A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Chagen
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Chagen »

Micamo wrote:
Chagen wrote:Perhaps, I can't help being a perverted guy sometimes [xP]
My Haneko glossary has a verb, tipotaye, which means "to have big boobs." I remember that I wrote it down because I had an amusing etymology for it in mind, but I neglected to write down the actual etymology and now I've forgotten what it was.

There is a verb though manataye which means "to experience puberty", literally meaning "to grow boobs." Amusingly, it's used for both boys and girls.
Hah, and I know girls who immediately freak out if you start talking about boobs around them.

With the work on the story above, I decided to specify what kind of myths the Paz tell. Details are still being put in place, but the idea is that their stories center around yēśuḥ (sg. yēśīḥ), or "heroes", who rise up above their human nature and perform incredible heroic acts so they're basically Exalted. Gods do not play a role at all; the Paz have none, instead believing in two nonsentient forces: Qedhanā, "righteousness", and Kīrśamā "Corruption, Evil", which make up the universe. These forces are at eternal war with each other due to their conflicting natures and "exalt" certain humans in these myths into yēśuḥ (scare quotes because once again, they are non-sentient; it's more that these humans just draw in the power of these forces from their personal abilities and talents). Of course, Kīrśamā and its ascended humans always lose, but they eternally keep trying.

Vrkiyara and Mrdiru up there are to-be yēśuḥ; Mrdiru grows up from Loli Jesus to...Adult Woman Jesus and runs an empire, managing to utterly block off Kīrśamā entirely and making a literal heaven on Earth (which is supposed to be damn-near impossible), Vrkiyara becomes a manly hero whose main accomplishments are slaying several horrible creatures like a sentient mountain and having such amazing sex with this princess that he managed to cure of her of Corruption-gifted Magic AIDS.

Unlike many myths in the real world, these are not part of a religion; they are acknowledged to be fiction all the way back to the earlier Pazmat records of them, and the forces of the universe aren't worshipped or feared; it's more that the Paz work to influence Qedhanā to them and repel Kīrśamā. They are not things to be revered but more are things which simply must be controlled as much as humans can. Since they are non-sentient, praying to or cursing them doesn't really...do anything.

I might change this and actually create a system with sentient gods and stuff but that might be TOO Exalted. I like the idea of non-sentient forces making up the universe, I might add a few more representing other aspects. I also probably need a creation myth (right now I just "The world was formed from an anomalous concentration of Qedhanā", which isn't really much).
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

kanejam wrote:PS sorry to those who like the Oscan script but I couldn't really justify a minority language of Uéteglio [ˈwetɛʎʎo̝] (Italy) keeping its script, and so instead it has a pseudo-Italian transcription.
You should invent an Oscan-descendant speaking conlanger who adapts the Oscan script to the language and then posts about it on the CBB.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Kanejam, your Oscan descendant is the perfect language to be used in the "Be one of your Conpeople"-Thread. It's best served pre-modern (somewhere between late Antiquity and the 19th century, as Ahzoh wishes).

I thought about some Buonavallese music, in the fashion of Old Roman and Beneventan plainchant used in medieval churches.
It's just bad that I neither know how to write musical scores nor have time or silence to record my idea on my phone. The lyrics are safe, however.

I also thought about deriving the Romanz word for 'being of our people' from VIR (or a derivation of it), rather than from HOMO, as the latter one would mean 'demigod', which reflects my con people's descendants from earthly rodents.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I know how to prononce Cthulhu's native name!

Khlûl'-hloo (IPA: [ˈχɬʊl.ɬuː])
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

While working I created a really devious Pazmat tongue-twister:

vajrīṣṣva vṛkṣaṣrīṣṣva vṛvāya vṛśaśva
[va.dʑɻiːʂː.va vr̩k.ʂa.ʂɻiːʂː.va vr̩.vaː.ja vr̩.ɕa.ɕva]
We darken the line near the old trees
taylorS
sinic
sinic

Post by taylorS »

Never mind what I posted above about Future English, I found a solution! :mrgreen:

Dyinōgêfmyē?
[djinɔːˈgeːmːjɛː]
d-yi-nō-gêf-mi-ē
Q-2SG-NEG-give.PST-1SG-3SG.N
"Didn't you give me it?

Interrogative Sentences:
Initial dummy "do/did" becomes reduced to an invariant prefix and analogy restores the TAM marking on the lexical verb stem.

Verbal Negation:
Basically, the -n't clitic was destroyed by phonetic reduction by around AD 2800. Uncliticized "not" takes over.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

taylorS wrote:Never mind what I posted above about Future English, I found a solution! :mrgreen:

Dyinōgêfmyē?
"Didn't you give me it?
Will Future English allow variants, like, say:

D'nōyigêfmyē?
[dɪnɔːˈjigeːmːjɛː]
d-nō-yi-gêf-mi-ē
Q-NEG-2SG-give.PST-1SG-3SG.N
"Didn't you give me it? :?:

It seemed to me when I lived back Stateside that I heard, more ground-gainingly often than I would have liked, hypercorrect (underhypercorrected?) forms like, "Has not he been to the market yet?", "Did not you give it to me?". Or do AD 2800 prescriptivists win this round? [xP] I don't know if you've addressed this elsewhere, but does Future English level differences across the pond and those of our friends in another hemisphere? (if you have, could you point me in the right direction?)
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I did a write-up on letter-writing for my Kankonian page.

A Kankonian letter has four parts. The first part is the address of the sender, written at the top. The sender's name is included before his or her address. The second part is the opener. The opener consists simply of the addressee's name (there is no word for "dear" in Kankonian) eollowed by two commas (the equivalent of a semicolon). The third part is the body of the letter. The fourth part is the closing. Normally this consists of the word "azilingo" (sincerely), followed by a comma, and then the sender's name on the same line. However, if a signature is included, the word "azilingo" will be followed by two commas, then room will be made for the signature, then the next line will be the sender's name.

Every part of a Kankonian letter written left-to-right is on the left, except for the address at the top, which is left-justified but on the top right side of the page.

Example letter:

_____________________________________________________Adru Keziri Don
_____________________________________________________1214 Lat na Agna
_____________________________________________________Marsapiya 34.3199

Sia,,

Hai! Hiel tzenethenas hel ar mui Tom me? Emiyait ad is ireras hous ekkhi ad Gomateti azid deir ataden.

Is itrihien a Nolata hel sayupbein zash Randra ad is niwas 5 e 10 mui 15 e 10. Mos wir en els, wir emen vugis hel bad oor pumath. Wan aspen nawetz wir av wan pteugen arig ab sto ash fega tzakava. Muye wir emen layas verimes az as sherm na yara, oor pupoa mui zamalipu. Wir ovayen sii bovokharden pupu somsum.

Kam huwos wir nuisenen er Anshpir Anoko. Ham as durwur na anshpires tri argi er Yaras Tzelshas mui beikulsas er Atapihaki. Met az er wir nuisenen as er Vo'udzhi. Mem hiren ad wir layas stalsas Tzelshik er dazhuules na wir, goka* av dansugar akranen hes ye gaga ofas mui hhalpeo wan teyeven wan mui wan phalushizen spash soma na Randra! Wir shwanetzen uhu ad akkukhu helesit Na-Issadzhi, az er wir phoren saphavas. Az shaiyi*es os pirsenen as venit!

Derikh wir amauren kam 15 e 10 az as senkti ad higol ad nagar. Is azfuiras az is prebetos ar kam blattreilam! Ayinet ad is woving debis.

Azilingo, Don

_____________________________________________________Adru Technetium Don
_____________________________________________________1214 Agna St.
_____________________________________________________Marsapiya 34.3199

Dear Sia,

Hi! What has been going on with you and Tom recently? Tell me more about the vacation to Gomateti you made.

I traveled to Nolaata with my boyfriend Randra between 5-10 and 15-10. While we were there, we saw a shovel-headed snake. It seemed to taunt us when it stuck its tongue out from its position on the tzakava tree. We also saw a number of the birds that are native to the island, such as a pupo'a and a zamaliipu. We watched a si'i devour a delicious worm.

At night we stayed at the Aanooko Hotel. This is the biggest hotel chain in the Tzelshas Islands, centered in Ataapihaki. The one we stayed at was in Vo'uji. They served us a number of Tzelshan dishes in our suites, although when the bellboy brought out the gaga ofos and hhalpeo, he dropped it and it spilt all over Randra's tank top! We had the joy of going to an akkukhu named Na-Issaji, whereat we got saphavas. Good thing the flames didn't spread!

We finally came back home on 15-10, in time to go back to work. I hope to see you on the twenty-seventh! Give me a call sometime.

Sincerely,

Don
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

Working on a syllabary for ’iiƞìm. Whenever I make a conscript, I get worried that some of the characters would somehow be offensive or something, so if you see something like that, point it out.
Spoiler:
The first rows say:
mi ma mu ni na nu ƞi ƞa ƞu
pi pa pu ti ta tu ki ka ku ’i ’a ’u
i a u á a à

After that, every other possible syllable is listed in the same order.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

The only thing "offensive" is that it would be absolute murder for a dyslexic. But, had you not used the word, it's not the one I'd've chosen.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Another topic inspired me to work on Pazmat greetings and thank-you's and all that stuff, and now I have two different forms of "thank you" depending on the social status of the two people in the conversation.

If you're of lower status, you say jhāye śaufe, literally "you're raining on me". To be rained on is good in Paz society because rain is really rare in the deserts where they originally lived. The statement has a humble sense of "Oh, I don't really deserve what you've done for me but thank you for being so kind and caring for such a lowly person like myself".

If you're of higher status, you say jadhīm kṛnāv, short for jadhīm kṛnāv burstī "I feel good to you", which sounds weird when translated because English makes it sound like the speaker is appealing to the listener. A better literal translation would be "I feel good things towards you".

I also have a base idea of what the writing system will be like: somewhat archaic, though easy to figure out. The ablaut variants are still written as long and overlong vowels. The retroflexes are written by ligatures of the palatal consonants with the letter for <r>.
torrent
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by torrent »

Today I came up with the phonology for an experimental conlang based on Manadarin Erhua. This included coming up with all 15 consonants and 18 vowels, and the resulting 130+ syllables, in addition to all of the Erhua rules itself and modifying them to make it simpler and more efficient with American pronunciation.
Last edited by torrent on 28 Oct 2014 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
taylorS
sinic
sinic

Post by taylorS »

Lao Kou wrote:Will Future English allow variants, like, say:

D'nōyigêfmyē?
[dɪnɔːˈjigeːmːjɛː]
d-nō-yi-gêf-mi-ē
Q-NEG-2SG-give.PST-1SG-3SG.N
"Didn't you give me it? :?:

It seemed to me when I lived back Stateside that I heard, more ground-gainingly often than I would have liked, hypercorrect (underhypercorrected?) forms like, "Has not he been to the market yet?", "Did not you give it to me?". Or do AD 2800 prescriptivists win this round? [xP] I don't know if you've addressed this elsewhere, but does Future English level differences across the pond and those of our friends in another hemisphere? (if you have, could you point me in the right direction?)
Interesting, what part of the US did you live in? I live in the Upper Midwest and I have never heard "did not he". Maybe I could use that form, instead! :mrgreen:

I have English spawn a whole language family, with my Future English just being one. The Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and South Africans all spawned separate sub-families. My Future English is derived mainly from the Cot-Caught merged dialects of the US and Canada, which all seem to be currently having similar vowel shifts.
taylorS
sinic
sinic

Post by taylorS »

I have decided that the English R is going ti stay /ɻ/ in Future English, and I'm going to have /l/ shift to /w/ and /u/, instead.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

taylorS wrote:I have decided that the English R is going ti stay /ɻ/ in Future English, and I'm going to have /l/ shift to /w/ and /u/, instead.
Are you basing this off a dialect where <r> is /ɻ/? I thought your English descendant was American based. Is there an American dialect with /ɻ/? Or do you have /ɹ/ shifting to /ɻ/ sometime in the future?
taylorS
sinic
sinic

Post by taylorS »

shimobaatar wrote:
taylorS wrote:I have decided that the English R is going ti stay /ɻ/ in Future English, and I'm going to have /l/ shift to /w/ and /u/, instead.
Are you basing this off a dialect where <r> is /ɻ/? I thought your English descendant was American based. Is there an American dialect with /ɻ/? Or do you have /ɹ/ shifting to /ɻ/ sometime in the future?
Wait, I thought the retroflex IS the typical realization of R in American English? it certainly is in my dialect.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

taylorS wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Wait, I thought the retroflex IS the typical realization of R in American English? it certainly is in my dialect.
a few posts up, taylorS wrote:I live in the Upper Midwest
I live around Philadelphia, and here it's /ɹ/. I'm pretty sure that's the rhotic in General American, too. When you say "Upper Midwest", do you mean the area around Minnesota/North Dakota/South Dakota/Wisconsin? I guess you guys have /ɻ/, then. It's not a huge difference, so it's definitely possible.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

taylorS wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:It seemed to me when I lived back Stateside that I heard, more ground-gainingly often than I would have liked, hypercorrect (underhypercorrected?) forms like, "Has not he been to the market yet?", "Did not you give it to me?".
Interesting, what part of the US did you live in? I live in the Upper Midwest and I have never heard "did not he".
I'm from New England. If it's a regionalism, so be it, but I've never thought of it as such, in the same way, say, as "The car needs fixed." or skin-crawl-inducing placement and usages of the word "yet". I think of it as a hypercorrection, like "between you and I" (which doesn't strike me as regional, and is gaining/has gained currency in (trying to sound) semi-formal and formal registers). The "Did not he" thing does not seem to have that kind of traction yet (to wit, you've never heard it), and seems to pop up when people want to sound a little hoity-toity (effect destroyed by its being incorrect, to me) or are being reprobatory (your mother's addressing you by your full name): "Did not I just tell you not to turn on the blender with your hand in it?" :roll:

And, unless memory fails, and it well might, I think this was touched upon in the never-ending second semester Linguistics 101 unit on transformational syntax, at a university not in New England, where we discussed how, if you applied negation, contraction, and interrogative auxiliary-fronting transformations in a different order, sentences of the above type are what you'd get as surface output. If these are just the delusions of a Kou, feel free to disregard. (Here in China, I'd do handsprings if someone produced a sentence like the above. [xP])
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
quadrilabial
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by quadrilabial »

to-day I worked out the phonemic inventory (and underlying distinctive feature system) of my consignlang and plundered the riches of SignWriting to construct a near-totally featural writing system for it. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be nigh-unwritable anyway.
Current projects: Tyaaehira
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Oy vey, I am tearing something in Pazmat down and rebuilding it again. This time it's the numbers, which will gain their own roots. 1-10 will be adjectives, the rest will be nouns that take a noun in the genitive.

Man, half the posts in the thread are invalidated by other posts later on. That place is a mess.