Fuheko

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Fuheko

Post by Shemtov »

The all important verb su-, whoich means "to do" is used with a noun to mean "To act on that noun; to to the activity associated with that noun":
Kaimono "goods for sale"
Kaimono surinu
"I went shopping"

Kätänädö summe
"We practice swordfighting"

The converb used with the present tense copula has a continous meaning; like English -ing:
Kätänädö suhae oramme
"We are practicing swordfighting"

The converb used with the verb koto- means "to expierience"
Kätänädö suhae kotorishime
"We have experienced swordfighting"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Shemtov wrote:
Conditional sentences with different subjects and tenses conjugate both verbs, however, the protasis takes the affix ppa after the conjugated form:
Mehiva täverippä nomii
"If the man ate, he is drinking"
Another, more formal way of making conditional sentences is to attach the enclitic ra to the conjugated plain past tense of the verb:
Kätänädö surimera, shinürishime
"If we practice swordfighting, we will die"

The particle kara in between the converb and the conjugated verb means that the conjugated verb will happen right after the converb:
Tävehäe kara nomirinu
I will eat, then drink"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The Dedective mood is formed by adding the particle soo and then the copula after the end of the utterance:

Hokahuva hisohunu shinümä hidasu soo ta
"The captured bandit's death will be slow, it seems"

Fuu tai soo onu.
"The forest is big, it seems"

Hearsay is indicated by putting the particle rashii before the final element of the sentence:

Hokahuva hisohunu shinümä hidasu rashii ta
"They say the captured bandit's death will be slow"

Fuu tai rashii onu.
"They say the forest is big"
-JRR Tolkien
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Yasss. You're still working on this! Great.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Nachtuil wrote:Yasss. You're still working on this! Great.
Of course. I still call my conworld "The world of Fuhe", though it has expanded way beyond fuhe ie. M'aillys, Kirmitite, the Tasarian languages, the Wanian family, that one Native-American inspired one I forget the name of, That one isolating language I forget the name of, and Arrungi. But the focus is still on Fuhe and as a language, Fuheko; I've written the begining of a short story set in Fuhe; if you want I can post it in "The world of Fuhe thread" I am doing side projects, like Anglesey Gaelic, but this is the world I'm most interested in. Finally finding that handbook of Japanese grammar I had lying around help restart my mental wheels for Fuheko.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Use of the local cases:
The six local cases are divided into two categories: External and internal. The internal cases are the Inessive, the Elative and the Illative. The others are external. The Internal cases are used for things being inside the noun, while the External cases are used for things outside the noubn. Therefore, The Internal cases may be said to be mostly used for things like boxes, barrels, forests, villages, towns, and houses. The external is used for pathways, roofs and for things like on top of or near things used with the internal cases.
Thus Fukkutosa means simply "in the box", while Fukkutonni can mean "On the box" or more likely "Near the box". To clarify the external cases locative particles are often used. While Fukkutonni usually means "Near the box" it can be clarified by saying Fukkutonni ui "On top of the box" Fukkutohe shita "From under the box" Fukkutote miki "Toward the right of the box". etc.
-JRR Tolkien
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Shemtov wrote: The language has Consonant Gradation, which are triggered by certain morphemes.
Strong grade: Weak Grade
pp:f
tt:t
kk:k
mm:m
nn:n
ss:s
f:v
t:r
k:h
m:v
n:r
s:h

It also has front/back harmony, with <i e> being neutral.

The language has the following cases, shown on the noun <Fukkuto>"box"
Nominative: Fukkuto
Topical: Fukkurova
Accusative: Fukkuroka
Dative: Fukkuroha
Genitive: Fukkuronu
Inessive: Fukkutosa
Illative: Fukkutone
Elative: Fukkutota
Adessive: Fukkutonni
Ablative: Fukkutohe
Allative: Fukkutote
Instrumental: Fukkuroni
Abessive: Fukkutonai
Comatative: Fukkutoma
Do I understand this correctly that the "hidden" case suffixes would be:
Nominative: (none)
Topical: tova
Accusative: toka
Dative: toha
Genitive: nu
Inessive: sa
Illative: ne
Elative: ta
Adessive: ni
Ablative: he
Allative: te
Instrumental: toni
Abessive: nai
Comatative: ma

? I have been looking at this for a while trying to figure it out but don't feel very confident I understand it.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Nachtuil wrote:
Shemtov wrote: The language has Consonant Gradation, which are triggered by certain morphemes.
Strong grade: Weak Grade
pp:f
tt:t
kk:k
mm:m
nn:n
ss:s
f:v
t:r
k:h
m:v
n:r
s:h

It also has front/back harmony, with <i e> being neutral.

The language has the following cases, shown on the noun <Fukkuto>"box"
Nominative: Fukkuto
Topical: Fukkurova
Accusative: Fukkuroka
Dative: Fukkuroha
Genitive: Fukkuronu
Inessive: Fukkutosa
Illative: Fukkutone
Elative: Fukkutota
Adessive: Fukkutonni
Ablative: Fukkutohe
Allative: Fukkutote
Instrumental: Fukkuroni
Abessive: Fukkutonai
Comatative: Fukkutoma
Do I understand this correctly that the "hidden" case suffixes would be:
Nominative: (none)
Topical: tova
Accusative: toka
Dative: toha
Genitive: nu
Adessive: ni
Instrumental: toni

? I have been looking at this for a while trying to figure it out but don't feel very confident I understand it.
There are no hidden case endings; Some case endings cause the /t/ in Fukkuto to turn into a /ɾ/, which I'll denote by a (g). Thus the case endings are:

Topical: va (g)
Accusative: ka (g)
Dative: ha (g)
Genitive: nu (g)
Adessive: nni
Instrumental: ni (g)
-JRR Tolkien
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Is this supposed to be reminiscent of Nivkh?
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

qwed117 wrote:Is this supposed to be reminiscent of Nivkh?
It's a mix between Japanese and Finnish, but set in a world where those two languages don't exist. Most words come from Japanese and Finnish, as do most morphemes. The only similarity between this and Nivkh is they are both isolates, though one can argue that some Fuhekoan dialects are separate languages, as opposed to the Standard Fuheko presented here.
-JRR Tolkien
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I see thanks. I though maybe two ts turned to an r or something. Is there a pattern to why those case endings cause the sound change? Is this the effect of the consonant gradation ? Sorry if this is obvious.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I just mean if there is a underlying pattern or it is just something idiosyncratic to those specific case endings. [:)]