The CBB

Discuss constructed languages, cultures, worlds, related sciences and much more!
It is currently Sat 27 May 2017, 07:12

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct 2015, 01:36 
darkness
darkness

Making diacritics align in a font seems to me to be the hardest part... So maybe he is referring to the oft convoluted systems of "vowel pointing" that sometimes accompany an abjad? Just a guess.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct 2015, 03:00 
cuneiform
cuneiform

Ahzoh wrote:
I have not figured out how to do right-to-left fonts, but apparently you just overlay your font over arabic or hebrew letters. I did it, didn't work.

The problem with right-left or top-bottom fonts is not really the font itself, but the software on which you write with the font, if the software doesn't support alternative text directions then there's nothing to be done. If the software does support it, but the support is fixed, then overlaying your font over hebrew should work. If the software allows for custom text flow then you can just use normal unicode codepoints and just set the text to your desired direction.

Español | English | 日本語

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct 2015, 04:02 
korean
korean

MIGUELbM wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
I have not figured out how to do right-to-left fonts, but apparently you just overlay your font over arabic or hebrew letters. I did it, didn't work.

The problem with right-left or top-bottom fonts is not really the font itself, but the software on which you write with the font, if the software doesn't support alternative text directions then there's nothing to be done. If the software does support it, but the support is fixed, then overlaying your font over hebrew should work. If the software allows for custom text flow then you can just use normal unicode codepoints and just set the text to your desired direction.

I do not know the limitation of FontCreator and can't find anyone who uses it.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct 2015, 14:36 
cuneiform
cuneiform

Ahzoh wrote:
MIGUELbM wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

As I said, the problem is not FontCreator, but where you decide to write with your font, I believe that MS Word supports right to left if you install the appropriate language pack.

Español | English | 日本語

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct 2015, 18:04 

MIGUELbM wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
MIGUELbM wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:

As I said, the problem is not FontCreator, but where you decide to write with your font, I believe that MS Word supports right to left if you install the appropriate language pack.

I'll attest to this being true, at least in older versions (I haven't used MS Word in years). I'd assume it would still be true with more current versions too unless for some reason they decided to remove that particular feature for some godless reason.

That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct 2015, 18:27 
korean
korean

MIGUELbM wrote:

The problem is FontCreator. I made a font where my conscript was assigned Hebrew letter codepoints and when I typed my font into MS Word it only showed Hebrew letters.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2015, 00:11 
MVP
MVP

To be clear here, the problem is neither FontCreator nor MS Word. What is happening is that MS Word detects that your Hebrew font is defective, and refuses to display it. This is because you have almost certainly not included all the OpenType features required of a Hebrew font.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/hebrewot/features.htm

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct 2015, 00:34 
korean
korean

clawgrip wrote:
To be clear here, the problem is neither FontCreator nor MS Word. What is happening is that MS Word detects that your Hebrew font is defective, and refuses to display it. This is because you have almost certainly not included all the OpenType features required of a Hebrew font.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/hebrewot/features.htm

Probably, my font is a True-Type font.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb 2017, 04:49 
sinic
sinic

I have a conscript that I'm not satisfied with. Nothing wrong with it itself, it just looks to cursive for my liking. It's an syllabary with characters that look like a blend of English cursive and hiragana.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of writing script I should go for. The syllable structure, for now at least, is CV(C), but it might become (C)CV(C). There are four coda consonants.

As for the basic structure of the language, it is agglutinative, but will eventually become fusional.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb 2017, 05:02 
roman
roman

Your post is probably better suited for the Con-Script Development Centre.

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

PostPosted: Tue 23 May 2017, 17:15 
cuneiform
cuneiform

So clawgrip, how is your Hanzi simplification project going?

PostPosted: Tue 23 May 2017, 21:29 
runic
runic

MoonRightRomantic wrote:
So clawgrip, how is your Hanzi simplification project going?

Wut?

What is made of man will crumble away.

PostPosted: Wed 24 May 2017, 14:42 
MVP
MVP

qwed117 wrote:
Wut?

I believe it is a reference to http://aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2333&p=239915&hilit=%E5%B9%B5#p237638.

This is kind of a weird place to post this question, instead of on that thread, but anyway, I don't know enough about the Chinese language to do something like that, and I think it wouldn't work so well based on Japanese.