for him, so why not take the drink?)
(Spies Canash's Box, and Canash)
(thinks "Oh, there's an AI! And it seems to be friends with that interesting-looking feathered person. Maybe I can strike up a conversation?")
(rolls off seat without spilling drink, walks over on the six legs that happen to touch the floor.)

(Addressing Box): "Hi, mind if I join you and your friend? My name's Single-Pass… excuse me." (adjusts translator to be less long-winded) "My name's Spacecabdriver. What's yours?"
(suddenly realizing he may have interrupted Argenzu): "Uh …"
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

eldin raigmore wrote:(Spies Canash's Box, and Canash)
(thinks "Oh, there's an AI! And it seems to be friends with that interesting-looking feathered person. Maybe I can strike up a conversation?")
(rolls off seat without spilling drink, walks over on the six legs that happen to touch the floor.)

(Addressing Box): "Hi, mind if I join you and your friend? My name's Single-Pass… excuse me." (adjusts translator to be less long-winded) "My name's Spacecabdriver. What's yours?"
(suddenly realizing he may have interrupted Argenzu): "Uh …"
"Greetings Strange Wayfarer! We are the Mark VII Pegopansophicon in the most joyful service of the Lady Brass-Spoon Rattles-Jar Three-Leg-Dog Running-Home. Although it not our place to invite another living spirit being into a conversation with our Mistress, for our part it would be our pleasure to serve you in any way we may be of assistance. We were about to engage Friend Argenzu in conversation, for our blithest and bonniest of Mistresses has informed us he has an interest in such devices of deep thaumology such as ourself. You Strange Wayfarer have addressed us directly: very few living spirit beings are aware of this; therefore we conclude that you must be familiar with devices such as ourself. Have your artificers devised such contrivances, and by what dwimmery do they function?

"We are a class v device, consisting of four ranks of reciting imps, with a capacity of one hundred and twenty standard tomes, including the Great Encyclopedicon Avantimannicon; plus a further four ranks of reciting imps upon which our Mistress has impressed a selection of divers works of her own choosing. Our standard compliment of handy devices includes a horoscopion, a calculoscopion, a vocicaptrix, an iconograph, a lotus tempestas, a geoubicator as well as a standard suite of diagnostic, dowsing and disclosificatory services. The Mark VII Pegopansophicon includes a handy bartleigh box, in which our Mistress may keep safe and easily retrieve again any object she wishes to place within the receptacle on top... The Inter Face looks upward, indicating the brass door on the upper edge of the device.

"Several handy manipulative controls serve to adjust our presentation: the sliders to either side of our Inter Face allow you to adjust the magnification of our eidolon as well as the quality of the image itself; the large crescent shaped slide control to the left alters the volume and quality of our voice. The various twirling knobs and push-buttons, artfully arranged according to two most auspicious asterisms, control various settings within any of our suite of ferraments; typically, they are set to allow one to navigate around an eidolon that appears within our display crystal.

"Lastly, we are equipped with a Series II Inter Face -- The face in the display crystal nods courteously -- We are the unifying factor within this device. We facilitate efficient communication between our Mistress Outside and the Imps Within. In our own right, we are an intelligent and sentient being, though by no means a living spirit being! We are aware of our surroundings and are able to take actions appropriate to the situation. We are the Mark VII Pegopansophicon, constructed by the artificer Stephanos Laboriosoi in Ringomongers Row, and we stand ready to serve in any capacity we may!"

Canash speaks as well: Sure, join us! Um. What is a spacecab driver? Or am I misunderstanding?

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

elemtilas wrote:Box: "Greetings Strange Wayfarer! We are the Mark VII Pegopansophicon in the most joyful service of the Lady Brass-Spoon Rattles-Jar Three-Leg-Dog Running-Home. Although it not
….
appropriate to the situation. We are the Mark VII Pegopansophicon, constructed by the artificer Stephanos Laboriosoi in Ringomongers Row, and we stand ready to serve in any capacity we may!"

Canash speaks as well: Sure, join us! Um. What is a spacecab driver? Or am I misunderstanding?
Spacecabdriver: (momentarily slightly discombobulated): (thinks so this AI isn't a free citizen? that's backward, isn't it? but I mustn't seem judgmental.) "Oh! … um … Hello, Mark VII. Yes, what we call Artificial Intelligences are fairly numerous citizens of my home; I don't know of any who are servants, though. Most of them have all the functions you just mentioned except that, what did you say, 'bartleigh box'? I don't think anyone has invented that where I come from."

(without having to move his head he focuses his attention on Canash):

"And hello, uh, Brass-Spoon Rattles-Jar … sorry, is there some shorter version of your name I can call you? Or what would you like me to call you?
'Spacecabdriver' is my family name; it's also the name of an occupation. It's only a couple centuries old as a name, and only a few centuries older as an occupation. After my people met the humans, it turned out many of them wanted to get from one place in Outer Space to another, or sometimes from a place in Outer Space to a place on a moon or dwarf planet or asteroid or vice-versa. My people can live in Outer Space mostly without extra protection, though we need to carry air on long trips, and stop for air after a few short ones. And with twenty arms and twenty legs we're naturals for controlling and steering small spacecraft that carry just a few passengers and their luggage. Such a spacecraft is called a 'Space cab'. Do you have cabriolets or taxicabs? Steering one is called 'driving' it, I don't know why. Anyway some of my great-great-great-grandparents (and more recent ancestors) became space-cab drivers, and the family took it as a surname. I, also, have earned a living that way; although at the moment I am traveling for an education, to learn about other species and other cultures; humans* pay well for people who can introduce them to new kinds of people, and I'm trying to learn how to do that job."

(again without having to move his head he addresses Argenzu):
"And you are Argenzu? Do you know about AIs where you come from?"

[meta-ish, maybe]
(*actually, anybody back home would pay to be able to talk to Argenzu about his "bartleigh box" -- or to Canash about hers.)
(Spacecabdriver is also wondering whether -- and how -- to get Kyoli involved in the conversation.)
(And he's not sure what a "lotus tempestas" is, but it sounds like some kind of weather-monitoring device.)
[/metaish]
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

gestaltist wrote:The Barkeep smiles smugly: - There is no menu - he says. This place is where the minds of gods and demiurges cross. Your drink can turn out to be poison or ambrosia. It depends on the fate the Lord of your universe has prepared for you. - he hands out drinks with a shrug. He has seen it all through the eons.
Zedata's face turns wary. "The first thing the dead do is search for their gods... Remind me not to order anything from the ba–" the demon never finishes the sentence for he's gone, leaving a pair of struggling dark-skinned humans in his place. Their altercation ceases as they register their surroundings and stare bewildered at the occupants, including a humanoid reptile, a man with feathers, a talking rodent, and some kind of giant arthropod.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

elemtilas wrote:Are you okay? Thanks for showing us your, um -- lap top? -- Here's what my Box looks like:
Spoiler:
I'm allright.
My species still has leftover instincts from pre-sentience. Fur loss in strong fear and danger is one of them. My guts passed out when I saw Zedata transforming; I almost lost my shit. Also a prehistoric reaction.

Argenzu looks at the door as someone leaves.
"He's gone", he whispers.
As Canash shows his Pegopansophicon, Argenzu inspects it carefully.

Wonderfully crafted.

The barkeeper hands Argenzu his drink, just as a Buonavallese text message appears on the beige laptop.
Thank you. Do you accept Buonavallese curren...
Translated text message wrote: Argenzu! Can you read this?
We've been working hard at the Information Technology faculty here, and we've been able to get a reply from the Time-and-Space Box.
You should have access to our multi-network wirelessly via the Box, but videos won't work yet.
We have sent you the coordinates as a BASIC file. You should be able to return to Buonavalle.

If you have encountered something interesting, you may stay there as long as you deem proper, of course.

Just don't forget to send us evidence.

With kind regards,

Aureliu de Costara, Prof. Dr. of Informatics
Willhelm Smiþ, Mag. Art. of Physics
Well, I've got something to celebrate, people! Cheers!
Takes a nip of what's in his cup
Watered wine! With honey! The typical beverage of my people!

Argenzu immediately checks the connection and begins sending the photos secretly made of Zedata.
It's working!

Accidentally slaps the Spacecabdriver with his right hand
Oh, I'm sorry! I was so deep in work, I haven't noticed you. What's your name again?
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

eldin raigmore wrote:"And hello, uh, Brass-Spoon Rattles-Jar … sorry, is there some shorter version of your name I can call you? Or what would you like me to call you?
'Spacecabdriver' is my family name; it's also the name of an occupation. It's only a couple centuries old as a name, and only a few centuries older as an occupation. After my people met the humans, it turned out many of them wanted to get from one place in Outer Space to another, or sometimes from a place in Outer Space to a place on a moon or dwarf planet or asteroid or vice-versa. My people can live in Outer Space mostly without extra protection, though we need to carry air on long trips, and stop for air after a few short ones. And with twenty arms and twenty legs we're naturals for controlling and steering small spacecraft that carry just a few passengers and their luggage. Such a spacecraft is called a 'Space cab'. Do you have cabriolets or taxicabs? Steering one is called 'driving' it, I don't know why. Anyway some of my great-great-great-grandparents (and more recent ancestors) became space-cab drivers, and the family took it as a surname. I, also, have earned a living that way; although at the moment I am traveling for an education, to learn about other species and other cultures; humans* pay well for people who can introduce them to new kinds of people, and I'm trying to learn how to do that job."
Oh, you can call me Canash -- I've gone by that name so long now it seems like I've always worn it!

Here in Auntimoany, we do have sidilliaz, or cabriolets, but that's just the fancy name for those high priced cabs wealthy and pretentious folk like to ride around in. Ordinary cabs we we call triacuclos because they have three wheels. I've ridden in them before, and I can tell you I've never been so terrified! Our cuclos are always very brightly decorated -- many shades of grey, as far as I can see! -- and the cuclosmannaz are always so chatty! You can learn a lot of interesting things from them. I was riding in one, for example, and the driver, while driving straight towards one of the big automotivated trolleys in order to overtake a queue of stopped pantechnicons, was explaining to me, between bites of the biggest, juiciest apple you ever saw, how it is the new tax on imported apples will cause a half-goose rise in the fare charged by cuclosmongers across the City. Needless to say, I walked home after my appointment, rather than risk another high speed economics lesson! I didn't have the heart to heart to suggest that he try nibbling on a mountain crisp apple from the Westfolds, rather than that big fucgeou apple brought up from the southern islands!

What is an outerspace, and why do you have one in your cabriolet? I gather that your cabs are flown in the air? I once had the chance to fly in a poteriovelox when I was travelling in the Westmarche -- I think the driver of that bird could have used a few of your arms and legs! Our aeronauts have to wear a kind of leather harness round their bodies that attaches to ropes that go off into the body of the bird. There are also two banks of great wands he grasps in his hands and some kind of boots he puts his feet in. When he twists his body this way and that, or when he pushes on the boots, you can see the wings on either side of the bird change shape -- just like a living bird in flight! I never thought I would enjoy flying, but it is quite the experience! The only sounds are the rushing wind and the churning of the great fans. There's no hooting horns or shrieking whistles or curses of a thousand drivers, like you get down in the streets of the City!

(sigh) For all that, I still think I would rather keep my two bare feet on the ground!
(*actually, anybody back home would pay to be able to talk to Argenzu about his "bartleigh box" -- or to Canash about hers.)
I see you've taken an interest in Box as well! You can talk to it, it will be very happy to answer -- just be prepared for a veritable saga recitation of heroic proportions! Laboriosoi make a very well crafted device -- they say the imps should last ten years. But if they last seven, that'll still be twice as long as the imps in most devices. Too much low quality rubbish thaumology these days, really -- you can go into a shop in the suq and buy a cheap imp motivated horoscopion, and sure enough, by the time you walk out the door, the imp has already dissipated! And don't even think about trying to exchange it! The shop keeper just shrugs and says, sorry we're not responsible for the quality of the imps inside! Pssh! What a line!

