Which conlangs have >=500 words and >=100 sentences?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Re: Which conlangs have >=500 words and >=100 sentences?

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Squall wrote:My a-posteriori conlangs do not need dictionary. I have an algorithm to derive words from their natural source.
Because I have the grammar and all words, I can write any sentences.
But what about semantic drift? For example, I don't say "I will to go" for "I want to go", and "I want to go" does not mean "I lack to go". You can't just put words through sound changes without any semantic or grammatical changes and call that a language.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Odkidstr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Odkidstr »

Odki has more than 500 words. Looking it up, it appears to be around 732 words at the moment. As for sentences, I'm pretty sure I've done over a 100 different sentences in Odki, but a lot of them are outdated. For instance, I translated Sam's speech to Frodo from Lord of The Rings, as well as The Joker explaining how he got his scars (which came with a lot of lexicon building). Not only that, but I also have done many of those Conlang Test sentences. But like I said, everything is outdated as I've made many tweaks here and there to the grammar.
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:
Squall wrote:My a-posteriori conlangs do not need dictionary. I have an algorithm to derive words from their natural source.
But what about semantic drift? For example, I don't say "I will to go" for "I want to go", and "I want to go" does not mean "I lack to go". You can't just put words through sound changes without any semantic or grammatical changes and call that a language.
I regard the word class and I simplify the the language.
"I will to go" for "I want to go" is invalid because ''will' is a noun rather than a verb. The same is true for "That is my want".
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

No, "will" is a verb as well as a noun. Likewise, "want" is a noun as well as a verb. This is basic English comprehension.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Your statement also glosses over a very important part: "their natural source."

For Yabushionese, I have a fair amount of difficulty determining what words I should use. Modern Japanese has dropped a bunch of Old Japanese words and innovated new ones or borrowed from Chinese. for every word, I have to decide if I want to use the same one as modern Japanese, if I should retain a more archaic word, or if I should come up with something completely new. For native Japanese words, I will often check what the Old Japanese equivalent is (and there's usually more than one), and if it's a Sino-Japanese word, I will check Old Japanese and Chinese. If it's the same in Old and Modern Japanese but different in Chinese, I will probably keep the word as in Japanese. If it's different in Old Japanese but the same in Modern Japanese and Chinese, I will probably go with the modern one. And if it's different in all three, then I have a decision to make. On the other hand, the sound changes are minimal, so once the source has been determined, and I can easily do that part in my head.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I hate the fact that every time one of these threads pops up (cf. the CBB Conlang Census), the only conlang in my repertoire that meets the arbitrary criteria posited for "completeness" is Nınuıntı, a language I whipped up in no time at all, didn't give very serious thought to, and have never regarded as anything but a plaything.

There are easily one hundred sample sentences in the thread, and there are many sample sentences lying around on the forum from around 2 years ago. The lexicon contains around 600 entries.

Maybe I should come up with more of those toylangs and accept that my "serious projects" will never amount to anything.
Last edited by DesEsseintes on 06 Nov 2015 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Vrkhazhian is tricky. I measure words by the number of entries I have in my CWS dictionary, which I have 673 of. But at least 20 are polysemic meanings of other words.
But verb roots I have some 525-540 of. Thus I have nearly 1200 words.

But sentences I maybe have 50 of.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Kankonian has 100 times 500 words now.

And http://khemehekis.angelfire.com/basic.htm must have well over 100 sentences!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 87,413 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Himmaswa has around 2300 or so entries in its dictionary. I've never counted the unique roots, but I guess there are probably around 1000ish roots since there are slightly over 1000 characters, and while some roots don't have characters designed yet, other roots have multiple characters based on specific usage or because of archaic compounding.

There are certainly more than 100 sentences in Himmaswa floating around, but I haven't kept track of them all. Translation challenges, conlang discussion threads, example sentences, longer texts, etc.

I would like to increase the vocabulary, but at this point, I pretty much only add words when I'm missing a word that I need for some reason, and don't normally make the effort to just go out and design a bunch of words.

Khemehekis, how do you go about adding words to get to such a number? What kind of things do/did you do?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

DesEsseintes wrote:I hate the fact that every time one of these threads pops up (cf. the CBB Conlang Census), the only conlang in my repertoire that meets the arbitrary criteria posited for "completeness" is Nınuıntı, a language I whipped up in no time at all, didn't give very serious thought to, and have never regarded as anything but a plaything.
Just for what it worths, the Census posits nó "arbitrary criteria for completeness".
Individual entry listings are made for our major works, which are “presentable” conlangs – those conlangs that are fairly well worked out. If you would feel comfortable using your conlang in a relay setting, or perhaps describing its grammar in some detail or if you have written stories & poems then it ought to be more than presentable enough for a Census entry.
That's it. The only criteria involved, arbitrary or otherwise, are those of the individual conlanger who will decide whether the work meets or lacks. The point of the Census is to list what yóu believe are your conlangs that are your best work / most complete / most likely to be enjoyed by others, not what the Census Keeper thinks is your most presentable. It's up to you to determine which of your projects you'd like to add to the list, and the Census was specifically designed this way to allow folks with a broad range of "presentable" to list their languages. I only gave use in a relay as an example, since by the time most conlangers are ready to tackle a relay, their languages are, in fact, more than presentable!
Most of us, however, have also got notebooks (real or metaphorical) full of notes & ideas for conlangs: sketchlangs, scraplangs, crazy ideas that can never work. We also have languages cooking along at various rates of congealment. At your option, you may also choose to PM the Census Taker with a simple list of all your minor works and works in progress without any kind of description or links (unless all your scratch & scraplangs can be accessed via a single location).
You're certainly welcome to make a list of any or all your other minor projects which will be added to your main entry. Or alternatively, if all you've got are sketchlangs, scraplangs usw. then of course, that list would comprise your entire entry! That's not a problem at all.

And for anyone who has joined the CBB recently and who may not be aware, what DesEsseintes is talking about is the CBB Conlang Census, a place where you can list your conlang & conworld projects and also serves as a centrally located resource for other forum members and interested visitors to browse these projects of ours.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

clawgrip wrote: Khemehekis, how do you go about adding words to get to such a number? What kind of things do/did you do?
One thing I do is translate. I mostly translate texts I've written, things like essays, articles, song lyrics, poems and Facebook conversations. I'll also go over pages I've written about the Lehola Galaxy and search my dictionary spreadsheet files for missing words. That way I'll be sure to cover the words Kankonians and other Leholans would talk about. I also translate song lyrics from memory (I consider it "cheating" to read something someone else wrote or open a dictionary and look for missing words; I want to be the first one to notice that a word is missing in Kankonian.)

I also go through alphabetized English-Kankonian lists and look for words that are missing (I have to think of them myself, though). For instance, once after I alphabetized all the PAL- words that were already in my English-Kankonian dictionary, I realized I was missing "palynologist", "palynology", "palette", "palmetto", "to palpitate; palpitation", "palsy" (non-cerebral), "paltry" and "pallet".

When I add an English word, I translate all the meanings I can think of. My entry for "figure", when I added it, looked like this:

figure (build) meila; (be a factor) inehwil; (statistics) praisi; (numeral) barukh; (assume) nalosh; (scientific illustration) instar; (authority ~, etc.) dren

I then went on to add "build", and the entry looked like this:

build (construct) grekhem; (body type) meila

Then there's the cultural aspect. Kankonian has thousands of words for the plants, animals, food, clothing, religious concepts, place names, sports, political and legal concepts, technology, etc. of the Lehola Galaxy, including several hundred star names.

Another contributing factor to the large vocabulary of Kankonian is that Leholans have also made contact with Earth, so that several words (October, basketball, ska, Sunday, pope, tennis shoes, sushi, Jupiter, Canadian, iPod, etc.) have been borrowed from English.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 87,413 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Adarain wrote:Does viossa count? If so, viossa. Otherwise, none.
Where can we find out more about viossa?
Do you have a lexicon or vocabulary or root-list or some such thing viewable online? If so, would you mind posting a URL for it?
Do you have a corpus of translated clauses, sentences, or texts online? Can we see that too?
Maybe you have a "bank" of analyzed sentences. That's usually fewer sentences than a "corpus", but usually more work per sentence.

Is viossa a phrase-structure language or a nonconfigurational language?
Is it "free-word-order", or are basic, "unmarked" "word"-orders mostly limited to one or two orders?

In short; I don't remember reading about it before.
I just now searched for it.

It seems to be a group effort?
http://www.frathwiki.com/Viossa
https://www.facebook.com/ViossaPidgin/ (apparently with a nod to Monty Python's "Ministry of Silly Walks")
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4879 here on the CBB
http://langstuff.konata.fi/viossa/

It's supposed to be a con-"pidgin" based on several languages in the "Standard Average European" sprachbund (linguistic area) (including some non-IE languages), and on several Indo-European languages (including some outside the SAE sprachbund), and on some other Nostratic languages if you believe in such a thing as Nostratic. (At least, that's what I think some of those references say.)
If it becomes a creole it's likely to be very structured, yet simpler than its source languages. So it's probably not non-configurational, and probably relies much more on word-order than on, for instance, case-marking.
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Adarain wrote:Does viossa count? If so, viossa. Otherwise, none.
Where can we find out more about viossa?
Currently no where, really, except for what's on langstuff.konata.
Do you have a lexicon or vocabulary or root-list or some such thing viewable online? If so, would you mind posting a URL for it?
Do you have a corpus of translated clauses, sentences, or texts online? Can we see that too?
Maybe you have a "bank" of analyzed sentences. That's usually fewer sentences than a "corpus", but usually more work per sentence.
Nope, we banned those.
Is viossa a phrase-structure language or a nonconfigurational language?
Is it "free-word-order", or are basic, "unmarked" "word"-orders mostly limited to one or two orders?
No clue what the first one means. Generally speaking, word order tends to be close to Standard Average European, but it's not very rigid.
In short; I don't remember reading about it before.
I just now searched for it.

It seems to be a group effort?
http://www.frathwiki.com/Viossa
https://www.facebook.com/ViossaPidgin/ (apparently with a nod to Monty Python's "Ministry of Silly Walks")
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4879 here on the CBB
http://langstuff.konata.fi/viossa/

It's supposed to be a con-"pidgin" based on several languages in the "Standard Average European" sprachbund (linguistic area) (including some non-IE languages), and on several Indo-European languages (including some outside the SAE sprachbund), and on some other Nostratic languages if you believe in such a thing as Nostratic. (At least, that's what I think some of those references say.)
If it becomes a creole it's likely to be very structured, yet simpler than its source languages. So it's probably not non-configurational, and probably relies much more on word-order than on, for instance, case-marking.
That would be about accurate, for the most part. There are some things which are definitely not like SAE, such as the lack of a copula and a morphological passive voice, and a very large portion of the vocabulary is from japanese.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

Origins Of Nagala

The Realm Of The Ancients is a world that exists on our world Earth, but on another plane of existence in another dimension.
It lies directly on top of our world, yet we cannot see or access it. In the year jafa (0), the whole of the realm spoke Ancient,
like the Ancients who created the realm. In about cha fen (3000), the Ancients had disappeared. By feb fen (5000), the
Elders three from each continent, started work on a new language which was called Sork. The inhbitants felt like the Ancients
had abandoned them, and they no longer felt comfortable speaking the Ancient language as it was. Sork was a step above
Ancient, but it had it's flaws as the races were only what they were no more, no less, and it was put together rather hurridly from
bits and pieces of Ancient. It allowed them to hold onto fragments of the Ancient language yet have something new at the same
time. It lasted until around den feb fen (15000), and it as decided then, that it was time for another change. The Sork language
was modified into another dialect which totally removed any traces of Ancient. This language was called Blarsht, which lasted until
chen far feb fin(145000). Then came the creation of Nagala. They created affixes to go before or after some words, allowing for a
richer vocabulary without a massive volume of words. It allowed them to create their own words from the roots they alredy knew.
This language is still being used today. At some point between the creation of Blarsht and Nagala, a few Dornsmen traveled to the earthly dimension and existed for a few Earth months under cover of darkness. When they returned to the realm, they brought with them the creation of a Polish Oculist named "Ludwig Zamenhoff" called Esperanto. It was an auxillary language of peace. It is still spoken widely in the realm, as it like Nagala, reminds the inhabitants of order.

That having been said Nagala has around 1200 something words, 1 original song, and 1 rock song translated into it. The sentences are just beginning now and I have maybe 6 or 8. Am working on a complete grammar for it. I have a conscript I'm waiting on the money to purchase a font program to turn my jpg of my alphabet into a usable font.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

My Hecathver does, but I'm not actively working on it now. Mraznel, sët ic helre conlang os jirdae calkat mem penzundel ( = however, it's the only conlang I can speak without problems).
I used to write summaries of subjects I studied in Hecathver, and even some love letters (guess what, they were never delivered. Not that it would have changed much though). I still have a couple of those... anyways, summing everything up, it has easily more than 100 sentences, and the dictionary has about 900 entries by now.
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Alessio wrote:My Hecathver does, but I'm not actively working on it now. Mraznel, sët ic helre conlang os jirdae calkat mem penzundel ( = however, it's the only conlang I can
….
couple of those... anyways, summing everything up, it has easily more than 100 sentences, and the dictionary has about 900 entries by now.

That's great! Thanks.

Larryrl wrote:,,,,
That having been said Nagala has around 1200 something words, 1 original song, and 1 rock song translated into it. The sentences are just beginning now and I have maybe 6 or 8. Am working on a complete grammar for it. I have a conscript I'm waiting on the money to purchase a font program to turn my jpg of my alphabet into a usable font.

Thanks for the progress update.

[hr][/hr]

@Adarain; I never thanked you for your last reply; I do so now. Thanks.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

This thread is over a year old (so maybe I deserve to be flamed for reviving it); but I have to ask: What do you consider to be a "sentence"? Because I just read all the replies on that post and I'm a little curious why so many conlangers seem to have >1000 words but almost no sentences. Is there some "definition" when something said in that conlang is a "sentence", matching in this context?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Image Rozwi, :lat: :con: Çedara and Image Sadrås most definitely do.

:grc: :con: Iveriki and :grc: :con: Gavik have over 500 words, and more than 100 sentences.

:wat: I didn't notice if this question was asked already , but in your word count metric, are you including all attested conjugated/declined forms of words (that do that sort of thing), or just the bare dictionary forms?

Image Yauchuan, Kwijin, and the rest of the lot Muscan, Hwa An, Orou, Vikjr, Mapada, Okei, Oshche, Wushnikaak, etc do not.

I may have 200~300 words in Yauchuan. [:S] I do not think I have 100 or more utterances in Yauchuan.
Though I built up a lot of cognates through Rozwi and Yauchuan, Kwijin is less, for sure.

[:)]
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

None. My biggest stats are 94 words and 0 sentences - though to be fair, this is my second conlang and the first to have properly created vocab, and I've only been working on vocab for 2 days. If I can keep working at the same rate (basically impossible), then I should have over 500 in about 10-11 days. Then I need to do more work on grammar and then get into the habit of doing the translation challenges on the forum and I'll be on 100 after a few weeks.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
protondonor
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by protondonor »

Kolyma Ainu doesn't have 100 sentences yet (just 65), but I'm working on it.

It does, however, have over 1500 words, which is a clear record for any language I've ever worked on. This is partially because it's an a posteriori, but the Proto-Ainu lexicon I have only has about 700 words, many of which are duplicates of each other. For the others, I had to either use loanwords (usually from Yukaghir, Sakha, or Evenki; looking these up was its own adventure), or use dictionaries of modern Ainu and try to reconstruct a plausible Proto-Ainu root (this is pretty easy, since Hokkaido Ainu has had relatively few sound changes from Proto-Ainu; however, a given Hokkaido Ainu word has multiple different possible Proto-Ainu roots since there were some mergers. I can't reconstruct a word with complete clarity without having the Kuril Ainu word as well, but since I don't have a Kuril Ainu dictionary, that's not going to happen).