Metal Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Xonen

Re: Metal Thread

Post by Xonen »

Linguifex wrote: 13 Aug 2018 08:47My band just had our first concert with the new lineup.
Whoa, same here. [:|] We're not in the same band, are we?

(Not sure if it'd be frowned upon to link it here, so I've refrained from doing so for now.)
Well, if it's a non-commercial hobby project you're personally involved with and its content doesn't explicitly violate any of our house rules, I doubt anyone would crucify you for it. [:)] But yeah, it is a bit of a grey area at the moment, so PM's to the willing might be the safest option. I'll take one, please.
vampireshark
sinic
sinic

Post by vampireshark »

Ooh, it's been a while since I posted, but I might as well mention the last few concerts I saw that were tangentially metal-related:
October of last year: Apocalyptica, playing their debut album plus some other stuff (all instrumental!)
This June (around my birthday): Volbeat with Shinedown as the opener
A few weeks later: Billy Idol
July: Arch Enemy

I think Volbeat was my favorite out of these, though Billy Idol sounded amazing and Arch Enemy was full of good energy. Apocalyptica also sounded amazing live. And the really nice thing in Luxembourg is that the tickets aren't that expensive: I paid about €30 each or so for Apocalyptica and Arch Enemy and €50 each for Billy Idol and Volbeat. (Though my favorite still probably was the Texas concert last November.)
And I'll dance with you in Vienna,
I'll be wearing a river's disguise;
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thigh...

Looking for subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Two words:
vampireshark wrote: 19 Aug 2018 21:23 October of last year: Apocalyptica, playing their debut album plus some other stuff (all instrumental!)
Jealous

vampireshark wrote: 19 Aug 2018 21:23 July: Arch Enemy
Jealous

I just arrived in Manchester in time to see Skálmöld back in April because the person who so kindly arranged to train between Leeds and Manchester on checked the prices (going for the cheapest train), but didn't check to see what time the train would actually arrive in Manchester. From what I could find out, we missed maybe their first song. It did mean we missed the support band, Stam1na, who I was kind of hoping to see (I'd never really heard of them before).

Omnium Gatherum played after Skálmöld, but I wasn't a huge fan of their music beforehand and my opinion of their live act is mixed. The music in and of itself was played well, and the vocals held up, but "we love you guys", "you guys are beautiful", or something along those lines, was said more or less between every song, which in my head is just... iffy [:P]

Gunnar Ben wasn't there with Skálmöld, so I couldn't hug him again [:P] Neither was Baldur Ragnarsson (not the Esperantist), who's wife had given birth the day before they set off to go on their tour. I still haven't found out what they called their child, but I'm hoping for Hilmar, because Hilmar Baldursson, who is the central figure from Norse mythology at the centre of their first album, Börn Loka.

Linguifex's band's EP is gooood. How the Gods Punish reminded me almost of Auðn, so I nice atmospheric intro, kicking into something more akin to, what is that, technical/progressive death metal? Really like the lyrics too, and the vocal style, and throwing in the clean vocals every so often was a nice addition.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

sangi39 wrote: Linguifex's band's EP is gooood. How the Gods Punish reminded me almost of Auðn, so I nice atmospheric intro, kicking into something more akin to, what is that, technical/progressive death metal? Really like the lyrics too, and the vocal style, and throwing in the clean vocals every so often was a nice addition.
I want to listen to it too!
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Same. [:D]
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

sangi39 wrote: 22 Aug 2018 18:33Linguifex's band's EP is gooood. How the Gods Punish reminded me almost of Auðn, so I nice atmospheric intro, kicking into something more akin to, what is that, technical/progressive death metal? Really like the lyrics too, and the vocal style, and throwing in the clean vocals every so often was a nice addition.
Finally managed to give a good listen to it myself, and yeah, I more or less agree with this assessment. Wasn't initially a huge fan of those clean vocals myself, to be completely honest, but listening to it again with the volume turned up a bit, I'm beginning to think it's a mixing problem. At the point where there's enough high end for the higher vocals to sound good, the drums and bass start clipping audibly. [:S] (Of course, I could tweak my computer's audio settings to get around this, but ideally, I shouldn't have to.) But yeah, the somewhat muddy mix is really my only complaint - and I know from experience that mixing can be a huge PitA. There's a reason it takes years of study to become a professional audio engineer (and even then, I guess what sounds good is ultimately a matter of taste).