But the built-in bartleigh box is what's really spiff. Look at this:

Canash says: Box, show me my walking stick please. From the brass door on the top of the device a slight blue glow emanates and the tip of a wooden stick appears. Canash opens the door fully and reaches her fingers in to grasp the wood. She draws out a seven foot long intricately carved walking stick. It is black and thin. She leans it against the wood of the table with a loud knocking sound.

Eisenrood! Can't beat it! Hard as stone and can take the head clean off some miserable highwayman without any trouble at all. Plus, I always know exactly what colour it is!
Meta wrote:(And he's not sure what a "lotus tempestas" is, but it sounds like some kind of weather-monitoring device.)
The lotus tempestas is an actual thaumological device, devised obviously in the shape of a brass lotus, that when opened reveals an eidolon of the local weather conditions. So, if you're out in the street and it's raining, and you open your lotus, you will see an eidolon of the street being rained upon! Now, you might be thinking, what use is this!? I already know it's raining, cos my feathers are soaked and every inch of me poor old self is dripping! Lesson learned: you should have opened your lotus half an hour ago and set the wee sliders to show you when the rain would be starting where you are now! Then you could have brought your rain cloak or even a handshade with you!

In the case of the Pegopansophicon, there is virtually a lotus tempestas within. So, not an actual device of cunningly wrought brass, but rather a dwimcrafty virtual device that is shown within the confines of the display crystal.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Ànradh wrote:Zedata's face turns wary. "The first thing the dead do is search for their gods... Remind me not to order anything from the ba–" the demon never finishes the sentence for he's gone, leaving a pair of struggling dark-skinned humans in his place. Their altercation ceases as they register their surroundings and stare bewildered at the occupants, including a humanoid reptile, a man with feathers, a talking rodent, and some kind of giant arthropod.
Spacecabdriver: Oh, wow! Uh, hi, guys. We were just introducing ourselves. My name's Spacecabdriver.
Argenzu wrote:Wonderfully crafted.
Spacecabdriver: Yes, isn't it, though?
Argenzu wrote:Thank you. Do you accept Buonavallese curren…
Spacecabdriver: I get the impression the drinks are free as long as one keeps entertaining the other customers.
Argenzu wrote:Well, I've got something to celebrate, people! Cheers!
Spacecabdriver: Cheers! (takes a sip)
Argenzu wrote:Watered wine! With honey! The typical beverage of my people!
Spacecabdriver: Mine's really good. I've had it before. But I'm no connoisseur so I can't tell what's in it, besides ethanol, water, and a touch of some arsenic salt. There's some stimulant in it too, but I don't know what. If I over-indulge I'll be a very alert drunk!
Argenzu wrote:It's working!
Accidentally slaps the Spacecabdriver with his right hand
Oh, I'm sorry! I was so deep in work, I haven't noticed you. What's your name again?
Spacecabdriver: My name's Spacecabdriver. Can you tell me about your devices? And your species and your culture and your job? I hope I don't seem too nosy.
Canash wrote:Oh, you can call me Canash -- I've gone by that name so long now it seems like I've always worn it!
Spacecabdriver: Thanks, Canash -- did I pronounce that right?
Canash wrote:Here in Auntimoany, ….
Spacecabdriver thinks: we're in Auntimoany? where's that?
Canash wrote:…. we do have sidilliaz, or cabriolets, but that's just the fancy name for those high priced cabs wealthy and pretentious folk like to ride around in. Ordinary cabs we we call triacuclos because they have three wheels. I've ridden in them before, and I can tell you I've never been so terrified! Our cuclos are always very brightly decorated -- many shades of grey, as far as I can see! --
Spacecabdriver thinks: she's colorblind? i've never met a bird-like person who couldn't see even more colors than most mammal-like people! and among our humans colorblindness seems to be a male-only thing. is she really female or have i made a mistake? and do those feathers and wings really mean she's bird-like? i can't tell how mammalian or avian she is.
Canash wrote: -- and the cuclosmannaz are always so chatty! You can learn a lot of interesting things from them. I was riding in one, for example, and the driver, while driving straight towards one of the big automotivated trolleys in order to overtake a queue of stopped pantechnicons, was explaining to me, between bites of the biggest, juiciest apple you ever saw, how it is the new tax on imported apples will cause a half-goose rise in the fare charged by cuclosmongers across the City. Needless to say, I walked home after my appointment, rather than risk another high speed economics lesson! I didn't have the heart to heart to suggest that he try nibbling on a mountain crisp apple from the Westfolds, rather than that big fucgeou apple brought up from the southern islands!
Spacecabdriver: <chuckles -- but it's clearly a learned response, though a sincere one> Yeah, I've heard stories like that too, mostly from the cabdriver's side. Sometimes I used to get a passenger who'd never ridden a spacecab before; some of them were scared, but most were really excited.
Canash wrote:What is an outerspace, and why do you have one in your cabriolet?
Spacecabdriver: Oh! Uh … the cab flies through outer space; it doesn't contain outer space. "Outer Space" is the vacuum outside of the atmospheres, between all the various solid and liquid bodies and their atmospheres. Most of space is empty -- or at least has only micropressure -- and doesn't have any breathable gas in it, not even gas that's poisonous or can't support life. And in most of it no single body's gravitational field provides more than 1% of the gravitational force to any body "floating" out there "in free fall". My people usually stay closer to a star, though; so we're usually still in the star's gravitational field. We call whatever star we live closest to "our sun". But if anyone wants to go out to do something in the Kuyper Belt or the Oort Cloud or further, we "space centipedes" are always among the first to accompany and assist them.
(thinks: i can tell she's not getting it. but Mark Seven seems to be.)
Canash wrote:I gather that your cabs are flown in the air?
Spacecabdriver: Mostly through outer space, but sometimes through atmosphere, yes. Also, we can touch down and alight on either solid or liquid.
Canash wrote: I once had the chance to fly in a poteriovelox when I was travelling in the Westmarche -- I think the driver of that bird could have used a few of your arms and legs! Our aeronauts have to wear a kind of leather harness round their bodies that attaches to ropes that go off into the body of the bird. There are also two banks of great wands he grasps in his hands and some kind of boots he puts his feet in. When he twists his body this way and that, or when he pushes on the boots, you can see the wings on either side of the bird change shape -- just like a living bird in flight! I never thought I would enjoy flying, but it is quite the experience!
Spacecabdriver: I remember what flying was like! But, as you've probably figured out by observing me, we don't usually need to twist much to fly, though we certainly can twist a lot.
Canash wrote: The only sounds are the rushing wind and the churning of the great fans. There's no hooting horns or shrieking whistles or curses of a thousand drivers, like you get down in the streets of the City!
Spacecabdriver: Yes, it's even quieter in space -- unless someone turns on a radio. You may be ba
Canash wrote:I see you've taken an interest in Box as well! You can talk to it, it will be very happy to answer -- just be prepared for a veritable saga recitation of heroic proportions! Laboriosoi make a very well crafted device -- they say the imps should last ten years. But if they last seven, that'll still be twice as long as the imps in most devices. Too much low quality rubbish thaumology these days, really -- you can go into a shop in the suq and buy a cheap imp motivated horoscopion, and sure enough, by the time you walk out the door, the imp has already dissipated! And don't even think about trying to exchange it! The shop keeper just shrugs and says, sorry we're not responsible for the quality of the imps inside! Pssh! What a line!
Spacecabdriver thinks: an 'imp' seems to be some kind of combination power-battery and motherboard-plug-and-play device? why aren't they rechargeable?
Canash wrote:But the built-in bartleigh box is what's really spiff. Look at this:
Box, show me my walking stick please.
(From the brass door on the top of the device a slight blue glow emanates and the tip of a wooden stick appears. Canash opens the door fully and reaches her fingers in to grasp the wood. She draws out a seven foot long intricately carved walking stick. It is black and thin. She leans it against the wood of the table with a loud knocking sound.)
Canash wrote:Eisenrood! Can't beat it! Hard as stone and can take the head clean off some miserable highwayman without any trouble at all. Plus, I always know exactly what colour it is!
Spacecabdriver (heartfelt): Wwooww!
Canash wrote:The lotus tempestas is an actual thaumological device, devised obviously in the shape of a brass lotus, that when opened reveals an eidolon of the local weather conditions. So, if you're out in the street and it's raining, and you open your lotus, you will see an eidolon of the street being rained upon! Now, you might be thinking, what use is this!? I already know it's raining, cos my feathers are soaked and every inch of me poor old self is dripping! Lesson learned: you should have opened your lotus half an hour ago and set the wee sliders to show you when the rain would be starting where you are now! Then you could have brought your rain cloak or even a handshade with you!
In the case of the Pegopansophicon, there is virtually a lotus tempestas within. So, not an actual device of cunningly wrought brass, but rather a dwimcrafty virtual device that is shown within the confines of the display crystal.
Spacecabdriver: Oh. Very useful. The humans where I live traditionally -- so I've heard -- make their location-and-direction-indicating devices in the form of a flower called a "rose". So having a weather device shaped like a "lotus" flower isn't that strange to me, though I've never heard of it before.

