Conlang Magazine Collab

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Dormouse559

Re: Conlang Magazine Collab

Post by Dormouse559 »

Reyzadren wrote: 12 Apr 2018 23:47I suppose the articles could also be arranged based on levels of reality: irl comes first, then althistory, and conworld stuff towards the end? However, the real situation is: Nobody would know what they are actually saying, because it's written in conlangs lol
The arrangement by level of reality is interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

Reyzadren wrote: 12 Apr 2018 23:47Beautifully designed [<3]
Why, thank you. [:3] Looking forward to seeing everyone else's parts.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I don't have much of my article done yet (Because I thought we were starting at phase 2), so I likely won't be able to contribute anything substantial.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

No worries. It is fine even if you have only 1 page, or just lengthen it with more fluff pictures lol
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

I only have about three quarters of one page done so far, in a new conlang that's mainly inspired by Japanese and Greek. It's about how Christianity and Islam are spreading among the conpeople and how it worries the older generation, with a focus on students being interviewed and why they view the religions favourably. Basically satire of the way conservatives of any religion view other religions, I guess, and also satire of how youth can naively misunderstand the beliefs and history of other people... is that kind of a subject too sensitive? I mean, the conlang is a priori so the exact nature of it couldn't even be understood but obviously a lot of the relevant vocabulary is derived from actual languages (and some that are conically "coincidences" but of course actually derived from words I like in various languages (like the word for love being "aim" based on French, etc.))
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

^That seems fine, just like any student interview on campus.
Vlürch
greek
greek

Post by Vlürch »

So, I finished one page but am getting kinda bored of this conlang (that's how quickly I abandon my conlangs, haha) and don't really know if I feel like doing more at least now. It looks really bland and stuff, and it ended up being kind boring; no humorous huge misconceptions like I first intended, simply because I ran out of space and like I said I'm not sure if I have the motivation to do more pages... of course, I could make more space by removing the pics or making them smaller, but I wanted to include them and making them too small would kinda defeat the purpose.

Oh well, here's the first page.

Can't be arsed to gloss, but the grammar is more or less straightforward SAE with mostly free word order and some other things. Here's an English translation:
Spoiler:
DANGEROUS RELIGIONS?

A recent poll showed that three out of ten youths would tolerate all other religions, even if they could be bad for our society. The specific religions in question are Christianity and Islam, the two largest Abrahamic religions, both of which are currently spreading to our country. For example, adherents of Abrahamic religions believe that there is only one God and that good people can go to Heaven after death. Christians believe that the prophet Jesus Christ was the son of God, but Muslims reject this fiercely. The two religions have been fighting against one another for centuries.

Why we should tolerate this, we asked a student. He said:
"Christianity and Islam's histories are old and awe-inspiring, even if not necessarily good for us... however, I believe they contain a message of love. As such, we should respect them because they could reveal new truths to us."

Others' thoughts are similar:
"They're happy with their Christ. Why should we tell them that they should be sad, by forcing them to reject their religion? I was asking his followers about his life and they told me that he suffered greatly but loved God so much that he spread peace, happiness and education to the oppressed masses."

The third student's opinions on Islam and Christianity are different:
"Both believe that Jesus was born from a virgin, but Christians believe his mother should be venerated. I'm a Muslim, freshly converted... I believe there is only one God, that we should worship only Him; not His son and/or His son's mother."

Mary, mother of Jesus, with her son. By an unknown artist.

Hieronymous Bosch's The Last Judgement, c. 1500
...I know it's missing some stuff that would be in a magazine, like the writer's name and whatnot, but I figured I'd put that at the end if I made more pages; if I don't, then it's kinda weird but whatever.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

^Acceptance confirmed. Later, if you have not continued adding more, we'll just use this 1 page.

Next: k1234567890y and Parlox.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

I am cancelling this activity due to lack of interest. If anybody would like to lead a similar project in the future, feel free to do so.

Thank you to all participants, but your effort isn't wasted because you can still keep the results in your conlang portfolio ;)