False cognates

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Re: False cognates

Post by DrGeoffStandish »

Aszev wrote:I think it is generally accepted that hjá is related to hjú, my guess is that the Nynorsk dictionary has just copied the definition from Bokmål hos. I haven't seen that etymology suggested elsewhere.
I've noticed that the etymologies in that source are somewhat dubious when I've cross checked with other sources.
Aszev wrote:It's from hér með. Reinhammar notes both hermä and hemä (with varying spellings, of course).
I've always assumed hér með as the etymology but have never seen anything written about it so couldn't be sure. I've never heard the r when jamts have pronounced the word, otherwise the etymology would've been easy to figure out. (Unless there's a hypercorrection going on.)
Aszev wrote:Also common is dä(r)mä (< þær með) and just .
OK, though the etymology would rather be þar með (the "ä" is analogical, I reckon). So, basically the etymology is með with hér or þar optionally added.
Aszev wrote:It can be noted that Jamtish is not alone in lacking hos - it is a thouroughly southern word.
So it's með in most Norwegian, Svea and Northern Swedish dialects?
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

DrGeoffStandish wrote:
Aszev wrote:Also common is dä(r)mä (< þær með) and just .
OK, though the etymology would rather be þar með (the "ä" is analogical, I reckon). So, basically the etymology is með with hér or þar optionally added.
13th century East Norwegian seems to have had þær, contrasting with West Norwegian þar. What this means for Jamtish I cannot say, but it doesn't strike me as an unreasonable feature.
DrGeoffStandish wrote:
Aszev wrote:It can be noted that Jamtish is not alone in lacking hos - it is a thouroughly southern word.
So it's með in most Norwegian, Svea and Northern Swedish dialects?
is used in Jämtland, Härjedalen and western Hälsningland. Most of Central and Northern Sweden (incl. northern Västergötland and Värmland) as well as Finland has när/ner. Southern Sweden has hos, except for Öland which has nästa/näster (which also occurs in Ovansiljan, Finland and Västerbotten) and Gotland which has bäi (from Low German ). There are also the competing forms i in Northern Sweden (DA-HL and northwards), and te in Southern Sweden (~SK-HL-BL-SM-VG).
DrGeoffStandish
banned

Post by DrGeoffStandish »

Aszev wrote:13th century East Norwegian seems to have had þær, contrasting with West Norwegian þar. What this means for Jamtish I cannot say, but it doesn't strike me as an unreasonable feature.
At least we must've had þarna rather than þærna since we today have "dan" coming from this. The only MJ form I've heard when it comes to þar/þær is "der" which seems to be analogical form which has borowed the vowel from "her" < hér. I think I've seen "dar" in text (analogical form based on from "dan"?) but have never heard or seen "där/dær" < *þær. This is worth looking up more closely.
Aszev wrote: is used in Jämtland, Härjedalen and western Hälsningland.
(North-)Western Hälsingland is traditionally to be considered as eastern Härjedalen since the dialect seems to have been spread eastwards along Ljusnan river to about Ljusdaland to some extent the Dellen lakes (that's why the football player Tomas Brolin, Näsviken, speaks with a Härjedalish accent while the musician Östen Eriksson, Enånger, speaks with a Hälsinglandish accent even though they grew up only some 20km from each other). So it makes sense.
Aszev wrote:Most of Central and Northern Sweden (incl. northern Västergötland and Värmland) as well as Finland has när/ner. Southern Sweden has hos, except for Öland which has nästa/näster (which also occurs in Ovansiljan, Finland and Västerbotten) and Gotland which has bäi (from Low German ). There are also the competing forms i in Northern Sweden (DA-HL and northwards), and te in Southern Sweden (~SK-HL-BL-SM-VG).
Yeah, I recognize näst from Elfdalian. Could it be superlative of när? BTW, why doesn't Swedish have när when that seems to be the form preferred by the dialects on which the standard language is based? Is hos an older form which när has ourtcompeted in those dialects? But när/näst seems to be used in the more archaic dialects spoken in e.g. Dalarna.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

DrGeoffStandish wrote:Yeah, I recognize näst from Elfdalian. Could it be superlative of när?
That's technically/historically what it is in in the standard language too (när itself being the comparative of nå).
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Has it been mentioned that there is a Japanese sword called a sai that kind of resembles the Greek letter psi? (I know the Greek pronunciation doesn't sound much like sai at all, but still…)
Xonen

Post by Xonen »

GrandPiano wrote:Has it been mentioned that there is a Japanese sword called a sai that kind of resembles the Greek letter psi? (I know the Greek pronunciation doesn't sound much like sai at all, but still…)
Yes, in fact, although not in this thread.
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

:eng: much, :esp: mucho
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

I was just reading about single-word serial verbs (sometimes also called verb compounding, although that term is ambiguous and not used in this book that I've read) in Olutec and the word for do is "tun" so it's spelled the same as German to do "tun" even though I'm guessing the Olutec one has an unaspirated t and a short vowel.

Also reminds me of a more boring false cognate, Italian grosso and related words to German groß.

Edit: Olutec also has a wa:nʔ meaning want.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

I always found it interesting how in modern Arabic ة is pronounced as /a/ and is used at the end of most feminine nouns and is used to make feminine nouns and adjective forms much like /a/ is used in many Romance languages.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

OE ān and Korean han(a)- "one"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
HinGambleGoth
sinic
sinic

Post by HinGambleGoth »

:gla: braw
:swe: bra

They both sound and mean the same, and it is often attributed to "vikings", but the scottish word is loaned from Gaelic breá whilst the swedish word is a fairly late loan attested since the 17th century, a shortened form of :fra: brave
[:D] :se-og: :fi-al2: :swe:
[:)] :nor: :usa: :uk:
:wat: :dan: :se-sk2: :eng:
[B)] Image Image :deu:
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Squall wrote::eng: much, :esp: mucho
Wait, those aren't cognates?? I never realized!
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

alynnidalar wrote:
Squall wrote::eng: much, :esp: mucho
Wait, those aren't cognates?? I never realized!
I thought the same thing. Apparently, :eng: much goes back to PIE *meǵa-/*meǵh₂-, while :esp: mucho goes back to Latin multus - Wiktionary doesn't say what the PIE ancestor of multus is, but the Latin descendants of *meǵh₂- are magnus, maior, magis, magister, and mactus.
Sumelic
greek
greek

Post by Sumelic »

Are "main" and "magnus" cognates? I always thought they were, then I wasn't sure, then I looked them up on Wiktionary and it seems to me like they are again.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Sumelic wrote:Are "main" and "magnus" cognates? I always thought they were, then I wasn't sure, then I looked them up on Wiktionary and it seems to me like they are again.
No, laryngeals.
PIE main = megh
PIE magnus = megh2
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

English snake, Old Chinese 蜴 *lek "lizard"
English flee, Old Chinese 逸 *lit "flee"
English male, Old Chinese 牡 *muʔ "male"
English man, Old Chinese 民 *miŋ "people" (or modern Mandarin 民 mín "people")
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

GrandPiano wrote:English man, Old Chinese 民 *miŋ "people" (or modern Mandarin 民 mín "people")
Or visually even closer with Canto 民 man/men (depending on who's romanizing)
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Cantonese gets a hip short form now? :p
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Prinsessa wrote:Cantonese gets a hip short form now? :p
Had it since at least the 80s for us hep cats.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.