Language practice thread

A forum dedicated to the studying of natural languages and for discussions in languages other than English.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Language practice thread

Post by Lambuzhao »

Lao Kou wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:...weil heute die einwöchigen Ferien meines besten Freundes angefangen hat.
haben :?:

Image [:)]
Voy a sobrevivir
I will survive
[+1]

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/KXVoMA5tChA/
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Lambuzhao wrote:
Voy a sobrevivir
[+1] http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/KXVoMA5tChA/
¡Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiijaa! [:D] ¡Tengo...que...bailar!
Spoiler:
Though it further confirms my contention that no Spanish song has ever been written, ever, without the word "corazón" in it. [B)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Lao Kou wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:
Voy a sobrevivir
[+1] http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/KXVoMA5tChA/
¡Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiijaa! [:D] ¡Tengo...que...bailar!
Spoiler:
Though it further confirms my contention that no Spanish song has ever been written, ever, without the word "corazón" in it. [B)]
[+1] A todo que está aquí escrito.
[+1] To everything that's written here.

Lao Kou wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:(I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds themselves making more mistakes when they're tired, but at the moment, I can't remember a time I've ever specifically asked someone about it. Oh, well, it doesn't matter.)
Spoiler:
Yeah, you had it right, up in the front with plural "die einwöchigen Ferien", but maybe all the gunk in between + fatigue derailed the final plural "haben". And no, it doesn't matter. [:)]
Spoiler:
Oh, I'm sorry! I certainly didn't mean to suggest I didn't appreciate the correction/that it didn't matter! [:$] I guess I was doing the internet equivalent of talking out loud to myself; I meant that it didn't matter if I had specifically brought up fatigue-related typos to people in real life before or not.

Aside from fatigue, I agree that the verb-final structure of subordinate clauses and the "distance" between haben and Ferien probably played a part in me failing to realize I had typed hat instead of haben. Additionally, I think I generally have a tendency to get a bit "tripped up" by nouns that are exclusively plural, especially if their equivalents/translations aren't that way in other languages. It didn't help that I was originally going to use Reise instead of Ferien. Not entirely sure why I changed my mind… Oh well.

Egerius wrote:Ed anch'io non l'ho!
And I don't have 'em, either!
Es tut mir leid, das zu hören. [:(]
I'm sorry to hear that.

(If you don't mind my asking (and it's totally fine if you do mind and don't want to answer), why don't you have any vacations?)
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

shimobaatar wrote:(If you don't mind my asking (and it's totally fine if you do mind and don't want to answer), why don't you have any vacations?)
Ancora il semestre non ha finito. Però sono solo tre settimane alla fine. :mrgreen:
The semester still hasn't ended. But it's only three weeks to the end. :mrgreen:
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Egerius wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:(If you don't mind my asking (and it's totally fine if you do mind and don't want to answer), why don't you have any vacations?)
Ancora il semestre non ha finito. Però sono solo tre settimane alla fine. :mrgreen:
The semester still hasn't ended. But it's only three weeks to the end. :mrgreen:

¡Ahh, lo siento! Creí que quisiste decir que no puedes ir de vacación nada. [O.O]
Ahh, sorry! I thought you meant that you weren't able to go on vacation ever.

Estoy alegre porque estuve incorrecto. Espero que tus tres semanas últimas no son muy difíciles o aburridas.
I'm glad I was wrong. I hope your last three weeks aren't very difficult or boring.
(she)
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

shimobaatar wrote:[
Edit: Estoy alegre porque no tenía razón en este caso. Espero que tus tres últimas semanas no sean muy difíciles ni aburridas.
I'm glad I was wrong. I hope your last three weeks aren't very difficult or boring
Spoiler:
At the end, I might've said espero que... no te aburran/fastidien tanto. I'd've leaned a little more to the verbal. But otherwise, a good effort. [:)]

¿Todo bien por ahí? Mi Hermana trabaja en el condado de Chester.
Is everything OK over your way? My sister works in Chester County.

(¡) Hoy ella vio un torbellino desde la ventana del cuarto piso de su oficina (!)

Today she saw a funnel from the fourth-floor window of her office.

Ella dijo que tomó fotos del torbellino.

She said she took pics of the funnel

:!:

Caray, pero ¿malos agüeros, o qué?
Yikes, Bad omens, or what?
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Lambuzhao wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:[
Edit: Estoy alegre porque no tenía razón en este caso. Espero que tus tres últimas semanas no sean muy difíciles ni aburridas.
I'm glad I was wrong. I hope your last three weeks aren't very difficult or boring
Spoiler:
At the end, I might've said espero que... no te aburran/fastidien tanto. I'd've leaned a little more to the verbal. But otherwise, a good effort. [:)]
Spoiler:
For "Estoy alegre porque", I've noticed that connecting verbs/clauses, using conjunctions, and the like haven't exactly been my strong suits in Spanish, for whatever reason, so I can't say I'm surprised this was wrong, but I quite appreciate the strikethrough nevertheless!

I don't mean to sound like I'm doubting you or anything, but why would últimas be placed before the noun?

Oh, I'd never heard ni before! It's delightful how many words in Spanish seem to have these "negative forms/counterparts" that I don't think I ever would have even thought of on my own (or at least I don't think I would have thought of the exact uses they have in Spanish). And I think tanto or something similar was the word I was trying to think of but ended up "substituting" muy for once I realized whatever word I wanted was taking quite a while to come to me.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help! [:D]
Lambuzhao wrote:¿Todo bien por ahí? Mi Hermana trabaja en el condado de Chester.
Is everything OK over your way? My sister works in Chester County.

(¡) Hoy ella vio un torbellino desde la ventana del cuarto piso de su oficina (!)

Today she saw a funnel from the fourth-floor window of her office.

Ella dijo que tomó fotos del torbellino.

She said she took pics of the funnel

:!:

Caray, pero ¿malos agüeros, o qué?
Yikes, Bad omens, or what?
¡Sí, gracias! Expliqué la mayoría de mi situación en el tema de conversación inglesa, porque sería difícil discutirlo para mí en un idioma otro. [:O]
Yes, thanks! I explained most of my situation in the English conversation thread, since it would be difficult for me to talk about in another language.

No vi el tornado personalmente, porque intenté evitar las ventanas de mi casa, pero los noticieros ciertamente hicieron la tormenta suena ominoso.
I didn't personally see the tornado, as I tried to avoid the windows of my house, but the news certainly made the storm sound ominous.

… Y ahora llueve otra vez. [O.O]
… And now it's raining again.

Espero que todo permanece seguro.
I hope everyone stays safe.
(she)
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Lambuzhao wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:Espero que [las] semanas no son ...
I hope [the] weeks aren't ...
Edit: Espero que [las] semanas no sean ...
I hope [the] weeks aren't ...
Espero que todo permanece seguro.
I hope everyone stays safe.
Espero que todo permanezca seguro. :?:

No tenga miedo del subjuntivo. :mrgreen:
Fear not the subjunctive.
Spoiler:
I originally interpreted "todo permanece seguro" as "everything remains secure" as in: you don't want to see lawn furniture or rhododendrons whizzing past your window. Then I saw "everyone" in your translation.

"Todo el mundo" certainly removes any ambiguity, but I get the impression that this is used less extensively than in French. Maybe plural "que todos permanezcan seguros" :?: Maybe "todo" is okay in context? I'll leave it to Lam or others to address this if this is a non-issue and I'm blowing smoke. [:x]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Ay, dios mío… me decepcioné una vez más. [:'(]
Oh, jeez… I've disappointed myself once again.

Eh… voy a sobrevivir. [:O] [:)]
Eh… I'll survive.

Pues, todavía no aprendí el subjuntivo en la escuela. Supongo que tengo un poco de "miedo", pero creo que no lo uso principalmente porque es mayormente desconocido para mí.
Well, I still haven't learned the subjunctive in school. I guess I am a little "afraid", but I think that I don't use it mainly because it's largely unfamiliar to me.

Olvido de practicarlo porque no lo practiqué nada… Supongo que esa declaración suena bastante extraña. [:S] [:P]
I forget to practice it because I've never practiced it… I guess that statement sounds pretty weird.

Además, "esperar" no me parece como un verbo que necesitaría el subjuntivo en la cláusula siguiente. No sé por qué no. Sé que es incorrecto, pero… entonces, necesito que simplemente acostumbrarme.
Also, "esperar" doesn't seem like a verb that would require the subjunctive in the next clause to me. I don't know why not. I know it's wrong, but… well, I just need to get myself used to it.

¡Gracias por tu ayuda! [:D]
Thanks for your help!
Spoiler:
About todo, you're probably right. I was unsure about whether to use todo or todos there, and I most likely should have used todos. I've heard todo el mundo and similar expressions before, but for me, it seems like a rather extreme thing to say; that doesn't mean it's wrong at all, though.
(she)
Tuslaven Kukristo
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuslaven Kukristo »

Voy a empezar estudiar aléman por una semana empezando julio 13 para ver cuanto puedo aprender. Voy a usar Duolingo y yo espero que voy a poder a aprender tener una conversación básica por el fin de la semana.
I am going to start studying german for one week starting july 13 to see how much i can learn. I am going to be using duolingo and i hope that i'll be able to have a basic conversation by the end of the week.

Yo quiero cumpliar el curso entego de Duolingo en esa semana (probablamente no va a pasar), pero no sé si voy a poder que hacerlo porque, aunque puedo dejar muchas cosas que normalmente necesito hacer (claro, porque es el verano) pero una cosa que no voy a dejar que hacer es estudiar mi Biblia (porque Jesús es amigo mío) y yo aún quiero escucharle.
I hope to complete the entire Duolingo course in that week (which probably won't happen), but i don't know if i will be able to do it, becuase even though there are a lot of things that i can lay aside for that week - because it's summer - there is still one thing that i want to keep - studying my Bible (because Jesus is my best friend) and i still want to listen to Him.

Por favor, no me ataque por mi español pobre - yo sé, yo sé, es terrible, pero yo he estado estudiando español solamente hace como 5 o 6 meses y tambien estoy estudiando el idioma de las manos y griego antiguo y otros idiomas. Si tienes sugestiones para como aprender aléman, por favor, los dame.
Please don't attack me for my poor spanish - I know, i know, its terrible, but i have only been studying spanish for like 5 or 6 months and i am also studying sign language, ancient greek and other languages. If you have any suggestions on how to learn German, please gi'me 'em.
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: :esp: + :grc: + :rus: + :epo: + :heb: + Toki Pona + ASL
Conlang: Teeverb Kuluxem
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Pourquoi tu as décidé d'étudier l'allemand?
/puʁkwa ty a deside detydje lalmɑ̃/
Why did you decide to study German?

Et pourquoi cette hâte?
/e puʁkwa set at/
And why the rush?
Tuslaven Kukristo
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuslaven Kukristo »

Dormouse559 wrote:Pourquoi tu as décidé d'étudier l'allemand?
/puʁkwa ty a deside detydje lalmɑ̃/
Why did you decide to study German?

Et pourquoi cette hâte?
/e puʁkwa set at/
And why the rush?
Es como un juego. Un amigo y yo vamos a ver cuanto de un idioma podemos aprender en una semana unicamente.
It's like a game. A friend and I are going to see how much of a language we can learn in only a week.

Y Alemon porque es mas facil por una hablante de ingles.
And German because its easier for an english speaker to learn.
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: :esp: + :grc: + :rus: + :epo: + :heb: + Toki Pona + ASL
Conlang: Teeverb Kuluxem
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

Quista conversaziun est fich interessanta. Eu stögl esser da la partida daplü!

---

This conversation is very interesting. I need to participate more often/commonly!
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Quelle langue parles-tu? Elle a l'air d'une langue romane, mais elle a aussi les trémas, comme s'elle soit une langue germanique.
Qué lengua hablas tú? Se parece a una lengua románica, pero tiene también los tremas, como si fuera una lengua germánica.
What language are you speaking? It looks like a romance language, but it also has umlauts, as if it is a germanic language.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Rätoromanisch, vielleicht?
Romansh, maybe?
Edit:
Adarain wrote:A1
:sui: Romansh — Vallader
(From their signature.)
Last edited by zyma on 04 Jul 2015 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
(she)
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Quista conversaziun est fich interessanta. Eu stögl esser da la partida daplü!
Quista zì la lengua bumbara, ruvignesa, lunbarda oû cume?

Is this Bumbaro, Rovignese, Lombard or what?
:wat:
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

Id es Rumantsch :)

Ma che lingua es quai chi tu falast?

---

It is Romansh :)

But what language is it that you speak?

Dammit, I mixed my conjugations up... it's tu est and id es, not the other way around...
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

- meî i iè favalà la lengua istriota -
I spoke Istriote

[tick] quista/sta
[tick] conversaziun
Last edited by Lambuzhao on 04 Jul 2015 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

Edit:
Eu nun incleg il seguond part cha tü hast scrit.

I don’t understand the second part that you wrote.
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Teddy wrote:Quelle langue parles-tu (Tu parles quelle langue)? Elle a l'air d'une langue romane, mais elle a aussi des trémas, comme si elle était une langue germanique.
"Quelle langue parles-tu?" est grammaticalement correct, mais c'est aussi assez formel. Une forme sans inversion conviendrait mieux à un forum en ligne comme celui-ci.
"Quelle langue parles-tu?" is grammatically correct, but it's also quite formal. A form without inversion would be more at home on an online forum like this.

Le subjonctif français ne s'utilise jamais après "si". Dans ce cas, l'imparfait est le bon choix.
The French subjunctive is never used after "si". In this case, the imparfait is the right choice.
Adarain wrote:Quista conversaziun est fich interessanta. Eu stögl esser da la partida daplü!
Lambuzhao wrote:Quista zì la lengua bumbara, ruvignesa, lunbarda oû cume?
Maintenant, je veux reprendre mes études du ligure et du piémontais.
Now I want to take up Ligurian and Piedmontese again.
[:)]