Your first conlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Your first conlang

Post by Lambuzhao »

ZedSed wrote:Hahaha. Wow! I just remembered my first conlang when I was about ten years old.

Actually it wasn't really a conlang. Just a cypher/language game. I had the idea to switch all the unvoiced plosives and fricatives with their voiced counterparts and vice versa. Also -r- and -l- were switched. I thought it was cool at the time, with kind of a russian feeling to it. Of course, I didn't know any actual russian back then.
SUPER double WOW!

Although I cannot remember exactly what :con: came first, I remember doing something very similar to what Zedsed said above. I think the language was called Muscan, and just for gaccas and giggles, in addition to making it more or less a subsitution cypher from (basolect: :eng: , pretty much) the words were backwards ! Freaky, I know.
(hey, this is 1978~9, folks, no CGI involved in the making of this :con: ). Muscan has its own funky silly alphabet (of course, relexed from those 26 Roman letters), which I actually changed some, and made the basis for the Hwa alphabet, of which some examples are floating around in the :con: Conversation Thread, in mostly brown or maroon ink (blood?).

Years later, some of these simple subsitutions became the basis for some of the sound changes from Rozwi to its sisterlang Kwijin. Even Gaelic like superlenition and debuccalization.

Another really early attempt of mine at conlanging was Wushnikaak, which was essentially an all-vowel language. Words were composed of smaller descriptive elements, so there were pronouns, nouns, adjectives, and maybe 5 verbs at most. So a concept like <river> would have been something like big long wet run . It had a simple alphabet, and really, really long words made up of monophthongs or diphthongs. The next step was the inclusion of a glottal stop and some kind of rhotic, though for some reason I didn't consider glides [j, w]. This language was meant to be sung or chanted or whatever, you know, to open up great stone doors, calm a storm, or summon the Great Conjunction, or what have you. When I started incorporating triphthongs, I figured I better stop, or I will continue to go crazy. God forbid if you had to ask "Could you please tell me where the outhouse is?", or even just "Outhouse" (!) in Wushnikaak.
Talk about a big long wet run [xP]

There were two other :con: that I made for this post-apocalyptic palinoneolithic culture (can you tell this is the Ronald Raygun 80's?+Morlocks+Planet of the Apes humanoids+ lordknowswhatelse). These langs where preposterously stereotypical gibberish of the "oonga boonga" sort, with some teenie influences from the Mangamani of Tarzan and language of Chaka from Land of the Lost.
The cool thing was I was exploring the concept of dialects, so even more of what Zedsed mentioned earlier (voicing, devoicing, frication, rhotacism/lambdacism; vowel fronting/backing, rounding/unrounding) was in full play between the two. Both used a runic/oghmaic scrawly script of lines drawn purposefully badly with my left hand (not my normal writing-paw). Though the languages are, well, real 6th grade (linguistic) science-fair calibre, I was using them to explore dialect drift, mutual intelligibility, sound shifts among other things. Kewl.
I have also found use in them by mining them for some words to use in Rozwi. So these peoples actually existed in my :con: world Tirga, and perhaps could be the ancestors of the Klae-Ungans, or at least the great-uncles & aunties of the Klae-Ungans.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

My first "conlang" was Chimneyspeak - invented when I was 4 years old to be spoken by a nation of sentient chimneys. The chimneys formed two castes (my penchant for stratified societies surfacing at an early age); the tall subservient chimneys, and the short ruling chimneys - and there were apparently differences in pronunciation between the two. According to my parents and relatives, I spoke Chimneyspeak fluently at the time and translated without hesitation any utterance put to me.

Unfortunately, due to unpardonable negligence on my parents' part, Chimneyspeak was never recorded and is now irrevocably lost to the mists of time.

One day, I'll make a conlang for the sentient chimneys of my enfance terrible.

I remember making some awful Latin-inspired monstrosity on holiday in Israel once. As far as I can remember, there were endless TAM combinations and all the endings were strings of uC suffixes... uzunum, uzunus, uzunumut or something along those lines.

However, I think those holiday jottings were the original ideas that gradually evolved into my ideas of Sōkoan, which I started developing for real about two years ago, and will one day be my masterpiece! So I guess Sōkoan was my first actual conlang.
Sangfroidish
greek
greek

Post by Sangfroidish »

DesEsseintes, you are my new favourite four year old.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Sangfroidish wrote:DesEsseintes, you are my new favourite four year old.
:mrgreen:
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Lonmai Luna/Liunan and Nevotak are my first named and worked conlangs, and they are still under construction now, although the current versions are more or less different from the original versions...
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Sangfroidish
greek
greek

Post by Sangfroidish »

DesEsseintes wrote:
So was this language designed for actual chimneys, or anthropomorphised chimneys with full-fledged mouths and shizz? Because I'm trying to think of a phoneme a sentient actual chimney could make and drawing nothing but blanks.
Unless it was a smoke-signal language, in which case your ability to speak it on demand made you a rather concerning child.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

The chimneys had arms and legs and could walk around (there exist drawings somewhere that illustrate this...). The patrician chimneys had long TV antennae to make up for their short stature, while the taller pleb chimneys had short antennae. Smoke came out of all the chimneys in equal measure. Did I mention that they lived - wait for it - in Chimneyland?

Although my memories of Chimneyspeak are faint to say the least, I have a feeling it was in many ways not unlike Sumerian, a language which - despite being precocious - I had no knowledge of at the time. [:P]
Edit: Wait, now that I think about it, I don't think the chimneys had arms, only legs...
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

DesEsseintes wrote:I remember making some awful Latin-inspired monstrosity on holiday in Israel once. As far as I can remember, there were endless TAM combinations and all the endings were strings of uC suffixes... uzunum, uzunus, uzunumut or something along those lines.
Replace <u> with <ů> and you're basically in the same place now! ;P
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

DesEsseintes wrote: and the short ruling chimneys -
Typical Napoleon complex here - constantly blowing their stacks!
Unfortunately, due to unpardonable negligence on my parents' part,
Ugh, that is so like parents! Although I did not generally use Wushnikaak for curses, I could dust off what frittered notes I have of it and cast some sort of spell that would give them, I dunno, spiders in their socks, or something like that.

Where the hell is a tape-recorder when you need one!?

One day, I'll make a conlang for the sentient chimneys of my enfance terrible.
Chim-chiminee-chim-chiminee
Chim-chim-cherreeee!
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Sangfroidish wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:
So was this language designed for actual chimneys, or anthropomorphised chimneys with full-fledged mouths and shizz? Because I'm trying to think of a phoneme a sentient actual chimney could make and drawing nothing but blanks.
Unless it was a smoke-signal language, in which case your ability to speak it on demand made you a rather concerning child.
Are you kidding?! From flue to hearth, we have the potential for some good soundmaking "pipes", not unlike the syrinx apparatus of birds, q.v.

Chimney vocal apparatus:
http://www.centralmasonryinc.com/images ... himney.png

Avian vocal apparatus
http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/images/syrinx.jpg

Granted, the Damper of a chimney is the main stopping mechanism, and it's pretty far down in the throat of the Chimney. Nonetheless, I'm sure a Chimney could break forth into joy if need be.
[;)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lambuzhao wrote:Chim-chiminee-chim-chiminee
Chim-chim-cherreeee!
Thu 08 May 2014, 14:53 [url=http://cbbforum.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=6&p=154447]Micamo[/url] wrote:Mithara distributive nouns are formed through initial syllable reduplication, with some complications:

yat "child" -> yay̓at
q̓ʷsa "head" -> saq̓ʷsa
huc "cloud" -> huʔac
tas "thread" -> tastas
c̓im "tree" -> c̓imc̓em (emphasis added by eldin raigmore)
łk̓ "trail" -> k̓iłk̓
sxs "fat" -> sixsxs
Relevant?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote:Chim-chiminee-chim-chiminee
Chim-chim-cherreeee!
Relevant?
[:(]

Dick Van Dyke thought so.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lambuzhao wrote: [:(] Dick Van Dyke thought so.
Sorry! [:$]
I meant, is Micamo's post relevant to your post?
Each of the two posts is (IMHO) relevant in the context in which the posters posted them.
But I noticed that they might be relevant to each other as well.
Does anyone else agree? :?:
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Micamo wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:I remember making some awful Latin-inspired monstrosity on holiday in Israel once. As far as I can remember, there were endless TAM combinations and all the endings were strings of uC suffixes... uzunum, uzunus, uzunumut or something along those lines.
Replace <u> with <ů> and you're basically in the same place now! ;P
Play nice, Micamo!

Besides, don't you see that the difference between u and ů is CONLANGING MATURITY? [:P]

(...and chimneys are waaaay cooler than dragons...) [}:D]
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Lambuzhao wrote: [:(] Dick Van Dyke thought so.
Sorry! [:$]
I meant, is Micamo's post relevant to your post?
Each of the two posts is (IMHO) relevant in the context in which the posters posted them.
But I noticed that they might be relevant to each other as well.
Does anyone else agree? :?:
c̓im "tree" is a Mithara root I picked out at complete random that I might change; I chose it as an example distributive form because it undergoes i > e ablaut.
DesEsseintes wrote:(...and chimneys are waaaay cooler than dragons...) [}:D]
Meh, after Skyrim I'm sortof all dragon'd-out anyway.

My shitty twitter
Incorruptus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Incorruptus »

Pukšete...česká wa? "Hello, how are you?" (Sort of...)

Maskųte is my first and, perhaps, only conlang. I MIGHT make some future phonological projections out of it, but this project is sort of my Quenya.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I must be the only one here who didn't start making conlangs until high school.

Indeed, I am honestly odd as hell amongst conlangers. Most of us seem to have always been intrigued by languages and were making them really on in our lives. I, on the other hand, spent my life all the way till high school with an absolute violent near-psychotic hatred of any language that was not English. In middle school I had to take a Spanish course, which I rejected with such loathing that I literally cannot remember a single second of it and pretty failed with like 30's. I did not do a single bit of work in that class, nor did I ever pay attention to the teacher and when she asked why I didn't do anything I just replied with "I'm not some stupid Mexican, why do I have to learn this stupid language?". I was basically "fuck everything that isn't English, all other languages are inferior and dumb". (I still feel terrible about saying that, I want to go back to that teacher and personally apologize for it)

Then I took German 1 in high school, originally ONLY because I thought the language's connection to English would make it more bearable. Then, and I still cannot remember why, I just took a gigantic literal 180 and fell in love with Linguistics and foreign languages, shooting far ahead of my peers in an instant.

Then I created Demonos, which sucked and had only English phonemes (plus dental fricatives, YUP. Oddly enough there was zero German influence, not even /y ø/, I think there was vowel length though), with an agglutinative verbal structure and this weird-as-hell polarity system where every verb could undergo some kind of internal mutation (I THINK it was ablaut) to create one with the "opposite" meaning, which I applied to way too many verbs to be realistic. There were articles and no case too, and I'm pretty sure I never figured out anything complex like subordinate/relative clauses. Man, I cared way too much about that language. I wrote entire fucking multi-page dialogues in it and spent so much time in class working on it. I can't believe I spent that much time on something that bad.

All I remember about it now was that the 1S pronoun was "gak" /gæk/.

I always found it funny how I spent roughly 80+% of my life hating foreign languages and now I'm on this forum geeking out over nonexistent foreign languages. The thing I once hated turned out to be one of my best talents.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena »

Like most of us I made some attempts at inventing words and alphabets when I was like 6...
I fell in love with conlanging when I decided to learn Esperanto so I started to fancy auxlangs. My first serious conlang was the latinior project (which means 'more latinish'), which was a hyper-regularized version of latin.

Well, unlike most of us I'm still in high school so I would consider myself still in the experimental phase of my abilities.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Speaking of conscripts, I made a Dragon Script in grade 8 under the impression of the Greek and Hebrew alphabets we were talking about in religion class (that palęographic interest survived the test of time of nearly 10 years).

I seem to have lost the original folio and the copy as well... The script was highly angular, had upper and lower case and its own symbols for a decimal number system.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

As a child I was more into conworlding than langing: One of the games I would play with myself was that I would see maps of places in patterns on the carpet of my bedroom floor, and I would imagine about the people who lived there and what the places were like.
Chagen wrote:I must be the only one here who didn't start making conlangs until high school.

Indeed, I am honestly odd as hell amongst conlangers. Most of us seem to have always been intrigued by languages and were making them really on in our lives. I, on the other hand, spent my life all the way till high school with an absolute violent near-psychotic hatred of any language that was not English.
No, my experience was rather similar. My scorn for other languages was one of dismissive apathy rather than outright hatred, though due to my conditioning against obvious racism I'd never have told you "Non-european languages are inferior to european ones", it's what I honestly believed; I'd have just found a way to phrase it to make it sound more objective, like "Non-european languages are too simple to be interesting" or something.

The first thing that got me into languages was my Latin teacher. Not my latin class, per se. My teacher was a polyglot who would go off on tangents explaining how things worked in other languages compared and contrasted to how they worked in Latin (like waffling on the intricacies of the dative case in German vs. the dative case in Latin). Now, to this day I hold there's no such thing as boring subjects, only boring teachers: A talented educator can make any subject appear to be the most important and fascinating thing in the world. It's him who got me into the idea of languages as information-structuring systems, which I was initially much more interested in than languages as art (though now I would say that in truly good conlangs, the properties that are interesting as information structure and the properties that are beautiful are inseparably intertwined).

Unfortunately while he was a very learned man his pool of references was mostly limited to the indo-european languages (though he also knew some Finnish and Ancient Hebrew); If he had ever cited Ilocano, Manambu, Warrongo, Limbu, Dholuo, Navajo, Oneida, or Hixkaryana in his lessons, perhaps I'd have gotten over my complex about non-european languages more quickly.

I let this fascination with information structure (already acquainted with the idea from my experience with programming) sit and fester for about a year before I did anything with it; I had access to everything I needed to delve into it, but I had no idea what linguistic typology even was or where to begin trying to learn about it. I actually thought the observation "Hey, different languages structure things in different ways, I wonder what the limits and patterns are?" was an original one! If I had looked into language typology then, I might never have gotten into conlanging at all: I was first introduced to conlanging with, of all things, a stumbleupon link to the Ardalambion page. While I knew that there were a lot of made-up words and sentences in Tolkien's books, I thought they were just gibberish he came up with until I read those pages, and discovered "Hey, there's a structure behind these!" Almost immediately I fell in love with the idea of inventing languages as a way to experiment and toy with different information structures.

My shitty twitter