Question about tense conjugations

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Question about tense conjugations

Post by Taurenzine »

I have a question about tense conjugations. I am a total noob, so I want to know if what I'm doing is right or wrong, etc. just look at this image, is it right or wrong? does it make sense? what do I need to learn?
Spoiler:
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Re: Question about tense conjugations

Post by Dezinaa »

Skimming over it, it looks pretty good, except "jumped" and "thought" are the past tense versions of "jump" and "think," not present. If you were implying the presence of the word "have" (e.g. "have jumped") then ignore what I said, because "have jumped" is indeed present.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

I agree with what Dezinaa said. I also think the inclusion of "did jump" as a past tense example, although correct, is somewhat strange, since it's basically just an emphatic version of "jumped". A more accurate set of examples would be:
  • Past: jumped (simple past), was jumping (past progressive), had jumped (past perfect)
  • Present: jumps (simple present), is jumping (present progressive), has jumped (present perfect)
  • Future: will jump (simple future), will be jumping (future progressice), will have jumped (future perfect)
...which mostly matches up with what you wrote. Is this for a conlang you're working on?
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

GrandPiano wrote:I agree with what Dezinaa said. I also think the inclusion of "did jump" as a past tense example, although correct, is somewhat strange, since it's basically just an emphatic version of "jumped". A more accurate set of examples would be:
  • Past: jumped (simple past), was jumping (past progressive), had jumped (past perfect)
  • Present: jumps (simple present), is jumping (present progressive), has jumped (present perfect)
  • Future: will jump (simple future), will be jumping (future progressice), will have jumped (future perfect)
...which mostly matches up with what you wrote. Is this for a conlang you're working on?

Thank you, both of you, this was very VERY helpful. I'll make sure to use this example [:D]
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

This is how tense conjugations will work in my language. not too different from English... its my first language so I get to base it heavily on my first one.... my writing system goes top to bottom, so when its written left to right that's just so save space
Spoiler:
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

The picture doesn't show for me. [:'(]
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Iyionaku wrote:The picture doesn't show for me. [:'(]
..... Huh.....

try again here
Spoiler: