The Esseintial Ałýýla Thread

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: The Esseintial Ałýýla Thread

Post by DesEsseintes »

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! [:)]

Ałýýla does indeed seem to be developing a pitch-accent system, with the accent often quite predictably placed on the root syllable, but subject to shifts onto later syllables due to suffixing etc.

I'm pretty happy with the phoneme inventory now, and I don't foresee adding a velar nasal or phonation on vowels. Dental fricatives were never going to be a feature of this language. I love having only a dental/alveolar approximant.
Birdlang wrote:both this and the languages you make remind me of Blackfoot, and TLFKAT reminds me of Nuu-cha-nulth.
Good. I believe I've stated exactly those languages as the main sources of inspiration in the respective threads.
What was Ałýýla based off of?

Ałýýla was not inspired by any natlang. It grew out of my original ideas for Hííenununóóoþa. However, I think Prinsessa's conlang Vanga has had an effect on the aesthetic, although this was not consciously done on my part.
what happened with Preposterous???
It's sleeping.
smappy wrote:I'm also curious to see how Híí words change shape when borrowed into Ałýýla, what with all the phonological constraints in Ałýýla.

That shouldn't be a major problem, as the Híí languages have somewhat similar constraints. As for the limited range of initials, that will probably be resolved by Ałýýla's love of obligatory prefixes.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Musings on the Realisations of Stops /p t k/

As laid out in the Ałýýla phonology above, there is no voicing contrast in stops. It could rather be said that they contrast with the sonorants.

As a result, there is quite a lot of room for allophony here, and I've been wallowing in it to the point where I'm no longer quite sure whether what I've concocted is realistic at all. Hence this post.

Using /k/ as an example, and for the time being ignoring how it interacts historically with /j/ to give /t͡ʃ/*, here follows a table showing allophony:
*/t͡ʃ/ is phonemic synchronically

Code: Select all

V[-high]_   V[+high]_   {m n ȷ v    geminate      h_
                         z l}_

k [kʰ]      k [g]       vk [g]      kk [g̊ː]    hk [ʰk]
The aspirated realisation is lax, and the geminate realisation is tense.

I feel this is quite Northern European, which I'm not at all unhappy about. It works with the aesthetic, I feel.

The table is hideous, though. [¬.¬]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

3. Consonant Clusters

Here is a preliminary table of permissible consonant clusters in Ałýýla. I will almost certainly be adding to it as morphophonology progresses, but I just want to put it here first so I can move on to other things.

Code: Select all

p   t   č   k   s  [b*  d*  dʒ* g*] m   n   ȷ   v   z
s     sp  st  š   sk  -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
ł     łp  łt  łč  łk  łs  -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   
l     -   -   -   -   -   lp  lt  lč  lk  lm  ln  lȷ  lv  lz  
m     -   -   -   -   -   mp  -   -   -   -   -   mȷ  mv  mz  
n     -   -   -   -   -   -   nt  nč  nk  -   -   nȷ  nv  nz  
ȷ     -   -   -   -   -   ȷp  ȷt  ȷč  ȷk  -   -   -   -   -   
v     -   -   -   -   -   vp  vt  vč  vk  -   -   -   -   -   
*allophones
I may choose to allow virtually any cluster to undergo gemination. As mentioned before, it is always the first segment that is geminated, resulting in pretty little things like llm ȷȷk vvp.

For now, clusters starting in x are out of the picture.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

DesEsseintes wrote:3. Consonant Clusters
Here is a preliminary table of permissible consonant clusters in Ałýýla.
Does this mean that three-consonant clusters are prohibited even across word-boundaries?
Or are they allowed across word-boundaries, but not word-internally?
Or are they allowed word-internally, but only across syllable-boundaries, not syllable-internally?
Or are they allowed word-internally, but only across morpheme-boundaries, not morpheme-internally?
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

eldin raigmore wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:3. Consonant Clusters
Here is a preliminary table of permissible consonant clusters in Ałýýla.
Or are they allowed word-internally, but only across syllable-boundaries, not syllable-internally?
This. Although I might possibly allow a limited subset of clusters word-finally. Any resultant clusters across word boundaries would be allowed.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

DesEsseintes wrote:This. Although I might possibly allow a limited subset of clusters word-finally. Any resultant clusters across word boundaries would be allowed.
OK, so, when you can, tell us which of the allowed two-consonant clusters can occur as syllable-onsets, and which can occur as syllable-codas.