Bïlan

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Bïlan

Post by Shemtov »

This is an isolate spoken in the midst of the Tasarian-language family speaking area, in a mountain chain on the southwest border between the Närẃūsarian and Toisian speaking communities. It has a lot of loan-words from Närẃūsarian.
/p b t d ts dz ʈʂ ɖʐ tɕ dʑ k g/ <p b t d c đ ch đh q j k g>
/m n ɳ ɲ ŋ/ /m n nh ń ng/
/s z ʂ ʐ ɕ ʑ h/ <s z sh zh hs hz h>
/l j/ <l y>

/i y e ø u ɯ o a/ < i ü e ö u ï o a>

It has rounding harmony, with /a/ being the unrounded version of /o/.

Nouns:
The morphology is mostly aglutanating.
After the noun comes the plural marker if the noun is plural <Dul/Dïl>
Then comes the case marker:
Absolutive: ∅
Ergative (a/o)s
Dative:(a/o)k
Genetive: Nhu/Nhï
Locative: Bez/Böz
Lative: cot/cat
Ablative: mi/mü
Instrumental: zehs/zöhs
Comatative: tiq/tüq
Abbessive: hsu/hsï

Then comes the definite article: po/pa

Thus we can get words like Lonodulmüpo
"From the men"
Man is "Lono"
Last edited by Shemtov on 23 Mar 2017 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Bïlan

Post by Shemtov »

There are two kinds of verbs: Conjugatable verbs (or C-Verbs) and Periphrastic verbs (P-Verbs) This post will consider the indicative conjugation of intransitive C-verbs
The first suffix attached to the verb is the tense/aspect marker:
Present tense: ∅
Past Tense: yez/yöz
Past perfect: Got/gat
Future: koj/kaj

Then comes the person and number marking:
1P sing: Ni/Nü
1P Plural: Ngo/nga
2P sing: Tu/Tï
2P Plr: Se/sö
3P sing: a/om
3p plr: /a/oń
Thus:
Hzütagotngo
Hzüto-got-ngo
come-PST.PERF-1P.PLR
"We have come"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

There are very few transitive C-verbs in Bïlan; the main ones one will encounter are Jüb "to eat" and Nhipat "to drink". Others include verbs of sensing like monhuj "To hear". They take the same tense markers as the intransative verbs but shoow polypersonal agreement. The suffixes may be marked by absolutive argument on ergative argument. They are not marked for number.
1st Person on second person : nyon
1st person singular on 3P: hzop
2P on 1P: buh
2P on 3P: nyösh
3P on 1P: qunh
3P on 2P: long
3P on 3P: cüc

This can then be followed by the ergative plural marker: mol

So:

Lanodulospo jübkojcücmol hzikïmdal
Lano-dul-os-po jüb-koj-cüc-mol hzikïm-dal
man-PLR-ERG-DEF eat-FUT-3P.3P-PLR apple-PLR
"The men will eat apples"
-JRR Tolkien
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Shemtov wrote:This is an isolate spoken in the midst of the Tasarian-language family speaking area, in a mountain chain on the southwest border between the Närẃūsarian and Toisian speaking communities. It has a lot of loan-words from Närẃūsarian.
Does Bïlan have a significant number of loanwords from Toisian as well? Have any Tasarian languages been noticeably influenced by Bïlan?
Shemtov wrote:It has rounding harmony, with /a/ being the unrounded version of /o/.
Shemtov wrote:Thus we can get words like Lanodulmipa
"From the men"
Man is "Lano"
If a root like "lano" is allowed, does that mean that rounding harmony doesn't apply within roots, and that suffixes need only harmonize with the last vowel of a root? But if that's the case, why is it "lanodulmipa" and not "lanodulmüpo"?
Shemtov wrote:Hzütagotngo
Hzüto-got-ngo
come-PST.PERF-1P.PLR
"We have come"
(Bolding mine.)

I assume this is a typo?
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

shimobaatar wrote:
Shemtov wrote:This is an isolate spoken in the midst of the Tasarian-language family speaking area, in a mountain chain on the southwest border between the Närẃūsarian and Toisian speaking communities. It has a lot of loan-words from Närẃūsarian.
Does Bïlan have a significant number of loanwords from Toisian as well? Have any Tasarian languages been noticeably influenced by Bïlan?
Shemtov wrote:It has rounding harmony, with /a/ being the unrounded version of /o/.
Shemtov wrote:Thus we can get words like Lanodulmipa
"From the men"
Man is "Lano"
If a root like "lano" is allowed, does that mean that rounding harmony doesn't apply within roots, and that suffixes need only harmonize with the last vowel of a root? But if that's the case, why is it "lanodulmipa" and not "lanodulmüpo"?
The root should be Lono and the suffixes should be "lanodulmüpo". I made a mistake on that one.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

P-Verbs are the most common kind of verbs in Bïlan; they are periphrastic; requiring the use of either the irregular verb "đit" "to be" or Sos "to have". The latter is used for transitive verbs, the former for intransitive. Switching from "đit" to "sos" can be used to transify verbs.
These irregular verbs show change of form to show tense, but take the regular personal endings.
Conjugation of the verb "To be":
Present tense: đit
Past Tense: đi
Past perfect: đat
Future: đik

Conjugation of the verb "to have"

Present tense: Sos
Past Tense: Sot
Past perfect: Sas
Future: Sok

Examples:
Genhïnme đim zhomo
Genhïnme đi-m zhomo
Celerybe be.PST.-3P grow

Genhïnmes sothzop zhomo
Genhïnme-s sot-hzop zhomo
Celery have.PST-1P.3P grow
"I grew the celery"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

shimobaatar wrote:
Given the remoteness of Bïlan contact has been recent so Tasarian languages haven't had time to be influenced by it. Most loan words where taken from Närẃūsarian instead of Toisian, as the Närẃūsarians "semi-colonized" the Bïlan speaking area.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Uses of the instrumental and comitative cases:
The instrumental case is used purely to show an instrument of a verbal action:
huhsüngopo sotqunh hzizehs gïgiq
huhsüngo-po sot-qunh hzi-zehs gïgiq
foreigner-DEF have.PST-1P.3P knife-INTR kill
"I killed the foreigner with a knife"

However the comatative case is used, in addition to simply being "with" something, is used as an intrumental with modes of transportation:
Hzütagotngo pabaldïltiq
"We have come with horses"

However, the Instrumental is also used as a perlative:
Hzütagotngo pabaldïltiq zhizhidz'zehs
"We have come over the mountain with horses"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Use of the Lative and ablative cases:
The Lative case in addition to meaning "in the direction of" can also be used as to mean to "put in". Some Närẃūsarian learners refer to this as the "Inanimate dative":
Heqe sotqunh kubosh zhomoböz
"I threw the knife at the tree"

In the southern dialects, which are considered unstandard unstandard, this can can also be used as a dative to non-human animals:
Yutop sotqunh kubosh pabalbez
"I Threw the apple to the horse"

though in the standard language this would be:
Yutop sotqunh kubosh pabalak

Some Närẃūsarians call the ablative "The reverse dative" as it also has a meaning of "taking away from"

hzipa sotqunh nipeme huhsüngomü
"I grabbed the knife from the foreigner"
-JRR Tolkien
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Shemtov wrote:P-Verbs are the most common kind of verbs in Bïlan; they are periphrastic; requiring the use of either the irregular verb "đit" "to be" or Sos "to have". The latter is used for transitive verbs, the former for intransitive. Switching from "đit" to "sos" can be used to transify verbs.
These irregular verbs show change of form to show tense, but take the regular personal endings.
Could we see examples of these verbs being used by themselves?
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

shimobaatar wrote:
Shemtov wrote:P-Verbs are the most common kind of verbs in Bïlan; they are periphrastic; requiring the use of either the irregular verb "đit" "to be" or Sos "to have". The latter is used for transitive verbs, the former for intransitive. Switching from "đit" to "sos" can be used to transify verbs.
Could we see examples of these verbs being used by themselves?
Sure!
Nïđhispa đitcic lońö
"The woman is a slave"

Nïđhispa đatcic lońö
"The woman has been a slave"

Nïđhispa soscic lońö
"The woman has a slave"

Nïđhispa sokcic lońö
"The woman will have a slave"
-JRR Tolkien