Clicking future.

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Clicking future.

Post by qwed117 »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:There, Slavic phonology with clicks:
/a e ẽ: i o õ: u/<a e ę i o ǫ u>

/m n nʲ/<m n nj>
/p b t tʲ d dʲ k kʲ g kʲ gʲ /<p b t tj d dj k kj g gj>
/! !ʲ ʞ ʞʲ/<! !j ʞ ʞj>
/f~ʍ v~w s z ʃ ʒ x xʲ/<f v s z sj zj x xj>
/t͡s d͡z t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/<c dz cj dzj>
/l lʲ r rʲ j/<l lj r rj j>

Tvo!ę nǫsj dinu.
/two!ʲẽ: nõ:ʃ dʲinu/
tvo!-ę n-ǫsj dinu
something-NOM.MASC.SG 3.PRES-die always
Something always dies.
Velar clicks are physiologically impossible tho (they retired the IPA symbol since they can't exist)

EDIT: Apparently back-released velar clicks are a thing, never mind
I can't do those. The best I try is like a hyper-retroflex consonant, where my tongue stretches back far enough to touch my velum.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

elemtilas wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:I can only infer that this dislike stems from people finding these features too alien.
I love both clicks and tone...Look how mature and superior I am!
Well, yes. But let's not forget that naturalism thang. After you've done the 97 phonemes thing, the click thing, and the triconsonantal stem thing (less so the tonal thing), what's left? Pooh-poohing someone else's lang for a lack of naturalism.
Mgmg. I wonder who these "people" are... They are most vexing!
They are, specifically, several members of the CBB IRC channel who told me they had a "visceral hatred" of clicks when I mentioned that I was working on a clicklang. They are, of course, fully entitled to their opinion. There are undoubtedly language features that I have an aversion to (six-vowel systems with /y/ spring to mind, for a more specifically conlang-related feature), but I just wanted to point that a dislike of clicks and tones was more common in my experience. No, I do not find it particularly vexing.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

DesEsseintes wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Lao Kou wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:I can only infer that this dislike stems from people finding these features too alien.
I love both clicks and tone...Look how mature and superior I am!
Well, yes. But let's not forget that naturalism thang. After you've done the 97 phonemes thing, the click thing, and the triconsonantal stem thing (less so the tonal thing), what's left? Pooh-poohing someone else's lang for a lack of naturalism.
Mgmg. I wonder who these "people" are... They are most vexing!
They are, specifically, several members of the CBB IRC channel who told me they had a "visceral hatred" of clicks when I mentioned that I was working on a clicklang. They are, of course, fully entitled to their opinion. There are undoubtedly language features that I have an aversion to (six-vowel systems with /y/ spring to mind, for a more specifically conlang-related feature), but I just wanted to point that a dislike of clicks and tones was more common in my experience. No, I do not find it particularly vexing.
Hey!
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

qwed117 wrote:
DesEsseintes wrote:...
Hey!
Hey.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:There, Slavic phonology with clicks:
/a e ẽ: i o õ: u/<a e ę i o ǫ u>

/m n nʲ/<m n nj>
/p b t tʲ d dʲ k kʲ g kʲ gʲ /<p b t tj d dj k kj g gj>
/! !ʲ ʞ ʞʲ/<! !j ʞ ʞj>
/f~ʍ v~w s z ʃ ʒ x xʲ/<f v s z sj zj x xj>
/t͡s d͡z t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/<c dz cj dzj>
/l lʲ r rʲ j/<l lj r rj j>

Tvo!ę nǫsj dinu.
/two!ʲẽ: nõ:ʃ dʲinu/
tvo!-ę n-ǫsj dinu
something-NOM.MASC.SG 3.PRES-die always
Something always dies.
Velar clicks are physiologically impossible tho (they retired the IPA symbol since they can't exist)

EDIT: Apparently back-released velar clicks are a thing, never mind
Still, I replace it for a bilabial click. Best to keep things simple.
I also switched out the orthography for Cyrillic and it still looks ugly. Mostly because of Cyrillic small and big yus which are ugly as hell.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]