Military Animals in Concultures?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Military Animals in Concultures?

Post by Micamo »

Agyon learn how to fly before they learn how to transform, does that count?

Also, a not-fully-worked-out evolution of the Acoi, the Wirani, has a similar... bonding with animals!
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

The feayr never developed animal domestication at all, really; no reason to train dogs when your kids can do double duty.

The Talambrians are fond of using gryphon slaves as mounts in combat (I add "slaves" because Domhantirian gryphons are sapient). I haven't explicitly developed it yet, but I have plans for a large hyena-like species to be used in the Sradan sahara.
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Micamo wrote:Agyon learn how to fly before they learn how to transform, does that count?

Also, a not-fully-worked-out evolution of the Acoi, the Wirani, has a similar... bonding with animals!
I guess the Agyon would count in this case again... :-s

So what do you mean by "bonding with animals"? Because it sounds kind of shady to me for some reason...
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

cybrxkhan wrote:So what do you mean by "bonding with animals"? Because it sounds kind of shady to me for some reason...
The Acoi believe in a sort of "animism." The spirits of the animals control various things about the world. My favorite example is how they believe ducks control male sexuality. Have erectile dysfunction? You must have done something to piss off the ducks. Feed them and take care of them for a while and maybe they'll help you out!

The Wirani, after breaking off and developing their culture independently from the other clans, sortof... extend this principle, giving certain animals even higher status than humans in their society. You could say they let the animals domesticate THEM.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Relic
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Relic »

in the species I am developing the embryotic stage acts somewhat like a vehicle as it is a starfish like base with a stem holding the actual embryo if that coutns :P

also when I get them into a more modern setting I plan on using other fictional creatures that I make up from the planet as their companions, however with how its going along right now they sort of how a highly adaptive nature, which changes there DNA and even passes it on to their next generations (their asexual so this was a way for me to make diversity in their genes) and it almost replicates an idea from warhammer 40k's kroot creatures, who create more animal like forms of themselves to use as transportation and hounds, perhaps my species will go with this as well.
one idea I currently have for this situation though is them using a creature that looks much like a mix between a horseshoe crab and a manta ray which they could use on land and over water quickly 8-)
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Micamo wrote: The Acoi believe in a sort of "animism." The spirits of the animals control various things about the world. My favorite example is how they believe ducks control male sexuality. Have erectile dysfunction? You must have done something to piss off the ducks. Feed them and take care of them for a while and maybe they'll help you out!

The Wirani, after breaking off and developing their culture independently from the other clans, sortof... extend this principle, giving certain animals even higher status than humans in their society. You could say they let the animals domesticate THEM.
I really, really, really like this idea A LOT. :mrgreen: I mean compared to a lot of other conculture ideas, though I can't think of an exact real world equivalent, this idea seems pretty believable but fun all the while. I suppose there are a lot of similar real world equivalents, like "animism" as you stated. And, actually, I'd think that most cultures in the world have something similar to this anyways, but on a lesser scale, and usually its just something simpler like "Animal A = lucky/clean/blessed" and "Animal B = unlucky/dirty/cursed", and the examples of cows in India and black cats in the Western world come to mind.

Having animals considered to be higher status than humans also isn't a new concept in real world cultures, certainly (the cows in India as stated above, and another example I can think of is the veneration of the sacred bull in Egypt), but it is something interesting nevertheless. :mrgreen:
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce