Sardinian & African Romance [split]

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Re: (L&N) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Isfendil »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote:Ah, yes, African Romance. I never knew anyone had identified features it had, but that's interesting. It makes sense that it might be connected to Sardinian too. Too bad there's no extant Romance language spoken there. Wonder what would it be like--if Tunisians spoke Tunisian, an African Romance language. I'm sure some conlanger has already created that one :mrgreen:
You mean Cartagenese, as I think Arabs called it Tunis later. Yes, it's a shame that these regions weren't more populated, elsewhise you could've gotten something like Spanish or Farsi. Muslim Romance speakers with a thriving literary tradition. Why, even Punic could've survived under similar circumstances...
Xonen

Re: Sardinian & African Romance

Post by Xonen »

I think this discussion no longer qualifies as a "quick question", so I'm splitting it. Anyway:
Avo wrote:As for the odd one out, of course Sardinian has developments that are different from any other Romance langage. So does every other Romance language, they wouldn't be separate languages if they didn't. I just don't see how anything Sardinian does is more odd than, let's say, French eroding entire series of consonants away or Romanian innovating a whole new case system. But yeah, that's a matter of definition I guess.
Right; it might be more accurate to say that Sardinian is the odd one out because it lacks certain developments that have taken place in all the rest of Romance, apparently forming a distinct branch within the family on its own. But "odd one out" doesn't necessarily equal odd, as such (at least AFAIU, but then again, I don't speak English). And yeah, French is no doubt weirder as a language.

qwed117 wrote:I would say Sardinian is not a particularly interesting language
[...]
Sardinian is a strange language
[...]
Sardinian is a clusterf***
Huh, well that escalated in the space of one post. [:D]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Sardinian & African Romance [split]

Post by qwed117 »

I did include the word (alone) which sorta changes the meaning. If you look just on the unique features of Sardinian, you won't find many interesting. If you look at it as "why do all roads lead to Cagliari" it's one hell of a language. "Strange" and "Cagliarian clusterf***" are two locale of the spectrum of "milquetoast Engelang" to "wtf Fith except hell"
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad