What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by bbbourq »

I created a FrathWiki page for my language, Lortho. It includes the script I created for it. It is still a work in progress, but nonetheless an accomplishment.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:^Looks pretty cool :mrgreen:
Thanks!
Runic abjad is a win.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Well, now at least the speech from the past post is mostly done now. It's about the possibility of Cytherean colonization, and painting it as more likely than Martian colonization.

I wanted to quickly post a Dishashta post to get shimo's attention, but then I realized that's honestly just disgraceful, especially given how disorganized it is. (Just as an FYI, the next language is Mish). I did review Mysterylang, so... expect a change
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Ahzoh wrote:
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Thanks!
Runic abjad is a win.
Hey, Ahzoh, how you doing!?

Also, glad you like it. I'm debating if I want to have a system for vowel pointing, maybe some matres lectionis... or just omit them, or what. *Needs to read a bit more about actual abjads*
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Hi Thrice, long time no see! [:)]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

For my story, I've created a character known as "Saviour" who leads an order called "The Harbingers of Truth" and they are a cult that worships the goddess Haqla/The Sun. Saviour is quite a powerful magic-users and a very "ends justify the means" kind of guy.
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:
Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Thanks!
Runic abjad is a win.
Hey, Ahzoh, how you doing!?

Also, glad you like it. I'm debating if I want to have a system for vowel pointing, maybe some matres lectionis... or just omit them, or what. *Needs to read a bit more about actual abjads*
Use vowels for very sacred/government texts and laypeople will probably use it without vowels for everything else; one can afford to misread a letter, you can't afford to misread a law or sacred text. Or maybe that would be advantageous for politicians...
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

I'm starting to realize this Sunbyaku reboot isn't going well. Well I knew that all along. Actually to be honest I barely conlang anymore. Stupid me!

I guess it's time to go back to Pazmat. Now if only I didn't forget damn near everything. What I find funny is that the basic grammar never leaves me, but vocab does. I can still remember all the various declensions and conjugations, it's the vocab that falls out of my brain.

What was I working on again? Conditionals I think? I think I want to add some Japanese-ness to Pazmat for no reason. I just really like the -eba and -nara conditionals, and the -tara ones (but those are handled through participles in Pazmat...speaking of, I really should do some finishing touches on those).

I like dental taps, okay? Seriously, Japanese's alveolar-dental tap is super-pretty (though I'm just sure this is just my AmeOta side speaking). Maybe Pazmat could use one. I bet it would sound very nice if /r/ were a dental/alveolar tap between vowels, but the normal retroflex approximant when post-consonantal, a retroflex trill (technically more of a retroflex approximant with a alveolar trill release) when final, pre-consonantal, and a normal alveolar trill as a syllabic consonant. That would mean sravrāyaru "through the good deed" is pronounced [sɽ͡ravɽ͡raːjaɾu] in the standard dialect. Some speakers, especially as one heads westward, retroflex the tap too (i.e the TRANS marker -(y)aru is pronounced [(j)aɽu]).

Post-palatals, the retroflexion of /r/ disappears and some speakers go as far as turning it into some sort of weakly-fricated "alveo-palatal trill"--more precisely [ç̟̞r], a lowered and fronted palatal fricative with trill release. However, this is a really weird sound

I need to get Free Compose on this new laptop too. Typing Pazmat without it is a pain in the ass, dear god.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Just discovered the equation governing atmospheric/oceanic circulation. Apparently it's based off of Navier-Stokes equations.
d=v0/(2ΩsinΘ)

Don't know what any of the symbols mean. I do think that the equation should be reconstructible to some degree with basic vector transformations; so I guess I'll be using those to figure out how this works. It would be helpful if someone with a greater understanding of physics was able to guide me through the equation. I don't understand how our oceans have basically only 1 Hadley cell if water is significantly slower than air. Shouldn't there be more water cells than air cells?
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

bbbourq wrote:I created a FrathWiki page for my language, Lortho. It includes the script I created for it. It is still a work in progress, but nonetheless an accomplishment.
I dig the script, very nicely done.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

qwed117 wrote:Just discovered the equation governing atmospheric/oceanic circulation. Apparently it's based off of Navier-Stokes equations.
d=v0/(2ΩsinΘ)

Don't know what any of the symbols mean. I do think that the equation should be reconstructible to some degree with basic vector transformations; so I guess I'll be using those to figure out how this works. It would be helpful if someone with a greater understanding of physics was able to guide me through the equation. I don't understand how our oceans have basically only 1 Hadley cell if water is significantly slower than air. Shouldn't there be more water cells than air cells?
I don't know about this specific equation. What are you looking for, exactly? When I was working on Scosya, I found two very useful things that helped me figure out the circulation patterns. This article on Hadley cell dynamics, and for oceanic circulation - Ekman transport (look it up on Wikipedia.)
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

Didn't accomplish much. I revamped my phonology (there are a lot of phonemes I'm torn over, such as /v/ vs /w/ and /h/ vs /x/. I'm also debating whether or not to include voiced plosives.)

