Grammar discussion for my conlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Grammar discussion for my conlang

Post by CarsonDaConlanger »

My conlang, Noha, is active-stative(Fluid-S) and markes active. What other grammatical features are common with Active-Stative languages? What are their case systems usually like? How do they deal with ditransitive verbs? Anything else interesting you could share with me would be greatly appreciated!
He/they bisexual weeb
Parlox
greek
greek

Re: Grammar discussion for my conlang

Post by Parlox »

You could probably just operate within the normal limits set on nominative-accusative or ergative-absolutive languages. But doesn't what grammatical features show up in a language depend more on word order, and not alignment?

This is about all i know/can guess on this subject, i wish i could e more helpful.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Parlox wrote: 25 Feb 2018 22:05 You could probably just operate within the normal limits set on nominative-accusative or ergative-absolutive languages. But doesn't what grammatical features show up in a language depend more on word order, and not alignment?

This is about all i know/can guess on this subject, i wish i could be more helpful.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono »

CarsonDaConlanger wrote: 25 Feb 2018 21:38 What other grammatical features are common with Active-Stative languages? What are their case systems usually like?
According to this , Active-Stative languages mostly use head marking instead of cases. Georgian has cases but I don't understand its alignment at all, so I don't know if it's a good example. There seem to be other exceptions though - does anyone know what they are?
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Post by CarsonDaConlanger »

Tuyono wrote: 26 Feb 2018 23:35 Active-Stative languages mostly use head marking instead of cases.
Could you explain to me what that means, I'm kinda new?
He/they bisexual weeb
Tuyono
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Tuyono »

I'm also kind of new but I'll try:
These languages tend to mark both the agent and the patient on the verb in transitive sentences. Intransitive verbs will mark their subject either as an agent (for active meaning) or as a patient (for stative meaning). I'll use made-up examples, assuming the language is Split-S. The rules that decide which verbs are in which category can be very specific, so don't take this as some formula, but here let's say:
If the basic meaning of the verb is something normally done on purpose, the subject is marked as A.
If this basic meaning is something that happens to the subject, it's marked as P.

toka-nu
jump.PST-1SG.A
"I jumped"

pata-wan
fall.PST-1SG.P
"I fell"

And in transitive sentences:

kesa-nu-la
catch.PST-1SG.A-3SG.P
"I caught her"

kesa-li-wan
catch.PST-3SG.A-1SG.P
"She caught me"

The link I posted yesterday has a lot of real examples.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

As a non-newby I think you’re both doing pretty well.

(IANAE.)