Help/Challenge for making diachronic IE daughter Phonology

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Isfendil
greek
greek

Help/Challenge for making diachronic IE daughter Phonology

Post by Isfendil »

Alright, so my first conlang was not so much a relex, because I had a passing knowledge of etymology and IE linguistics, but it was incredibly weird. Now, I've already discovered and reworked it to justify it properly for quite some time but I am curious if the people here can make it work. Essentially, what I challenge the CBB to do is to turn PIE into this by whatever means that they see fit.
The language is fusional/isolating but that needn't be the case for what you people come up with.

So here is the phonology
C=ʤ ʃ ʒ s z χ q m n r l p t k b d g j ʧ v f h
E=n r l m s n͡z
I=ɛ ɪ ɒ æ ʊ
V=ä i u o e ɨ
D= a͡j a͡w e͡o o͡i

So essentially, how this worked is that syllables could only end in a vowel or in one of the consonants in category E. liquid+E clusters were are also permissible. n͡z only occurs word finally, it's anomalous.
Gemination would be possible only with E consonants.
The vowels in category I only occur in closed syllables, whereas Diphthongs and Category V vowels can occur everywhere.

Here is the phonology arranged by P/MOA

S= /p b t d k g q/
A/F= /f v n͡z s z ʧ ʤ χ h/
L/G= /r l j/
N= /m n~ŋ~ɴ/

ŋ and ɴ are just allophones of /n/ when it precedes a uvular or a velar sound.

The first person NOM pronoun in this language is /ko/, and the accusative is /mä/. The second person pronoun is /vo/. The base form of the verb to be is /sätä/. The rest of the system has been radically altered/reanalyzed/replaced due to creolization and would only serve to confuse or restrict you.

So how can PIE become that nonsense above?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: Help/Challenge for making diachronic IE daughter Phonolo

Post by shimobaatar »

This looks interesting, and I'd like to give it a shot, but I just want to make sure I understand the challenge properly first. We have to create a descendant of PIE with that phonemic inventory and with those phonotactics, right? Is there anything else to the challenge?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Hmmmm

Let's see. PIE's phonology is
/m n/
/p t k ḱ kʷ/
/(b) d g ǵ gʷ/
/bʰ dʰ gʰ ǵʰ gʷʰ/
/s/
/r l j w/
/1 2 3 (4)/
/r̥ l̥ m̥ n̥ e o ē ō ew ey ow oy/

Lazy me (Centum)
s > z
ḱ ǵ > k g
p t k > f s χ
bʰ dʰ gʰ > p t k
Normal Laryngeal Stuff I don't remember or understand
ow> aw
oy > ai
ō > ai _F
ō > aw
Cluster Reduction a la Romance. I think maybe... Italian?
nz < s V_#
L. > oL/aL _V iL _F

The resultant inventory is lacking merely q and ɨ
/p b t d k g/
/f v n͡z s z ʧ ʤ χ h/
/r l j/
/m n~ŋ~ɴ/
/ä i u o e/
/a͡j a͡w e͡o o͡i/

So...
Develop ɨ and q from yery-style diachronics
Kθ > Kьθ Kъθ _F/ь _B/ъ
Kъθ > q '%
ь > ɨ
F > ɨ !'%
ɨ > i '%

Messing a tiny bit with the diachronics on a more small scale "fix the gaps" gives ko for 1SG, an accusative of ome, which could reasonably become mä. 2SG becomes vo. I'm not sure where the base form would come from, but from h₁ésti it seems reasonable to get ästi> äsät > sätä
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

qwed117 wrote:
So...
Kθ > Kьθ Kъθ _F/ь _B/ъ
Kъθ > q '%
ь > ɨ
F > ɨ !'%
ɨ > i '%

I apologize, but I don't understand any of what these specific formula mean, why is there cyrillic? What are these %?

At any rate, what's been done is more than enough, as even in the original language, q and ɨ were exclusively new allophones or found in loan words. Thank you very much.

I was expecting Satəm though...
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Isfendil wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
So...
Kθ > Kьθ Kъθ _F/ь _B/ъ
Kъθ > q '%
ь > ɨ
F > ɨ !'%
ɨ > i '%

I apologize, but I don't understand any of what these specific formula mean, why is there cyrillic? What are these %?

At any rate, what's been done is more than enough, as even in the original language, q and ɨ were exclusively new allophones or found in loan words. Thank you very much.

I was expecting Satəm though...
Kθ are thorn clusters, and the Cyrillic are things in the diachronics of Slavic languages, called Yers. They develop into palatization and other various effects. I only researched what that meant after I posted this lol. Basically it's a cluster that develops into khth in Greek and ks in Indic languages. I used it to refer to any two consonant cluster, lol
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad