Nonwah

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ducklord the Great
rupestrian
rupestrian

Nonwah

Post by Ducklord the Great »

My conworld is the continent of Nonwah. It is essentially Earth, so no magic, supernatural creatures, etc. Their technological levels are similar to Medieval Eurasia. There are several different nations and cultures. Those include Kanurida and Zinyememeh, both of which I have created somewhat rough but working languages for. Kanurida is located in the fertile Southeast, approximately the same climate as Southeast Asia. Like Medieval Europe, their culture de-emphasizes human achievement. The Gods are seen as the ultimate authority, with human efforts being futile unless they will things to change. There is an underlying sense that change will occur in the future; In their religion all hardship will eventually be replaced with greatness and success. A major virtue is willingness to offer others sanctuary. Warriors are seen as noble, but less so than priests. These values come mainly from their long history of persecution.

Some history of Kanurida (BY and AY refer to years before and after the god Yabha came to humanity and taught many core values of Yabhism):
The city of Senadi was founded in the year 645 BY by Sfotun refugees from the Kanilad Wars. For 5 centuries, it was ruled by various other foreign empires. In the first century BY, Senadi rebelled from the Jehinad empire. Unlike most rebel cities, this one was able to survive, likely due to the ongoing Jehinad-Zubadoki war. Senadi formed an independent city-state, with a distinct culture from its oppressors. They spoke the language of Old Kanuridan, a Sfotunic language, and practiced a faith very similar to that of the Nekon empire. The city remained independent for two hundred years, only taking over the area just around it. 
        In 134 AY, the city was conquered by the NaHuli empire. Under Hulian rule, the Kanuridans were persecuted, and their religion was banned in favor of the new Yabhism. For 136 years, they lived under Hulian rule. 
         In 270 AY, the Kanuridans rebelled again, conquering a fair amount of territory and spreading their culture. This state, the Bodizena Dynasty, lasted until 539. During that period, Kanuridan culture expanded greatly. The old religion fell out of favor, as more and more people converted to Yabhism.
         In 403, Emperor Dek'uowadi declared Yabhism to be the state religion. The Zalinadanor, or Temple of the Holy One, was built in Senadi. New styles of art were developed, working off of older Southeast traditions. Architecture developed into a new style, characterized by layered arches, scooped roofs, and two-capital columns. 
        In 539, the state collapsed into a myriad of smaller independent countries after a disastrous power struggle.

Suggestions, comments, etc? I have more stuff that I will continue to post.
My conworld is Nonwah, viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6186
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Nonwah

Post by Lambuzhao »

Pictures!

Sketches, drawings, photoshoppings/MS-Paintovers? What've you got?
Each one is guaranteed to be worth a 1,000 words in most languages.
[;)]

Chiefest among these, a map would come in handy, and be otherwise bombad. [:)]
Really, a few maps will be really great, displaying Nonwah's political and/or religious settings at various historical points.
[;)]
Ducklord the Great
rupestrian
rupestrian

I have a very rough map, but have been unable to post it here. I am working on making more maps, including the types you suggested. Thanks!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ducklord the Great wrote:I have a very rough map, but have been unable to post it here. I am working on making more maps, including the types you suggested. Thanks!
Yay, we love maps!

As far as I know, you can't directly post images to CBB. You'd need to host them elsewhere (like DeviantArt or Photo Bucket) and post the link here.
Ducklord the Great
rupestrian
rupestrian

Here is an incredibly rough map of Southern Nonwah: http://sta.sh/01iozzra3nxj
It's not great, but it should help you visualize the geography while I work on better ones.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Nice! What's the red line on the map; the Equator?

Are there any geographical features that distinguish the boundaries between Kelperia, Nekon, Zubadok, Jenihod, and Kanurida?

Are the Gods Real, or are they sufficiently ambiguously mythological (such as Roman/Greek gods in classical times) that they just provide a polytheistic pantheon?

Are people monolatrous for Yabha, or are they just the chief of the pantheon, or something else entirely?

I think it would be useful if you did like I (and others) have, of linking to your conworld in your post signature. I sometimes find that useful to cross-reference what people are talking about in other threads.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Ducklord the Great
rupestrian
rupestrian

The red line is the equator, and I guess the top of the map is around 50 degrees north. There are no boundaries separating the four kingdoms in the earth Southeast (Kanurida, Nekon, Zubadoki, Jenihad), and those boundaries are constantly changing. This is just the map in 783 AY, with the subkingdoms not shown. Kelperia is more removed from them culturally, so there's probably some small Appalachian-level mountain range on its eastern border. The area north of the Southern Kingdoms is mostly desert, with some more steppe-like area allowing for some tribes. The desertification finished around 1000 BY, sparking the Kanilad Wars when nomadic tribes were forced together. The Sfotuns were one such tribe.

The gods are mythological.

Yabha is the only god they pray to per se, but they honor others. Zalinad, the creator of the universe, is honored but not prayed to, as he doesn't interfere. He watches all things and oversees the turning of time. The Kanuridans also added some native gods to the Yabhist pantheon, such as Nyedhajonam, whose name translates to "pure evil", and Itamvatik, "God of goodness". Those two are locked in a Zoroastrian-esque eternal battle for the fate of the universe. Offerings will be made to aid Itamvatik, but he doesn't answer any prayers.

Yabhism is really only practiced in the southeast. In Kelperia, it has some following in the eastern regions, but they mostly follow native beliefs.

Now, one of the more interesting nations in Nonwah is Zinyememeh, for which I will begin to post some information about their culture, history, and language.
Ducklord the Great
rupestrian
rupestrian

History of Zinyememeh

2000 BY- First evidence of Zinyeh presence in the Lwahi river valley. Tribes such as the Nwoyuh and Bwenyun are prominent, and a variety of Old Gwenyuh languages are spoken.

1793 BY- King Nyogamuznah unites the diverse peoples under a common culture. The diverse languages are standardized as Gwenyuh, and the worship of Nwy’wuhmuznah, the Great Light, becomes the official religion.

1699 BY- King Halyalya’nhe greatly improves life through reforms such as road building, as well as making Mememuznah, the great capital city.

1500-800 BY- Golden Age of Memehlyalya’en-hanyeh dynasty

800 BY- Great collapse of Lwahi region, various small kingdoms develop, small-scale fighting occurs

253 AY- Kelperian explorers discover Zinyememeh, leading to reunification

270-320- Wars occur between Kelperia and Nuavia over trade routes, Kelperia wins but is destabilized

320 Onward- Low levels of trade between Zinyememeh and the South, some cultural elements are spread
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Looks good so far!

Please do keep up with the work. Perhaps some time you can describe different peoples and their customs? Maybe tell some of their stories?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

elemtilas wrote:Looks good so far! Please do keep up with the work. Perhaps some time you can describe different peoples and their customs? Maybe tell some of their stories?

[+1]
Ducklord the Great
rupestrian
rupestrian

Sorry guys, I'm a little busy at the moment but I will definitely have lots of material out within a day or so. Thanks for all your help!