New language~!

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Re: New language~!

Post by Nachtuil »

This phonology is wayyyyy more interesting than your earlier one, which seemed to emulate English but had some more rhotics. I appreciate your conventional phonology layout too. Please continue.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Nachtuil wrote:This phonology is wayyyyy more interesting than your earlier one, which seemed to emulate English but had some more rhotics. I appreciate your conventional phonology layout too. Please continue.
Thanks you :)
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Inkcube-Revolver wrote:
Taurenzine wrote:I decided to allow plosives to end syllables, but they will be unreleased. here is a full chart:

I really like your setup, and especially with labialized consonants able to be codas (ending stems or sounds of words in case you didn't know), I'm eager to see what the vocabulary and grammar looks like.
Thank you :)
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

I changed it just a little bit more to make it just slightly more unique... Here:

I removed the the post alveolar fricatives and affricates because they're like the most common thing ever and I just don't need them at all.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Ok, I changed it again... Here. I just added the unreleased plosives to the list. I need to stop now and get on with the lexicon:
Inkcube-Revolver
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Inkcube-Revolver »

Spoiler:
Taurenzine wrote:Ok, I changed it again... Here. I just added the unreleased plosives to the list. I need to stop now and get on with the lexicon:
Get on with it, Monty!
I like my languages how I like my women: grammatically complex with various moods and tenses, a thin line between nouns and verbs, and dozens upon dozens of possible conjugations for every single verb.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Three things I will note regarding the consonants:
- There is functionally no thing as an unreleased glottals stop. The glottals controls the "unreleased" nature of plosives.
- The bilabial affricated seems unusual. I don't think many languages have as much less than an affricated allophone of a plosive. It should be fine though. I don't think it'd very unusual
- There are no labialized unreleased plosives. Seems unusual, but it isn't completely unnatural.

Regarding the vowels:
- It might be less jarring to show the vowels as /a e o 1/ (1 being the barred I in X-SAMPA.)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

qwed117 wrote:Three things I will note regarding the consonants:
- There is functionally no thing as an unreleased glottals stop. The glottals controls the "unreleased" nature of plosives.
Maybe it could be creaky voice on the preceding vowel phonetically, but phonologically pattern with the unreleased stops.
qwed117 wrote:- There are no labialized unreleased plosives. Seems unusual, but it isn't completely unnatural.
I think that actually makes a lot of sense, if the labialization is primarily visible in the release (phonetically of course).
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

qwed117 wrote:Three things I will note regarding the consonants:
- The bilabial affricated seems unusual. I don't think many languages have as much less than an affricated allophone of a plosive. It should be fine though. I don't think it'd very unusual
- There are no labialized unreleased plosives. Seems unusual, but it isn't completely unnatural.

Regarding the vowels:
- It might be less jarring to show the vowels as /a e o 1/ (1 being the barred I in X-SAMPA.)
For your first statement, I actually thought about that as well, thinking the same thing... but if you think about it you can also make a glottal sound where it does release a bit, so I would say that the fact I put it there is to make things clear. If my concept of an unreleased sound it wrong, then I will give you an example of what I'm going for: hold your breath while your mouth is open. if you used the glottal area of you mouth, then while you were holding your breath, you were doing what I seem to think an unreleased plosive is... this could be completely wrong, but if that's the case I just need to learn more. [:D]

For your second statement, I guess My language is abnormal then? I don't mind much...

for your third statement, your making me think that I have the concept of unreleased plosives wrong, because I would completely disagree... these unreleased plosives that I have made will only be added to the end of a syllable (coda) and ONLY IF there is no next syllable. This is very clearly represented in Korean, for example the word 밥 which means rice, or meal, the final ㅂ should be what my concept of an unreleased labialized plosive is. So the only thing that I can say is that I believe we are talking about different things and I would like to be more educated on the matter.

For your fourth statement, on vowels, I don't really understand what a barred I is or what X-SAMPA is. This is the beginners corner and I think there's a pretty clear reason as to why I post here [:P]

EDIT: for your fourth statement again, many people have commented on how my vowels are a little strange... I don't quite understand how /a/ /ɛ/ and /o/ clash much with /ɯ/... I mean I guess I could replace /ɯ/ with /ɨ/ but it wouldn't make much of a difference in the way I pronounce it, I can barely tell much of a difference... korean has all four of the vowels that I use... is korean abnormal when it comes to that? it has /ɯ/ and /u/, /o/ /a/ /ɛ/ and /e/.... I guess I just don't fully understand it much, me being a noob and everything :P. Whatever, I'll switch it out just for you I suppose. I'll look into how to properly pronounce it I suppose :)

EDIT AGAIN: yeah I'm Sorry I hate that sound I just cant...
Last edited by Taurenzine on 29 Jan 2017 21:30, edited 2 times in total.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Taurenzine wrote:For your fourth statement, on vowels, I don't really understand what a barred I is or what X-SAMPA is. This is the beginners corner and I think there's a pretty clear reason as to why I post here [:P]
X-SAMPA is basically IPA for when you're stuck on ASCII. It looks awful and IMO we don't really need it not that we've got Unicode, unless your computer can't handle it. Few people nowadays bother to learn it (myself included) and if you don't want to you don't need to.

