Something I've been thinking about

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Tanni
greek
greek

Re: Something I've been thinking about

Post by Tanni »

Micamo wrote:Put yourself in the shoes of one of your conpeople and take this scenario:

You are approached by a stranger who says something to you in your native language. However, from their accent, clothes, and mannerisms, it's obvious that it is not their native language and you immediately recognize where they are from. You just so happen to be fluent in their native tongue. Do you...

A. Continue speaking to them in your own language.

or

B. Switch to their native language.

How would your conculture, in general, respond to this?
Most of the Catys are fluent in several languages. As Catys heavily use command band communication (ultrasonic sound), they could get a hint on the native language of another Caty at least in some cases long before they would see each other. Otherwise, since Catys don't wear cloths and since the colour of the fur and other features doesn't allow any conclusion about a certain linguistic background in many cases, that situation will occure only seldomly.

If there are other Catys, who also speak the language used, the addressee will most likely keep that language. It would not be polite or courteous to the other members of his flight group to without necessity use a foreign language probably not known to at least some of them. This could cause mistrust, for it would seem as if the both of them would have a secret. Only if the visitor would speek the language very badly, the addressee would offer him in the currently used language to switch to the visitor's native tongue.

If they're alone, the addressee would probably switch to what he thinks is the native tongue of the visitor after some sentences. The other will follow, if he is willed to go on in that language. Or the addressee would ask explicitely to use that other tongue, especially if he realizes that the other one has a bad command of the language used. Then, it's up to the visitor in which language the conversation is continued.

But there can be some deviance from that, cause they are all individuals and depending on the situation or their intent.
My neurochemistry has fucked my impulse control, now I'm diagnosed OOD = oppositional opinion disorder, one of the most deadly diseases in totalitarian states, but can be cured in the free world.