The Plains of Áánene

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Plains of Áánene

Post by DesEsseintes »

gestaltist wrote:Loved the story!
alynnidalar wrote:That was extremely enjoyable.
Frislander wrote:Love the stories on the thread so far!
Thanks a lot, guys. You make me want to continue writing. [:D]
gestaltist wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote: Hopefully, it won't take me 7 months to write the next instalment.
Took you only 4.
I think that if you count again, it actually took me six. [:$]
protondonor
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by protondonor »

DesEsseintes wrote:Eþíínehoh

þéíþıłłbınóówo

the Eestéweıþþtsıkóónoo, the Fonołtosítsstsınííntseheh, the Séínıłtonıhéénoo, the Onóóweınetseızellchíþþte
The Híí languages have an amazing aesthetic. Cool stories, too, and a great window into the culture.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

A short snippet to see if I can get this started again...

The Scribe

The silent halls of Gowón’no have been my home for many a year, and as I wander through their meandering tunnels, I realise that I have become as shadowy and silent as they. At times I warm myself by thinking that I was special, that I was chosen, to ward off pointless dreams of the things that were denied me. Never again will I feel the warmth of a feather blanket during an autumn night out on the plains; never again feel the thrill of the hunt, the delights of fresh noombird meat eaten around the campfire; never again hear the laughter of children (they could have been my children!) practicing their archery skills on hapless reptiles and rodents.

No, fooling myself that I am special offers little comfort. Better to seek oblivion in my work, the sacred task. Countless hours I have spent bent over the scriptures we guard, copying out text after text to preserve the histories and knowledge of the ancients. Not that I, or any of us, understand much of it. The Great Feathered Ones, the Headless Wars, the Shattered Age... Eons reduced to nothing but meaningless words in a mouldy manuscript scrutinised by an old woman with failing eyesight.

But the Mothers sternly remind us of the oaths we have taken, and of our duty to the Feathered Sun that one day shall return. I no longer believe in any eternal reward, but at times I catch myself looking over the endless plain, far below, daydreaming of that glorious day when a different Sun will rise and the world will be born anew. And, though it costs me a tear to admit it, I see myself, young again, running and laughing under the boundless sky.
Last edited by DesEsseintes on 16 Aug 2018 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Sufficiently emo: I approve.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Is it a witch speaking?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

DesEsseintes wrote: 16 Aug 2018 19:00 A short snippet to see if I can get this started again...
Yay! Good to see you working on this again! It's been too long.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Gestaltist’s recent post in his conworld thread gave me the idea to post about my world from a different perspective.

The Letter

Year 476, Cycle 12, Day 6
Academy of Ssae-O

Dear Mother,

I pray this missive finds you and Father in good health, and I hope that you forgive your unfilial son for failing to write for such a long time. I keep all your letters by my study desk, and I read them often.

I have been very much occupied with my studies and am now receiving tutelage directly from Grand Master Ul Ccul-Mae of the Faculty of Geometrics. Oh, how I revere him and his boundless knowledge! Too many are the wonders of the teachings of that great sage for me to recount here, Mother, but I am learning much about the nature of the orb we inhabit and the great Sea of Night it floats in.

However, I have better news still. I am both excited and honoured to tell you that I have been chosen to join an expedition to the vast Highlands! As you know, the discovery of the rift passages has revolutionised our understanding of the world in the last few decades, and it is imperative that the people of Ssae-O take a leading role in the exploration of the new lands. I shall be joining an envoy of the government of Ssae-O, including experts in all fields political, military and economic. Of course I am only a junior member of the expedition, but I will be one of two geometricians charged with using the very latest technology developed by Grand Master Ul Ccul-Mae to determine the spatial coordinates of the Highlands and other such information as may aid in our exploration in decades to become.

Nevertheless, as I write this, it saddens me to think that reading these lines may cause you anguish. We shall face many unknowns on this voyage, but do know that much work is being done gathering information from the Nz Naa traders that have explored and mapped the rifts. From them we have intelligence on the strange and savage people that inhabit the Great Plains of the Highlands, and the complexities of their customs, politics and religions, so very different from ours. Also know that I will be in the company of some of Ssae-O’s finest scholars, experts and military veterans.

If our expedition is successful, I will be rewarded handsomely. I may even get permission to give lectures at the Academy about our findings. I know it is vain of me, but I must confess that such prospects excite me greatly. I daresay I might be able to afford to invite you and Father to come live with me in the capital. The city has changed so much in the three decades since you had to flee, and it would be a cause of great happiness to me if I could reintroduce you to the city you told me so much about in childhood.

Please read this letter to Father and assure him that I have not been remiss in my studies. I know how hard he worked to offer me the opportunities that were denied him, and it would cause me great pain to disappoint him. I pray he may think of me with pride one day.

I shall write again once the date has been set for the expedition. In the meantime, please look after your health.

Your devoted son,
E-Za
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote: 15 Jun 2019 17:02 Gestaltist’s recent post in his conworld thread gave me the idea to post about my world from a different perspective.
If I’m that inspiring, perhaps I shall increase my posting frequency to twice a year. ;)

On a more serious note, I am intrigued by this snippet, and I’d like to know more about this culture.

Year 476, Cycle 12, Day 6
Could you tell us a bit about their calendar?