As for what barred-I is, it's /ɨ/, which represents a close-central unrounded vowel. If I guess right in you being American, then it's the second vowel in roses.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Frislander wrote:
Taurenzine wrote:For your fourth statement, on vowels, I don't really understand what a barred I is or what X-SAMPA is. This is the beginners corner and I think there's a pretty clear reason as to why I post here [:P]
X-SAMPA is basically IPA for when you're stuck on ASCII. It looks awful and IMO we don't really need it not that we've got Unicode, unless your computer can't handle it. Few people nowadays bother to learn it (myself included) and if you don't want to you don't need to.

As for what barred-I is, it's /ɨ/, which represents a close-central unrounded vowel. If I guess right in you being American, then it's the second vowel in roses.
So I looked into the /ɨ/ sound, and found it irritating to pronounce... when I tried pronouncing roses with /ɨ/, I seemed to imitate an accent that I can only connect to a western/Texas accent. from this info I have to assume that you are not american, because a western/Texas accent is the most stereotypically american accent. Personally I would say I pronounce roses with an /ɪ/ or an /ø/... so Yeah, maybe you are assuming My dialect? Idk.. the US is a big country, with a lot of stupid people (Goddamn it Trump you are the most racist president we've had in the past 70 years...)
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Taurenzine wrote:
Spoiler:
Frislander wrote:

So I looked into the /ɨ/ sound, and found it irritating to pronounce... when I tried pronouncing roses with /ɨ/, I seemed to imitate an accent that I can only connect to a western/Texas accent. from this info I have to assume that you are not american, because a western/Texas accent is the most stereotypically american accent. Personally I would say I pronounce roses with an /ɪ/ or an /ø/... so Yeah, maybe you are assuming My dialect? Idk.. the US is a big country, with a lot of stupid people (Goddamn it Drumpf you are the most racist president we've had in the past 70 years...)
The US indeed is a big country but I'd say that the UK is a good deal more dialectally diverse, and most British people wouldn't be really aware of dialectal differentiation bar being able to pick out a deep southern accent.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

So! My big question here is whether or not my concept of unreleased sounds is correct or incorrect. So! I am going to give some examples in Korean (yes I am making a lot of references to Korean these days) show what I believe to be is there IPA equivalent, and then you guys will tell me TRUE or FALSE.

1. 먹 - /mɑk̚/

2. 밥 - /pap̚/

3. 싶 - /ɕip̚/

Now Give you your answers! I am ready to learn whether or not I am completely wrong.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Frislander wrote:
Taurenzine wrote:
Spoiler:
Frislander wrote:

So I looked into the /ɨ/ sound, and found it irritating to pronounce... when I tried pronouncing roses with /ɨ/, I seemed to imitate an accent that I can only connect to a western/Texas accent. from this info I have to assume that you are not american, because a western/Texas accent is the most stereotypically american accent. Personally I would say I pronounce roses with an /ɪ/ or an /ø/... so Yeah, maybe you are assuming My dialect? Idk.. the US is a big country, with a lot of stupid people (Goddamn it Drumpf you are the most racist president we've had in the past 70 years...)
The US indeed is a big country but I'd say that the UK is a good deal more dialectally diverse, and most British people wouldn't be really aware of dialectal differentiation bar being able to pick out a deep southern accent.
Don't worry, I'm really not blaming you for anything, I'm just saying that you are thinking of the wrong dialect. Not a big issue, don't worry about it [:D]
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Forget about my last post asking questions on unreleased plosives, I have my answer. My answer is that I was correct. Now for info on how I'm going to use these unreleased plosives: ONLY AT THE END OF A SYLLABLE WHEN THERE IS NO SYLLABLE THAT COMES AFTER IT WILL UNRELEASED PLOSIVES BE USED. That's why an unreleased glottal stop makes sense, (it wouldn't make any sense if it came before another syllable) so yeah.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Once again, I'm going to make a change to my phonology... I'm removing all of the unreleased ending plosives, I don't like them anymore. Yes, I'm basing all of what I'm making mainly on what I like and what I don't like, but I don't think that's an issue. I want to like the language I make, so I think its a + if anything. so yeah, Back to no plosives at all on the coda.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Taurenzine wrote:Once again, I'm going to make a change to my phonology... I'm removing all of the unreleased ending plosives, I don't like them anymore. Yes, I'm basing all of what I'm making mainly on what I like and what I don't like, but I don't think that's an issue. I want to like the language I make, so I think its a + if anything. so yeah, Back to no plosives at all on the coda.
TBH, is there anyone here who's stuck with a feature/project they didn't like? I certainly haven't, indeed my problem is with sticking with projects.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Frislander wrote:
Taurenzine wrote:Once again, I'm going to make a change to my phonology... I'm removing all of the unreleased ending plosives, I don't like them anymore. Yes, I'm basing all of what I'm making mainly on what I like and what I don't like, but I don't think that's an issue. I want to like the language I make, so I think its a + if anything. so yeah, Back to no plosives at all on the coda.
TBH, is there anyone here who's stuck with a feature/project they didn't like? I certainly haven't, indeed my problem is with sticking with projects.
i wouldn't say that's a problem, that's good if anything. I have a problem NOT sticking to projects. It gets irritating because motivation is an issue sometimes, but so far for my language it's been much less of an issue. Because I can just do it in my spare time and be done w/ it (of course it will take a lot of time to do).
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Idea: have the labialized variants of the consonants become aspirated word finally. Some of the Native American languages in the northeast have this.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Ælfwine wrote:Idea: have the labialized variants of the consonants become aspirated word finally. Some of the Native American languages in the northeast have this.
The Idea is appreciated, and it is Accepted! It's a great Idea, and I will add it into my language :)