Proper Name, Story of a life...

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
lsd
greek
greek

Re: Proper Name, Story of a life...

Post by lsd »

elemtilas wrote: 12 Nov 2017 15:16 In the World, some names are indeed little more than mnemonics, labels. There is little power in them beyond that granted by knowledge. Deeper names open ever more cunningly wrought locks. Care must be exercised, indeed great caution, before giving someone those keys!
Giving someone your facename, a nickname that everyone knows & uses, grants no real power. Upon hearing it, you'd feel only the slightest heart tug of recognition. Grant someone a deeper name and you'll be hard pressed to resist any but the silliest or insanest of requests. Play the fool and give some passing love your very soul name and you'll place yourself in thrall forever!
I am always taken aback by the languages of imaginary worlds that follow an imaginary linguistics...

They reduce a little the self-realization of built languages that are real artifacts in the real world...

Even if they make a good support for literature, as a metaphor for the world...

As I understand it, it is a parable of the power that knowledge gives on reality...

It presupposes, in a way, the advent of a maximalist philosophical language that allows in a word to group all the facets of an object...

Oh, holy grail here...
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

lsd wrote: 13 Nov 2017 16:58
elemtilas wrote: 12 Nov 2017 15:16 In the World, some names are indeed little more than mnemonics, labels. There is little power in them beyond that granted by knowledge. Deeper names open ever more cunningly wrought locks. Care must be exercised, indeed great caution, before giving someone those keys!
Giving someone your facename, a nickname that everyone knows & uses, grants no real power. Upon hearing it, you'd feel only the slightest heart tug of recognition. Grant someone a deeper name and you'll be hard pressed to resist any but the silliest or insanest of requests. Play the fool and give some passing love your very soul name and you'll place yourself in thrall forever!
I am always taken aback by the languages of imaginary worlds that follow an imaginary linguistics...
What other kind of linguistics ought it follow?
lsd wrote: 13 Nov 2017 16:58 They reduce a little the self-realization of built languages that are real artifacts in the real world...

Even if they make a good support for literature, as a metaphor for the world...
Any halfway competent worldbuilder will at least attempt to make its languages work from within: they will be as real an artifact of the otherworld as English or Tahitian are artifacts of the primary world.
lsd wrote: 13 Nov 2017 16:58 As I understand it, it is a parable of the power that knowledge gives on reality...
In this case, of course, it is both parable about which and that which inspires parable.
lsd wrote: 13 Nov 2017 16:58 It presupposes, in a way, the advent of a maximalist philosophical language that allows in a word to group all the facets of an object...

Oh, holy grail here...
In The World, there's no need for philosophical invented langauges, because the natural languages are already evolved in that direction!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Frislander wrote: 09 Nov 2017 22:25 lsd are you just going to make a new thread for each image now that your picture thread has been locked? Cause if so I don't think the rest of the community would want this.

Also why do you alwys end sentences with an ellipsis? It doesn't add anything and just makes you look silly if I'm honest.
It's not really an ellipsis what they do, the sentences are finished most of the time so there is absolutely no need to add three points to it. I don't know why lsd does this either, but it drives me nuts as well. I even did a search in order to find any thread where they would just use normal periods, and indeed there are posts from 2012 where lsd just wrote totally normal. Don't know what has changed since then that they feel to write that way. I get that you may want to use your own punctuation in conlangs - hell, I do that as well - but if you're writing English, you should write English.
What if everyone would just create its own punctuation style<>< It would be totally crazy<><
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

Iyionaku wrote: 20 Nov 2017 15:04but if you're writing English, you should write English.
How prescriptivist!
What if everyone would just create its own punctuation style<>< It would be totally crazy<><
hell lets just abolish punctuation altogether i think it would be easier some natlang scripts have no punctuation or at least didnt have it until they adopted it from the west and they are understood just fine by their users

EVENBETTERYETLETSWRITEINSCRIPTIOCONTINUAAFTERALLTHEROMANSDIDIT
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Evynova wrote: 20 Nov 2017 15:23
Iyionaku wrote: 20 Nov 2017 15:04but if you're writing English, you should write English.
How prescriptivist!
hell lets just abolish punctuation altogether i think it would be easier some natlang scripts have no punctuation or at least didnt have it until they adopted it from the west and they are understood just fine by their users

EVENBETTERYETLETSWRITEINSCRIPTIOCONTINUAAFTERALLTHEROMANSDIDIT
You're missing the point; even if people do disagree on the finer points of punctuation in English there is still pretty general agreement on most issues. For example nobody outside of maybe a couple of native speakers uses the Guillemet « » to mark quotations, nobody's putting an inverted question mark at the beginning of sentences and nobody (except for lsd clearly) is writing ... at the end of every complete sentence. Breaking these conventions is like deciding you're going to use SOV word-order; we will probably still be able to understand you but it's so annoying, and needlessly so.
Evynova
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Evynova »

I was just joking around. In all honesty though, I can understand the confusion, but I can't understand why it bothers people so much. Sure, it's weird, but I get the impression that some members here take it as a personal insult, and that, to me, makes even less sense than some of lsd's cryptic messages. It's unnecessarily quirky in a hipster-ish way but the irritation that it triggers, imho, is as justified as the use of a suspension point after a full sentence.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Sorry to question you with my linguistic experiments...
I am aware that it is not always comfortable...
Here, in two words, it is a beginning of transposition of the linguistic functioning in work in my conlang where each element is the beginning of a possible speech...
Where punctuation is not necessary, if not a breath...
A bit like an oral speech of an asthmatic robot...
no need of a pic...