Alyrica - On the Measurement of Time and Other Topics

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Alyrica - On the Measurement of Time and Other Topics

Post by Ilaeriu »

Alyrica

Alyrica (alyri God + -ica land, territory of, AENTOUI CORICI; adjective form Alyrici) is the name of my conworld in the prevailing language. Other names include Kkarkaua (place that was created, AENTOUI AKKALLENT), and Tala.

I'll add up features of Alyrica (e.g. races, lands, etc.) every now and again.

Time

I really put up this thread to share my time system, which is a bit different than our Terran system.

The Alyrici sky is filled with four groups of celestial bodies, or alakji. All traverse the sky at a constant speed, which means they complete revolutions at regular intervals. This, along with the regular pulsing of some alakji, forms the basis of the Alyrici time system. From smallest to largest time intervals:

A huiie-ui lasts four Terran seconds. Small lights called Stars flicker or pulse in the sky at three second intervals.

An lunai-ui lasts three Terran minutes. There are Ribbons of various shapes and sizes undulate in the sky reflecting light of the other alakji; they change colors, starting at one end and slowly moving down to the end. It takes three minutes for any given ribbon to change color. The next color change is random, and no pattern as of yet has been found by Alyrican scientists.

An annule-ui lasts four hours. A large white arc or Ring in the sky stretching from one end of the horizon to the other rotates, completing a full revolution in four hours.

A nilama-ui or Alyrici day generally lasts for 16 hours. An extremely bright Jewel travels across the path of the Ring. Jewelrise to Jewelset lasts eight hours, and the night lasts for generally the same time, thus causing their days to be only 16 hours.

A huiie-na lasts for six Alyrici days; the time it takes for any Star to return to its position in the sky. This is generally measured by a cluster of particularly bright stars called the Constellation.

A lunai-na lasts for 42 days; the Ribbons move across the sky at a slightly slower speed than the Ring spins. This causes the Ring to eclipse any given Ribbon after 42 days.* This is usually measured by a particularly large Ribbon that's shaped like a Yizda (type of dragon).

An annule-na lasts for 888 days; the Ring undergoes a complex shape change cycle that lasts 888 days. It's best explained in picture:
Spoiler:
I know it's pretty crude, but it works. It's from a side view, by the way.
Alyrici summer is when the arc is nearly full and full, and Alyrici winter is when the arc is almost non-existent and completely non-existent. Thus, their season pattern is summer-spring-fall-winter-fall-spring-summer. The Ring is full for about one day in the summer, and the Ring is entirely absent for about one day in the winter.

A nilama-na lasts for ???... (I'm still gonna fill this in, not too sure about it yet.)

A llentun lasts for 1480 lunai-na. It is a standard calendrical epoch, measured by a special alakji that is ordinarily only half-visible for most of its cycle. As it approaches the northern end of Alyrica, it's brightness and opacity grows until it transits the peak of Mt. Annotun, when it begins fading once more until the next 1480 lunai-na.

*I can't seem to work out the math to figure out the exact speed the Ribbons move across the sky to achieve this - if anyone can figure it out, or at least explain to me how to do it, it'd be great thanks! :D

So... what do you guys think :D I think it's pretty original, although the Jewel is a bit too sun-esque that I might take it out, leaving the Ring as the brightest object in the day sky. I'll also give in universe names to the alakji in time, instead of just 'Ring' or 'Ribbons'. :P
Last edited by Ilaeriu on 30 Dec 2010 04:20, edited 2 times in total.

(in order of proficiency from greatest to least)
Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Alyrica - On the Measurement of Time and Other Topics

Post by Micamo »

A-lyrica? The land of purely instrumental music? ;p
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

Micamo wrote:A-lyrica? The land of purely instrumental music? ;p
I was never in band or music of any kind, so I'm just going to nod and pretend I know what you're talking about.

-nods and laughs-

EDIT: OHHH WAIT.... I get it... A-lyric.... as in not-lyric.... CLEVER.

Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
intermundi
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by intermundi »

Ilaeriu wrote:A lunai-na lasts for 42 days; the Ribbons move across the sky at a slightly slower speed than the Ring spins. This causes the Ring to eclipse any given Ribbon after 42 days.* This is usually measured by a particularly large Ribbon that's shaped like a Yizda (type of dragon).

*I can't seem to work out the math to figure out the exact speed the Ribbons move across the sky to achieve this - if anyone can figure it out, or at least explain to me how to do it, it'd be great thanks! :D
The period should be about 1.4 minutes longer. (assuming 42 Alyrici days)
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

intermundi wrote:
Ilaeriu wrote:A lunai-na lasts for 42 days; the Ribbons move across the sky at a slightly slower speed than the Ring spins. This causes the Ring to eclipse any given Ribbon after 42 days.* This is usually measured by a particularly large Ribbon that's shaped like a Yizda (type of dragon).

The period should be about 1.4 minutes longer. (assuming 42 Alyrici days)
Oh okay, thanks!

Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 »

Your calendar and time measurements seam well thought out and I think they are superb.
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Post by Ilaeriu »

Yačay256 wrote:Your calendar and time measurements seam well thought out and I think they are superb.
Thanks ^.^ I'm gonna post more on the division of the calendar year into months and seasons and such soon.