Architectural inspiration

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Architectural inspiration

Post by Micamo »

You know what bothers me? Whenever I look for artistic inspiration for conworld architecture I always find things that are either crazy novelties (ooh, light fixtures that look like awkward pipes on the ceiling!) or are beautiful but overly modernistic (wood, glass, and big-screen TV's everywhere!). What's everyone's favorite fantasy-style, fictional architecture?

In the interests of bandwidth, it would be appreciated if images are kept in links rather than directly embedded in the posts.

Here's mine.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Re: Architectural inspiration

Post by Ossicone »

When I was a kid I was a huge Dinotopia fan (the movie was terrible!). Looking back now, it seems to be mainly European Classical inspired but not always.

I like a lot of the architecture coming out of the Middle East now. It's amazing what you can do if you just throw money at something. There is also a tradition of geometrical patterns that I love.

I'm happy to see a break from the square. I can't remember any of the names now to look up the pictures though. When I worked at the library, I often was in charge of the architecture and design books we sent to other school. I absolutely loved going through them.

I'm a sucker for some nice wood and glass though.

What I don't like -- Gothic, Rococo.

I see that you are asking for fantasy or fiction but whatever... :roll:
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Don't get me wrong, the new stuff is good, but like I said everything new conforms to an existing architectural style (mostly modernistic but you may get the occasional rustic-style place). I don't think I've ever seen a designer attempt to invent something original outside of those really weird, abstract designs.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 »

I like a variety of architectural styles, and I shall point to a few buildings (or complexes) that I love:
Chan Chan
Puuc Architecture
Persepolis
As for ornamental styles (I love ornate buildings):
Pacific Northwest Coast Art (I am studying it right now in the book Learning by Doing)
Andean Art(no link, but I love what I saw in The Stone and the Thread)
Maya Calligraphy (Famsi apparently is down...)
Islamic Calligraphy (Especially Ottoman styles)
Igbo Uli Art
Aperiodic Tilings
And Finally, my favorite and if I may brilliant material:
Poured Earth
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Since more or less all of my concultures are directly inspired by and heavily influenced by real world cultures, I guess getting ideas for architecture is a pretty simple task; if I have a conculture that's similar to, say, Ming dynasty China, I search for Ming dynasty architecture. It gets harder when a conculture is inspired by more than one real world culture, but the same process still applies.

However, I do have some styles that I particularly am fond of. One of them is a blending of Middle Eastern, Oriental, and Mediterranean architecture, which is best exemplified here: here.

Other architectural styles I like include:
The Alhambra
Byzantine Interiors (Hagia Sophia Here)
Greek Housing
Tuscan Housing
Silk Road

And so forth. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm very fond of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern architecture in general.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
KiKi Tampusa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by KiKi Tampusa »

I'm for a combo of Monticello and Neuwschwanstein Castle.
What are Klingon speakers doing? They are engaging in intellectually stimulating language play. They are enjoying themselves for languages sake, art for art’s sakes. And like all committed artists, they will do their thing, critics be damned.
Arika Okrent
Relic
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Relic »

well when I think of a fantasy architecture type i like to think of something that looks ancient in real life and then i try to refine it in my head, like underwater cities that have been found somewhere in Asia, I think of old buildings like that and think of something like atlantis renewed (that's the sort of architecture I'm going for, for my species, yet to be named :P) one that i've always thought of its a roman type of architecture but underwater and made of coral like materials. :D