What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Khemehekis »

Tweaked up the rules regarding the Kankonian particle osh.

WHAT WE ALREADY HAD:

The word "osh" indicates that you are applying the same adjective to a nominal that you applied to a previous nominal in the sentence:

Is akranen ash ye markam gudum mui trat osh.
1s take-PST on PREP-ADV coat red and hat OSH
I put on my red coat and hat. [The denotation here is that the hat is red.]

Yakh o envwetzas nephus kran o vazhares osh, yau Irlandikes os halas zwintz o kam Blahatz na Den Patrick.
if one wear-PRS shirt green or slacks OSH then Irish-PLURAL NEG will-PRESENT pinch one on day of Saint Patrick
If you are wearing green a shirt or slacks, the Irish will not pinch you on St. Patrick's Day.

NEW RULES:

If two nominals take the same adjective, but are mentioned in conjunction with a third nominal that does not take that adjective, do not use "osh". Simply repeat the adjective:

Trina anas *ine blan mui oimones blan mui khatal shalei.
Trina have-PRS hair brown and eye-PL brown and skin peach
Trina has brown hair and eyes and peach skin. [Brown hair, brown eyes, peach skin]

If more than two nominals all take the same adjective, rather than using "osh" Kankonian places "hal we" (all) after the last nominal, followed by the adjective:

Salipa anas *ine mui oimones mui khatal hal we blan.
Salipa have-PRS hair and eye-PL and skin all -ly brown
Salipa has brown hair, eyes and skin.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

With a new book and the updated list on frathwiki, the griuskant conlang now has a total publication of 5 books:
1 textbook, 2 translated literature sources and 2 beginner storybooks.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Pabappa wrote: 03 Feb 2018 23:27
Ahzoh wrote: 03 Feb 2018 21:30 I've been trying to overhaul the Charric languages so that it's not very large.
Are the stop pairs related. e.g. i see p/pʷ in one language, p/pʰ in another, p/pʕ in a third and p/p' in a fourth ... are these sets derived from a single original contrast, or is it more complex? Ive been working on something similar.
The stop series are derived from creaky voice and are basically the emphatic series.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I changed Shonkasika's progressive form from a periphrasis (an adverbial participle + a be-verb) to a synthetic form. Unlike the other verb inflections, which are suffixes, this one is a prefix: je- before consonants and jey- before vowels. This prefix can occur alongside just about any tense-aspect-mood form, although it is most common with the present, past, and perfect indicative.

lahut, jelahut I greet, I am greeting
lahutu, jelahutu I greeted, I was greeting
lahwipet, jelahwipet I have greet, I have been greeting
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Reyzadren wrote: 04 Feb 2018 07:16 With a new book and the updated list on frathwiki, the griuskant conlang now has a total publication of 5 books:
Exciting! I keep coming up with plans to translate/write lengthy pieces in Tirina, and yet... here I am, not doing any of that!

(I really should do some writing for CWS's CoWriMo event this month--like National Novel Writing Month, but to encourage people to write in their conlangs. But I just haven't felt the urge. (which means I should just do something, instead of sitting around waiting for this mysterious "urge" to materialize, but ah well))
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Wokring on my minimalist programm lang (which is only vaguely related to the minimalist programm, but has a lot of cute trees). Here are all possible word orders for a sentence with an adverbial preposition:
{people jump on tables,
jump people on tables,
people jump tables on,
jump people tables on,
on tables people jump,
on tables jump people,
tables on people jump,
tables on jump people}
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

alynnidalar wrote: 05 Feb 2018 16:57
Reyzadren wrote: 04 Feb 2018 07:16 With a new book and the updated list on frathwiki, the griuskant conlang now has a total publication of 5 books:
Exciting! I keep coming up with plans to translate/write lengthy pieces in Tirina, and yet... here I am, not doing any of that!

(I really should do some writing for CWS's CoWriMo event this month--like National Novel Writing Month, but to encourage people to write in their conlangs. But I just haven't felt the urge. (which means I should just do something, instead of sitting around waiting for this mysterious "urge" to materialize, but ah well))
Thanks [:D] , though all this really only started to hasten after finishing the textbook. It isn't a reference grammar as prized by many conlangers, so it has that flippant "pick up and go" feel to it, as well as the translations, which perhaps made the processes easier.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Nice! Interesting choice of Jeckyll & Hyde - - a personal favorite, or was there some other connexion to that work?

There's yet hope for the rest of us!
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Lambuzhao wrote: 04 Feb 2018 00:48Very interesting!

On a worldbuilding note, I hope that the Elbim of the Elvenisles will have a better time of simian indentured servitude than us humans.
I don't know yet to which extent monkeys were domesticated in the Commonwealth of the Elves; they probably weren't very widespread (I also don't know how well that would actually work in practice). And the Elbi are humans like you and me; while they tend to be tall, slender and lightly pigmented, they don't have extended lifespans, innate magical abilities or even pointed ears. They are just a human ethnic group that has some cultural similarities to modern fantasy Elves, and the idea is that they are the grain of truth in the Germanic and Celtic Elf-lore and also the Greek traditions of Hyperborea, the Phaeacians and Atlantis.
Edit: I should add which monkey species the Elves domesticated: Barbary macaques (Macaca sylvanus), as they are found in Morocco and Gibraltar.
Last edited by WeepingElf on 07 Feb 2018 16:25, edited 2 times in total.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

elemtilas wrote: 06 Feb 2018 04:03
Nice! Interesting choice of Jeckyll & Hyde - - a personal favorite, or was there some other connexion to that work?

There's yet hope for the rest of us!
I just assumed that it was one of the easier books to read/translate, so I chose it.
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I've been working on a new conlang, which i am calling Bàsupan. Bàsupan is a triconsonantal root language. The only other interesting features of it are its evidentiality system, and it's OVS word order.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Completely revamped the pronouns in my Charric language families so they're less boring and more varied:

Nominative

Code: Select all

1s  | žaẏ   | yī     | žıẏ    | zē/zĭ
2ms | ḳa    | kuā    | kha    | ḳā/ḳă
2fs | ši    | hī     | ši     | sē/sĭ
3ms | na    | nā     | na     | nā/nă
3fs | si    | sī     | si     | sē/sĭ
1p  | yeš   | yēhī   | yeši   | yēsē 
2mp | ḳar   | kuāḏ   | khad   | ḳad
2fp | šir   | hīḏ    | šid    | sid
3mp | nar   | nāḏ    | nad    | nad
3fp | sir   | sīḏ    | sid    | sid
Accusative

1s  | šadib | yīb    | žib    | zāyib
2ms | ḳab   | kuāib  | kheb   | ḳēb
2fs | šib   | hīb    | šib    | sīb
3ms | nab   | nāib   | neb    | nēb
3fs | sib   | sīb    | sib    | sīb
1p  | yešib | yēhīb  | yešib  | yēsīb 
2mp | ḳarib | kuāḏib | khadib | ḳāzib
2fp | širib | hīḏib  | šidib  | sēzib
3mp | narib | nāḏib  | nadib  | nāzib
3fp | sirib | sīḏib  | sidib  | sēzib
Genitive/Oblique

1s  | šadik | yīak   | žek    | zāyak
2ms | ḳak   | kuāk   | khak   | ḳāk
2fs | šik   | hīak   | šek    | sīk
3ms | nak   | nāk    | nak    | nāk
3fs | sik   | sīak   | sek    | sīk
1p  | yešik | yēhīak | yešek  | yēsīk 
2mp | ḳarak | kuāḏak | khadak | ḳāzak
2fp | širak | hīḏak  | šidak  | sēzak
3mp | narak | nāḏak  | nadak  | nāzak
3fp | sirak | sīḏak  | sidak  | sēzak
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Started working on Frislandian again, so now I have at least some words for rain, thunder and other weather phenomena:

tjyttirroju [ˈcytːɪˌɽojʊ] rain (lit.falling water)
opsi [ˈopʂɪ] cloud
àhlti [ˈâɬtɪ] fog
kóppurri [ˈkǒpːʊˌɽi] thunder (lit. thundering thing)
pàkali [ˈpâkəˌli] fork lightning (lit. thing that cracked/will crack)
llèpali [ˈɬêpəˌli] sheet lightning (lit. thing that flashed/will flash)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Reyzadren wrote: 07 Feb 2018 00:04
elemtilas wrote: 06 Feb 2018 04:03 Nice! Interesting choice of Jeckyll & Hyde - - a personal favorite, or was there some other connexion to that work?
I just assumed that it was one of the easier books to read/translate, so I chose it.
All the same, very impressive on your part!
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

I have made a slight variation in my Lorthoan calligraphy. This is still a work in progress. Click here to see my writing in motion.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I modified Shonkasika's verb paradigm a bit. I made the aorist (a sort of gnomic and present habitual) and the past habitual members of a full-fledged habitual/gnomic aspect, bringing the total to four: simple(unspecified), habitual, perfect, prospective. The habitual will have two possible regular formations: the most common and currently productive way is a suffix (-li non-future, -lo future), called the 'weak habitual', and an older, non-productive way, partial reduplication of the beginning of the verb stem, called the 'strong habitual'.

Taken with the strong future (ablaut, unproductive) vs. weak future(suffix -bo, productive), and the two groups of regular perfect formation (both suffixes), Shonkasika now has 8 regular verb conjugation classes that are not predictable from the citation form, the active infinitive.

The conjugation classes are grouped into 4 general classes, with each one subdivided into subclass A (with Group A perfects, in -ipe) and subclass B (with Group B perfects, in -uka):

Class 1: weak habitual, weak future
Class 2: weak habitual, strong future
Class 3: strong habitual, strong future
Class 4: strong habitual, weak future

Class 1 has the most members by far, followed in numerical order by the others (at least for now).
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Better figured out what starting phonology my catlang has, and how sound changes early on are going to differentiate it from Old Japanese both phonologically and grammatically. [:3]
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

I've started work on a list of specific nouns and verbs showing how they can be formed in way not so English-esc. I had this idea when i read something about the words Snail and Slug often being one word in languages.
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Hyolobrika
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Hyolobrika »

Parlox wrote: 13 Feb 2018 08:34 I've started work on a list of specific nouns and verbs showing how they can be formed in way not so English-esc. I had this idea when i read something about the words Snail and Slug often being one word in languages.
Can you explain further?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

In Kankonian, you use a different word depending on whether you're talking about a terrestrial slug or a sea slug!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!