Tales from Rodentèrra

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: Tales from Rodentèrra

Post by Egerius »

elemtilas wrote:Well, naturally, gifts of shiny and lustrous silver and copper and even gold (for preference in the form of rings for neck and wrists and knees and ankles), beautifully and cunningly worked are always appreciated by any Daine! And although she can't read the letters on her spiffy certificate, she does wonder at how similar are the words in this "Gothic" tongue to her own native language. Fralétan -- she got that one straight off! Qeins, yep, that's a girl! Vestmarka, yep, that's Westmarche!
It's all bars of 256 grams (gold), 512 grams (silver) and 1,024 grams (copper), as established in the early 13th century (≈ 400 AD) by the senate of the Buonavallese Empire (female slaves and male slaves were paid the same price for convenience).
Egerius wrote:I forgot what colour these robes were,
elemtilas wrote:Grey! :roll:
Didn't know that (can you link to that or is it written in the Corography?).
Edit: Right, Cash is colourblind – silly me.
One can only hope these "robes" are actual raccas and not leisure suits!
Spoiler:
Canash would nòt be amused! :mrred:
All ritual clothing looked more like those and these.
I would actually be interested to hear about what they came up with!
I'd like to know, too... [:$]
What was in the book apart from the colour table? And how might she use said table?
Well... The colour table makes it easier for her to get things in the colour she wants so that things fit together for visitors (for example).
The book is mostly an empty notebook (20 x 32 cm), but in the back, two page-filling diagrams of IPA characters inside the drawing of a mouth can be found (well, it can be useful to know how others pronounce something), various alphabets (Latin, Laconian/Western Greek, Gothic, Cyrillic, all in various styles, with diacritics and Rodentèrran IPA transcriptions — so that Canash can deduce the pronunciation of the Gothic in that liberation document, for example).
Keep us updated on Argenzu's adventures!
[:D]
Last edited by Egerius on 29 Jun 2016 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Egerius wrote:
elemtilas wrote:Well, naturally, gifts of shiny and lustrous silver and copper and even gold (for preference in the form of rings for neck and wrists and knees and ankles), beautifully and cunningly worked are always appreciated by any Daine! And although she can't read the letters on her spiffy certificate, she does wonder at how similar are the words in this "Gothic" tongue to her own native language. Fralétan -- she got that one straight off! Qeins, yep, that's a girl! Vestmarka, yep, that's Westmarche!
It's all bars of 256 grams (gold), 512 grams (silver) and 1,024 grams (copper), as established in the early 13th century (≈ 400 AD) by the senate of the Buonavallese Empire (female slaves and male slaves were paid the same price for convenience).
Ah, I see. Well, such things can always be wrought into shiny rings and chains and other bits of endazzlement! The gold and silversmiths among the Daine of the East are certainly the most skilled of any at the present time.
Egerius wrote:I forgot what colour these robes were,
elemtilas wrote:Grey! :roll:
Didn't know that (can you link to that or is it written in the Corography?).[/quote]

I don't think this disparity of colour vision is mentioned there. I think I mentioned it somewhere here, though. Will sift the archives and see if I can find out what I did say.

Mind you, that's simply the "colour" that Canash will interpret the robes as being -- not necessarily the colour that Argenzu sees and describes to her! Daine clothing, such as it is, tends to be rather muted, with natural hues of green, tan, brown and russet predominating. Any patterns stitched or dyed in tend to be of leaves & interwoven twigs, swirls and swooshes of a paisley persuasion.
One can only hope these "robes" are actual raccas and not leisure suits!
All ritual clothing looked more like those and these.
Very nice indeed! I am certain that Canash will find a suitably stylish way in which to wear these things. Also, she would be quite enamoured of that fellow's headdress in the center of the first picture. That will probably be copied by a silversmith of the City before long!
What was in the book apart from the colour table? And how might she use said table?
Well... The colour table makes it easier for her to get things in the colour she wants so that things fit together for visitors (for example).
The book is mostly an empty notebook (20 x 32 cm), but in the back, two page-filling diagrams of IPA characters inside the drawing of a mouth can be found (well, it can be useful to know how others pronounce something), various alphabets (Latin, Laconian/Western Greek, Gothic, Cyrillic, all in various styles, with diacritics and Rodentèrran IPA transcriptions — so that Canash can deduce the pronunciation of the Gothic in that liberation document, for example).
Ah, very good. There will certainly be wise among the Daine who appreciate the Buonevallese art of placing letters within a map of the mouth. After all, the traditional order of letters / syllabics in Daine writing follows a logical procession of points of articulation.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Time to try out something new: If you have questions, I will try to answer them in the guise of an inhabitant of Rodentèrra. If I haven't worked out something, I'll let you know and hypothesize a bit on that.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

From another Rodentèrran textbook about Wínlandish – this one is originally written in Buonavallese:

“There were five distinct dialect areas of Old Wínlandisc. In the north, the Nurthelkish dialect was spoken. In the midland regions, there were Séðolkish (Western Midlands) and Éssellish (Eastern Midlands); and in the south Ósguþisc and Wisterguþisc were spoken. During the height of the unified Wínlandisc kingdoms, Wisterguþisc became a written supra-regional standard. The conventions of writing in the dialect of the Wíncaster-centred kingdom were used, to a greater or lesser degree, even long after the Norbescan invasion in 2154.

These five dialects, of which the northern and Midlands-varieties were closely related, have been traditionally assigned to five of eight kingdoms, which have partly coalesced by the time of the earliest Wínlandisc writings. These early writings are mainly from the Nurthelkish region, later overrun by Alanic Vends. The dominant dialect of legal record, e.g. deeds, then became Séðolkish, while Ésellish was used for religion-related texts, such as glosses and translations of the gospels.

Even later, in the mid 20th century, Séðolk was defended and unified with Wisterguþ by Leofric the Brave, who saved the whole south and the western Midlands from further invasions.
Thus Wisterguþisc became the dominant dialect of written communication, and even part of a campaign of education, promoting the vernacular as language of the gospels and country-wide communication — on the other side of the Cumber river, the language was influenced by the invaders' Allanic dialects and seldom used for the written word (where Latin was used, instead).

Peace between North and South was maintained, with occasional interruptions, and even a federative state was reached until the decay of the dynasties at the end of the 21st century, which culminated in the invasion of Saselvan-speaking Verrumans in the mid-2100s, lead by Henry the Banisher (later called ‘the Victor’).

At the end of the 24th century, language change lead to an eventual end of understanding Old Wínlandisc, as a handwritten note testifies: ‘Hoc librum inter aliis cumtinet sermones et rebus altris in lingua yncognita. Veteris dicunt quid est Winlandico ydioma, sed non sunt certos’, i.e. ‘This book, among others contains sermons and other things in an unknown language. The Elder say that it is Wínlandisc, but they are not sure’.”
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

[info] A description of Rodentèrra:
Rodentèrra, the world of rodents, came to light on December 26, 2013 as an idea that lingered in my mind for a few months — it was first named on September 14, 2014.
November 16, 2011 — Rodentèrra Creation Day — is only a pro forma gesture, as the Buonavallese language (back then simply known as Romanz) first appeared in datable notes on that day. And as the language needed a place, and the world was slowly conceived, this date was extended to encompass all subsequent creations linked to the language of the Ladroman people.

Originally, Rodentèrra was meant to be a planet with multiple fully-sentient species, each major language group being spoken by a different species. This plan was abandoned in favour of a more diverse setting in terms of sentience, rather than multiple human-like species.
Speaking of humans, or indeed primates in general, there are none native to Rodentèrra: The native fauna reaches up to marsupial mammals and the now (partly) sentient placentals were brought to Rodentèrra by spacecraft over four million years ago, in the year 2193 AD: These include canines, aves and felines as the less-sapient species and chinchillas as the most human-like species to receive the crown from the humans.
One less pointed out feature is the closeness to Earthly history, and a slightly parodistic approach – at times, anthropo-critical.

The current geographical makeup consists of two continents, Taèna (corresponding to Europe) and Magellania (corresponding to America); neither continent has been visualised on a map.

From a political point of view, Magellania is the home of the Magellanian Confederate States, in part a former colony of the Wínlandisc Kingdom, nowadays a melting pot of ethnicities and the last stop of diasporas from all over the world. There is also a native population, previously decimated, but now celebrated.

Taèna is divided between many different ethnicities into different countries.
The first one to appear was the Ladroman Republic (encompassing the whole western peninsula), along with Saselvania (in the North-East) and the Republic of Argemont (in the South-East) – with Romance languages as their official languages.
These languages descend from the Vulgar Latin spoken in the areas — Latin remained the official language until the early modern era, and, in the Latin League, it still is used today.

To the North-East of Saselvania lies the Alanic Kingdom, a constitutional monarchy, which shares its borders with the Federal Republic Taulkenland in the south.
These two countries can trace back their official languages to Gothic — and so do the two kingdoms of Wínland and Nurthelk, situated on an island, Wínland, far west of Saselvania. These countries also have a union: The Gothic League.

Wínland is neighboured by four islands inhabited by speakers of Celtic languages, which originally come from what is now Saselvania and the west of Wínland – these Celtic tongues are descendants of Calatean, a language virtually identical with our extinct Gaulish.

Going back to the mainland, and going even further east, we find Slavic languages, and Slavic countries: The People's Republic of Gniezdania is one of them. And their language, as those of the neighbours further in the south-east and north-east, is derived from Old Church Slavonic, which is still used in international communication within the Slavic Union.
To the East of the Gniezdanian border, we find the Ruthian Federation, the (more or less) liberal-democratic successor to the Ruthian Federative Communist Soviet Republic (RFCSR), a part of the Union of Communist Soviet Republics (UCSR) until fairly recently.
These folks speak Ruthian, also a descendant of OCS, and they have their own alphabet, which is derived from the Laconian alphabet.

In the south, there is Laconia, inhabited by speakers of Doric Greek. These gave Taèna its name and they were the earliest people of modern culture in that region.

As Rodentèrra still offers many opportunities to be flashed out, there is even more to discover in the next years than just the places and nations mentioned above!
Edit: Added 2016–08–23: Ruthian Federation
Added 2016-12-04: The Calatean language, unnamed descendants
Added 2017-31-05: The island of Vifernia and the Vifernian Republic – where the fictional school of the Henry Portman series is located!
Last edited by Egerius on 31 May 2017 00:04, edited 3 times in total.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I very much enjoyed this writeup, Egerius.

Question: why are descendants of human languages spoken by the chinchilla - and more specifically - why descendants of *various* languages? Wouldn't the first group that gained sentience have spoken a single language?
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Well, it all was a unified language — PIE, programmed into the AI of the androids which took care of the placentals that landed in Taèna. Later the Rodentèrran version of PIE split up — according to the pattern known from Earth. The evolution and acquisition of sentience took four million years, 90,000 years saw further developments leading to language acquisition and sophisticated tools (while the androids retreat into different parts of Rodentèrra because they were programmed to do so. Evidence for this is found in the Megalobiblión).

The remaining 6,000 years lead up to the late antiquity (because this is where I started working on Rodentèrra).
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Is there any sasquatch in Rodentèrra? He's probably an alien anyway.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

If the Sasquatch exists, it's likely a placental mammal. So no, there is none. But kangaroos are everywhere warm enough. And thylacines, valuable companions to all sentient species.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

An Ode to my Lost Tales

From the first days I remember until today, there are stories which have fallen away.
Drawings and pictures I possess no more and tales I have no mind for.
Another such tale is the book I planned to write, but the things that came weren't right.
Two other, one set today – to which I say “it may, it may”, I don't have a lot of ideas, which I draw from school-years.
The last speaks from the past, of which I know not much and view as such: A thing in between today and yesterday.
These two tales are not yet gone, two tales which I'm still working on.
Another is of four reptile-men, who are joined by a rodent then.

