What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Lao Kou »

eldin raigmore wrote:2017/02/06 Monday February 6 2017 I turned 65 years old.
Happy Birthday!

道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I eliminated hyphenations of components of names and words, so now such are simply treated like one big word. No more is Yat-Vrkhazh Yat-Vrkhazh, now it's Yatvrkhazh. Vrkhazhian now has several words for king, emperor, land, and kingdom:

King
baz- affix derived from bahazi which in turn comes from ba- "high, heavenward, heavenly" and hazi "man, husband".
pšam- affix derived from bašama from ba- and šama "woman, wife"
These words affix to the given name of the monarch and they are only addressed by such:
baz- +ʾArašjun = Bazrašjun

Emperor (king of kings, ruler of many kingdoms)
ḵpav- affix derived from ba and ḵav- "human, tribe"
vakkam- noun derived from v-k-m "to rule over"
hoṭwoṉ- noun of Ethuanan origin, cognate to šoroṉ- "thunderstorm, giant"

Kingdom/Empire
maʾlis- noun derived from ʾ-l-s "to watch over"
yatbaz- noun derived from yat "land" and baz
vokmay- noun derived from v-k-m
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Made a few adjustments to Yélian (guess languages never stop changing [o.O] )

1. Overt marking of plural at noun/adjective does not occur with the adjective locan - cana - acana (much;many - more - most)

So earlier duinucanan -> duinucana (many animals)

2. The "plural double marking" is further restricted. Normally, irregular plural forms are retained even when followed by an adjective (that normally takes the marking).

Regular: avár -> aváran (cat - cats); avárlota -> avárlotan (big cat - big cats)
Irregular: ʻespem -> ʻespan (bird - birds); ʻespemlota -> ʻespanlotan (big bird - big birds)

This used to be the case for nouns ending on -in and -iys too, but now not anymore.

Old: teriyslota -> teriynlotan (big dog - big dogs)
New: teriyslota -> teriyslotan (big dog - big dogs)

3. The articulation of /ɸ/ has become further restricted: It was already silent before other consonants at the beginning of a word. Now it is always silent except if preceded by a vowel or at the beginning of a sentence. Example with the word parfi (actually)

Old: [paɾɸi]; new: [ˈpari]

4. The conditional mood is not used in negated conditional sentences: So when a stem is preceded by di-, the conditional mood takes place, but when preceded by dici-, it is not, indicative mood is used in that case.

Old: Re dicurvain. Re cidicurvain. (I would come. I would not come.)
New: Re dicurvain. Re cidicurai.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

gestaltist wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:z may be returning to Híí!

I've always had an issue with this phone/phoneme in Híí but my insistence on having a voicing contrast in ł l has always made me feel uncomfortable about not having a corresponding voicing contrast like s z. However, word forms like nízzko just weren't doing it for me.

I believe I've hit on a solution I like.

A couple of months ago I decided on having /ɾ/ r in Híí. r looks good intervocalically and doesn't occur in coda.

Now I've decided r is the intervocalic allophone of z just like w is the intervocalic allophone of l. What's more - and this is important for me aesthetically - z l will not occur as geminates in coda unlike s ł which do.

This ties in with another decision of mine. Geminate s ł are actually underlyingly /hs hł/ and will surface as hs hł after o but as ss łł after ı.

So now I have words like these:

óhskoweınoht
henéíohstono’

This is called having your cake and eating it.
Your attention to detail is unparalleled.
I'll take that as a compliment. [:)]

Also: Happy birthday, eldin!

Wait, does that mean you're exactly the same age as ERII's reign? (Or a day younger)
Edit: I was right! eldin was born the day George VI died! [:O]
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

I've worked out the syntax of positive affirmative indicative main clauses in UPK. Description here: viewtopic.php?p=247832#p247832

I also took a look at the first post of that thread and noticed that especially naksult' information was completely outdated and basically wrong. I should probably make a post outlining what's changed at some point, but I haven't worked out naksult' nearly well enough.

Also, a friend of mine drew me a map of the area Mesak's spoken in. It's only about halfway finished but way better than anything I could've made. Having that I can start working on way too detailed dialectology and diacheonics.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

gestaltist wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:z may be returning to Híí!

I've always had an issue with this phone/phoneme in Híí but my insistence on having a voicing contrast in ł l has always made me feel uncomfortable about not having a corresponding voicing contrast like s z. However, word forms like nízzko just weren't doing it for me.

I believe I've hit on a solution I like.

A couple of months ago I decided on having /ɾ/ r in Híí. r looks good intervocalically and doesn't occur in coda.

Now I've decided r is the intervocalic allophone of z just like w is the intervocalic allophone of l. What's more - and this is important for me aesthetically - z l will not occur as geminates in coda unlike s ł which do.

This ties in with another decision of mine. Geminate s ł are actually underlyingly /hs hł/ and will surface as hs hł after o but as ss łł after ı.

So now I have words like these:

óhskoweınoht
henéíohstono’

Your attention to detail is unparalleled.
I picture Des as having trouble sleeping because his phonotactical constraints are not aesthetically pleasing.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

loglorn wrote:I picture Des as having trouble sleeping because his phonotactical constraints are not aesthetically pleasing.
It's happened. [:$]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

DesEsseintes wrote:
loglorn wrote:I picture Des as having trouble sleeping because his phonotactical constraints are not aesthetically pleasing.
It's happened. [:$]
Me too, except it's sound changes I haven't added or something's not working the way I want it to. [O.O]
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Just found out i had left out two sound changes and now i'll have to redo most of the irregular verbs. I think they'll still be irregular but i have to find out how so.

alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

DesEsseintes wrote: So now I have words like these:

óhskoweınoht
henéíohstono’

