Adia Pedia - Worldbuilding Project

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Adia Pedia - Worldbuilding Project

Post by rajavlitra »

(original thread)

Rajavlitra here. It's been a while since I entered the CBB (again). I figured returning here to talk about Adiaproject (again).

The time between my last post (March 2015) and today (Feb 2016) is pretty long, being busy with other things (with Adia among them) and whatnot. Within that span of time, Adia has considerably changed in both setting and plans, so I'm here kind of reintroducing the project here in the CBB, and talking about it's current state.

History

I originally posted about Adia in February 2015 on the CBB (thread link above). Taking from the old thread, Adia was supposed to be a personal Alternate-History project, a thought experiment, and also a creative outlet/experiment ("hmmm, what would happen if I combine X aesthetics and X culture?"). The original setting was a mix between a Futuristic/Postmodern one and a Colonial/Age of Discovery one. I fell silent after that, focusing instead on other things (I was still developing the basics of the world back then).

Major changes commenced after my immersion (and subsequent inspiration) to a lot of sources (like novels, video games, speculative evolution, futuristic art among others). The full-on transition of Adia's from Earth into a conworld and an introduction of fantastic elements [if you could call it that] into the said conworld. I created two wikis (a sandbox and a main one) and created a world map as a point of reference in my worldbuilding, while developing religions, cultures and artwork for the project. It was going well and plans are underway (I was also doing a bigger world map that includes the other continents). However, just last month, I lost my Flash Drive, containing all of my personal files (including most of Adia-related information that I might not retrieve ever again). This led to a large backlog of unsaved information, and pretty much what might be Adia as a whole. I was nervous (and distraught) about the whole event and what it means for Adia.

Today, I'm restarting it again with an altered setting and focus.

The New Project/Setting
Instead of making Adia a personal worldbuilding project, I decided it become an open-world, collaborative one (because it's fun developing things with other people). The setting is still there, along with some changes. The setting will be the primary basis of the other fundamental parts of the world (maps, languages and whatnot). I envision this new Adia as distinguished from similar projects, with artwork, pictures and designs that gives it a more aesthetic, visual and explainable view of the setting and the project. It's also a creative outlet and an exercise in politics, culture and philosophy.

So what's the starting setting? Adia is still an earth-like, human-populated planet, albeit a bit larger and technologically advanced than ours. Set in a postmodern setting filled with fantastical elements (counting off magic), Adia's civilizations seem similar to our Earth at first look, but are fundamentally different from each other. There are unusual evolutions that might have not happened in Earth, technological innovations that never gone popular in ours, with their own languages, writing systems, religions, customs, politics and issues. Same as the original, there's also an age of exploration and early colonization among major cultures. Also there are Airships, because it's awesome.

Plans
rajavlitra wrote: I mostly envision Adia as a thought experiment. Not much leaning on a very realistic one (the idea's pretty much overdone). I plan to make something that felt like reading through those travel magazines, books, or encyclopedias we read when we were little kids who can't read while trying to make sense of those by making some backstory on the pictures. That's what I am doing for Adia.
I'm also thinking of a new map (after losing the old one), if that's something. Oh, and the links for the (undeveloped) Wiki and its sandbox counterpart are below.

So, anyway, hello again, CBB. Looking forward to be here again.

Main Wiki | Sandbox Wiki

EDIT: Check these awesome stuff out
Last edited by rajavlitra on 09 Oct 2016 09:34, edited 2 times in total.
If anyone has asked what I tend to draw on my pc, it's mountains. Fucking mountains. (dA | tumblr)

rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Adia - Worldbuilding Project

Post by rajavlitra »

If anyone has asked what I tend to draw on my pc, it's mountains. Fucking mountains. (dA | tumblr)

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I want to take part in :)
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rajavlitra »

k1234567890y wrote:I want to take part in :)
Oh, cool.

You got any questions?

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

There are magic-like things, right? what kind of magic-like things do they possess? are there some people that are ageless and immortal, that is, people that don't grow old after a certain age and don't die of natural causes?

Also, can some groups of people from other worlds?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rajavlitra »

k1234567890y wrote:There are magic-like things, right? what kind of magic-like things do they possess? are there some people that are ageless and immortal, that is, people that don't grow old after a certain age and don't die of natural causes?

Q1: If you're talking about fantasy magic, no. Sorry. This veers more on realism. However you can interpret weird natural occurrences as magic though. Whatever it may.

Q2: At this point? Now quite yet. Space colonization and whatnot is feasible but not str8 up contact from ayyliens.

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

rajavlitra wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:There are magic-like things, right? what kind of magic-like things do they possess? are there some people that are ageless and immortal, that is, people that don't grow old after a certain age and don't die of natural causes?

Q1: If you're talking about fantasy magic, no. Sorry. This veers more on realism. However you can interpret weird natural occurrences as magic though. Whatever it may.

Q2: At this point? Now quite yet. Space colonization and whatnot is feasible but not str8 up contact from ayyliens.
ok thank you for answering :) so what they have is advanced technologies that may look like magic rather than true magics?

by Q2 I mean other human being groups being accidentally transferred to Adia by some spatio-temporal tunnels like wormholes, probably thousands years ago.
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rajavlitra »

k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:

ok thank you for answering :) so what they have is advanced technologies that may look like magic rather than true magics?

by Q2 I mean other human being groups being accidentally transferred to Adia by some spatio-temporal tunnels like wormholes, probably thousands years ago.
Q1: If that's how you want to see it, go ahead.

Q2: Ohhh. No. They're all native.

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

rajavlitra wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:

ok :)

which lands can I claim? :)
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rajavlitra »

k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:

There's no map. Yet.

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

rajavlitra wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:

There's no map. Yet.
ok :) can I start to do some works now?
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rajavlitra »

k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
rajavlitra wrote:

There's no map. Yet.
ok :) can I start to do some works now?
How about we get more people interested first? That would be a better idea. You can posit your ideas up on the wiki as well, since it needs more meat.

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

rajavlitra wrote: How about we get more people interested first? That would be a better idea. You can posit your ideas up on the wiki as well, since it needs more meat.
nice idea :)

btw, I am thinking a group of people who are all-females that reproduce by using iPS cells...
Snïk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Snïk »

Can I join, I've always wanted to join a project like this one. [:D]
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rajavlitra »

Snïk wrote:Can I join, I've always wanted to join a project like this one. [:D]
Hey, it's open for everyone. Why not?

YourFace
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by YourFace »

Ayy me too
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rajavlitra »

YourFace wrote:Ayy me too
Hop on the wiki.

YourFace
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by YourFace »

There's not much on the wiki :P
What should we do in the meantime?
rajavlitra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rajavlitra »

Probably the same as how Teles jump started lol

But seriously we need a new map

Like a really big one

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

rajavlitra wrote:Probably the same as how Teles jump started lol

But seriously we need a new map

Like a really big one
should I make the map for you?