Climate zones map

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Davush
greek
greek

Climate zones map

Post by Davush »

I have a map which I have been working on for a while. It has been slow progress, but I am trying to get down the main climate areas. I don't have the patience or inclination to work out all the prevailing winds and high/low pressure areas, so I'm going for more of just a general idea. I'd like to know if any climate area look completely out of place.

I'm unsure of the inland area in the North between the desert and Laurentian (the part which is coloured grey). Would this be cold desert/steppe? I'm also unsure of the zones along the mountainous East and West coasts. I put desert along the West coast, but I don't know if desert in such a thin strip of land next to a mountain would occur? Would Savannah go straight to a Maritime West zone? The greenish coloured zones next to the mediterranean areas are what I imagine would be kind of Balkan-type climates, but I may be wrong.

Any comments/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Edit: I have realised some issues with the map (talking only about the Western continent for now) The long mountain range along the East coast would attract precipitation as the north-easterly winds hit it. This would mean most of that interior part would become desert, as it's in a massive rain-shadow? The wind blowing across to the Western mountain range would already by dry, so I would expect to see little precipitation on the Western side of the continent, even though there are mountains? I imagine this would also mean the rivers in the interior would be fewer. I might have to move the mountains more inland to even it up.

In the northern part of the continent, there is a large flat plains area at around 30-50 latitude. Would this have a dry, Kazakhstan style climate as the wind blows across until it reaches the mountain range?

Map:
Spoiler:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Climate zones map

Post by Lambuzhao »

Compare with this climatic map of China -

http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-medi ... DFC68E.gif

The Northern region in question could be humid continental (warm summer). I would think it might be not unlike the Pine Barrens of NJ, or the Holly & Pine forests of the Southeastern US coast.

I don't know if your :con: world has conifers or holly trees, but leaves that developed more of a waxy cuticle to prevent water loss in the drier/saltier air, while also protecting against humidity issues (mold, fungus, rot). On the other hand, depending on the hydrology of that region, it might be more like a bayou/cypress/mangrove environment. So many factors to consider!

In the southern continent, the region seems to abut the colder regions more closely. Maybe a humid continental (cool summer)/cooler temperate region?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I like your map mate, it looks like kind you see on a globe or a textbook.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

...or in the "Ecosystems and Biomes" section of a Field Guide or 'Animal Ecyclopedia'.

Image Image Image

[+1]
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

Lambuzhao wrote:Compare with this climatic map of China -

http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-medi ... DFC68E.gif

The Northern region in question could be humid continental (warm summer). I would think it might be not unlike the Pine Barrens of NJ, or the Holly & Pine forests of the Southeastern US coast.

I don't know if your :con: world has conifers or holly trees, but leaves that developed more of a waxy cuticle to prevent water loss in the drier/saltier air, while also protecting against humidity issues (mold, fungus, rot). On the other hand, depending on the hydrology of that region, it might be more like a bayou/cypress/mangrove environment. So many factors to consider!

In the southern continent, the region seems to abut the colder regions more closely. Maybe a humid continental (cool summer)/cooler temperate region?
I basically imagine it to be an alternate earth, just with different landmasses, so all the same flora and fauna would exist (given the right conditions). I suppose I will have to figure out winds etc. to determine if areas are hit by arid or humid air. I might eventually get round to it, but it seems there are so many variables I end up getting confused.
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

After thinking about it, and getting some help, I have come up with a basic climate map (very rough around the edges, but gives a basic overview for now). I think it seems quite naturalistic. I might move/add a few mountain areas and islands at some point. I feel like I can think of the different regions better now I know how the climates work.

I want to create one 'mega language family', so I am still deciding where the urheimat should be.