The CBB

Discuss constructed languages, cultures, worlds, related sciences and much more!
It is currently Sat 27 May 2017, 07:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec 2016, 07:36 
mayan
mayan

A non-technical "Rules of Mohegan Grammar"

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2016, 22:09 
mayan
mayan

A grammar of Lha'alua, an
Austronesian language of Taiwan
PDF

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec 2016, 22:15 
greek
greek

If there are obscure resources at my uni no longer or unprotected by copyright, I will see if I can scan them on request. I may learn something myself.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:41 
runic
runic

Thank you a lot Shemetov (:

btw, I got a list of human universals, it is claimed that all human cultures have the things listed in this list:

http://joelvelasco.net/teaching/2890/br ... ersals.pdf

You might claim that they are wrong, but I think at least it can be a good reference for making concultures for human ethnic groups.

It is calimed that all human cultures have all of these concepts and phenomena, well you may argue that something is lacking from some societies, I think if you want to make a realistic culture of human beings, you can try to contain all of them.

By government I guess it means "a way to make decision through the leaders of the society", maybe even the smallest communities need a leader to make final decisions sometimes although small societies, like bands and tribes, are often said to be more egalitarian and virtually everyone in those small societies have a chance to express their own opinions over an issue.

夢見るオンナノコ(Dreaming girls)
だれでもプリンセス(All of them are princesses)
恋するオンナノコ(Girls in love)
ホンキ!ムテキ!カンペキ!(Serious! Invincible! Perfect!)

PostPosted: Tue 14 Mar 2017, 19:41 
cuneiform
cuneiform

I found a cool web/android (/ios?) app for memorizing languages called Memrise. You can make your own lessons, including adding recording audio examples of words and phrases, and can split it into lesson blocks. This is a pretty cool tool for commiting your language to memory, or sharing with other people.

I already made one for my language, Salthan, and set it to public so you can search on the app on find it.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Mar 2017, 19:56 
mayan
mayan

Foolster41 wrote:
I found a cool web/android (/ios?) app for memorizing languages called Memrise. You can make your own lessons, including adding recording audio examples of words and phrases, and can split it into lesson blocks. This is a pretty cool tool for commiting your language to memory, or sharing with other people.

I already made one for my language, Salthan, and set it to public so you can search on the app on find it.

I can confirm that it is also available on iOS, as I have been using Memrise myself for quite some time.

It's also worth noting that while it's primarily meant for language learning, Memrise is also useful for memorizing other things, including academic subjects like geography and science. There are plenty of user-made courses for all sorts of languages and subjects, so you don't have to make your own (although I would recommend it for language vocab). The neat thing about Memrise is that it uses an algorithm that incorporates spaced repetition to determine which words you need the most review for and show you those words more frequently until you have them memorized.

:jpn: - A1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Mar 2017, 20:35 
greek
greek

GrandPiano wrote:
Foolster41 wrote:

I can confirm that it is also available on iOS, as I have been using Memrise myself for quite some time.

It's also worth noting that while it's primarily meant for language learning, Memrise is also useful for memorizing other things, including academic subjects like geography and science. There are plenty of user-made courses for all sorts of languages and subjects, so you don't have to make your own (although I would recommend it for language vocab). The neat thing about Memrise is that it uses an algorithm that incorporates spaced repetition to determine which words you need the most review for and show you those words more frequently until you have them memorized.

Indeed. I started using it to learn Japanese a couple of years ago. It worked wonders for learning the kana, but as soon as it went into vocab, I very quickly found myself just recognising the shapes of the phrases it was giving me, and not actually learning what they meant or how they were formed. Good for list data, terrible for actual understanding. It has its place and it sits in said place very well, but that place isn't very big.

"You can't say there wasn't a big bang because you can f***ing see it!" — Prof. Brian Cox

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar 2017, 23:38 
mayan
mayan

OTʜᴇB wrote:
I very quickly found myself just recognising the shapes of the phrases it was giving me, and not actually learning what they meant or how they were formed.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure how "recognizing the shapes" differs from normal reading comprehension, or what exactly you mean by "how they were formed".

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar 2017, 13:50 
greek
greek

GrandPiano wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:
I very quickly found myself just recognising the shapes of the phrases it was giving me, and not actually learning what they meant or how they were formed.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure how "recognizing the shapes" differs from normal reading comprehension, or what exactly you mean by "how they were formed".

As in I stopped learning them by recognising the words and the grammar, but instead by recognising a pattern, such as number of characters or the first few that were unique to that phrase in the lesson. I didn't learn how to ask for someone's name, I just recognised what "what is your name?" looked like just enough to get the right answer. That info would have been worse than useless when actually trying to read or write, let alone speak.

"You can't say there wasn't a big bang because you can f***ing see it!" — Prof. Brian Cox

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar 2017, 22:43 
mayan
mayan

OTʜᴇB wrote:
GrandPiano wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:

As in I stopped learning them by recognising the words and the grammar, but instead by recognising a pattern, such as number of characters or the first few that were unique to that phrase in the lesson. I didn't learn how to ask for someone's name, I just recognised what "what is your name?" looked like just enough to get the right answer. That info would have been worse than useless when actually trying to read or write, let alone speak.

It should eventually ask you to type it in yourself rather than choose from a set of options.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 14:09 
metal
metal

A couple of scholarly papers on the history of Romanian (of interest to romlangers):
http://journals.library.mun.ca/ojs/inde ... ue/view/89