What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Egerius »

I decided on a part of my Pseudo-Christian creation myth for my Pseudo-Roman rodents, which tells how they came to Rodentèrra in a half-mythical way. The space ship that transported my con people's ancestors to their world is called a "spear".
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

While in my algebra class I came up with a tricon language spoken close to Pazmat, both languages influencing each other. Well, I came up with nothing other than templates and how weak verbs are handled:

CaCCus:
k-t-n: katnus
s-y-m: *saymus > semus
v-x-r: vaxrus
y-v-y: *yavyus > yoyus

CraCaC:
kratan
srayam
*vraxar > uraxar
*yravay > irave

CsaCiC:
aksatin
assayim
*vsaxir > usaxir
*ysawiy > isavī

<v> denotes a sound which alternates between /w/ and a labiodental approximant, hence why it makes roots weak and vocalizes as /u/. Unlike Arabic, CC clusters are allowed word-initially as long as the second consonant is a resonant (which is why <srayam kratan> are acceptable but <*ksatin *ssayim> become <aksatin assayim>). If I ever do get to work on this language and flesh it out, it'll be highly analytic (like English) but with incredibly rich derivation.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Wanted to do some conlanging today but then I got smashed in the face with a cripplingly painful migraine and haven't been able to get much done.

kayotsiktanwarohtat hatsheikyohteiat tshekeni
ka-yo-t-sik-tan-waro-ht-at ha-tshe-i-kyo-hte-i-at tshe-0-ken-i
FUT-1sg.A-2sg.P-grass-cut-agree-BEN-2sg.SUB TEMP-2sg.A-1sg.P-money-give-SUB-2sg.SUB 2sg.A-3ns.O-owe-SUB
I'll agree to cut the grass for you when you give me the money that you owe.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

This wasn't today per se. More like yesterday. I have started a Tumblr blog for my new conlang project, Goron Moþ. As of now I'm outlining the grammar of its mother lang, Proto-Goron. IDK why I didn't just make a thread on here, and I might do that too anyways [:P].
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Chagen wrote:While in my algebra class I came up with a tricon language spoken close to Pazmat, both languages influencing each other. Well, I came up with nothing other than templates and how weak verbs are handled:

CaCCus:
k-t-n: katnus
s-y-m: *saymus > semus
v-x-r: vaxrus
y-v-y: *yavyus > yoyus

CraCaC:
kratan
srayam
*vraxar > uraxar
*yravay > irave

CsaCiC:
aksatin
assayim
*vsaxir > usaxir
*ysawiy > isavī
Hmm I'm going to have to steal that last pattern.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I made a backstory for story, which serves as the premise for my game or novel:
There were three mage factions that violently opposed each other, but eventually united when they realized, despite their ideological differences, that they had more ideological similarities as well.

They formed a magocratic union called The Triad of Magi whose influence spread across continents. To spread their influence they formed an Army called Talum Řaẏya.

Eventually the Triad bit more than they could chew and came into opposition with the Qamic Empire. They found themselves in a war against an army whose forces outmatched and outnumbered them.

Desperate to win, the Triad utilized all of their knowledge of teleportation magic to open up a portal to a dimension known as Akrideas so that they could look for resources that they could use to destroy their enemies, especially the elusive "akhmeth", a powerful metal that contains magical properties.

Sending their Talum Řaẏya, they discovered the akhmeth they sought, but they also came across the creatures that inhabited Akrideas, realizing they were the creatures that their ancestors had met long ago, known as the Ḵsinesir.

The Triad and their Talum feared their power and sought to destroy them. The feelings of Ḵsinesir were mutual and, having seen the aggressiveness of the human world, sought to eliminate their presence.

So begins yet another war, but the main story focuses on two brothers, their sister and their childhood friend as they are tasked with ending it once and for all.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 21 Oct 2014 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

The last couple of weeks I've been working on my Oscan descendent. I can just tell that vocabulary will be the hardest part (which I always struggle with anyway). But here's a sneak peak, using sound changes that I think gets me to the second millenium:

Januaṡi, febraṡi, mâmerzi, àprilé, mai, jûni, lûli, seftember, ôzzuber, nouember, dechember.
[ˈjanwazi ˈfɛbrazi ˈmaːmɛrtsi ˈaprile, maj, ˈjuːni, ˈluːli, ˈsɛftɛmbɛr, ˈoːttsubɛr, ˈnɔwɛmbɛr ˈdɛkɛmbɛr]

Nothing is set in stone yet, and I won't make a thread until I have more to post and when I have more time to work on it. PS sorry to those who like the Oscan script but I couldn't really justify a minority language of Uéteglio [ˈwetɛʎʎo̝] (Italy) keeping its script, and so instead it has a pseudo-Italian transcription.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

kanejam wrote:The last couple of weeks I've been working on my Oscan descendent. I can just tell that vocabulary will be the hardest part (which I always struggle with anyway).
Mihi placuit - I like it.