I love reading your phonology decision posts. I find the thought process behind conlang choices more interesting than the choices themselves. I just love reading about people's motivations. Plus, I [<3] [<3] [<3] the aesthetics of your langs!
eldin raigmore wrote:2017/02/06 Monday February 6 2017 I turned 65 years old.
A day late, but happy birthday!
loglorn wrote:Just found out i had left out two sound changes and now i'll have to redo most of the irregular verbs. I think they'll still be irregular but i have to find out how so.
Doncha just love it when you do all this complicated work with sound changes, only to realize, just as you're sitting back with satisfaction, that you have to redo half of it! [:'(] This is the reason why I've never reformed the Tirina sound changes, although they really should be... I just can't face reworking already-existing words.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

alynnidalar wrote:
loglorn wrote:Just found out i had left out two sound changes and now i'll have to redo most of the irregular verbs. I think they'll still be irregular but i have to find out how so.
Doncha just love it when you do all this complicated work with sound changes, only to realize, just as you're sitting back with satisfaction, that you have to redo half of it! [:'(] This is the reason why I've never reformed the Tirina sound changes, although they really should be... I just can't face reworking already-existing words.
If it doesn't have descendants yet everything can be fixed. And anyway the lexicon is still small at this point.

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

DesEsseintes wrote:Wait, does that mean you're exactly the same age as ERII's reign?
Yes! Thanks for noticing (no-one else ever has)!

And I apparently share that birthday with Ricardo Antonio La Volpe Guarchoni,
and with Richard Ian "Ric" Charlesworth AO, (unless that's Richard Charsworth, Australian women field hockey head coach?).

(Also; I was born on Ronald Reagan's 41st birthday. Big whoop, I guess.)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

alynnidalar wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote: So now I have words like these:

óhskoweınoht
henéíohstono’

I love reading your phonology decision posts. I find the thought process behind conlang choices more interesting than the choices themselves. I just love reading about people's motivations. Plus, I [<3] [<3] [<3] the aesthetics of your langs!
Wow, thanks alynnidalar! [<3]

I always feel people must find these posts of mine extremely boring and/or unduly pernickety, so I'm glad someone likes them. I too enjoy reading about other people's musings about their languages and the creative processes behind them.

Let there be more!
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I started writing two short stories set in the World of Urland.
The first one gives a look on the education system of the Urland region, (ca. 1400s), the second one is a story of a developing friendship and a closer look on university life in Zerzhém (ca. 1410s), also shedding a light on magic.

All written in German.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

A first draft of some preterite morphology:

Code: Select all

cantái   /kã'tɛ/     dixai   /'diʃe/     valai   /'vale/     OR valai   /'vale/
canteste /kã'teste/  dixeste /di'ʃeste/  valeste /va'leste/     valeste /va'leste/
cantáu   /kã'tɔ/     dixai   /'diʃe/     valau   /'valo/        valai   /'vale/
cantaumu /kã'tɔmu/   díxemu  /'diʃemu/   valaumu /va'lɔmu/      válemu  /'valemu/
cantesti /kã'testi/  dixesti /di'ʃesti/  valesti /va'lesti/     valesti /va'lesti/
canterun /kã'terũ/   dixerun /di'ʃerũ/   valerun /va'lerũ/      valerun /va'lerũ/
Notes:
1. valaumu /va'lɔmu/ is from analogy with first-conjugation -aumu /ɔmu/, replacing *valomu /va'lomu/; many of the spellings of the endings of rhizotonic verb forms are similarly imported.
2. I'm still not sure which form of the valai-type verbs will win out: those derived from forms with vocalic V or those with consonantal V.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Worked out transitive patterns of agreement on verbs, plausible diachrony for allomorphy of neuter markers on verbs vs adjectives, and a probable template for allowed long diphthongs. Still fiddling with forms the voice affixes will take.

Satisfying. Outright the most grammar I've codified since Lexember.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Gone back to Frislandian for a revision again, and I think I've landed on the final draft of its phonology.

/p t t͡ʃ k/ <p t č k>
/s ɬ ʃ h/ <s ll š h>
/v z ʒ/ <v z ž>
/m n ɲ ŋ/ <m n nj ng>
/mː nː/ <mm nn>
/l j/ <l j>
/ɾ/ <r>

Stressed
/i e ɨ a u o/ <i e y a u o>
/ie̯ ɨa̯ uo̯ ɛɪ̯ aɨ̯ ɔʊ̯ ea̯ oa̯ ɔɪ̯/ <ie ya uo ei ay ou ea oa oi>

Unstressed
/ɪ̆ ə̆ ʊ̆ əɪ̯ əʊ̯/ <i a u ai au>

Syllable structure is (C)V(V)(F)(t s š), where VV is either a diphthong or a long vowel and F is one of /t s ɬ ʃ n/ and final clusters are /t n/ + /s ʃ/ or /s ɬ ʃ n/ + /t/

Stress is root-initial, though some derivational preffixes pull it about.

There are also some consonant mutations (more on that later), a leftover from the previous version.
Last edited by Frislander on 09 Feb 2017 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I drew stuff today and yesterday: The façade of a library and the hallway of the same building. Not quite finished yet.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I've been doing sketches when I really should be listening to the teacher in class [xD]

Here's one of my diachron sketches, a romlang, based off of Spanish. I'm basically exclusively a romlanger at this point.

mulier > muza, muzes
hominem > on, ones
corvum > corbu, corbos
corationem > coraz, corazes
insulam > isula, isulas
murem > mua, mue
septimaniam > senaza, senazas
oculum> ozu, ozos
auriculum > orizu, orizos
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Finally wrapped up all the leftover lexical paperwork from Lexember, which pushed me over a lexical milestone, so yay. Can now work on properly recording and catching up on Verbruary. [B)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名