ᵷ♫ᵽ

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Dezinaa
greek
greek

ᵷ♫ᵽ

Post by Dezinaa »

Warning: Please don't treat this seriously. It's what you might call a 'jokelang.' [;)]

The ᵷ♫ᵽ Language

About ᵷ♫ᵽ

ᵷ♫ᵽ is spoken by the socks that disappear in the dryer. Little do humans know that the socks teleport to a planet called ⌨&. These socks have googly eyes and a mouth that looks like the mouth of a sock puppet. Despite having no lips, tongue, teeth, lungs, or glottis, (or hands, since their language has phonemic clapping and snapping,) they are able to speak ᵷ♫ᵽ with ease.

Phonology

Below is the phonology of ᵷ♫ᵽ. As you can see, it has no unique features and is generally quite boring. Just kidding.

/k q ʡ ʔ/ <k q ʡ '>
/ɓ ɗ ɠ ʛ/ <b d g ᵷ>
/X ʁ ʜ ʢ/ <h ř x ʢ>
/ʙ r̼ ʙ̥ r̼̊/ <ḅ r ṗ ṙ/
/ʙ̝̊ r̼̝̊/ <ƀ ᵽ>
/ɰ/ <y>
/ǀ ! ǂ ǁ/ <t n c l>
/ʩ/ <v>
/↓ʁ̥ ↓ʁ̥ʷ/ <☺ ☹>
/ʌ/ <o>

Tones:
/ʌ̀ ʌ́ ʌ̌ ʌ̂/ <o o♩ o♫ o♬>

Other consonants:
⌨ - snap
% - clap
$ - cough
& - sneeze

Any implosive, voiced fricative, voiced trill, or vowel can be syllabic and have tone.

Word order

The basic word order is OSV. However, it becomes OVS if you had pancakes for breakfast that morning. But if you put butter on the pancakes after the syrup, the word order should be SVO.

Nouns

Nouns inflect for case, number, and favorite color. There are three numbers: singular, plural, and 27ular. Singular is formed with the prefix '$', and 27ular by reduplicating the word 27 times. Plural is the default number for all nouns, except the word for DVD box, 'dvdbox' /ɗʩɗɓʌʜ/, which is singular by default. The plural of 'dvdbox' is formed by complete reduplication of the verb (yes, the verb). But not if the DVD box's favorite color is aquamarine. In that case, the plural is formed with the infix '%%%%%%%%%%%', which goes just before the last consonant of /ɗʩɗɓʌʜ/. The 27ular of 'dvdbox' is formed like any other noun.

Examples:

dt☺ 'zippers'
> $dt☺ 'zipper'
> dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺dt☺ '27 zippers'

☹☺☹☺ 'pigs'
> $☹☺☹☺ 'pig'
> ☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺☹☺ '27 pigs'

Morphosynactic alignment

Words for animals commonly found in a zoo (such as giraffe, elephant, etc.) have tripartite alignment, while everything else has ergative-absolutive alignment. If it is a tuesday, all nouns are nominative-accusative (with marked nominative, of course), unless you trimmed your toenails on the previous day, in which case all nouns have neutral marking. This is an easy way for the socks to tell who is not a native of ⌨&, since socks have no toenails.

For tripartite nouns:
INTR: (unmarked)
ERG: rg-
ACC: lol-

For Ergative-absolutive nouns:
ERG: ḅ-
ABS: (unmarked)

On tuesdays:
NOM: ☺n-
ACC: (unmarked)

Verbs

There are two tenses: future and non-future. However, verbs having to do with building microphones and/or microwave ovens have five tenses: present, past, distant past, very distant past, and yesterday (hesternal).

FUT: (unmarked)
NFUT: xᵷ-

PRS: v⌨-
PST: ř♫q-
DISTPST: yo-
VRYDISTPST: llʡx-
HEST: nᵽ-

Adjectives

There are no adjectives in ᵷ♫ᵽ, which brings me to my next point...

Relative clauses

Relative clauses precede their head nouns. ᵷ♫ᵽ uses relative pronouns, even though it is not related to Indo-European languages (or any language). The relative pronoun is 'ᵷqh', and it decclines like a Nom-acc noun, even when it's not a tuesday.

Demonstratives

Demonstratives are prefixed onto a word. There are only eight distance contrasts: proximal, medial, near me/us and you, near him/her/it/them, right there, visible, far away visible, too far away to be seen (invisible).

PROX: r♬-
MEDL: xᵷ-
NEAR.1.2: ƀƀnṗ-
NEAR.3 ☹☹d♬-
RGHTHRE: ch-
VISBL: &&-
FAR: v$ᵽ-
NVISBL: ḅ♬⌨-

Questions and negatives

Polar questions are formed by adding the question particle '!ṙ' to the beginning of a sentence. To make a negative question, add '!ṙ' and remove the declarative prefix 'ƀʢx-'. Wh-questions are treated like normal declarative sentences. To make a negative sentence, remove the declarative prefix.

That's it for now. I'll try to post some sentences soon.
fivecountwings
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: ᵷ♫ᵽ

Post by fivecountwings »

Don't you hate it when you laugh out loud in a public place something you can't explain to any of the people around you giving you weird looks?

Please let your recording include the phrase "27 zippers."

This is awesome! [:D] [:D] I am now inspired to create a jokelang myself.
ạ ẹ ị ọ ụ ʉ̣ ɨ ɨ̣
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

ᵷ♫ᵽ is spoken by the socks that disappear in the dryer.
Are there different dialects depending on whether a sock was usually worn on a right or left foot?
Little do humans know that the socks teleport to a planet called ⌨&.
Obviously, all dryers contain wormholes, but the question remains: are these interdimensional wormholes, or does ⌨& exist in the same universe as Earth? Is ᵷ♫ᵽ the only language spoke on ⌨&, or are there others?
These socks have googly eyes and a mouth that looks like the mouth of a sock puppet.
Are these mutations caused by wormhole radiation?
Despite having no lips, tongue, teeth, lungs, or glottis, (or hands, since their language has phonemic clapping and snapping,) they are able to speak ᵷ♫ᵽ with ease.
Do they transmit these sounds to one another telepathically?
Below is the phonology of ᵷ♫ᵽ. As you can see, it has no unique features and is generally quite boring.
True, any language with less than 12 ingressives puts me to sleep.
The basic word order is OSV. However, it becomes OVS if you had pancakes for breakfast that morning. But if you put butter on the pancakes after the syrup, the word order should be SVO.
So does an individual's breakfast alter their personal word order for the day, or does the breakfast of one individual change the standard word order of the entire language and all its speakers for that day?

Also, what if someone doesn't use both butter and syrup on their pancakes?
Nouns inflect for case, number, and favorite color.
Although I'm not trying to draw attention away from the genius of the 27ular number and the fascinating irregularities of dvdbox, I'm interested in hearing more about case and favorite color.

Are the only cases the ones mentioned in the morphosyntactic alignment section, or are there others?

Judging by the fact that the plural of dvdbox is irregular if the box's favorite color is aquamarine, I'm assuming that the favorite color marked on the noun is the favorite color of that noun, and not the favorite color of the speaker. Or perhaps both are marked? What would you do if you didn't know the favorite color of a noun you're referring to? What favorite colors can be marked? How are they marked? Is there a specific set of markable colors, or can any color visible to the socks be a favorite? Do they have words/markings for every possible distinct color, then?
Words for animals commonly found in a zoo (such as giraffe, elephant, etc.) have tripartite alignment, while everything else has ergative-absolutive alignment.
Do the socks have zoos? Or are they just remembering zoos on Earth? Do these animals exist at all on their planet? Or are there sock versions of these animals? And do sock children learn a specific set of animals that can be found in zoos, or are they told to use their instincts and guess whether or not they should use tripartite alignment when talking about a certain animal? Can socks even reproduce? Do they automatically learn the language once they are teleported to the planet?
If it is a tuesday, all nouns are nominative-accusative (with marked nominative, of course), unless you trimmed your toenails on the previous day, in which case all nouns have neutral marking.
If you trimmed your toenails on a Monday, then would everyone use neutral marking on Tuesday, or would only you use it? I'm guessing that only you would.

What do you mean by neutral marking? No nouns are marked?
This is an easy way for the socks to tell who is not a native of ⌨&, since socks have no toenails.
Then native speakers would never use neutral marking?
However, verbs having to do with building microphones and/or microwave ovens have five tenses:
How many such verbs exist? Do socks use appliances, and do they build them themselves, despite their lack of hands?
even though it is not related to Indo-European languages (or any language).
So it's an isolate, even on the planet ⌨&?
Polar questions are formed by adding the question particle '!ṙ' to the beginning of a sentence. To make a negative question, add '!ṙ' and remove the declarative prefix 'ƀʢx-'. Wh-questions are treated like normal declarative sentences. To make a negative sentence, remove the declarative prefix.
So there's a declarative? Are there other moods?

Very funny and well presented! I love jokelangs, and I look forward to seeing more! [:D]
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

fivecountwings wrote:Don't you hate it when you laugh out loud in a public place something you can't explain to any of the people around you giving you weird looks?
Haha! [:D] Yep.
fivecountwings wrote:Please let your recording include the phrase "27 zippers."
Ok. I'll probably just say 'dt☺' and then copy it 26 more times. But unfortunately, I might not be able to do that. Hopefully I will, though.
fivecountwings wrote:This is awesome! [:D] [:D] I am now inspired to create a jokelang myself.
Thanks! [:D] And good luck making a jokelang.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:ᵷ♫ᵽ is spoken by the socks that disappear in the dryer.
Are there different dialects depending on whether a sock was usually worn on a right or left foot?
Yes. The socks actually keep track of how many times they were worn on each foot. If they were worn more on the right foot, they speak the dialect I used in the first post. If they were worn more on the left foot, they speak a slightly different dialect called thᵽᵽb♩.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:Little do humans know that the socks teleport to a planet called ⌨&.
Obviously, all dryers contain wormholes, but the question remains: are these interdimensional wormholes, or does ⌨& exist in the same universe as Earth? Is ᵷ♫ᵽ the only language spoke on ⌨&, or are there others?
⌨& is in the same dimension (in fact, the same galaxy) as Earth. ᵷ♫ᵽ is the only language spoken on ⌨&, but it has two dialects. I'll talk more about the thᵽᵽb♩ dialect in a future post.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:These socks have googly eyes and a mouth that looks like the mouth of a sock puppet.
Are these mutations caused by wormhole radiation?
I'm not sure, actually.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:Despite having no lips, tongue, teeth, lungs, or glottis, (or hands, since their language has phonemic clapping and snapping,) they are able to speak ᵷ♫ᵽ with ease.
Do they transmit these sounds to one another telepathically?
They use the microphones that they build to speak. Actually, they're more like the collars that the dogs in Up wear.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:Below is the phonology of ᵷ♫ᵽ. As you can see, it has no unique features and is generally quite boring.
True, any language with less than 12 ingressives puts me to sleep.
I agree. jk lol
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:The basic word order is OSV. However, it becomes OVS if you had pancakes for breakfast that morning. But if you put butter on the pancakes after the syrup, the word order should be SVO.
So does an individual's breakfast alter their personal word order for the day, or does the breakfast of one individual change the standard word order of the entire language and all its speakers for that day?
Only for that individual.
shimobaatar wrote:Also, what if someone doesn't use both butter and syrup on their pancakes?
Then the word order is OVS.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:Nouns inflect for case, number, and favorite color.
Although I'm not trying to draw attention away from the genius of the 27ular number and the fascinating irregularities of dvdbox, I'm interested in hearing more about case and favorite color.

Are the only cases the ones mentioned in the morphosyntactic alignment section, or are there others?
There are others, like genitive and dative, which I'll explain in a later post. I'll also explain favorite color marking.
shimobaatar wrote:Judging by the fact that the plural of dvdbox is irregular if the box's favorite color is aquamarine, I'm assuming that the favorite color marked on the noun is the favorite color of that noun, and not the favorite color of the speaker. Or perhaps both are marked?
Only the favorite color of the noun is marked, and it refers to that noun's favorite color.
shimobaatar wrote:What would you do if you didn't know the favorite color of a noun you're referring to?
Then you use the marker for unknown favorite color.
shimobaatar wrote:What favorite colors can be marked? How are they marked? Is there a specific set of markable colors, or can any color visible to the socks be a favorite? Do they have words/markings for every possible distinct color, then?
Favorite colors are marked by prefixes. There is a list of possible favorite colors that can be marked, which I'll post sometime. If your favorite color is not on the list, then you can pick the closest one.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:Words for animals commonly found in a zoo (such as giraffe, elephant, etc.) have tripartite alignment, while everything else has ergative-absolutive alignment.
Do the socks have zoos? Or are they just remembering zoos on Earth? Do these animals exist at all on their planet? Or are there sock versions of these animals?
They have zoos, and the animals on ⌨& are the same as Earth, for some reason.
shimobaatar wrote:And do sock children learn a specific set of animals that can be found in zoos, or are they told to use their instincts and guess whether or not they should use tripartite alignment when talking about a certain animal?
They could just guess, but to be grammatically correct, they should memorize what animals have tripartite alignment.
shimobaatar wrote:Can socks even reproduce?
No, they are usually made in factories on Earth.
shimobaatar wrote:Do they automatically learn the language once they are teleported to the planet?
Yes.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:If it is a tuesday, all nouns are nominative-accusative (with marked nominative, of course), unless you trimmed your toenails on the previous day, in which case all nouns have neutral marking.
If you trimmed your toenails on a Monday, then would everyone use neutral marking on Tuesday, or would only you use it? I'm guessing that only you would.
That's right, only you would.
shimobaatar wrote:What do you mean by neutral marking? No nouns are marked?
I mean that the single argument of an intransitive verb is marked the same way as both the agent and patient of a transitive verb. (So basically, everything is zero-marked.)
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:This is an easy way for the socks to tell who is not a native of ⌨&, since socks have no toenails.
Then native speakers would never use neutral marking?
Correct.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:However, verbs having to do with building microphones and/or microwave ovens have five tenses:
How many such verbs exist?
Eight.
- To build a microwave,
- to build a microphone,
- to build a microphone and a microwave at the same time,
- to build multiple microwaves,
- to build multiple microphones,
- to build a microphone and multiple microwaves at the same time,
- to build a microwave and multiple microphones at the same time.
EDIT: to build multiple microwaves and multiple microphones at the same time.
shimobaatar wrote:Do socks use appliances, and do they build them themselves, despite their lack of hands?
Yes. However, no one, including the socks, know how they are able to build anything.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:even though it is not related to Indo-European languages (or any language).
So it's an isolate, even on the planet ⌨&?
Yes, since it's the only language on ⌨&.
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:Polar questions are formed by adding the question particle '!ṙ' to the beginning of a sentence. To make a negative question, add '!ṙ' and remove the declarative prefix 'ƀʢx-'. Wh-questions are treated like normal declarative sentences. To make a negative sentence, remove the declarative prefix.
So there's a declarative? Are there other moods?
Nope, not even imperative.
shimobaatar wrote:Very funny and well presented! I love jokelangs, and I look forward to seeing more! [:D]
Thanks! [:D]
Last edited by Dezinaa on 27 Aug 2014 00:30, edited 9 times in total.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Laughed a whole lot, but thankfully i was not in any public place.

Favorite color is what every noun is always waiting to be inflected for!
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Excellent! About time we gave a name for this.
These would be the Unmigvies
Spoiler:
I was aware that they travelled the hozone to get to ⌨&.
Spoiler:
from Sniglets- Rich Hall
Thank goodness I ate my hotcakes w/ butter and sausage today...
...erm, 'hotcakes' do fall under the prescriptive aegis of Pancake SVO, don't they?
... ... Um, does the digestive acquisition of sausage influence syntax in any way?

BTW [+1] :mrgreen:
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Wow - so much to cover!
This is an easy way for the socks to tell who is not a native of ⌨&, since socks have no toenails.
What about broken toenails or toenail clippings left in the sock? Surely that would create a shibboleth-like conundrum.
How many such verbs exist? Do socks use appliances, and do they build them themselves, despite their lack of hands?
No doubt the malefically warped washer-dryers imbue these sentient socks with hateful energy.
The socks, in turn, create microphones and microwaves that run amok, in a vicious (extra rinse) cycle.

Truly breath-taking.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

loglorn wrote:Laughed a whole lot, but thankfully i was not in any public place.

Favorite color is what every noun is always waiting to be inflected for!
That's what the socks realized, so they made up prefixes for basically any color you can think of. And I'm glad you enjoyed it! [:)]
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

Lambuzhao wrote:Excellent! About time we gave a name for this.
These would be the Unmigvies
Spoiler:
Ok.
Lambuzhao wrote:
I was aware that they travelled the hozone to get to ⌨&.
Spoiler:
from Sniglets- Rich Hall
Ok. Thanks.
Lambuzhao wrote:Thank goodness I ate my hotcakes w/ butter and sausage today...
...erm, 'hotcakes' do fall under the prescriptive aegis of Pancake SVO, don't they?
Yes, hotcakes count as pancakes. But the word order isn't SVO unless you had both butter and syrup, and if you put the syrup on first.
Lambuzhao wrote:... ... Um, does the digestive acquisition of sausage influence syntax in any way?
Nope.
Lambuzhao wrote:BTW [+1] :mrgreen:
Thanks! [:)]
Lambuzhao wrote:Wow - so much to cover!
What about broken toenails or toenail clippings left in the sock? Surely that would create a shibboleth-like conundrum.
Non-unmigvie (but not migvie (so most likely human)) speakers of ᵷ♫ᵽ have to be careful not to break their toenails. No conundrum unless they don't realize they broke a toenail.
Lambuzhao wrote:
No doubt the malefically warped washer-dryers imbue these sentient socks with hateful energy.
The socks, in turn, create microphones and microwaves that run amok, in a vicious (extra rinse) cycle.

Truly breath-taking.
Evil microphones and microwaves are becoming a problem on ⌨&. But fortunately, not a huge problem.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Dezinaa wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:However, verbs having to do with building microphones and/or microwave ovens have five tenses:
Eight.
- To build a microwave,
- to build a microphone,
I'm seeing a deep and troubling lack of a verb meaning "to build multiple microwaves and multiple microphones at the same time" here.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

alynnidalar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Eight.
- To build a microwave,
- to build a microphone,
I'm seeing a deep and troubling lack of a verb meaning "to build multiple microwaves and multiple microphones at the same time" here.
Oops! Thanks for pointing that out; I'll fix it.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

The thᵽᵽb♩ dialect

The thᵽᵽb♩ dielect is the dialect spoken by the socks that were worn more on the left foot. It is similar to the 'ogb dialect, which is the one I used in the first post. thᵽᵽb♩ uses nasals instead of implosives, the vowel is pronounced /ɘ/, /ɰ/ is replaced by /j/, and /ʔ/ is replaced by /h/. Clicks are replaced by ejectives of the same PoA, and <ƀ ᵽ> are pronounced /b͡v p͡f/. In thᵽᵽb♩, thᵽᵽb♩ is pronounced /tXp͡fp͡fm̩˦/

Cases

Besides having morphosyntactic cases, ᵷ♫ᵽ has genetive and dative cases. Possesive phrases are head-marking, with the possessor appearing first.

Example:
řq yo♩-ṗḅ♬l-tg
2.PL GEN-ear.PL-FAV.CLR
"Your ears"

The dative case is marked by reduplicating the second phoneme of a word.

Example:
řq~q yo♩-ṗḅ♬l-tg
2.PL~DAT GEN-ear.PL-FAV.CLR
"To your ears"

Favorite colors

As mentioned previously, nouns are marked for the favorite color of that noun. Here is the list of favorite colors that can be marked:

unknown/ no favorite color
blue
green
red
yellow
white
aquamarine
purple
black
orange
brown
cyan
pink
gray

The unknown/ no favorite color is marked my '-tg'. It is used when the speaker does not know someone/something's favorite color, or if the object/sock/person does not have a favorite color.