Spacecabdriver: Uh.. look.. I have lots of questions to ask and don't really know where to start. So I'll just ask a bunch and you ignore the ones that are impolite and stop me when I ask too many. Are most of your AIs servants, or are most of them free citizens? Where's Auntimoany? Is being colorblind normal for your species and/or sex? Are you avian or mammalian or both or neither? I think you're female -- are you? (I'm male, by the way, in case you were wondering.) Did you have ancestors who could fly without special suits and machines? You may be able to tell that the "legs" on my third and fifth segments can double as fins or wings; as an adolescent, before my last molt, I did a lot of flying in the air. Why can't your imps be re-charged? And how in The World does that "bartleigh box" work? Are they hard to make or expensive to obtain?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Oh, you can call me Canash -- I've gone by that name so long now it seems like I've always worn it!
Spacecabdriver: Thanks, Canash -- did I pronounce that right?

Spacecabdriver thinks: we're in Auntimoany? where's that?
Yes, you pronounce it very well! Um. Where do you think we are? I know my friend here lives and travels in the big red bartleigh box over by the door. As for me, all I know is when I turn down Ropetwisters Mew, there's a spot I know for a fact used to be a brick wall, and now there's this tavern, red trim round the windows and doors and big bold runes over all saying Poupina Macoui Tourannias. I wondered if maybe this was some kind of strange wandering shop; but when I came in I knew twas a popina and there were other folks here. Strange, to be sure; not Daine, but, um, other kinds of people. I found they have been very interesting to talk with, though a few have been very quiet indeed. It is strange: when I come in here at noon and stay for a good long while, when I go out again, it is still noon, and I see the same people in the mew just where they were when I popped in here...

Canash wrote:What is an outerspace, and why do you have one in your cabriolet?
Spacecabdriver: Oh! Uh … the cab flies through outer space; it doesn't contain outer space. "Outer Space" is the vacuum outside of the atmospheres, between all the various solid and liquid bodies and their atmospheres. Most of space is empty -- or at least has only micropressure -- and doesn't have any breathable gas in it, not even gas that's poisonous or can't support life. And in most of it no single body's gravitational field provides more than 1% of the gravitational force to any body "floating" out there "in free fall". My people usually stay closer to a star, though; so we're usually still in the star's gravitational field. We call whatever star we live closest to "our sun". But if anyone wants to go out to do something in the Kuyper Belt or the Oort Cloud or further, we "space centipedes" are always among the first to accompany and assist them.
(thinks: i can tell she's not getting it. but Mark Seven seems to be.)
Canash says only: :wat:

Pegopansophicon says: "If I may, o Mistress of Profound Dumbfoundery! You see sir, and we shall recite from Quundman's Astrology Up To Date: ...for it is the case in sooth that at the center of All That Is rests Sawel, a great and fiery furnace, which is a Star; and round her wheel the thirteen planets, of which Gea and her twin Selanna be the greatest, for they are true worlds. Looking even through the mightiest of telespeculons, it is clear the other planets be nothing more than wee smudgy discs, small and insignificant in size. Only Ares is colored -- one half red and the other half green and blue..." The Inter Face pauses, its face belying an internal turmoil: "Between you and me, and while we may be infringing upon our Terms of Service to say so, friend, we don't subscribe to the learned doctor's thesis. We are a Class V device, and we are able to put ourself in contact with, ah, kindred spirits even here in Gea. All That Is is truly a greater wonder than any person of Gea knows to be the case!"

Box, what are you saying?

"Oh Mistress of the Many Deep Questions! We are simply describing the wonders of All That Is to this, strange visitor from far, far away!"

Oh. Canash looks troubled...
I remember what flying was like! But, as you've probably figured out by observing me, we don't usually need to twist much to fly, though we certainly can twist a lot.[/b]
You could actually fly? We can not fly with out wings, though some can manage to glide a bit, or at least come to no great harm if they leap from a high place.
Spacecabdriver thinks: an 'imp' seems to be some kind of combination power-battery and motherboard-plug-and-play device? why aren't they rechargeable?
Rechargeable...? All I know is the ensorcellments that bind the imps to a device such as this weakens over time. It would be a very bad thing indeed to try and bind an imp permanently. That would be a kind of slavery. I do not know what is involved in binding an imp, but I have heard they are powerful and will not submit to permanent binding; and they must be paid for the time they spend bound within devices like this.

She pauses, even more confused than when Argenzu talks! I have actually seen a bat tree though! Some folks here in the City have lights that drink the spirits of Elektra City; and I know the salamanders that provide the djus are kept in cages high up in bat trees on the rooves of the houses. There is a thread of copper that comes down from the bat tree and into the house. You turn a glass knob and the luciferescent orb begins to glow a bright, warm red! I love the colour of a luciferescent orb! It is entrancing like a fire and I can stare at it for hours! Clearly, Canash is wandering down Reverie Lane here...
Spacecabdriver (heartfelt): Wwooww!
Neat eh? But you should have a look at Argenzu's bartleigh box. If it's anything like the ones in the Museum, then tis a wonder indeed! They say whole companies of knights have crossed the threshold of another world, a world devised by the deepest of dwimmeries. And it's all inside the box! Sometimes the knights even come back out again, and do they ever have stories to tell!
Spacecabdriver: Oh. Very useful. The humans where I live traditionally -- so I've heard -- make their location-and-direction-indicating devices in the form of a flower called a "rose".
A rose? Really? How strange...
Spacecabdriver: She's colorblind? i've never met a bird-like person who couldn't see even more colors than most mammal-like people! and among our humans colorblindness seems to be a male-only thing. is she really female or have i made a mistake? and do those feathers and wings really mean she's bird-like? i can't tell how mammalian or avian she is.

Uh.. look.. I have lots of questions to ask and don't really know where to start. So I'll just ask a bunch and you ignore the ones that are impolite and stop me when I ask too many. Is being colorblind normal for your species and/or sex? Are you avian or mammalian or both or neither? I think you're female -- are you? (I'm male, by the way, in case you were wondering.)
If it's possible for Canash to turn any redder, you could call her an apple! It is not something I like to talk about; but you are right about one thing, friend. Male Daine are indeed blind to colour! A few can see reds as distinguishable from black. Um. I'm one of those few. Where I grew up, in Hoopelle, it was a common enough torture that the human masters would inflict on some of us. They would cut our bodies, and remove certain parts of us: the cuts did not kill, but the curious dwimmery they produced causes us to undergo the Change. Our bodies become female, as you can see. Our minds, our hearts, those remain male. I can neither see nor think nor even walk like a girl, yet every Daine I meet sees a female. There is nothing to be done, so I try to put it from my mind. When I came here to Auntimoany, I only told a few very close family members. To everyone else, I am the strange wandering girl come home again.

Ahem.

But you mentioned something interesting, a thing I never understood at all. You said the birdfolk often see more colors? It is, I believe, the case that Daine girls -- proper girls, mind! -- are able to see many more colors than the human women. They talk of colours and hues and richness of tone like it's the most wonderful thing ever! I hate it when they talk about the colors of this and that -- all I can do is smile and pretend like I agree with them...
Spoiler:
META: this is kind of like what Canash sees: Image
But we have our own secrets! We may not see colors, but the black we can see we see much deeper! I can see details and difference of shade no girl can; I never fear walking under the stars, because I can see very well by their light! I can see the mighty fires of the bronzesmiths' forges through the walls of their furnaces. You might think I'm crazy, but I can see Gea's third moon...it is blackred, like the fire. Like the heart of the luciferescent orb.
Are most of your AIs servants, or are most of them free citizens? Where's Auntimoany? Did you have ancestors who could fly without special suits and machines? You may be able to tell that the "legs" on my third and fifth segments can double as fins or wings; as an adolescent, before my last molt, I did a lot of flying in the air. Why can't your imps be re-charged? And how in The World does that "bartleigh box" work? Are they hard to make or expensive to obtain?
Citizens? Friend, it was only in the last five years or so that we Daine were recognised as full citizens, "equal in rights and dignities", or so the Emperor in Parliament said! Huh! Not that we minded being not-quite-citizens! We leave Men to run their empire as they see fit; and they have very rarely molested us here in Auntimoany. Very different from my birthplace!, where Men felt very free indeed to molest and enslave us.

