Nyango? (working title for "Cat Japanese")

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Re: Nyango? (working title for "Cat Japanese")

Post by All4Ɇn »

LinguistCat wrote:Also I think a possible reason for the choice of example words and possible slang brought up earlier is a slang meaning for "neko" itself. If I'm wrong, Vlürch and All4Ɇn could spritz me with water.
I just figured given how much cats like catnip they'd be bound to build up an illegal industry around it [xP]
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

All4Ɇn wrote:
LinguistCat wrote:Also I think a possible reason for the choice of example words and possible slang brought up earlier is a slang meaning for "neko" itself. If I'm wrong, Vlürch and All4Ɇn could spritz me with water.
I just figured given how much cats like catnip they'd be bound to build up an illegal industry around it [xP]
To be fair, this is a plot point in that some of the cat clans are very against the use of catnip and others are either fine with use in moderation, or willing to supply it to others but don't take kindly to cats outside their clan dealing it. But I don't think they'd use human drug terms as they try to avoid dealing with human law enforcement regardless. And going around talking about what humans assume are human drugs probably wouldn't help in that goal.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

doomie wrote:I don't think cats would end up using 下さい kudasai outside of speech with humans, and even then...
Why not? What would stop them from using that?

Although in my own Japonic conlang Yabushionese, this word is not used either, because the honorific -aru verbs (irassharu, gozaru, kudasaru, nasaru, and ossharu) never evolved (it uses 呉さし kuresashi instead).
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

clawgrip wrote:
LinguistCat wrote:I don't think cats would end up using 下さい kudasai outside of speech with humans, and even then...

Although in my own Japonic conlang Yabushionese, this word is not used either, because the honorific -aru verbs (irassharu, gozaru, kudasaru, nasaru, and ossharu) never evolved (it uses 呉さし kuresashi instead).
This might be a bit Sapir-Whorf-ish, but I was thinking cats would be more inclined to use terms or phrases to "raise up" another to be polite or show respect, than to lower oneself. I'm thinking of deriving something from 願う which would actually be /negaCu/in the early variant of the language.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

LinguistCat wrote:
clawgrip wrote:
LinguistCat wrote:I don't think cats would end up using 下さい kudasai outside of speech with humans, and even then...

This might be a bit Sapir-Whorf-ish, but I was thinking cats would be more inclined to use terms or phrases to "raise up" another to be polite or show respect, than to lower oneself. I'm thinking of deriving something from 願う which would actually be /negaCu/in the early variant of the language.
It's all relative: you can't raise your interlocutor up without implicitly lowering yourself, because when you interact with someone, you become the standard against which they are measured. 下さる kudasaru "to give" (honorific) (lit. "to lower down") equally implies that the giver is higher and the recipient is lower, just as 上げる ageru "to give; to raise" (used only in reference to the speaker or someone associated with them) implies the very same thing, but from the opposite perspective.

I think that you will have quite a task ahead of you if your goal is to eliminate humble language from Japanese and eliminate directly implied humility from honorific language, because it is a symbiotic relationship. But if you can do it, by all means, prove me wrong.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I suppose from my own point of view, there's a difference between recognizing someone being on a higher or lower level (literally or metaphorically) and concluding that for one individual to be higher, another must have stepped down. If for example, I were the same rank as someone else and they got a promotion, I wouldn't suddenly get a demotion. My social level stays the same except in relation to the other person.

I'm not trying to be rid of all humble language, only conceptualize it differently. For example, I've already decided that there are specific forms of address that are only used when speaking to the clan heads, and forms only used by clan heads to subordinates. It just doesn't directly derive from "to raise"/"to lower". Though that was why I mentioned it might be too Sapir-Whorfian in the first place.
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

LinguistCat wrote:I suppose from my own point of view, there's a difference between recognizing someone being on a higher or lower level (literally or metaphorically) and concluding that for one individual to be higher, another must have stepped down. If for example, I were the same rank as someone else and they got a promotion, I wouldn't suddenly get a demotion. My social level stays the same except in relation to the other person.
This is exactly how I feel about it, too.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

doomie wrote:If for example, I were the same rank as someone else and they got a promotion, I wouldn't suddenly get a demotion. My social level stays the same
Sure, that makes perfect sense. However:
...except in relation to the other person.
When you are speaking directly to that person, your status in relation to that person becomes the basis for how you interact. Thus, if, they are above you metaphorically, you would be lower than them, even if you stayed at the same position.
I'm not trying to be rid of all humble language, only conceptualize it differently. For example, I've already decided that there are specific forms of address that are only used when speaking to the clan heads, and forms only used by clan heads to subordinates.
At first I thought your idea was that you wanted a sort of congratulatory system, where you acknowledge the greatness of a certain person while avoiding referencing the relationship between you, as this would directly imply your lower position. However, forms of address used only from superiors to subordinates would seem to suggest this is not the case. You can raise people up either as an honorific or simply as a way of being kind, so its use can be obscured, but you can't lower someone without consequence unless you are directly referencing your relationship.
It just doesn't directly derive from "to raise"/"to lower". Though that was why I mentioned it might be too Sapir-Whorfian in the first place.
That's fine. It's just that earlier you specifically said that cats would be less inclined to use language that lowers themselves. Here, you say that you want to have humble language, but humble language pretty much by definition means speaking in a way that lowers your own importance. having specific forms of address for superiors is honorific, not humble, while language used only towards subordinates would not be either; it would be either plain or perhaps derogatory. Unless this is all really just about specifically avoiding terms derived from ageru and kudaru/kudasaru.

So like ataeru or watasu for give, regardless of who is doing the giving.

Perhaps some examples would help to work things out.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Yeah, I'll work on some examples later after I take care of something I should be leaving for
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Example sentences taken from song lyrics and/or friend suggestions. Some ended up with more or less levels of politeness in any case.

"(Please) eat the bird."
Tori wo tabe negahi-mawirasu. /tso.ri M\o tsa.mbe ne.nga.Ci mja.M\i.ra.su/
Tori wo tabe negahu. /tso.ri M\o tsa.mbe ne.nga.Cu/
Tori wo tabe(yo). /tso.ri M\o tsa.mbe.jo/
Tori wo kuhe negahi-mawirasu. /tso.ri M\o ku.Ce ne.nga.Ci mja.M\i.ra.su/*
Tori wo kuhe negahu. /tso.ri M\o ku.Ce ne.nga.Cu/
Tori wo kuhe. /tso.ri M\o ku.Ce/

* This would not usually be used, but was included for sake of completeness. Possibly utilized by nekomata being sarcastic.

"Give me your heart."
Kokoro wo atahe-negahi-mawiru. /ko.ko.ro M\o a.ta.Ce ne.nga.Ci mja.M\i.ru/
Kokoro wo atahe-negahire. /ko.ko.ro M\o a.ta.Ce ne.nga.Ci.ru/
Kokoro wo atahure. /ko.ko.ro M\o a.ta.Cu.re/

"I went to town."
(Wa ga) mati ni mawireki. /M\a nga ma.tsi ni mja.M\i.re.ki/
(Wa ga) mati ni yukiki. /M\a nga ma.tsi ni ju.ki.ki/

"He went to town."
(Kare ga) mati ni mi-mawireki. /ka.re nga ma.tsi ni mi mja.M\i.re.ki/**
(Kare ga) mati ni mi-yukiki. /ka.re nga ma.tsi ni mi ju.ki.ki/**
(Kare ga) mati ni mawireki. /ka.re nga ma.tsi ni mja.M\i.re.ki/
(Kare ga) mati ni yukiki. /ka.re nga ma.tsi ni ju.ki.ki/

**Mi is written with the same kanji as honorific o- can be in standard Japanese, but mi tends to be prefixed to the names of those the speaker respects or verbs relating to said individuals. It is not prefixed to one's own name or verbs relating to oneself. Why? In this case just because, cats.

I'm not sure if I want there to be any of the following forms: "mawire-mawirasu", "mawire-mawiru", "yuki-mawiru". I do like "mawiru" being used as a polite auxiliary for (mainly) verbs of movement and "mawirasu" as a general polite auxiliary. So If I did use all three above, they would be in order of politeness, but I don't like "mawire-mawiru" particularly and I don't know if I'd want "yuki-mawiru" to be more polite than both the plain forms or only more polite than yuku.

I'm leaning toward -zu /nzu/ as the verbal negation suffix, but I'm not 100%. I am already seeing some places that things could simplify or that sound changes could happen. Plus I need to get a better handle on some things, particularly, LM Japanese particles. Things are likely to change at least slightly. Please tell me if anything looks completely unlikely or if I should include kana/kanji.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I know I said I would focus on more particles and the like but I have some more questions. One is more a matter of opinion I suppose, and the others are mainly about auxiliary verbs/verbal endings.

What is something I can do to differentiate long nasals versus a nasal followed by a prenasalized consonant, especially a stop?

Is right to say that in Classical Japanese -ki/-shi was simple past? -ri apparently was past tense also, but specifically that the state caused by the verb was still in effect or applicable in the present. -tari had multiple uses and is the precursor to Modern Japanese -ta, while other functions of -tari were off loaded to "-te aru" and "-te iru", but I suppose that wouldn't have to happen or other constructions could be used by the cats.

It seems like a lot of verbs in Modern Japanese are derived from a basic verb + an auxiliary (usually -su, the precursor to suru); Is this accurate or did these related verbs derive from something else? If this is accurate, are there common patterns between the base verb's and verb+aux's meanings?
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I think it's kind of interesting to have a different way of marking politeness specifically for verbs of movement.

Personally, I would prefer to see it written out in kanji etc., because this feels more intuitive to me, though pronunciation is also necessary since it's not Japanese.

Yabushionese also uses -zu as its negative. Why not! Tsukawazan-riyū no arazu ya!

I'm not sure what a "long nasal" is, but perhaps it could cause nasalization of the preceding vowel, which would not occur for prenasalized consonants?

As near as I can work out, the various past/perfective/etc. endings in Classical Japanese have the following meanings:

-tsu and -nu
The biggest difference between -tsu and -nu is that -tsu is transitive and may imply volition, while -nu is intransitive and implies a natural occurrence.

They both mark things that are fully completed, and it is possible for it to mark regret.

They also combine with other endings. Some examples include: -temu/-namu (future perfect), --tekeri/-nikeri (perfect with implied retrospection or other emotional connection), -tsubeshi/-nubeshi (future prediction), etc.

-ri: This can mark a progressive aspect, or a perfect aspect with continuing result (much like -te iru in modern Japanese).

-riki is a form from the Heian period that marked remote past progressive

-tari: past or perfect tense. May also mark a perfect with continuing result

other forms include -taramu (past or present suppositions), -tarikeri (past progressive iwth retrospection/emotional connection), etc.

-ki: this is a simple past that is either direct evidential (first hand experience) or for past events beyond dispute. It allows for no possibility of a progressive result, like the perfect ones above, though from what I read, -niki and -tari took on the same meaning in the Muromachi period.

-keri: a rather difficult one to explain; frequently marks past tense, generally for things that may or may not be in the past, that the speaker did not notice until now. Carries an introspective meaning. You can see this is the one added to some endings above to add emotional overtones.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Thanks for the explanations/confirmations on what these meant. I'll try to put up the kanji for what I've already translated, and in the future, I'll try to include them including notes on cat specific substitutions.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I figure it will be easier to quote things and add in the kanji+kana.
LinguistCat wrote:...
"(Please) eat the bird."
Tori wo tabe negahi-mawirasu. /tso.ri M\o tsa.mbe ne.nga.Ci mja.M\i.ra.su/
Tori wo tabe negahu. /tso.ri M\o tsa.mbe ne.nga.Cu/
Tori wo tabe(yo). /tso.ri M\o tsa.mbe.jo/
Tori wo kuhe negahi-mawirasu. /tso.ri M\o ku.Ce ne.nga.Ci mja.M\i.ra.su/*
Tori wo kuhe negahu. /tso.ri M\o ku.Ce ne.nga.Cu/
Tori wo kuhe. /tso.ri M\o ku.Ce/

* This would not usually be used, but was included for sake of completeness. Possibly utilized by nekomata being sarcastic.
鳥を食べ願ひ参らす。
鳥を食べ願ふ。
鳥を食べよ。
鳥を食へ願ひ参らす。*
鳥を食へ願ふ。
鳥を食へ。
"Give me your heart."
Kokoro wo atahe-negahi-mawiru. /ko.ko.ro M\o a.ta.Ce ne.nga.Ci mja.M\i.ru/
Kokoro wo atahe-negahire. /ko.ko.ro M\o a.ta.Ce ne.nga.Ci.ru/
Kokoro wo atahure. /ko.ko.ro M\o a.ta.Cu.re/
心を与へ願ひ参る。
心を与へ願ひれ。
心を与へ。
"I went to town."
(Wa ga) mati ni mawireki. /M\a nga ma.tsi ni mja.M\i.re.ki/
(Wa ga) mati ni yukeki. /M\a nga ma.tsi ni ju.ke.ki/
町に参れき。
町に行けき。
"He went to town."
(Kare ga) mati ni mi-mawireki. /ka.re nga ma.tsi ni mi mja.M\i.re.ki/**
(Kare ga) mati ni mi-yukeki. /ka.re nga ma.tsi ni mi ju.ke.ki/**
(Kare ga) mati ni mawireki. /ka.re nga ma.tsi ni mja.M\i.re.ki/
(Kare ga) mati ni yukeki. /ka.re nga ma.tsi ni ju.ke.ki/

**Mi is written with the same kanji as honorific o- can be in standard Japanese, but mi tends to be prefixed to the names of those the speaker respects or verbs relating to said individuals. It is not prefixed to one's own name or verbs relating to oneself. Why? In this case just because, cats.
町に御参れき。
町に御行けき。
町に参れき。
町に行けき。

Definitely going with -zu for negation. Still not sure about mawire-mawirasu vs mawire-mawiru vs yuki-mawiru (vs just mawiru).
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Old Nyango

Post by LinguistCat »

LinguistCat wrote: ... Still not sure about mawire-mawirasu vs mawire-mawiru vs yuki-mawiru (vs just mawiru).
I've decided, in order of most to least polite, to just go with "mawiru", "yuki-mawiru" and "yuku". Some of the pronunciation stuff will have to change because I've decided that all non-moraic nasal consonants would be palatalized. (Nya, nyu, nyo, mya, myu and myo from Classical Japanese would be [ni/mi]+[ya/yu/yo] as needed. Which was something I had already chose to do previously and don't feel like changing again.)

I might rename this Old Nyango since I'm starting to come up with sound changes and alterations to produce "Modern Nyango" and I mostly just need to get grammar down. I'm thinking about sound changes that could introduce a tap vs trill distinction for r, and a chain shift for nasal and prenasalized consonants, as well as vowel changes started by nasal vowels. Should I put that in it's own thread or just make sure to mention here if I'm referring to Old or Modern Nyango. I still might rename the actual language once I have enough down. I could certainly derive a name at this point, but as long as I have something to call version 1 and 2.