(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
zyma
korean
korean

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by zyma »

k1234567890y wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:sorry, I don't know either...maybe you can type the contents in Excel or OpenOffice calc, then upload it as an image, then post the image here?

maybe I should just not try to help if I don't know...
That's good advice, but I'm not good enough with computers to know how to make the contents of Excel or a similar program into an image, let alone one suitable to be posted here. Thank you, though!
simply make a screenshot of them, then crop the part you want and make it an image. (:

you can take a screenshot by pressing the "prt sc sysrq" button, then you can open a new file in MSpaint and past the screenshot on it, then start editing on it (:
Well, I'll try. Thanks again!
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

shimobaatar wrote: Well, I'll try. Thanks again!
you are welcome, 霜勇士 (:
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

shimobaatar wrote:How do you make tables? I've had it explained to me before, but I can't remember how to do it. I also can't find where it's been explained to me.
Maybe you were searching for this post?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Creyeditor wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:How do you make tables? I've had it explained to me before, but I can't remember how to do it. I also can't find where it's been explained to me.
Maybe you were searching for this post?
I wasn't, but thank you!
(she)
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

If you press the windows key and print screen in a combination then it will save the image automatically under ".../Pictures/Screenshots" which makes it far easier to access. Then in paint: Select tool, drag rectangle around table, click crop, save, upload to image sharing platform of your choice (I find imgur is easy), then type this in where you want your table:

Code: Select all

[img]url of image here[/img]
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Thank you all for your advice, but I really meant to ask about how to make these kinds of tables:

a b c
b
c
(she)
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

shimobaatar wrote:Thank you all for your advice, but I really meant to ask about how to make these kinds of tables:

a b c
b
c
Guess and check, honestly
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

qwed117 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:Thank you all for your advice, but I really meant to ask about how to make these kinds of tables:

a b c
b
c
Guess and check, honestly
CBB does not support HTML, apparently.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

a b c
b
c
Well, the code environment uses a fixed-width font, i.e. you can count vertical and horizontal distance by counting letters and spaces. Let's say you want a table with three columns (and rows). Each column should be able to contain words with three letters. There should be a space between each column. That means that you need a width of (3+1)+(3+1)+(3+1)=12. An example could look like this. It is important to use spaces instead of tabs.

HEA HEA HEA
123 123 123 
123 456 789
101 112 131
456 789 123 
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

They should really add in some [table] BBcode stuff. Then a user could create a table like this:
[table]
[th][td rowspan=2]Heading[/td][/th]
[tr][td]a[/td][td]b[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]c[/td][td]d[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]e[/td][td]f[/td][/tr]
[/table]

That then coming out looking a bit like this:

| Heading |
| a  | b  |
| c  | d  |
| e  | f  |
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

OTheB wrote:They should really add in some [table] BBcode stuff. Then a user could create a table like this:
[table]
[th][td rowspan=2]Heading[/td][/th]
[tr][td]a[/td][td]b[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]c[/td][td]d[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]e[/td][td]f[/td][/tr]
[/table]

That then coming out looking a bit like this:

| Heading |
| a  | b  |
| c  | d  |
| e  | f  |
we should tell the developers of phpBB to develop table codes?
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

a b c
b
c
That's not too tough to make if you have a word processor. Just make a document and set a fixed-width font, like Courier.

Then decide what column widths you want/need in terms of characters. This part is the only place where you need any kind of math. Take the first entry/label from the first column and subtract its number of characters from the total characters in that column (e.g. present = 7 characters, total width = 10 characters; 10 - 7 = 3). Then type the entry and add spaces equal to the result of the subtraction (e.g. present + [3 spaces]). Repeat for each column.

For the remaining rows, you only have to type an entry, then add enough spaces to line up visually with the next column.

To post the finished table, copy-paste it between code tags on the forum. I like to preview the result before posting, just to make sure there aren't any stray spaces.

I made all my Silvish verb conjugation tables this way.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Creyeditor wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, the code environment uses a fixed-width font, i.e. you can count vertical and horizontal distance by counting letters and spaces. Let's say you want a table with three columns (and rows). Each column should be able to contain words with three letters. There should be a space between each column. That means that you need a width of (3+1)+(3+1)+(3+1)=12. An example could look like this. It is important to use spaces instead of tabs.

HEA HEA HEA
123 123 123 
123 456 789
101 112 131
456 789 123 
Dormouse559 wrote:
Spoiler:
That's not too tough to make if you have a word processor. Just make a document and set a fixed-width font, like Courier.

Then decide what column widths you want/need in terms of characters. This part is the only place where you need any kind of math. Take the first entry/label from the first column and subtract its number of characters from the total characters in that column (e.g. present = 7 characters, total width = 10 characters; 10 - 7 = 3). Then type the entry and add spaces equal to the result of the subtraction (e.g. present + [3 spaces]). Repeat for each column.

For the remaining rows, you only have to type an entry, then add enough spaces to line up visually with the next column.

To post the finished table, copy-paste it between code tags on the forum. I like to preview the result before posting, just to make sure there aren't any stray spaces.

I made all my Silvish verb conjugation tables this way.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
(she)
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Why is "rou" the code for the Romanian flag? Neither the English words "Romania" and "Romanian" nor the Romanian words "România" and "română" have a "u" in them.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

GrandPiano wrote:Why is "rou" the code for the Romanian flag? Neither the English words "Romania" and "Romanian" nor the Romanian words "România" and "română" have a "u" in them.
According to Wikipedia, that's Romania's three-letter ISO country code, which was derived from the country's French name, "Roumanie".
(she)
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

OK, that makes sense. Thanks!
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

Is there a rule about necroing posts? If I see a thread in the Conworlding forum I want to respond to, how long ago can the last post be?
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

There's not really. Just keep it pertinent.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

If you're just bumping a thread to say something like "I agree" or to respond to an argument that ended three years ago, don't do it. But if you have something of substance to add, go ahead!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I've seen Romance-language-teaching cards where Romanian is spelt "Roumanian". Apparently it's an alternative spelling even in English.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 89,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!