A special case is Rodentèrra, it changed from an island on Earth to planet with its present day in a familiar era.
Of two and more great species remained one, a long journey has begun:
A journey that shall never end — building a world with a pen in my hand.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

About Ladroman Schooling

In the Ladroman Republic, education begins at the age of 6, with one year of pre-school (lu hòrtu delis infántes). This is compulsory, as it is a chance to detect undiscovered learning difficulties or developmental delays, in combination with frequent visits to a paediatric from infancy on.
Kindergarden (from the age of 3) isn't compulsory, but advised, especially so for immigrants and families of lesser wealth.

In the year a child turns seven, it is sent to elementary school on the first Monday of the tenth month (that is, in autumn – Rodentèrra has sixteen months, of which none have names at the moment). Five years later, secondary education is in, and this means that the child has to visit a new, bigger school. Here, the child will be able to pursue his or her interests in additional courses. Calligraphy courses, however, are compulsory from third grade to tenth as part of art classes, alternating with music from school year to school year.

After finishing eleven years of education (pre-school included), the student may choose to continue his/her academic education with three years of A-levels (la maturitáde), or the student can enter an apprenticeship (which typically is three years long, sometimes longer).

If the student has done his/her A-levels and pursues an academic path, a Bachelor's degree (four years/eight semesters) and, if necessary, a Master's degree (three years, six semesters) at a university will be the student's path to knowledge.
After that, the student, now an adult, may choose to work in higher fields or study hard for a doctor's degree, doing an exam after two years of research and writing the dissertation.

Apprenticeships consist of a theoretical part (four days of the week in the first year of the apprenticeship, three days of the week thereafter) and a practical part (the remaining days of a working week [five days in total]).
The theoretical part is taught in a technical college, much like in a regular classroom.

The curriculum of Ladroman schooling is quite uniform throughout the republic, differing only slightly in social science classes, as education lies at the hands of the state. The little differences throughout the country-wide curriculum are administered by the regions' branches of the Ministry of Education.

Schooling finances are partly a matter of the state (50%), partly a matter of the region (40%) and, at the lowest level, partly supported by the cities themselves (10%).

University students have to pay a fee per semester (about 250–350 denari), but there is no tuition cost.
There are also stipends and a student loan. The latter is paid off by an extra tax (2,5%, of one's income) and a set rate with no interest, until either 60% of the student loan is paid off or the sum of 12,000 denarii is reached.
Repayment begins four years after a students' completion of the degree in which he/she applied for the student loan.
————
This text is incomplete. Updates will be issued as soon as I see fit.
Edit: Expanded 2017–04–24
Now including financial aspects of education, university fees, a paragraph on apprenticeships.
Last edited by Egerius on 24 Apr 2017 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

On Taxes

On March 21, 2017, I came up with a value-added tax model in the Ladroman Republic.

There are two different amounts of VAT, which the normal Ladroman citizen sees when shopping in the super market: 8% (for food and environmentally friendly products, like e-books and recyclable goods) and 20% (for everything else, including non-recycled paper, petrol, cars, computers).

This VAT is included in the price printed on the tag. So if a shirt costs 24,99 denari, this is what you pay at the cash register (unlike, as I have been told, in the USA).

For bills and receipts, it is required that the VAT is printed separately from the total price (much like in Germany).
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Egerius wrote:On Taxes

On March 21, 2017, I came up with a value-added tax model in the Ladroman Republic.
Sensible. So long as there's no additional income tax on top of that! Otherwise, we're taxed out the wazoo here. They've been toying with the idea of VAT here in the US for a while, but nothing ever seems to come of it.
There are two different amounts of VAT, which the normal Ladroman citizen sees when shopping in the super market: 8% (for food and environmentally friendly products, like e-books and recyclable goods) and 20% (for everything else, including non-recycled paper, petrol, cars, computers).
Sales tax in the USA is also multi-tiered. Some goods, like foods, are not taxed at all; ordinary consumer goods are taxed at a state a/o local rate; some luxury items (like cars and deathsticks) are taxed differently.