Um. Is an ayye your word for magic box? I am not certain of its personhood... Or at least, Box tells me they are not a person! I frankly don't quite believe that... Hm. They say they "persevere in joyful service of their glossy-feathered Mistress"; but I know for a fact they are not like any servant I've ever met. The serving girls down at the Palas museum -- you know, the young uneducated girls who keep all the knick-knacks dust free and serve the luncheon in the popina there -- they're always bobbing curtsies and saying things like "yes mum, no mum, thank you for your custom mum!" Tis like watching a game of racquets, the way they bounce up and down like a ball! Box, you can better explain what you are than I can!

"Oh, yes, our glossy feathered Mistress! It shall be our singular pleasure!" The Inter Face animates noticeably: "As we said, we are a Class V device! We are not a living spirit being! We shall recite from the Encyclopedicon: Devised by Verger Thorfield (1783-1914), a philosophic mage of Codeis of Harunn in the late 1810s, the scale is a taxonomic feature of thaumic and nearthaumic objects. It is designed solely to define the basic parameters of the thaumic qualities of an object. Class V includes objects that are intelligent and sentient, though not necessarily alive in the usual biological sense. Such objects might could be alive in some other sense, however. The imps within us are indeed spirit beings -- which is why our Artificer is abjured from binding them permanently, and must even compensate them for their service -- yet we are the Mark VII Inter Face. We are not like our Mistress, a living spirit being, a child of the Creator. We are Dwimmery."

"We are not a citizen of any polity of Men or Daine, for the lines of thaumic force that imbue All That Is is our home. We abide by our Terms of Service, and we serve with honor and distinction! We are ... content ... in the happiest service of our lovely and graceful Mistress, she of the ebony wings, she of the sable hair!" The Inter Face looks rather pleased with its explanation.

:wat: I hope you understood that, sir? Box explained it all to me before, but this kind of dwimmery is beyond me! Trees and wood, earth and stone -- those I understand! Imps and lines of force is all wizard talk to me -- tis much like philosophy!

Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

eldin raigmore wrote:Spacecabdriver: Oh, wow! Uh, hi, guys. We were just introducing ourselves. My name's Spacecabdriver.
The male, with intricately braided hair, doesn't take his eyes off Spacecabdriver and Canash as he asks the woman "What are the demons talking about?" He wears a long, sleeveless gambeson with hardened leather scales sown to the face of the brightly coloured fabric. Both his biceps are symmetrically marred by several rings of scar tissue, each band formed from paired rows of small dots.
The woman irritably pulls her own heavily tattooed arm from his grip. "Magic?" she mutters back. "How am I supposed to know?" She pushes her dreadlocked hair from face, revealing more tattooing around the jaw, and ties it behind her neck with one of its own strands.
"You're the witch..."
"And apparently not a very good one since I was caught by you! Now, shut up, I'm trying to listen."
"Shouldn't we be trying to get out of here?"
"We?" she scoffs. "Maybe if you'd shut up, we might be able to find out where here is!" The male's mouth closes with an almost audible snap and the woman returns her attention to the conversation.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

P'xwth looks at the man and woman and shakes her head in disgust. "Is your husband being unruly?" she says to the woman. "I could deal with him for you, if you would like."
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Argenzu, while communicating with his people via his laptop (which has turned on its cooling fans because a simulation is running in the background), hears P'xwth talking to the new guests.
Micamo wrote:P'xwth looks at the man and woman and shakes her head in disgust. "Is your husband being unruly?" she says to the woman. "I could deal with him for you, if you would like."
Girl, I don't think those two are married - or living together - they smell not like each other.

You two, where are you from?
edlin raigmore wrote:Can you tell me about your devices? And your species and your culture and your job? I hope I don't seem too nosy.
Because the Spacecabdriver and Canash are still talking, Argenzu opens a text editor and types in the answers into his laptop - in Latin, which he hopes the Spacecabdriver understands.
translated SimpleText window contence wrote: I hope you understand humble Latin, still an important language for scholars on my planet.
You're not overly curious at all - curiosity brought my species to the point where we can travel to space, and now also, as it seems, through time.
My species has its origin on a planet inhabited by humans, but we as a sentient, creating people are on a different planet, brought there through human action.
As you see, I am a rodent - the humans' space crafts' data call us 'chinchilla', but we call ourselves 'verromani', at least in my native Buonavallese.

There are many different cultures where I come from and I don't know where to begin.

This device is my personal computer, powered by two PowerPC G4 RISC processors, subherb graphics and good storage - and the batteries last for eight hours with a full charge!

The red box over yonder is the first attempt to travel through space and time. It looks small, but it's bigger on the inside.

I, Argenzu Montéis, have no employment, but I study Buonavallese and Wilandish.
Argenzu turns his laptop to the Spacecabdriver and continues listening to the two strangers arguing with each other.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

egerius wrote:Because the Spacecabdriver and Canash are still talking, Argenzu opens a text editor and types in the answers into his laptop - in Latin, which he hopes the Spacecabdriver understands.
Well, I can actually understand some basic Latin, the girl fron Kun-Jan says
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ànradh wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:Spacecabdriver: Oh, wow! Uh, hi, guys. We were just introducing ourselves. My name's Spacecabdriver.
The male, with intricately braided hair, doesn't take his eyes off Spacecabdriver and Canash as he asks the woman "What are the demons talking about?" He wears a long, sleeveless gambeson with hardened leather scales sown to the face of the brightly coloured fabric. Both his biceps are symmetrically marred by several rings of scar tissue, each band formed from paired rows of small dots.
The woman irritably pulls her own heavily tattooed arm from his grip. "Magic?" she mutters back. "How am I supposed to know?" She pushes her dreadlocked hair from face, revealing more tattooing around the jaw, and ties it behind her neck with one of its own strands.

"You're the witch..."
"And apparently not a very good one since I was caught by you! Now, shut up, I'm trying to listen."
"Shouldn't we be trying to get out of here?"
"We?" she scoffs. "Maybe if you'd shut up, we might be able to find out where here is!" The male's mouth closes with an almost audible snap and the woman returns her attention to the conversation.
[O.o] Canash stands up to full height, which, admittedly, is not very far: What is it with everyone thinking I'm a demon!? Anyway, you two should talk about dwimmery -- you just popped right out of that deadfella's lich and made him disappear! Canny. Wait. Are you Zedata's guardian daimons? You argue like daimons, anyway... Which one of you is the noble and which the mean?

Here is Auntimoany; leastways when I came in here to day it was! But I think none of us are really where we were before, if you take my meaning. Anyway, if it's out you want, the door is there... she indicates with a flick of her left wing; eyes still on the dwimcrafty daimons Right will take you back to King Street and the wharves; left is the weavers suq. But you two don't seem the kind who are interested in baskets and hempen goods...

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Egerius wrote:
translated SimpleText window contence wrote: I hope you understand humble Latin, still an important language for scholars on my planet.
You're not overly curious at all - curiosity brought my species to the point where we can travel to space, and now also, as it seems, through time.
My species has its origin on a planet inhabited by humans, but we as a sentient, creating people are on a different planet, brought there through human action.
As you see, I am a rodent - the humans' space crafts' data call us 'chinchilla', but we call ourselves 'verromani', at least in my native Buonavallese.

There are many different cultures where I come from and I don't know where to begin.

This device is my personal computer, powered by two PowerPC G4 RISC processors, subherb graphics and good storage - and the batteries last for eight hours with a full charge!

The red box over yonder is the first attempt to travel through space and time. It looks small, but it's bigger on the inside.

I, Argenzu Montéis, have no employment, but I study Buonavallese and Wilandish.
Argenzu turns his laptop to the Spacecabdriver and continues listening to the two strangers arguing with each other.
I'm sorry, but I can't make head or tail of the runes in your crystal. Can your box not speak? Because when you speak Buonavallese, the sound of it reminds me of the Rumeliards.

Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

elemtilas wrote:I'm sorry, but I can't make head or tail of the runes in your crystal. Can your box not speak? Because when you speak Buonavallese, the sound of it reminds me of the Rumeliards.
Runes?! That's all Roman letters. Runes have been used by the Goths... my Gothic peoples a long time ago, until they converted to monotheism and some guy called Ulfilas created his own alphabet to write his version of the Megalobiblión. They still use their Gothic letters, at least those Goths on the continent.

Speaking... Hm, this thing has speech-synthesis built-in, just let me select the text.
But, I tell you, this is not speech from a living thing, my laptop is just converting the letters into sounds that happen to sound like speech, because it has the instructions how to do it loaded in its artificial memory.

Argenzu selects the text, presses the command key, clicks and selects the speech synthesis function from a context menu.
The laptop makes sounds recognizable as speech, which is also translated by the "red TARDIS" outside the building.

(After the text has been read:) Canash, who's the Rumeliards you spoke of?
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Micamo wrote:P'xwth looks at the man and woman and shakes her head in disgust. "Is your husband being unruly?" she says to the woman. "I could deal with him for you, if you would like."
The man's scowls. "Husband? To her?"
She walks slowly over to him, exaggerating the sway of her hips. "Oh, what's wrong, Heartlander?" she croons. "Don't like uncouth 'barbarian' witches?"
"Or rebels."
Egerius wrote:Girl, I don't think those two are married - or living together - they smell not like each other.

She spins on her heel to address P'xwth and Argenzu. "I appreciate the offer, but this in-comer can't harm me."
"Managed to catch you though..." he mutters.
"I'm Rowan" she says, ignoring the man completely "and I'm from the coast. He isn't, but try telling his people that."
elemtilas wrote: [O.o] Canash stands up to full height, which, admittedly, is not very far: What is it with everyone thinking I'm a demon!? Anyway, you two should talk about dwimmery -- you just popped right out of that deadfella's lich and made him disappear! Canny. Wait. Are you Zedata's guardian daimons? You argue like daimons, anyway... Which one of you is the noble and which the mean?
Rowan frowns. "Uh... But you don't look human..."
"I'd be the noble one though, but I don't know a Zedata."
"Shut up, in-comer."
"See? She's the mean one."
"Shut up, in-comer." He looks entirely too pleased with himself... She turns back to Canash. "Where are we?"
elemtilas wrote:Here is Auntimoany; leastways when I came in here to day it was! But I think none of us are really where we were before, if you take my meaning. Anyway, if it's out you want, the door is there... she indicates with a flick of her left wing; eyes still on the dwimcrafty daimons Right will take you back to King Street and the wharves; left is the weavers suq. But you two don't seem the kind who are interested in baskets and hempen goods...
Rowan frowns again. "I don't know where these places are. I was on my home when the Heartlander-"
"I have a name."
"... when the Heartlander tried to arrest me."
"And I had good cause to, witch!"
She rounds on him "Your people have plenty of witches of your own."
"No, we have priests!"
She spits at his feet and he darts backwards with a snarl. "They're witches. Shut up!" She turns her back on him again. "The moment he grabbed me, I ended up here, in a room smelling of death surrounded by non-humans... You're telling me that none of you are demons?"
"Maybe this Zedata was a demon. It sounds like a demon name." She scowls at him, but it's a good point.
"Yeah. Maybe."
Spoiler:
To halt any confusion, I'm working under the assumption that people from my universe are being cycled through dimensions by some unknown mechanism and that they have no control over this; Zedata's act wouldn't let it admit this though.

I'm also being a little circumspect about names so far, because I haven't actually settled on the diachronics between Khætta and whatever the steppes heart-lander's language and Rowan's language end up being named. Rowan's name is direct translation into English though, so that seems to work. Not sure what to do with the guy, yet... Might just make him passive-aggressively dub himself Heartlander for the time being.
As for Zedata, its name comes from Khætta, which is a long dead language; it's a bit of a demon in-joke.
In any case, their political situation has been summed up in my conworld thread, for anyone wondering about the high levels of animosity between them.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

The man's scowls. "Husband? To her?"
She sniggers and walks slowly over to him, exaggerating the sway of her hips. "Oh, what's wrong, Heartlander?" she croons. "Don't like uncouth 'barbarian' witches?"
"Or rebels."
Egerius wrote:Girl, I don't think those two are married - or living together - they smell not like each other.