I also decided to make my language have a topic comment structure, so it'll probably be SVO or SOV, even though the language still follows the VSO habit of placing the noun before the adjective.)
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Started a language with this phonology:

/p t t͡ʃ~ʃ k kʷ/ <p t c k kw>
/θ s x xʷ/ <θ s h hw>
/ɾ w/ <r w>

/i a ɯ ɔ iː aː ɯː ɔː/ <i a u o ii aa uu oo>
/ɪ̯a ɪ̯ɔ ɪ̯ɯ aɪ̯ ɔɪ̯ ɯɪ̯ ɯ̯a/ <ia io iu ai oi ui ua>

Syllable structure is (C)V(V)(C), where all consonants bar <kw hw> may appear in the coda and vowel sequences are limited to those given in the list of diphthongs shown above: all other vowel combinations syncopate in some way.

There's also a pitch accent (indicated by an acute) which is fairly simple in its realisation, but is also subject to some interesting morphopho, and on verbs is one of the indicaters of perfective vs. imperfective aspect.

I'm thinking with this one I'll go in for concrete verbal prefixes which look like incorporated nouns but aren't, with the language otherwise lacking noun-incorporation but still being at least near-polysynthetic. There are also three person-marking prefix series, à la Choctaw, and quite a bit of freedom to switch between nominal and verbal classes.

Examples.

saísok
sa-is-ok
1A-walk-IMPF
I'm walking

saisí
sa-is-i
1A-walk-PRF
I walked

wuúθwa
wa-úθw-a
1B-dog-STAT
I am a dog

wokúθwa
wok-úθw-a
1C-dog-STAT
I have a dog

wokkacipθírai
wok-ka-cipθ-i-rai
1C-2B-see-PRF-NEG
I didn't see you
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

qwed117 wrote:Just discovered the equation governing atmospheric/oceanic circulation. Apparently it's based off of Navier-Stokes equations.
d=v0/(2ΩsinΘ)
That looks not too different from a definition of the Rossby number

Ro = v/(d⋅2ΩsinΘ)

as a function of latitude Θ on a rotating sphere (e.g. a planet). Here the other variables are the characteristic flow velocity v, the characteristic length scale d of the flow structures, and the angular velocity Ω of the body. The number is simply a measure of the convection and Coriolis forces in a rotating body of fluid. If the number is small, your flow pattern will be governed by Coriolis forces, while if it's large, rotation looses its relevance to the flow. Ro = 1 signifies that the convection and Coriolis forces are roughly equal in magnitude1.

You can get from this particular form of the Rossby number to your equation if you can assume that Ro = 1 in your system and then solve for d. However, I don't know how justified this is. I've studied astrophysical convection myself so I can't tell you what kind of assuptions are commonly made in atmospheric physics.

[1] I say "roughly equal" here since people actually use a couple of different definition of Ro in the literature. In observational stellar astrophysics the most common definition is Ro = Protc, where Prot is the rotation period and τc the convective turnover time scale. This measures the same physics as the definition of Ro given above but there is a 4π factor between their values. This definition also tries to characterise the whole interior of the rotating body and so discards the latitude factor sinΘ.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

I worked a bit on Mesak kinship. I started from the premise of a Matrilocal society and then tried to figure out what that would mean for kinship terminology, and derived a kinship system that is similar but not identical to Crow kinship (making up roots as I type this out). Words are presented in the absolutive singular (the ending of which being -o-s)

taros [ˈtaɹɔs] Father, husband of maternal aunt
sáños [ˈsəŋɔs] Mother, maternal aunt

kindos [ˈkeⁿdɔs] Older brother, maternal parallel cousin♂
níȿoȿ [ˈɳiʂɔʂ] Older sister, maternal parallel cousin♀

kinddijos [ˈkeⁿdːejɔs] Younger brother, maternal parallel cousin♂
níȿȿioȿ [ˈɳiʂːjɔʂ] Younger sister, maternal parallel cousin♀
(these two are grammaticalized diminutives, formed by appending -ːi to the root. The vowel of that suffix acts differently in the two words because of the whole vowel harmony thingy)

humos [ˈʁ̞omɔs] Paternal relative♂ (includes cousins, uncles, grandfather…)
toɀoȿ [ˈʈɔɻɔʂ] Paternal relative♀ (includes cousins, aunts, grandmother…)

ɀípos [ˈɻipɔs] Son
támbos [ˈtəᵐbɔs] Daughter

kepos [ˈkɛpɔs] Maternal uncle
kepɀípos [ˈkɛpɻipɔs] Maternal cross cousin♂
keptámbos [ˈkɛptəᵐbɔs] Maternal cross cousin♀
(those last two are obvious compounds)

Among sáños (mother/aunt), the oldest (who will inherit the household once her parents die) and her husband are referred to with a honorific suffix -kun "first" (transparently derived from the number one) to the root, yielding sáñgunos [ˈsəᵑgunɔs] "first mother" and tarkunos [ˈtaɹkonɔs] "first father". Sometimes the same suffix may also be applied to their children, especially after the household has been taken over by their family. It is also (a fossilized) part of the stems for grandparents:

túñggunos [ˈtuᵑgːunɔs] Maternal grandfather
bikkunos [ˈɓekːonɔs] Maternal grandmother

Made a chart too:

At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

gach wrote:
d=v0/(2ΩsinΘ)
That looks not too different from a definition of the Rossby number

Ro = v/(d⋅2ΩsinΘ)

as a function of latitude Θ on a rotating sphere (e.g. a planet). Here the other variables are the characteristic flow velocity v, the characteristic length scale d of the flow structures, and the angular velocity Ω of the body. The number is simply a measure of the convection and Coriolis forces in a rotating body of fluid. If the number is small, your flow pattern will be governed by Coriolis forces, while if it's large, rotation looses its relevance to the flow. Ro = 1 signifies that the convection and Coriolis forces are roughly equal in magnitude1.

You can get from this particular form of the Rossby number to your equation if you can assume that Ro = 1 in your system and then solve for d. However, I don't know how justified this is. I've studied astrophysical convection myself so I can't tell you what kind of assuptions are commonly made in atmospheric physics.

[1] I say "roughly equal" here since people actually use a couple of different definition of Ro in the literature. In observational stellar astrophysics the most common definition is Ro = Protc, where Prot is the rotation period and τc the convective turnover time scale. This measures the same physics as the definition of Ro given above but there is a 4π factor between their values. This definition also tries to characterise the whole interior of the rotating body and so discards the latitude factor sinΘ.
I'm still a little bit unsure of how this works; How are you to determine the flow velocity and the characteristic length? At least, what are those variables on Earth?
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I made a couple dozen signs in Calligraphic Caber.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
gach
MVP
MVP

Post by gach »

qwed117 wrote:I'm still a little bit unsure of how this works; How are you to determine the flow velocity and the characteristic length? At least, what are those variables on Earth?
The Wikipedia article gives some illustrative examples (from tornadoes to ordinary low-pressure systems). Different flow phenomena work in different scales and so they have different Rossby numbers. When calculating this, you need to select the characteristic values accordingly. In the atmospheric context the characteristic velocity would be the typical wind speed in the system you are looking at and the characteristic length scale the size of the relevant circulatory flows, such as convection cells or the diameters of tornaroes or low-pressure systems.

Do I understand correctly that you'd want to solve for the characteristic length d in the equation, provided that you know the rest of the variables? In principle you can try this and get some useful ballpark estimates for your circulation cell sizes. I'd be quite cautious in doing this, though. First of all, I don't know if there are any good arguments for assuming the value of the Rossby number for using in the calculations. At least provide us some citation that you can safely assume a certain value for a given atmospheric phenomenon. Secondly, the Rossby number, like other similar dimensionless numbers, is not exactly geared towards getting you decimal points worth of accuracy when actually used in calculations. Remember that the characteristic scales are exactly what they sound like, good representative values given to some parameterss that can in reality have a quite considerable ranges of variation. So just be careful and don't overinterpret your result.

For background, what the dimensionless numbers, like the Rossby number, are really good for, is comparing the terms of complex equations with each other and checking which of them might dominate over the other ones. If such a dimensionless number has a sufficiently large or small value, it can mean that you can safely forget some terms when solving difficult equations and hence significantly simplify them. As a result, dimensionless numbers are also useful for pointing important changes in the behaviour of various physical systems. A classical example is how the value of the Reynolds number relates to how fluid flow transitions between laminar and turbulent.
ImageKištaLkal sikSeic
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Determined that Yat-Vrkhazh will be a matriarchal and matrilineal society. Will have an avuncular household structure.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I've got a name for that Algonquian language I'm making. The people are going to call themselves the Akatanišono, if they don't refer to themselves by the name of their band, while the language will be called Aθošaašó "We speak thus". There's also an exonym, which is currently Les Acharnés "the Fierce Ones".
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Now Vrkhazhian has kinship terms (mašdahud bewařẕimaẏkud) in the form of a diagram:
Spoiler:
Basically, it's maternal grandparents, siblings of mother, children of siblings of mother, parents, siblings, ego, children of siblings of father, siblings of father, paternal grandparents