Caber Logograms

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Man in Space
roman
roman

Re: Caber Logograms

Post by Man in Space »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I've obtained a stylus and have digitized most of the logograms (up to sore 'be worth'), with the possible exception of some of the prepositions. Hopefully I'll be able to do what clawgrip does in the Conlang Conversation Thread and have written Common Caber to go with it soon.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Finished all the content words. All I have left to do are some of the prepositions, I think.

772 lexemes (not counting numbers, pronouns, grammatical markings, or prepositions).
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

I'm completely and utterly jealous of your script. I respect your skills, immensely.
g

o

n

e
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

masako wrote:I'm completely and utterly jealous of your script. I respect your skills, immensely.
[:$] Thank you. I consider that to be very high praise.

I hope to get to the rest of the prepositions tomorrow (I have a gig tonight). After that…I guess it's back to working on the script and its descendants. I also want to figure out how to adapt the script for the Ban De languages (clawgrip seemed to be doing something similar with Naduta, porting a logography over to a language utterly unsuited for it, so I'll have to reread his thread for some pointers).
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I haven't browsed the forum in a good long while and I just wanted to drop a note that I am blown away by the sheer volume of characters you have for this script... but also by the extensive and rather well done diachronics for the descendant languages as well. I am attempting to bring back all of the knowledge that I'd lost in letting my conlinguistics go to rust. Your thread has helped me a bit in more than a few areas, so: you rock, and also, thanks!
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:I haven't browsed the forum in a good long while and I just wanted to drop a note that I am blown away by the sheer volume of characters you have for this script... but also by the extensive and rather well done diachronics for the descendant languages as well. I am attempting to bring back all of the knowledge that I'd lost in letting my conlinguistics go to rust. Your thread has helped me a bit in more than a few areas, so: you rock, and also, thanks!
[:$] Again, high praise indeed. Thank you! [:D]
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Been working on a descendant logography: Calligraphic Caber. Most glyphs get flipped ninety degrees counterclockwise, although a few (like 'dissolve') escape this. I was going for a Naduta-like flow with some characters being different widths. Whether some glyphs will stack, I don't know.

The bottom four are the pronouns—first, second, third masculine, and third feminine. (Please pardon the roughness of the glyphs—I'm a bit pressed for time so I couldn't make them look as good as I'd have hoped.)

Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I'm thinking that one Caber cognitive metaphor would be SEEING IS POSSESSION. Then, from POSSESSION IS OBLIGATION, one could logically extend this to SEEING IS OBLIGATION. Maybe some verb tenses could be derived from 'see'—perhaps a future tense, or a desiderative. So you could get constructions like:

ba ưčoc fe i mep ta cơap
ba ưčo-c fe i mep ta cơap
DEF eye-PL GEN 1SG stand toward 3SG.M
'my eyes are toward it' (= 'I have it' or 'I must do it')
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

How's Caber doing, these days? Any updates? New glyphs?
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

clawgrip wrote: 02 Aug 2018 11:55 How's Caber doing, these days? Any updates? New glyphs?
[<3] Thanks for asking! I actually had been working on another descendant. Then there was some family stuff and I want to find my notes again because I think the logograms developed in kind of a cool way—basically what happened was as the characters got simplified they did another burst of using the rebus principle and you end up with new radicals and stuff.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Yeah, the more characters you design, the easier it gets, because you have more components to work with.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I’ve been working on a descendant of Caber script. I tried to post the images but I guess they are height-restricted now and I’m on mobile, so a link will have to do: https://imgur.com/a/JQPeiA5
Edit: The age-verification thing is just recent imgur policy. The photos I linked are SFW.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Linguifex wrote: 30 Nov 2019 08:41 I’ve been working on a descendant of Caber script. I tried to post the images but I guess they are height-restricted now and I’m on mobile, so a link will have to do: https://imgur.com/a/JQPeiA5
Edit: The age-verification thing is just recent imgur policy. The photos I linked are SFW.
Very nice. Ive always admired this script. Is there a place online where you have all of the material collected? I seem to remember the last time I looked I got a missing page error.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Linguifex wrote: 30 Nov 2019 08:41 The age-verification thing is just recent imgur policy. The photos I linked are SFW.
I didn't have to verify my age. Maybe it's because I'm a logged-in Imgur user.

All those characters are SO COOL! And so multitudinous!

By the way, is a T-cloud a thundercloud?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Linguifex wrote: 30 Nov 2019 08:41 I’ve been working on a descendant of Caber script. I tried to post the images but I guess they are height-restricted now and I’m on mobile, so a link will have to do: https://imgur.com/a/JQPeiA5
g

o

n

e
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Caber is not dead, it's just been really quiet. Working on Calligraphic Caber now:

Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Do you have an image of all those characters in their non-calligraphic forms? I'm curious to see the difference between the two styles of each symbol
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

ixals wrote: 19 Apr 2022 02:03Do you have an image of all those characters in their non-calligraphic forms? I'm curious to see the difference between the two styles of each symbol
Yes, though I'll have to go back earlier in the thread to find them.

--------------------------------

I've decided, for Realism Points™, to make the Tim Ar script a descendant of Caber. Because it's the Tim Ar and I seem to love punishing myself with these things, I've decided that the Tim Ar will get stuck at the syllabary stage, at least for the Classical state of the language, and have a somewhat defective writing system. Now, even after axing a number of the distinctions, I'm left with 960 phonetic glyphs to not only whip up, but to whip up from the "coined in Common Caber" stage. This would somewhere around double the CC lexicon.

For better or for worse, one of the attributes of the Mute Caber diaspora that the Tim Ar inherited was their writing system. CC's was a bog-standard logography, true, but then there came the idea of adapting it to the Tim Ar tongue. This was eventually accomplished to only partial success, but the end result ended up becoming the standard anyway. Some key differences:

- The CT system is almost entirely phonetic.
- Tone is not marked. For that matter, neither are some of the consonant distinctions.
- CC r was interpreted as CT l, despite CT having r—which latter was assigned symbols corresponding to CC z. This is because the r of CT was a continuant whereas that in CC was a flap; CC z was an alveolar continuant and fit the bill insofar as speakers of CC were concerned, but then they had this leftover alveolar approximant that wasn't doing anything…
- CC c g (which were /k g/) palatalize before front vowels (q.v.). This means that there are no native glyphs in CT for ke and ki, or for the velar nasal plus these same vowels; they are formed by diacriticizing another vowel.
- CC had a set of central vowels that coördinate well with CT's back unrounded vowels (which in some analyses might have been central anyway), but no front rounded vowels. These were formed with another diacritic modifying the front unrounded vowels.
- CT has syllabic resonants; these are represented using the glyphs for -aC syllables.

--------------------------------

Speaking of CC, a new word: beśce 'foreign, unusual'. I don't have a glyph for it yet though. Also the stops /c g/ and fricative /x/ now palatalize in front of front vowels and the affricates /ts dz/ are gone.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

The first new Caber logograms in like a year and a half.

Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I've standardized how the glyphs are drafted: This is the basic grid on which Caber logograms are drawn. The blue lines are primarily used when you're drawing the head on a person, but they do have other uses (like when compressing a glyph to fit with a phonetic or semantic radical).
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma