(Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here [2010-2020]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: 24 Jul 2018 03:11 It is beginning to seem to me, that the term “root”, when discussing the diachronic processes of language evolution, and the genetic relatedness of languages in the same family, means something different, from the term “root”, when discussing the synchronic processes of inflection and morphological derivation, and suchlike morphological processes.

So, or not so?
Well, insofar as :lat: and :grc: are concerned, the inflectional 'root' found in the genitive singular of a noun, or in one of the principal parts of a verb, is usually referred to in textbooks and other didactic materials as the stem.

But, certainly, at least as for as :lat: and :grc: verbs go, the principal parts can each have, as the main formant of their respective stems, different grades of a former Proto-Italic or PIE roots.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

BTW,

Looks like Lithuanian has three principal parts
http://www.lituanus.org/1987/87_1_04.htm

I was looking for info on Sanskrit, but stumbled upon this article about Static and Dynamic Principal Parts in both Indo-European languages, but also considering non IE langs as well:

ftp://ftp.cs.engr.uky.edu/cs/techreports/459-06.pdf

[:)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thanks, @Lambuzhao!

I wonder, also, whether the term “derivation” means something different, when speaking morphologically and synchronically, than when speaking diachronically.

—————

Do you think a new thread, on such topics as suppletion, roots, derivation, paradigms, and principal parts, or some of those, might be good to start?
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I would be interested in a separate thread on that, since figuring all this stuff out has been a major part of my PIE-inspired conlang. [:)]
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

eldin raigmore wrote: 25 Jul 2018 20:52 Do you think a new thread, on such topics as suppletion, roots, derivation, paradigms, and principal parts, or some of those, might be good to start?
[+1]

For my latest project, "Denkurian", I am working on a few verbal periphrases to express some aspects. I want the progressive to be expressed by to be + [PREP] + [INF].

What are some prepositions that would make sense? I was thinking those that mean something like "at" or "in" or perhaps "to". Ideas?

I am also thinking of the following:
prospective aspect: to go + 'to' + [INF]
recent perfect (‘have just’): to come + 'from' + [INF]
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

felipesnark wrote: 25 Jul 2018 23:40
eldin raigmore wrote: 25 Jul 2018 20:52 Do you think a new thread, on such topics as suppletion, roots, derivation, paradigms, and principal parts, or some of those, might be good to start?
[+1]

For my latest project, "Denkurian", I am working on a few verbal periphrases to express some aspects. I want the progressive to be expressed by to be + [PREP] + [INF].

What are some prepositions that would make sense? I was thinking those that mean something like "at" or "in" or perhaps "to". Ideas?

“For” and “after” might be good, for the progressive or prospective or intended future.

Go for INF
Be after INF
Go for GERUND (or ACTIVE PARTICIPLE)
Be after GERUND (or ACTIVE PARTICIPLE)

Or some such thing.

What do you think?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 25 Jul 2018 21:49 I would be interested in a separate thread on that, since figuring all this stuff out has been a major part of my PIE-inspired conlang. [:)]
If anyone starts it I will follow it.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

eldin raigmore wrote: 26 Jul 2018 04:24
[+1]

“For” and “after” might be good, for the progressive or prospective or intended future.

Go for INF
Be after INF
Go for GERUND (or ACTIVE PARTICIPLE)
Be after GERUND (or ACTIVE PARTICIPLE)

Or some such thing.

What do you think?
I like "go for", zolon zag, for prospective. I might use "be in" balon sko, for progressive; I had been using "be at/to", balon dan. I think I will use the infinitive for the main verb in each of these periphrases.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

For those interested: I created a separate thread on Indo-European morphology here.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

[+1]

You might want to look into Irish in this regard.
ErickTyndale
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by ErickTyndale »

Hello, I'm currently brainstorming on the grammar of a new conlang I'm working on. This conlang is Nom-Acc with a marker on the subject, but I was thinking the following:
What if the subject marker would also tell you the tense? F.e. "He[1SG, +PAST] walk". My question is: would this make sense, what would the pros and cons be (I imagine it would greatly reduce verb conjugations) and are there any languages that do this?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

ErickTyndale wrote: 27 Jul 2018 00:08 Hello, I'm currently brainstorming on the grammar of a new conlang I'm working on. This conlang is Nom-Acc with a marker on the subject, but I was thinking the following:
What if the subject marker would also tell you the tense? F.e. "He[1SG, +PAST] walk". My question is: would this make sense, what would the pros and cons be (I imagine it would grestly reduce verb conjugations) and are there any languages that do this?
If the subject is "he", why would it be marked as first person singular?
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

ErickTyndale wrote: 27 Jul 2018 00:08 Hello, I'm currently brainstorming on the grammar of a new conlang I'm working on. This conlang is Nom-Acc with a marker on the subject, but I was thinking the following:
What if the subject marker would also tell you the tense? F.e. "He[1SG, +PAST] walk". My question is: would this make sense, what would the pros and cons be (I imagine it would greatly reduce verb conjugations) and are there any languages that do this?
English basically has that .... for future tense only though, and it's seen as a mood, not a tense.

I'll walk home by myself.
The tense is marked on the subject, not the verb, so definitely a system like this can work. But I don't know if any langs use that setup exclusively.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

"He's walked, He'll walk, He'd walk" ?

Not exactly the same, but...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I would think that the principal parts of a noun in Latin would be the two parts like agricola, agricolae, or princeps, principis, that are given in Latin books.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I know some oceanic languages like Marshallese mark tense on the pronoun. The wikipedia page for Nominal TAM lists several languages that have it, as well as explaining why English is not an example of this (because they are clitics).
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Hausa also does it. And there must be good resources on it somewhere on the internet.

ErickTyndale wrote: 27 Jul 2018 00:08 "He[1SG, +PAST] walk"
Did you mean "He[3SG, +PAST]"?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
ErickTyndale
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by ErickTyndale »

Creyeditor wrote: 27 Jul 2018 11:55
ErickTyndale wrote: 27 Jul 2018 00:08 "He[1SG, +PAST] walk"
Did you mean "He[3SG, +PAST]"?
Yes, my bad. Thanks [:P]
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Do the following results for the diphthongs seem reasonable, noting that the palatal onglide palatalizes the preceding consonant and the labiodental onglide is only present in coda?

ai > ɑi > ɑː > ɑ
au > ɑʉ > ɑ(ː)ᶹ > ɑⱽ > ɑ
ei > ᴇi > ᴇː > ᴇ
eu > ᴇʉ > ᴇ.ʉ (alternatively, eu > ᴇʉ > ᴇ(ː)ᶹ > ᴇⱽ > ᴇ)
ia > iɑ > ʲɑ > ᶨɑ
ie > iᴇ > ʲᴇ > ᶨᴇ
io > iⱺ > ʲⱺ > ᶨⱺ
iu > iʉ > ʲʉ > ᶨʉ
oi > ⱺi > ⱺː > ⱺ
ou > ⱺʉ > ⱺ(ː)ᶹ > ⱺⱽ > ⱺ
ua > ʉɑ > ᶹɑ(ː) > ⱽɑ
ue > ʉᴇ > ᶹᴇ(ː) > ⱽᴇ
ui > ʉi > ᶹi(ː) > ⱽi
uo > ʉⱺ > ᶹⱺ(ː) > ⱽⱺ
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

For a naturalistic conlang, is it unrealistic to have separate personal endings on verbs for active, middle, and passive voice?

Here is what I have for Denkurian at the moment:
Spoiler:
My idea is that the middle voice evolved from an old reflexive pronoun.