I've been collecting dated samples of Romanz and the old, basically dead third SPAM thread. Just for future reference.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Trying out a slightly different phonology for that sketch I posted earlier:

hàʔkáchę̂ikǫ̀rúskâihtâi chę́k káyǫ̀ʔùtáríʔǫ́mąsûtèʔì
hàʔ-ká-chę̂-i-kǫ̀rú-skâi-ht-âi chę́k ká-yǫ̀-ʔù-tárí-ʔǫ́m-ą-sû-tè-ʔì
COND-FUT-2sg.A-1sg.P-bow-relinquish-BEN-1sg.SUB 2sg.GEN FUT-1sg.A-boy-arrow-make-EPEN-teach-start-SUB
If you'll lend me your bow, I'll start teaching the boy to make arrows.

My shitty twitter
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Micamo wrote:Trying out a slightly different phonology for that sketch I posted earlier:

COND-FUT-2sg.A-1sg.P-bow-relinquish-BEN-1sg.SUB 2sg.GEN FUT-1sg.A-boy-arrow-make-EPEN-teach-start-SUB
Ogoneks = nasal?
Accents = tone?
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Micamo wrote:Trying out a slightly different phonology for that sketch I posted earlier:

Ogoneks = nasal?
Accents = tone?
Yes: Vowels without a tone marking are tonally neutral, and can be pronounced with either a high or a low tone according to speaker preference. (Only marked syllables can be produced with a falling tone, though.)

My shitty twitter
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Micamo wrote:Yes: Vowels without a tone marking are tonally neutral, and can be pronounced with either a high or a low tone according to speaker preference. (Only marked syllables can be produced with a falling tone, though.)
Personally, I find it unlikely for the realisation of tonally undetermined vowels to be left up to the speaker. May I suggest an alternative based on the realisation of unmarked tone in Mandarin? (← The only tonal natlang I speak fluently).

After a high tone 55, the neutral tone is realised as 3.

After a low tone 22, the neutral tone is realised as 5.

After a falling tone 51, the neutral tone is realised as 2.

Just a suggestion. Ignore or adjust as you see fit. [:)]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Micamo wrote:Yes: Vowels without a tone marking are tonally neutral, and can be pronounced with either a high or a low tone according to speaker preference. (Only marked syllables can be produced with a falling tone, though.)
Personally, I find it unlikely for the realisation of tonally undetermined vowels to be left up to the speaker. May I suggest an alternative based on the realisation of unmarked tone in Mandarin? (← The only tonal natlang I speak fluently).

After a high tone 55, the neutral tone is realised as 3.

After a low tone 22, the neutral tone is realised as 5.

After a falling tone 51, the neutral tone is realised as 2.

Just a suggestion. Ignore or adjust as you see fit. [:)]
Interesting; I'll have to look more into it.

My shitty twitter
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMN3BVISmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfuVclkmDPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7pc2Q6XFI

I first read about how Australian Aborigines & Native Americans knapped glass chunks (from bottle-bottoms or old insulators) that they found into spearpoints and arrowheads - resourcefully ingenious! Glass can flake to a finer edge than most rocks, is easier to work with, and thanks to Coca Cola, Pepsi Corp and a host of Beer companies, (broken) glass bottles are a lot more plentiful than flint or obsidian or chert.
Today's trash becomes tomorrow's post-apocalyptic survival strategy.

I'll bring my bow... and some glass bottles.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I'm debating adding an augmentative and a diminutive to Pazmat, and then using the former for comparing adjectives. I'm thinking an infix connected to the post-positional intensive particle allu (bīntū nidhū "a big problem", bīntū nidhū allu "a really/very big problem"; ḥrautina "I am running", ḥrautina allu "I am running a lot"). Something like -al: guyyō "breast"; guṣṣralō "huge breasts"

I don't know about the diminutive, though. Perhaps something from jṇb- "young"; guṣṣanbō "small breast;flat chest"
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Chagen wrote:...Something like -al: guyyō "breast"; guṣṣralō "huge breasts"

I don't know about the diminutive, though. Perhaps something from jṇb- "young"; guṣṣanbō "small breast;flat chest"
...Pazmat danbooru tags?

My shitty twitter
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Perhaps, I can't help being a perverted guy sometimes [xP]

In other news, I started work on a Pazmat story, something that would be told to kids, about the importance of ḥīsnayyō or "civic duty". It starts off like so:
Spoiler:
Wurfarā veḥū. "Vṛkīyarā" wurfrāyīm. Qa zraurāyīm allu, vṛkī veḥū.
There was a boy. He was named Vrkiyara. And much like his name, he was bold.

Ūṣrāya kthrīyevyū, nējnīyya awas.
He feared nothing, not even his parents.

Kāyarā yatīya, cṛsūrawīm nartrīyyīm maxarīya, vētavyū.
His mind focused on things like girls and games.

Ḥīsnaṣṣrāya wāśpovyū, urva ṛgarāva.
He abandoned his civic duty whenever it was possible.

"Haḥ, miyā urwar mṛjharatha? Bṛnjā Parsā vanīm yaṣṣi, varśnāva urrāva draḥī na zṛtīya arsaṣṣi!"
"Bleh, who wants to work all day? Mother and Father certainly don't, I hear them making babies every night!"*

Izijhī mrem. Nikrisā, Mṛdirū, urva koṣrutha na wurfarā maxīm swātīm matū
He was crude too. His sister, Mrdiru, had always thought that he spoke like a criminal.

Nikrisāyīm, Mṛdirū zraurāyīm allu mrem. Ḥisnaṣṣrāyīm ūṣrāya kāṣrāva zoydautivyū.
Speaking of his siter, Mrdiru was also much like her name. She put nothing above her civic duty.

Ḥīsanīṣṣ "Janbarā vonarā yetha!" matiruguḥ. Dṛk Vṛkīṣrāyīm, woḥīm allu vētaṣṣnāya sīguḥ...
The other citizens said "She's the perfect child!". But, for Vṛkiyara, they had nothing but criticism...

*: "making babies every night" is a literal translation of what he said, not a liberal translation [xP]
Once I improve my pronunciation I might try to actually record this. You know, to finally get a feel for what this language sounds like.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Chagen wrote:Perhaps, I can't help being a perverted guy sometimes [xP]
My Haneko glossary has a verb, tipotaye, which means "to have big boobs." I remember that I wrote it down because I had an amusing etymology for it in mind, but I neglected to write down the actual etymology and now I've forgotten what it was.

There is a verb though manataye which means "to experience puberty", literally meaning "to grow boobs." Amusingly, it's used for both boys and girls.

Anyway, overhauling Tazaric morphology, again:

Code: Select all

"boy"/"boys"

ACC   | NOM   | GEN   | LOC
SG      - ǁkùt  | ǁkìt  | ǁkòt  | ǁkṳ̀t
PL      - ǁkúùt | ǁkíìt | ǁkóòt | ǁkṳ́ṳ̀t
CONS.SG - ǁkùn  | ǁkìn  | ǁkòn  | ǁkṳ̀n
CONS.PL - ǁkúùn | ǁkíìn | ǁkóòn | ǁkṳ́ṳ̀n

"good boy"/"good boys"

ACC        | NOM        | GEN        | LOC
SG - bɜ́r ǁkùn   | bɔ́r ǁkìn   | bɜ̤́r ǁkòn   | bér ǁkṳ̀n
PL - bɜ́ɜ̀r ǁkúùn | bɔ́ɔ̀r ǁkíìn | bɜ̤́ɜ̤̀r ǁkóòn | béèr ǁkṳ́ṳ̀n
This version is (ultimately) more complex, but also more internally consistent.

My shitty twitter
taylorS
sinic
sinic

Post by taylorS »

I have given up trying to turn the English system of auxiliary verbs into TAM prefixes in Future English, verb-fronting in interrogative sentences and the way "-n't" verbal negation works fucks it up. Back to the drawing board... :mrred:
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I made a thread! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4264