If I recall correctly, precious metals are not taxed in some jurisdictions.
This VAT is included in the price printed on the tag. So if a shirt costs 24,99 denari, this is what you pay at the cash register (unlike, as I have been told, in the USA).
Also sensible. I never saw any reason nòt to include the tax on the price sticker.
For bills and receipts, it is required that the VAT is printed separately from the total price (much like in Germany).
So, how big of a yacht does the governor get with a 20p/c VAT?
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

elemtilas wrote:
Egerius wrote:On March 21, 2017, I came up with a value-added tax model in the Ladroman Republic.
Sensible. So long as there's no additional income tax on top of that! Otherwise, we're taxed out the wazoo here. They've been toying with the idea of VAT here in the US for a while, but nothing ever seems to come of it.
A VAT instead of a capricious state sales tax would be lovely. American logic would assume that Europeans (and Scandinavians?! -- bend over, grab your ankles and think of Copenhagen) would slaver at what Americans pay in taxes. But whenever I see a microphone shoved into the face of a European (or Scandinavian) on the subject, they seem more than happy to pay for the services rendered. America's dilapidated infrastructure is in the press again. I would gladly pay out toward efforts to level frost heaves and potholes.
elemtilas wrote:
Egerius wrote:There are two different amounts of VAT, which the normal Ladroman citizen sees when shopping in the super market: 8% (for food and environmentally friendly products, like e-books and recyclable goods) and 20% (for everything else, including non-recycled paper, petrol, cars, computers).
Sales tax in the USA is also multi-tiered. Some goods, like foods, are not taxed at all; ordinary consumer goods are taxed at a state a/o local rate; some luxury items (like cars and deathsticks) are taxed differently.
When I worked in the magical world of retail in Massachusetts (with the moniker "Taxachusetts"), processed or prepared foods were taxed, while food food was not. IOW, you'd be taxed for a bag chips/crisps, or what you ordered at a restaurant, but not for an actual potato. That works for me. Taxing people on the basic staples of life (food and water) just doesn't seem, well, very sporting. I think there were weird taxing things about types of clothing, too, that I just don't remember. New Hampshire, where I did the high school years, didn't (and, I believe, still doesn't) have a state sales tax. You wanna buy a car or computer and live close enough to the border, go to NH. (Lots of Massachusetts residents (known as "flatlanders") go north for their Christmas shopping). A VAT, as I understand what a VAT is, would eliminate some of this ridiculousness.
elemtilas wrote:
Egerius wrote:This VAT is included in the price printed on the tag. So if a shirt costs 24,99 denari, this is what you pay at the cash register (unlike, as I have been told, in the USA).
Also sensible. I never saw any reason nòt to include the tax on the price sticker.
In Massachusetts as an example, if you have a dollar in your pocket, find something for US$1.00 and suddenly find you owe $1.07 at the register, this is the very bane of existence. But hey, you are well aware that you have been taxed. Invisible taxation would be onerous. An extra line on the price tag (indicating the tax) plus the final price at the register wouldn't faze me in the slightest.
Just so.

I fear I may have crossed the no cross/no crown line here, for which I beg forgiveness.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Lao Kou wrote:I fear I may have crossed the no cross/no crown line here, for which I beg forgiveness.
As far as I see it, you shifted the line for illustrative purposes. I don't see a problem.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Part of the reason that sales tax in the US is tacked on might be the fact that different states and counties tack on different rates. The pricing in one area might be more than the pricing in some area.

Also, what's "no cross/no crown"? I have a feeling it has little to do with William Penn.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

qwed117 wrote:Part of the reason that sales tax in the US is tacked on might be the fact that different states and counties tack on different rates. The pricing in one area might be more than the pricing in some area.
Could be. But one would think that some places would print the actual cost while others might not.

What is of interest is that petrol prices always include the tax. You don't even know what the actual price of gas in any given jurisdiction...well I had a look. Local price is about $2.349 / gal (4 litres) --- (pronounced "two thirty-four nine"). State tax turns out to be 0.270 and federal tax is 0.184. Real gas price, then, is actually $1.886 per gal.

Oh, yes. Gasoline is the only commodity in the US priced to the mil, rather than the cent. (A mil is 1/1000 of dollar, though we've never had a mil coin.) Back in the day, before credit cards were commonplace and everyone was paying cash, sòmeone was making loads of money off all those mils no one could ever get back in change...tens of thousands of dollars a day nationwide.
Also, what's "no cross/no crown"? I have a feeling it has little to do with William Penn.
NCNC means discussion of actual political and religious belief / practice are frowned upon. The second NC (no crown) is regularly violated hereabouts, and no one seems to take much notice. No Cross I think has never been violated that I've seen. The above, at least in my opinion, was about as far away from the proverbial red line as one can get and still be within visual range of it!

Any such discussions should be engaged in with the utmost of caution and respect for all parties. They regularly devolve into flame wars and are best avoided in communities of this sort, unless there's a special sub-forum set up specifically for such discussions.

I'd frankly lòve to see a third Section (down below the Other Languages Section) where a couple forums on real world political and religious DISCUSSION could take place.

To get back on topic more, tell us more about taxation (with or without representation) in Rodentèrra. Who pays, who's exempt, etc.!

This is a topic that I've never really though about in any depth in The World. I suspect it won't be much like any modern Western scheme of taxation.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

qwed117 wrote:Part of the reason that sales tax in the US is tacked on might be the fact that different states and counties tack on different rates. The pricing in one area might be more than the pricing in some area.
Hence, capricious.
More of a thing over on the Conlang Mailing List than here, certainly. When I was raised -- in the Jurassic, we learned that bringing up religion (the cross) or politics (the crown) was a faux pas in benign dinner/cocktail party conversation. Since people hold on rather tightly and fervently to their perspectives on these topics, it could quite often lead to unseemly frothing-at-the-mouth, knock-down-drag-out arguments (known on the Internet as flamewars), without an especial enlightenment of views. So you should enjoy the aspic and remark on the weather.

And I fear, the tales from Rodentèrra have been thus derailed.
Spoiler:
elemtilas wrote:NCNC means discussion of actual political and religious belief / practice are frowned upon. The second NC (no crown) is regularly violated hereabouts, and no one seems to take much notice. No Cross I think has never been violated that I've seen.
Some discussions on atheism may have been before your time.
elemtilas wrote:Any such discussions should be engaged in with the utmost of caution and respect for all parties. They regularly devolve into flame wars and are best avoided in communities of this sort, unless there's a special sub-forum set up specifically for such discussions.

I'd frankly lòve to see a third Section (down below the Other Languages Section) where a couple forums on real world political and religious DISCUSSION could take place.
Perhaps, if that meant an actual exchange of ideas. "Let a hundred flowers blossom and a hundred schools of thought contend." is marvy if it remains civil.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lao Kou wrote:And I fear, the tales from Rodentèrra have been thus derailed.
Well, let's get her back on track and chugging along toot sweet!
Perhaps, if that meant an actual exchange of ideas. "Let a hundred flowers blossom and a hundred schools of thought contend." is marvy if it remains civil.
Well, yes. That would be rather both the point and, if not vigilantly attended to, the downfall.

I'd still love to see such a beast in the wild...

Wasn't aware of earlier confabs re Atheism. I'm sure that was before my relatively recent alightenment within this Abode of Wonder and Delight!
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

elemtilas wrote:toot sweet!
A fun song in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and a bilingual play on words that I didn't get until, like, just now! Facepalm -- durrr! [:x] [:$]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名