What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Egerius »

Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Frislander wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:Last night I reintroduced /z/ along with intervocalic geminate /l/ in Híí and toyed with word forms such as hístsıwıréíllwe’eh and héreızzwenó’ohtso. I rejected this idea again about an hour later. So you could either say I accomplished nothing or something.
Of course it's something! Saying you did nothing is like saying that digging a hole and filling it in again is equivalent to not digging the hole in the first place, when it clearly isn't (You expended much energy digging, the ground you put back in will be disturbed compared to the surrounding ground etc.)
And it's very sweet of you to say so. [:3]
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Frislander wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:Last night I reintroduced /z/ along with intervocalic geminate /l/ in Híí and toyed with word forms such as hístsıwıréíllwe’eh and héreızzwenó’ohtso. I rejected this idea again about an hour later. So you could either say I accomplished nothing or something.
Of course it's something! Saying you did nothing is like saying that digging a hole and filling it in again is equivalent to not digging the hole in the first place, when it clearly isn't (You expended much energy digging, the ground you put back in will be disturbed compared to the surrounding ground etc.)
And it's very sweet of you to say so. [:3]
Now kith.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Pazmat has a new imperative.

buntarus! "eat!" (sg.)
bunturre! "eat!" (pl.)

-urre is a contraction of earlier -aruse: -aruse > -urse* > -urre

*: In Pazmat, it's common for a syncopated vowel to "jump back" and "replace" a preceding /a/--this also often happens when a syncopated mid vowel follows a high vowel, but this also lengthens (i.e uCoCa > ōCCa)

In the singular, common contractions, in order of increasing casualness/roughness, are: -rus, -Cus, -Cu. eyu! "GO!"
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

Not all of this was today, but I settled on verbal categories for my conlang Niûro nCora and wrote up a very brief introduction to verbal morphology. In the process of finalizing those decisions, I realized that I have another sketch of a project that also distinguishes between incepted and expected aspects as a major component of its verbal system. Now I'm considering whether to try to make them related (which will be fairly easy since neither has much vocabulary, but difficult because of their radically different case and personal agreement systems): Namely, both would share the incepted/expected aspectual difference as an innovation.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I listen to a recording of baboon calls and decided the Vrkhazhian word for baboon was ramə- or ravə- which is an onomatopoeia of what they're saying. Particularly the yellow baboon: https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... R1_C1).ogg
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I think I finally understood the principles of alliterative verse.
This directly goes into the World of Urland, I guess, as the method of creating ritual spells.
The only modification to the Old English alliterative verse I'd introduce is that front vowels only alliterate with other front vowels, and back vowels only with other back vowels.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

I made numbers for a new lang (collab world). They aren't based on any base, but cut off at 24 (with 25 being also used for larger numbers) and have a pretty consistent cycle of three:

1 á one
2 inul eyes
3 khal spears
4 khalá spears + one
5 khalinul spears + eyes
6 tunil arrows
7 tunilá arrows + one
8 tuninul arrows + eyes (elision of -il)
9 pínal weapons (arrows + spears)
10 pínalá weapons + one
11 pínalinul weapons + eyes
12 utuníl birds
13 utuníla birds + one
14 utunínul birds + eyes (elision of -íl but retention of high tone)
15 alíl fishes
16 alíla fishes + one
17 alínul fishes + eyes (elision of -íl but retention of high tone)
18 khistal bugs
19 khistalá bugs + one
20 khistalinul bugs + eyes
21 ítaslíspu I have walked
22 ítiginímu I have talked
23 ísinassámu I have run
24 íkunúgunamu I have hunted (killed for food)
25+ ímalilpu I live
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

I have been fighting and fighting with algebra and a spreadsheet to figure out the basic information about Mto as a world, but I keep running into "oh, and that thing also has an effect". Right now, it's trying to figure out how to account for axial precession when dealing with the difference between the tropical year and sidereal year.

When I'm done with this, though, I think I'll end up with a spreadsheet that will be of lots of use to some people here, in terms of "put in a couple of values, and it will tell you potentially useful information about your planet" sorts of things.

But right now it's frustrating. And I keep being wishy-washy about pinning down my actual values for things.

(And I'm completely ignoring the eccentricity of Mto's orbit for calculating its calendar, just because I'm not that good at calculus)
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

SUCCESS!

Using the mean radius of the Earth, the flattening ratio of the Earth, the angular velocity at the equator of the Earth, the number of solar days in a tropical year, and the period of axial precession in local solar days, I was able to successfully calculate that a solar day on Earth is 86399.98018 seconds long! Which is 20 milliseconds off, but I'll take what I can get, especially as I didn't actually take the axial precession fully into account like I maybe should have, except that it would gum up all of the nice algebra I'd done.

...writing it out like that, it seems like an absolutely random selection of things to work with, but it's what I needed. Now that I'm done yak shaving, I just need to remember what it was I was trying to do in the first place.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I created Vrkhazhian's longest word swiẕilẕarẕag-, it is a type of Vrkhazhian demon. A humanoid with legs made of some kind of obsidian and its left arm is that of a wolf.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I decided on a tiny detail in Modern Wínlandisch (rather, its Cockney-equivalent):

eː oː → eɪ̯ oʊ̯ /_, except /_{ɹɻɫ}
i̯uː → juː /_
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

I decided that maybe trying to cram perfect order into my conlang isn't as feasible as I'd've thought, so I'm going to focus more on the thematic aspects of it. Along with this, I'm going to change my lexicon approach to something a little more regular.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Within the (I think) biggest word extension of Yèlian at once all-time, I added 45 new lexemes to Yélian. (1 new root). Embarassingly, one of the word I lacked was "Energy" (now baran, from the root *br)
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

I translated a rather lengthy manuscript into Sharan. It took me about three hours to translate, gloss, and transcribe phonetically. I'd say that it extended my lexicon, but it's just full with relatively negative and esoteric words now.

o wel
Eritzap
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Eritzap »

I finished reworking the declensions of my conlang Fa, with its heavy and exotic system of consonant mutations.
Example
Spoiler:
Ǩi faʼ : The world
Singular - Plural
ǩi faʼ - ŗi fæʼ
ǩi faŧ - ŗi fæŧ
ŗi ŧaŧ - ŗi fat
ħi saʼ - ħi ŧaŧ
hi ʃaŧ - ħi ŧæŧ
ŗi ŧat - hi sæt
Image Eritzap [ɛʁid͡zɑp]
:bel: :fra: :deu: :lat: :epo: :con:
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

I have decided to let off some steam with some more Germano-Slavic diachronism, this time with Belarusian.

Хузлар скраб рот княже медзь фёдра.
Xuzlar skrab rot knjaže mjedz' fjodra.
[ˈxuz̪l̪ar s̪krap rɔt̪ ˈkn̪ʲaʐɛ mʲɛd̪͡z̪ʲ ˈfʲɔd̪ra]
priest write-3SG.PST letter-ACC king-DAT with feather-INST
The priest wrote a letter to the king with a feather.

Важасудзя вёкар луд брaнiня вола барона.
Važasudzja vjokar lud braninja vola barona.
[vaʐaˈs̪ud̪͡z̪ʲa ˈvʲɔkar l̪ud̪ braˈn̪ʲin̪ʲa ˈvɔl̪a baˈrɔn̪a]
terrorise-3SG.PST necromancer land-ACC burn-VN-INST all-ACC.PL child-ACC.PL
The necromancer terrorised the land by burning all the children.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

z may be returning to Híí!

I've always had an issue with this phone/phoneme in Híí but my insistence on having a voicing contrast in ł l has always made me feel uncomfortable about not having a corresponding voicing contrast like s z. However, word forms like nízzko just weren't doing it for me.

I believe I've hit on a solution I like.

A couple of months ago I decided on having /ɾ/ r in Híí. r looks good intervocalically and doesn't occur in coda.

Now I've decided r is the intervocalic allophone of z just like w is the intervocalic allophone of l. What's more - and this is important for me aesthetically - z l will not occur as geminates in coda unlike s ł which do.

This ties in with another decision of mine. Geminate s ł are actually underlyingly /hs hł/ and will surface as hs hł after o but as ss łł after ı.

So now I have words like these:

óhskoweınoht
henéíohstono’

This is called having your cake and eating it.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

DesEsseintes wrote:z may be returning to Híí!

I've always had an issue with this phone/phoneme in Híí but my insistence on having a voicing contrast in ł l has always made me feel uncomfortable about not having a corresponding voicing contrast like s z. However, word forms like nízzko just weren't doing it for me.

I believe I've hit on a solution I like.

A couple of months ago I decided on having /ɾ/ r in Híí. r looks good intervocalically and doesn't occur in coda.

Now I've decided r is the intervocalic allophone of z just like w is the intervocalic allophone of l. What's more - and this is important for me aesthetically - z l will not occur as geminates in coda unlike s ł which do.

This ties in with another decision of mine. Geminate s ł are actually underlyingly /hs hł/ and will surface as hs hł after o but as ss łł after ı.

So now I have words like these:

óhskoweınoht
henéíohstono’

This is called having your cake and eating it.
Your attention to detail is unparalleled.
Last edited by gestaltist on 07 Feb 2017 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

2017/02/06 Monday February 6 2017 I turned 65 years old.