(EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Bonfire Night

Post by Lambuzhao »

Dormouse559 wrote: 06 Nov 2018 03:16
eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Nov 2018 22:17 Who is doing what to observe Guy Fawkes’s Day?
I tried to blow up a parliament, but the owls just swiveled their heads and saw me, so that didn't go so well. [:S]
I think you have to give more of a Whoot to be more successful in that venture. [B)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: (EE) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lambuzhao wrote: 18 Nov 2018 18:03 Not just Antarctica! Greenland, Iceland, parts of Polynesia and the Hawaiian Islands lack native ant species, and… ooooh.
I see what you did there. [B)]

Silly Billy! Y'got me!!
[xP]
My brain’s way of coming up with the question might have been punny, but I actually want to know.

Army ants 🐜 are found both on Africa and on South America, and appear to be related. The currently favored explanation is that army ants evolved and spread before Africa and SA drifted apart. Surely ants-in-general evolved and spread before army ants did. So I wonder why the parts of the world without ants don’t have them. Were they all parts of Laurasia but not of Gondwanaland, or something?
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Antarctica was part of Gondwanaland, but it eventually became too cold for ants to thrive, I think.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

WeepingElf wrote: 18 Nov 2018 21:31 Antarctica was part of Gondwanaland, but it eventually became too cold for ants to thrive, I think.
There are a few southerly species :
Jack jumper ants (Tasmania)
Clubbed Trigger ants (New Zealand)
Bullhead ants (Southern Africa)
Monomorium bidentatum (Patagonia)
Weaver ants Œcophylla (Tierra del Fuego)

So there are clearly more than one possible candidate for rafting.

It seems that ants are kind of bound by minimum temps
https://phys.org/news/2013-03-ants-temperature.html

But that's not to say that certain species cannot collectively buck the cold
https://phys.org/news/2016-06-mountaine ... -body.html

https://biology.stackexchange.com/quest ... ts-to-cold

IMHO I think that ants are incapable of digging far into/combatting permafrost, though.

And I bet that in a place like Antarctica, no (complex) plant associations with large taprooted plants/shrubs/trees might have something to do with it as well.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

1. Thanks, Lambuzhao.

2. Rafting?
2A. From where?
2b. To where?
2c. When?

3. I’m almost sure you’re right about the permafrost. Probably the plants, too. But Antarctica still had macroflora sometime after it drifted to the South Pole — right? Would it have kept its ants until the bigger and middle-sized plants all died?
this_is_an_account
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by this_is_an_account »

How does one type combining diacritics on this site? I'm on mobile using an IPA keyboard, and if I type a diacritic, it doesn't do anything.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

That's why all my conlangs have simple phonologies 😛... I have not found a way to type without copypasting, so if I'm typing anything fancy it means I'm on my big screen PC. Just not a common need, I guess, so no integrated keyboards.
Last edited by Pabappa on 25 Nov 2018 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

this_is_an_account wrote: 24 Nov 2018 22:18 How does one type combining diacritics on this site? I'm on mobile using an IPA keyboard, and if I type a diacritic, it doesn't do anything.
I don't think there is a way to directly type combining diacritics on this site. I use Aszev's X-SAMPA to IPA converter. I remember you asking about combining tone and nasalization markers, so I'll use that as an example. If you type /e_M~/, you'll get /ē̃/.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Chthulucene or Cthulhucene?

Post by eldin raigmore »

Are we living in a Chthulucene Epoch, or a Cthulhucene Epoch?
Anyone else here ever heard of either of these?
The debate has been going on since 2015, apparently. How come I’m just now hearing of these alternatives?
(Other notions — Anthropocene, Capitalocene, et alia— have been around longer, I guess. )

What about the epoch/epic distinction?

This question is semiserious. Well, at least 33% serious.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

epic [->] :grc: ἐπικός 'worthy of being included/mentioned/remembered in a poem' , Ult. from PIE *wékʷos 'voice'; 'speech'
Cf.
:con: Mṛṣārtha sūktánas 'spoken of well'
:con: Aiwidruxtô hūxtanas 'spoken of well'
:con: Leugatuggǭ gawahansama 'mentionable'
:con: Noäpčea uociqos "Invocable" epithet for household godlets, tutelary dieties, and Poliardic divinities

epoch [->] :grc: ἐποχή 'a pause, cessation' , Ult. from PIE *h₁epi 'on, in' + *seǵʰ- 'hold', 'overpower'
Cf.
:con: Mṛṣārtha apisáhas 'the power to halt; self-disicipline'
:con: Aiwidruxtô aipihaza 'self-discipline; austerity'
:con: Leugatuggǭ bisigis ' a waylaying, an ambush, a surprise victory'
:con: Noäpčea obischa (dial. upischù) 'constrainment, hemming in'
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Chthulucene

Hmmm… since we may well be in the interstitial, intercalary strange-age between Cthulhu awakenings, we may as well be in the
Interchthulucene (?!)

…and let's just let those sleeping intergalactic bullmastifffs lie…
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: 19 Nov 2018 05:04 1. Thanks, Lambuzhao.

2. Rafting?
2A. From where?
2b. To where?
2c. When?

3. I’m almost sure you’re right about the permafrost. Probably the plants, too. But Antarctica still had macroflora sometime after it drifted to the South Pole — right? Would it have kept its ants until the bigger and middle-sized plants all died?
Certainly.
One of my favorite episodes of Walking With Dinosaurs is about the island continent of Antarctica, which maintained polar forests well into the late Mesozoic Era.
Based on more recent paleoecological & palynological studies, looks like Antarctica had Podocarp~Nothfagus forests into the Eocene. That, plus overall globally warmer temps during the Eocene would have more than assured any native ant species to have survived into the early Cenozoic Era.

Also looks like Antarctica had pockets of tundra
Edit: microhabitat/microbiome
from roughly 17~2 Mya (!!?!)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 801730219X

Wow!
[O.O]
That's geologically super-recent!
Last edited by Lambuzhao on 02 Dec 2018 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I would just say "biome" or "habitat" for that.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Lambuzhao wrote: 02 Dec 2018 20:33
eldin raigmore wrote: 19 Nov 2018 05:04 1. Thanks, Lambuzhao.

2. Rafting?
2A. From where?
2b. To where?
2c. When?

Certainly.
One of my favorite episodes of Walking With Dinosaurs is about the island continent of Antarctica, which maintained polar forests well into the late Mesozoic Era.
Based on more recent paleoecological & palynological studies, looks like Antarctica had Podocarp~Nothfagus forests into the Eocene. That, plus overall globally warmer temps during the Eocene would have more than assured any native ant species to have survived into the early Cenozoic Era.

Also looks like Antarctica had pockets of tundra ecotopes (is that the right term?) from roughly 17~2 Mya (!!?!)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 801730219X

Wow!
[O.O]
That's geologically super-recent!
Whoops! Sorry. Here→

2. Rafting? = Traveling on piles of floating wrack/debris. Ants could also raft within semi-rotten branches or tree-sections that had broken in a monsoon or hurricane. {Now, just thinking about it, queen/drone ant pairs or groups might've been blown off course as well}

2A. From where? → Gonwondan neighbors: Tierra del Fuego, Tasmania, South Africa, and/or any isles or aights that are even closer, and support populations of ant species.

2b. To where? → Antarctica ¿right?
2c. When? → Uff! Looks like anywhen from the Cretaceous into the Eocene (120 ~ 50 Mya).
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Pabappa wrote: 02 Dec 2018 20:37 I would just say "biome" or "habitat" for that.
Uy! of course.
Thanks!!
[:D]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thanks, all!

BTW.
Chthulucene is (apparently and reportedly) meant to be related to “chthonic”, “autochthonous”, “Melanchthon”, etc.
Cthulhucene is related to the Lovecraftian Great Old Ones and/or Elder Gods.

BTW again; chthonoclysm is not in the dictionary as far as I know, but if it were, would it mean an unusually destructive landslide?
What exactly are the differences between clysms and clasms?

Kurt Vonnegut wrote of chronosynclastic infundibula; could one write of, say, chronosanclystic infundibulae?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

-clysm is related to the more or less obsolete clyster, which are derivations from the :grc: κλυζειν [kly.sde:n] "to wash"

-clasm comes from the :grc: verb κλᾰ́ειν [kla.e:n] "to break", which has almost ¼ gazillion IE cognates, and 6⅞ crore of derivations which have come down into English, including clade, cladistics, clone, colon, colaphon, coup d'état, cleric, clerk, clergy, cleronomy, clastic, pyroclase… … …

… there's a chance I'm wrong on the exact numerical figures.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

So a chthonoclasm would be an earth-shattering event; while a chthonoclysm would be something like the sinking of Atlantis or Zealandia, or a Noachian-level flood.

Right?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Do they like Yu Aida’s “GunslingerGirl” in Italy?
Edit: Why don’t the characters’ mouth movements match up to their Japanese dialogue?
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 23 Dec 2018 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: 04 Dec 2018 03:06 So a chthonoclasm would be an earth-shattering event;
Possibly like another word for an earthquake or seismic episode, or also tectonic plate separation, or else an asteroid impact.

while a chthonoclysm would be something like the sinking of Atlantis or Zealandia, or a Noachian-level flood.
Right?
Hmm… a 'cleansing of the earth' by water... makes sense.

Also could perhaps be a cleansing by (liquified) earth, i.e. a deleterious deluge of magma from a volcano, or from some kind of chthonoclastic event.