In any case, the music itself is, indeed, very good. Nice, creative songwriting, and driven by a guitarist who, especially, seems to know what they're doing. Two horns up.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-Z9GqJFyM

I actually found this band, and this song in particular because for my Writing Intensive course, I'm taking Russian Lit (I adore Dostoevsky, plus I'm 3/4 Ukrainian Jewish, so I'm naturally interested in a culture that influenced my own), and the first piece of writing was The Lay of the Host of Igor, and the professor wants to show modern influences, especially on Western Europe/America, and so showed Polovtsian Dances from Borodin's Prince Igor, and then Stranger in Paradise from Kismet, and I was entranced, and I wikied Polovtsian Dances and found that this metal song's chorus is from the same section as Stranger in Paradise.
I just find it amazing that a historical event from 1185 could lead to a metal song 825 years later.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Shemtov wrote: 07 Sep 2018 23:23 I just find it amazing that a historical event from 1185 could lead to a metal song 825 years later.
It happens from time to time. The Faroese folk metal band Týr, for example, has a song called Tróndur í Gøtu that is about a Faroese Viking born in 945AD (IIRC, several of their songs are just metal covers of Faroese and Danish folk songs, many dating back to or referencing events that are several centuries old). Similarly, Skálmöld's first album, Börn Loka, as well as a number of their songs in general, tie back to Icelandic history and the Eddas. The often covered Herr Mannelig is a Swedish ballad that was first published in 1877.

Saying that, this might be a feature of folk metal in general, tying songs to historical events (as well as the more prominent references to mythology and pre-Christian culture in general), or covering older songs or instrumentals.

Although let's not forget cello quartet Apocalyptica's cover of Grieg's 1875 Hall of the Mountain King
Just one time.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

sangi39 wrote: 12 Sep 2018 00:40 Although let's not forget cello quartet Apocalyptica's cover of Grieg's 1875 Hall of the Mountain King
Definitely not forget that one!

I think this is all a big part of why I like folk metal so much. I like history and I like folk music--I think a culture's folk music tells you a lot about that culture and makes a connection with the past--and I love metal, so bringing it all together results in something I really enjoy. Plus, so much of music throughout history revolves around remixing and retelling pieces that were written (and remixed, and retold, and reorchestrated) previously. This is just furthering that tradition in a new genre of music.

Also, I just love the sound of "non-traditional" instruments (for metal, anyway) being mixed with metal. Like, throw a hurdygurdy in your metal band and I'm yours for life.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I found these songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mafj0f00VE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaUu-O ... swCSgpSz0r

As regards folk metal, you may like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEPjB3aD5TI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYLK78nInA
Who can recommend me some good power metal with themes of villainy and evil?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Ahzoh wrote: 26 Sep 2018 21:36 I found these songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mafj0f00VE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaUu-O ... swCSgpSz0r

As regards folk metal, you may like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEPjB3aD5TI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYLK78nInA
Who can recommend me some good power metal with themes of villainy and evil?
I used to really like Trivium, especially their first two albums, but I was heavily into screamed vocals at the time, so the use of predominantly clean vocals in their third album really put me off and I've never gone back to them. I'm not sure if it's a sort of "nostalgia" thing or what, but I just haven't been able to enjoy them since 2006.

Skálmöld, though, is pretty much one of my favourite bands, and I'm hugely looking forward to their new album, Sorgir, in 16 days (yes, I'm counting). I ordered it the day they announced it was coming out [:P]

I have Moonsorrow's albums as well, but they rarely make it to my iPod, so they turn up in passing. They're good though, I enjoy them when they turn up. My iPod only holds 8GB, but I have 94GB of music, so a lot of what I listen to daily is stuff I really really like or stuff that's new (recently that's been a lot of Elyose, Ignea, Once Human, Alien Weaponry, Auðn, ReVamp, and Cellar Darling, on top of the usual Skálmöld, Týr, Dimmu Borgir, Belphegor, ArchEnemy, Lacuna Coil, Lamb of God, Turisas, etc.)
Just one time.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I’m the opposite, I generally disprefer harsh vocals and gravitate towards the cleans ones. Which is why I tend to like Halestorm, Celldweller, and Blue Stahli.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 28 Sep 2018 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

+1 harsh vocals and Trivium

But yeah, I do prefer their older stuff, such as those from the Ascendancy era etc
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Skálmöld's new album should be playing here, 4 days ahead of its release, on one of Iceland's radio stations, within the next five minutes. I've only just stumbled across the news, so I'll be there listening [:D]

http://www.ruv.is/nolayout/popup/ras2
Just one time.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

My band is planning on recording an album soon.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Up to 7315 songs by 101 bands

... and I've just noticed I haven't put Nile on that list [:P] I'm looking to get a hold of Narjahana's and Al-Namrood's stuff as well, and I need to catch up with a few bands on that list as well (there's a number of recent albums I haven't gotten my hands on yet).

In slightly sadder news, Skálmöld have announced that they'll be going on hiatus for an indeterminate period of time after a two-day farewell event in Reykjavík at the end of this year. They've been my favourite band for years now, and happy that I've managed to see them live twice, both in Iceland and here in the UK, but I can't say they won't be missed. They've had a good decade-long run, and Baldur Ragnarsson became a father last year, so no doubt he'll want to spend time with his kid and his wife as his family gets older. They've more than earned a break [:)]
Just one time.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I'm gonna have to look into some of the bands I don't recognize, and a few I know by name only. Been meaning to find more music anyway.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

LinguistCat wrote: 28 Sep 2019 01:14 I'm gonna have to look into some of the bands I don't recognize, and a few I know by name only. Been meaning to find more music anyway.
If you, and anyone else, wouldn't mind sharing lists, that would be great [:D] I'm always up for finding something new [:)]
Just one time.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Alright, I'm not sure if metalcore counts here, but I'll add some bands from my list, especially ones that are easy to track down or recent:
Reyzadren's metalcore stuffz wrote:Amaranthe, As I Lay Dying, Asking Alexandria, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, Cyrha, Dangerkids, Dead by April, Issues, Killswitch Engage, Machinemade God, Rise to fall, Soilwork, The Sorrow, Unguided, Trivium, We Came As Romans
I know these are definitely metal though:
Reyzadren's metal stuffz wrote:Elvenking, Mercenary, Pyramaze, Serenity, Sonata Arctica, Vanishing Point
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Herra Ratatoskr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

I see Alestorm listed, but not Gloryhammer (one of Christopher Bowes' side projects). If you appreciate the tongue-in-cheek humor of Alestorm's take on folk metal, I imagine you'd get a kick out of a similar take on lore-ful (their three albums form an ongoing story) power metal. Some personal favorites include The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee, Rise of the Chaos Wizards and Gloryhammer

On a less goofy note, I'll also give props to Boisson Divine, a French folk metal band that sings mostly in their native Gascon dialect of Occitan (as well as a few songs in French, I believe). Some recommendations: Dauna de Brassempoi, Quin Braguer and Terre D'Attache.

Also, wait a second, how has Sabaton not been mentioned? They're military-themed power metal, with a lot of WWI/WWII songs, but branch out often enough (they even did an entire concept album about the Swedish Empire - with English and Swedish language versions). They're also amazing live and probably my favorite band to go see. Go listen to 40:1, Night Witches, Shiroyama or Poltava (English or Swedish - the latter is the better version, imo)