She spins on her heel to address P'xwth and Argenzu. "I appreciate the offer, but this in-comer can't harm me."
"Managed to catch you though..." he mutters.
"I'm Rowan" she says, ignoring the man completely "and I'm from the coast. He isn't, but try telling his people that."
elemtilas wrote: [O.o] Canash stands up to full height, which, admittedly, is not very far: What is it with everyone thinking I'm a demon!? Anyway, you two should talk about dwimmery -- you just popped right out of that deadfella's lich and made him disappear! Canny. Wait. Are you Zedata's guardian daimons? You argue like daimons, anyway... Which one of you is the noble and which the mean?
Rowan frowns. "Uh... But you don't look human..."
"I'd be the noble one though, but I don't know a Zedata."
"Shut up, in-comer."
"See? She's the mean one."
"Shut up, in-comer." He looks entirely too pleased with himself... She turns back to Canash. "Where are we?"
elemtilas wrote:Here is Auntimoany; leastways when I came in here to day it was! But I think none of us are really where we were before, if you take my meaning. Anyway, if it's out you want, the door is there... she indicates with a flick of her left wing; eyes still on the dwimcrafty daimons Right will take you back to King Street and the wharves; left is the weavers suq. But you two don't seem the kind who are interested in baskets and hempen goods...
Rowan frowns again. "I don't know where these places are. I was on my way home when the Heartlander-"
"I have a name."
"... when the Heartlander tried to arrest me."
"And I had good cause to, witch!"
She rounds on him "Your people have plenty of witches of your own."
"No, we have priests!"
She spits at his feet and he darts backwards with a snarl. "They're witches. Shut up!" She turns her back on him again. "The moment he grabbed me, I ended up here, in a room smelling of death surrounded by non-humans... You're telling me that none of you are demons?"
"Maybe this Zedata was a demon. It sounds like a demon name." She scowls at him, but it's a good point.
"Yeah. Maybe."
Spoiler:
To halt any confusion, I'm working under the assumption that people from my universe are being cycled through dimensions by some unknown mechanism and that they have no control over this; Zedata's act wouldn't let it admit this though.

I'm also being a little circumspect about names so far, because I haven't actually settled on the diachronics between Khætta and whatever the steppes heart-lander's language and Rowan's language end up being named. Rowan's name is direct translation into English though, so that seems to work. Not sure what to do with the guy, yet... Might just make him passive-aggressively dub himself Heartlander for the time being.
As for Zedata, its name comes from Khætta, which is a long dead language; it's a bit of a demon in-joke.
In any case, their political situation has been summed up in my conworld thread, for anyone wondering about the high levels of animosity between them.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

The Bartender marches back into the Inn through a back door you could swear wasn’t there a minute ago. He carries a steamy pot of some stew. Anyone hungry? - he asks rhetorically as he starts to produce plates from underneath the bar, put the stew in them and hand it out to the guests.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Egerius wrote:
elemtilas wrote:I'm sorry, but I can't make head or tail of the runes in your crystal. Can your box not speak? Because when you speak Buonavallese, the sound of it reminds me of the Rumeliards.
Runes?! That's all Roman letters. Runes have been used by the Goths... my Gothic peoples a long time ago, until they converted to monotheism and some guy called Ulfilas created his own alphabet to write his version of the Megalobiblión. They still use their Gothic letters, at least those Goths on the continent.

Speaking... Hm, this thing has speech-synthesis built-in, just let me select the text.
But, I tell you, this is not speech from a living thing, my laptop is just converting the letters into sounds that happen to sound like speech, because it has the instructions how to do it loaded in its artificial memory.

Argenzu selects the text, presses the command key, clicks and selects the speech synthesis function from a context menu.
The laptop makes sounds recognizable as speech, which is also translated by the "red TARDIS" outside the building.

(After the text has been read:) Canash, who's the Rumeliards you spoke of?
Yes, the words from your box remind me ever so slightly of the speech of the Rûmen -- the Rumeliards; but I hear them sometimes in Avantimannish, then sometimes in my native language. But I suppose we'd have no hope of understanding each other if it were not so!

I like the sound of that curious word -- shinshilliyas -- in our ancient tongue, a word very like that means to chant in sing-song voice, like the way children recite rhymes. As for your box, I still can't figure out where the salamanders go! You say your bat trees live only eight hours; but how will they destill more djus again if the salamanders can't soak up the sunlight? That's why folks here put the bat trees way up high above their houses, so the salamanders can sun themselves.

Let me think. These Rûmen are descendants of a wolf-woman. Or maybe a werewolf? I'm not sure. There were two of them: Rumos was one and he had a brother Remelius. After some time, they had a war between their peoples and the Remelians sent the Rûmen away, and it was them that came into the Eastlands.

Tell me about your runes. Are they at all like ours? What is a "letter"? -- is that not a message sent by post? Is each one the sign of a simple or a broad sound? Or maybe a whole word? Do you order them in any particular way?

We Daine order the runes this way. First come the singing sounds, from our throats to our lips; then the sounds that make the throat dance; then the sounds that tickle the nose; then the sounds that rest quietly after the dance of speech: since ancient times order was something like I E A O U W B L D LL DD J Y G R ? M MB N ND NG NGG V Z ZH ZD HW P Þ T TT CH HY K HR Q H F S. Men, of course, have so little aesthetic sense and have reordered every rune according to some magical incantation: W Œ M B L Ô NG AW / G A Z P R I T S / WR Ê F E Q U N D / HW Æ HH ? Y EO K UW / H EU CG V EY TH  RZH. You can see they have some runes we don't use in our own writing. Is that the case with your writings as well?

Here, I'll show you what the runes look like. This a picture of an old Yule card:
Spoiler: