What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Axiem »

The interesting thing I found when going through the Kepler motions for my planet relative to its sun was that since its local solar days were of a different length than Earth's, getting to the number of local solar days for a year was actually a lot of work.

And then I ended up going backwards, saying "if Mto's solar day is X seconds, and I want its tropical year to be Y local solar days, and the precession of its axis is Z local tropical years, then how long its its sidereal year, from which I can determine how far away from its sun it is?" (The current answer is 1.039 AU)

...sorry, I digress.

Where's a tidal forces calculator, because I'll end up doing that pretty soon, since I'm almost to my moon system, once I can get my Hill Sphere calculated.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Axiem wrote:Where's a tidal forces calculator, because I'll end up doing that pretty soon, since I'm almost to my moon system, once I can get my Hill Sphere calculated.
http://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1360312100
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Ahzoh wrote:
Axiem wrote:Where's a tidal forces calculator, because I'll end up doing that pretty soon, since I'm almost to my moon system, once I can get my Hill Sphere calculated.
http://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1360312100
Awesome, thanks! While I still try to work out the math myself (and post about it on my blog, which I've linked to here), it's nice having these as a backup to double-check my math.

In more thread-related news, I've mostly been going back and forth on whether I want to allow invisibility magic in my world, and what effects that decision would have. It's not much (other hobbies + life have gotten in the way as of late), but it stands to have a massive impact on the plot of my novel if nothing else, so I want to consider it carefully.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Axiem wrote:In more thread-related news, I've mostly been going back and forth on whether I want to allow invisibility magic in my world, and what effects that decision would have. It's not much (other hobbies + life have gotten in the way as of late), but it stands to have a massive impact on the plot of my novel if nothing else, so I want to consider it carefully.
Criminal activities like stealing and assassination would be much easier. Hope you have invisibility detection magic.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

I Made an idiom to go in my conlang:
"A politician's answer" - To respond to a question with extended talk about a related topic without actually answering the question at all.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Well aren't you so bold and extra-insightful.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

MrKrov wrote:Well aren't you so bold and extra-insightful.
Sarcasm? I think it's quite an amusing idiom myself.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

If that were the case, it wouldn't be a very realistic idiom. Play nice.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Ahzoh wrote:
Axiem wrote:In more thread-related news, I've mostly been going back and forth on whether I want to allow invisibility magic in my world, and what effects that decision would have. It's not much (other hobbies + life have gotten in the way as of late), but it stands to have a massive impact on the plot of my novel if nothing else, so I want to consider it carefully.
Criminal activities like stealing and assassination would be much easier. Hope you have invisibility detection magic.
Indeed, but it also has implications for the magic system. Can you make objects invisible, or only people? Are there other limits, such as time? If you can make something invisible, how does that work, and can you use those same principles to do something else that isn't immediately obvious?

And then, if there's a way to counter-act it, how does that work? Who has access to that—everyone, or just some? What impact does that have on e.g. sporting events, political rallies, school campuses...?

Then, how does all of this impact the story I want to tell?

(I'd like to try to avoid a "why don't the Eagles...?" problem as best I can)
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I think I developed a possible creation story for Sedu's three moons. Involves Mother Sky and Father Earth mating and giving birth to three sons, named Shurdi, Nnukhi, and Uzzoti.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I just made some spreadsheets on Google Drive for some of my lexicons…put in over six hundred entries for Archaic Wǫkratąk alone (I was surprised by just how many words had been coined). My wrist is a wreck now, lol.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Present-Day Modern Wínlandisch phonemes** (ca 3000 Wínchaster Learned Speech)

Code: Select all

m          n					  ŋ
p b      t d					k ɡ	h
    θ ð  t͡s d͡z   t͡ʃ d͡ʒ
f v        s z   ʃ ʒ			
             l      ɹ   j        ʍ w

/ɹ/ = [ɻ] word-finally, [ɾ] between a stressed vowel and a reduced vowel; also as ‘linking r’
/l/ = [ɫ] word-finally

iː ɪ  	uː ʊ
eː e  	oː o
ɛː	ə	ɔː
æ	ɐː	ɒː ɒ
ä	aː	ɑ

/e o/ may be realised as [ɛ ɔ]; /ə o/ are found in unstressed syllables; /o/ is not found in final unstressed syllables

/æɪ̯ ɒʊ̯ ɒɪ̯ ɪ̯ʊ/ — [eɪ̯ oʊ̯] are diphthongal allophones of [eː oː] in open syllables, found mostly in the working classes
/ɪːɻ ɛːɻ aːɻ ɒːɻ ɔːɻ ɪ̯ʊːɻ/ = [ɪə̯ ɪə̯ ɛə̯ ɒə̯ ɔə̯ (ɪ̯)ʊə̯] followed by /ɹ/
/aɪ̯ə ɑʊ̯ə eɪ̯ə oʊ̯ə, ɒɪ̯ə/ — centering diphthongs are always followed by /ɹ/

Standard Lexical Sets

KIT [ɪ]         FLEECE [iː]     NEAR [ɪːɻ]
DRESS [ɛ]       FACE [æː]       SQUARE [ɛːɻ]
TRAP [ä]        PALM [ɑ]        START [aːɻ]
LOT [ɒ]         THOUGHT [ɒː]    NORTH [ɒːɻ]
STRUT [ʊ ~ ɤ]*  GOAT [oː]       FORCE [ɔːɻ]
FOOT [ʊ]        GOOSE [uː]      CURE [ɪ̯ʊːɻ]
BATH [aː]       PRICE [æɪ̯]      HAPPY [ɪ]
CLOTH [ɒ]       CHOICE [ɒɪ̯]     LETTER [əɻ]
NURSE [ɐːɻ]     MOUTH [ɒʊ̯]      COMMA [ə]
* = not sure yet.
**Currently drawing from English

Does this remind you of West Country-English or does this sound like it could be ca. 1750?
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Larryrl
sinic
sinic

Post by Larryrl »

OTʜᴇB wrote:
Sarcasm? I think it's quite an amusing idiom myself.
I agree. Easier to rip out a toenail, it hurts less than waiting for a politician's answer.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Bu mac zoom pana shem.
Me too sexy for shirt.
Kle mac bu run
So sexyI hurt

Beef steak is good
wos pis ho tu
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I did quite a bit of work on Proto-Dujajikiswə, including the nightmare that is its kinship system.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Linguifex wrote:... the nightmare that is its kinship system.
I wanna see!
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Linguifex wrote:... the nightmare that is its kinship system.
I wanna see!
[url=http://cbbforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&p=249745#p249745]Here[/url], I wrote:Kinship! This is going to be funactually, it was much less painful than I thought once I got the gist of it.
Wikipedia contributors wrote:Floyd Lounsbury discovered[1] a seventh, Dravidian, type of terminological system that had been conflated with Iroquois in Morgan’s typology of kin-term systems because both systems distinguish relatives by marriage from relatives by descent, although both are classificatory categories rather than based on biological descent. The basic idea is that of applying an even/odd distinction to relatives that takes into account the gender of every linking relative for ego’s kin relation to any given person. A MFBD(C), for example, is a mother’s father’s brother’s daughter’s child. If each female link (M,D) is assigned a 0 and each male (F,B) a 1, the number of 1s is either even or odd; in this case, even. However, variant criteria exist.[2][3][4] In a Dravidian system with a patrilineal modulo-2 counting system, marriage is prohibited with this relative, and a marriageable relative must be modulo-2 odd. There exists also a version of this logic with a matrilineal bias. Discoveries of systems that use modulo-2 logic, as in South Asia, Australia, and many other parts of the world, marked a major advance in the understanding of kinship terminologies that differ from kin relations and terminologies employed by Europeans.

The Dravidian kinship system involves selective cousinhood. One's father's brother's children and one's mother's sister's children are not cousins but brothers and sisters one step removed. They are considered consanguinous (pangali), and marriage with them is strictly forbidden as incestuous. However, one's father's sister's children and one's mother's brother's children are considered cousins and potential mates (muraicherugu). Marriages between such cousins are allowed and encouraged. There is a clear distinction between cross cousins, who are one's true cousins and parallel cousins, who are, in fact, siblings. Like Iroquois people, Dravidians refer to their father's sister as mother-in-law and their mother's brother as father-in-law.
So…

F = Father
B = Brother
N = Son
M = Mother
S = Sister
D = Daughter

Matrilineal: (F,B,N) = 0, (M,S,D) = 1
Marriageable = modulo-2 odd

FSD = 2 X
FBD = 1 O
MBD = 2 X
MSD = 3 O
MBN = 1 O

sajis father's brother's daughter; mother's sister's daughter
ɛweñ father's sister's son; mother's brother's son
əʔɛng brother; father's brother's son; mother's sister's daughter (older)
eʔjok brother; father's brother's son; mother's sister's daughter (younger or same age)
jeh sister; father's sister's daughter; mother's brother's daughter (older)
adni sister; father's sister's daughter; mother's brother's daughter (younger or same age)

ñɛpke father's brother
kukiṉ father's sister
saswəu father's father
soy father's mother
pɛʔu mother's brother
ñeeja mother's sister
jɛngho mother's father
kaw mother's mother

(Below, "brother" and "sister" include the cousins that would be included as well; "cousin" does not.)

uʔejəs older brother's son
ɛjsoñ younger brother's son
wiungə older brother's daughter
sule younger brother's daughter
ʔuak older sister's son
ʔaj younger sister's son
kəłiso older sister's daughter
əuʔa younger sister's daughter
ekɛn cousin's son
ohjung cousin's daughter

As for today, I got some vocab creation done for Proto-Dujajikiswə (as well as some grammar) thanks to the /r/conlangs CDN relay, and I got a spreadsheet done for all the lexical entries in Uhuiquénta thus far. I hope to tackle the beast that is Common Caber within the week.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

I like that kinship system. I really should be more creative with my kinship systems.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

For a relay over on the /r/conlangs discord I made a speedlang that will serve as a substrate for Mesak. The Mesittoh (speakers of Mesak) call it Cíci (ǂiǂi), imitative of the clicks, the speakers being Cícoh (ǂiǃɔʁ̞), which also serves as "foreigner" and "idiot". Basically barbarian.

Anyway, Cici, I really like the language. I worked out the system within a few hours and jotted it down. It's got clicks and tones and I really like how the tones act. I'll try to formulate a rigorous OT algorithm for how they act and then probably make a post here as the language is actually undeveloped enough to allow me to write about it here.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Finished ripping apart and entirely rebinding one of first books about / from The World that I ever made. Probably almost 25 years ago now!

The original four volumes were pretty tattered and absolutely horrifically bound (all staples and globs of rubber cement!) and difficult to deal with. Tip: if you ever do try binding your own books, do nòt use rubber cement! It doesn't get along at all well with paper. Binders glue really does work best. I can't even remember now why I stapled the things together rather than sew. Probably hadn't tried sewing a book yet. [:S] And anyway, some of my early book sewing experiments were in fact pretty horrible --- little more than two holes punched in the spine and tied up with a loose ring of twine. Not very stable. And of course, the covers were attached with rubber cement! [O.O]

All that changed when I learned (or actually, figured out on my own) how to do Oriental book binding techniques. Much more secure, and no more rubber cement! :mrgreen:

For this project I decided to separate the whole thing into logical sections, because each of the original volumes shared parts in common. Like, there were maps in two different volumes and religious works in three. So it only made sense to put all the like sections together.

I also decided against the usual Oriental binding and went went for a modified form (running the stitches up the spine without making any stitches around the spine). Reason being, I decided to glue and stitch the end papers on all in one go.

I used a long tapestry needle and hemp twine to make the bindings; then it's just a matter of in-and-out the window, round the trees and dosados and swing yer partner too and fro! Make sure all the bindings are tight, tie the ends off and bring them out through the spine to keep the extra length tucked away. All the sewing was done either under a heavy weight or else between boards in a vise in order to keep the pages pressed together. Then it was just a matter of folding over the end papers and gluing the covers on to the papers.

Then, I measured the thickness of the book, cut up a piece of waste paperboard for the new spine and taped it in place with binders tape.

Lastly, all the pages had to be renumbered, since they're now in a completely different order! I think the end result looks pretty good, if I do say so myself!
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

elemtilas wrote:Lastly, all the pages had to be renumbered, since they're now in a completely different order! I think the end result looks pretty good, if I do say so myself!
Share a picture please?

I brought the lexicon of Proto-Taltic up from around 150 entries to 700.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma