Having trouble building vocabulary.

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Fitheach
rupestrian
rupestrian

Having trouble building vocabulary.

Post by Fitheach »

Hi, So first post here.

I've picked an inventory of phonemes, have a general idea of how I want to do grammar, and even have a rough idea of how I want to develop this language.

Right now I am having trouble finding resources explain, or answering my last big puzzle and that is how to take words from a proto-language and shift them into the sounds that this intended conlang has. I'm running from Proto-Celtic and looking to import vocabulary from proto-celtic but am unsure if there are rules or how I should have sounds shift from proto-Celtic to the ones my conlang has.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Having trouble building vocabulary.

Post by elemtilas »

Fitheach wrote:Hi, So first post here.

I've picked an inventory of phonemes, have a general idea of how I want to do grammar, and even have a rough idea of how I want to develop this language.

Right now I am having trouble finding resources explain, or answering my last big puzzle and that is how to take words from a proto-language and shift them into the sounds that this intended conlang has. I'm running from Proto-Celtic and looking to import vocabulary from proto-celtic but am unsure if there are rules or how I should have sounds shift from proto-Celtic to the ones my conlang has.
You'd probably want to find historical grammars of Welsh and Gaelic in order to see how PrCelt turned eventually into Old Welsh and Old Irish respectively. (Unfortunately, I don't know any names off hand!)

Are you actually working on an historically plausible Celtic language? Or is it just a more-or-less Celtic aesthetic that draws you?
Clio
sinic
sinic

Re: Having trouble building vocabulary.

Post by Clio »

There's also the Index Diachronica, which has information on sound shifts for many languages and families, including some on Celtic in section 17.5. The Index is probably an especially good resource since you can also look a bit at other families' histories. You might find more in Krzysztof Jaskuła's Ancient Sound Changes and Old Irish Phonology (but I haven't read it yet, so no promises) if you want to understand Old Irish in particular.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad